Author Topic: Random level sharing topic!  (Read 92652 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Re: Random level sharing topic!
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2020, 09:49:59 PM »
Dang, both backroutes.  I guess I'm glad they weren't nominated now.  Pity.  Still, nice way of managing the Climber on SUNSOFT Swindle.  I also found my own backroute on that level, so I'm going to have to think about those.  Damn!

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2020, 11:34:15 PM »
Dang, both backroutes.  I guess I'm glad they weren't nominated now.  Pity.  Still, nice way of managing the Climber on SUNSOFT Swindle.  I also found my own backroute on that level, so I'm going to have to think about those.  Damn!

Don't feel bad, backroutes are a good thing. My levels get backrouted* all the time! I think that levels with multiple possible solutions are generally more enjoyable to play than levels which enforce a very specific solution; all players think differently and approach puzzles differently, so the more possibilities there are, the more accessible the level. Of course, there is a definite satisfaction from finding the intended solution, but depending on the difficulty and the design of the level, that may or may not be possible for some players.

That said, I do generally try to fix backroutes that completely bypass the main part of the puzzle, and then after that I'm happy for the level's solution to be up for grabs. In fact, the pack I'm working on at the moment aims to provide multiple solution possibilities for a lot of the levels.

These two levels presented a decent challenge; I may have found alternative solutions to those intended, but they still required a lot of consideration. I'll put your SUNSOFT remix up for nomination actually (if it's eligible), I think it's a good level just as it is!

*just to be clear, in this context I'm using the term "backroute" to refer to any solution that deviates from the intended one in a significant enough way for it to be clearly noticeable.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:42:20 PM by WillLem »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2020, 11:44:07 PM »
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.  I'm taking a bit longer to patch the backroute you found, since it does bypass the main solution (and the 'swindle').  In the meantime, here is V6 of Denial.  I was hoping to not have to put a steel wall there.  It might be patchable via other means while keeping that red herring open.  I'll think about it.

UPDATE: Well, the steel wall is still there, but I've removed a sort-of backroute that allows you to solve the level in almost the intended way, but without the use of the trick required.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:23:09 AM by Crane »

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2020, 01:12:39 AM »
Replay recorded on V7.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2020, 01:22:28 AM »
*sighs* V8!  It's starting to feel like all the red herrings are vanishing one-by-one.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2020, 02:16:17 AM »
And V9.  Trying to reintroduce that red herring!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2020, 02:32:54 AM »
For those who are curious or want to try it out, here is V4 of "Last Lemming Standing", the level that inspired Rule 3 of Contest #19!

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2020, 02:50:43 AM »
Well, after a pretty impressive 100% solution that was found BEFORE the intended solution... here's V10 that hopefully patches that little stunt!

UPDATE: Updated to V11, since a bomber variation of that trick still worked.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:58:18 AM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2020, 01:31:26 PM »
Version 12 of Denial and version 9 of SUNSOFT Swindle.  Hopefully all is fixed!

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 28, 2020, 03:55:30 AM »
Whilst I'm on a bit of a level-creation roll at the mo, here's one I riffed together this evening, just a bit of fun:

Level Name: Occam's Razor

Difficulty: Easy

Graphic Set: Marble

Preview:

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 28, 2020, 05:31:46 AM »
Version 17 of Denial.  Trying to keep the layout clean as well.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 28, 2020, 06:56:19 AM »
Just made another level using the same layout as "SUNSOFT Swindle".  This one is called "Crunch Time".  Hard to say if it's easier or harder though.  A little bit of precision may be involved.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2020, 12:34:08 AM »
A Hunt The Nessy speedrun remix:

Time: Infinite (my solve record is 1:41.18)
Lemmings: 1
Save Requirement: 1
Skills Used: (1 Swimmer, 1 Climber - pre-assigned from hatch), 2 Bashers, 2 Fencers.

Also modified the terrain slightly in a few places so the swimmer could climb out.

See if you can beat this time/skill usage!

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2020, 03:04:39 AM »
And, a teaser from my upcoming remix pack Lemmings Recurring.

This is a concept remix pack featuring 36 of the original levels with the release rate set to 99, the amount of Lemmings set to 99, the save requirement also set to 99, and always 9 of each skill per level. In some cases, the terrain has also been slightly adapted to make the puzzle either solvable, or more difficult!

This is One Way Digging To Freedom. Give it a try and see if you can figure out the trick!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2020, 03:36:49 AM »
Yes, a couple of useful tricks to know here.