Author Topic: What NeoLemmix options do you use? Let's cull the other ones!  (Read 14936 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
NeoLemmix has an ever growing variety of options and hotkeys. Among them are certainly some that noone still uses, because once upon a time they were useful, but newer features made them redundant. These clutter the options menu and make NeoLemmix harder to use for new players. So to determine which options and hotkeys are actually in use, I would appreciate if you could
1) Send me your file NeoLemmix147Settings.ini (located in the same directory as your NeoLemmix.exe).
2) Tell me what hotkey functions you used during the last two or three months. If you haven't played levels recently, then extend the time period as appropriate.
3) Tell me whether you use any of the Debug option (like Infinite Skills or Skill Overrides).
Either post your answers here or send me a PM.

After some time (probably when one week passed without anyone answering/sending me anything), I will post a summary and we can discuss which options to cull.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
Re: What NeoLemmix options do you use? Let's cull the other ones!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
1) Attached.
2) I've remapped nearly everything that I use, so I've attached the hotkeys. Maybe I've remapped even what I don't use. I don't believe I know precisely what I've used either. I'd probably err towards listing too many keys because it's easy to conjure scenarios where they'd be useful.
3) Never used them, but I don't build or maintain NL levels.

-- Simon
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:27:43 PM by Simon »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:34:12 PM »
I've attached mine as well; I haven't used NL much because DROD takes up most of my gaming time, but I'm definitely interested in playing when I have time.

Hotkeys: I use save replay, load replay, directional select, pause, restart level, forward and back 1 second, and forward 10 seconds.

Never used debug options.

Online IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:55:57 PM »
1) attached

2) I use the standard layout. Most used hotkeys are: Time skips, pause, FF, savestates, hightlighting, directional select, walker select, replay, toggle music/sound.....
    ---> It would be better to list what I don't use ;P:  I select all skils via mouse, so I don't use hotkeys for skills, RR, nuke. Also the edit replay feature isn't used, I rather see the stuff. But I think that's about it.

3) never used the debug mode. ---> the editor is the debug mode     so I recommed cull there ;)  YES ICHO SAYS CULL!! :lem-mindblown:

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 10:11:48 PM »
I use frame skip back/forward (big skip and little skip for each), ff, restart,  save/load replay, cancel replay, image, pause, directional select, select walker, clear physics, toggle music, select lemming, quit. Never noticed the fall distance one but I will use that now as well!

I have never used a debug option besides the one that validates your levels (if that even counts).

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 11:54:35 PM »
1) Attached

2) Things I use: pause, zoom in/out, clear physics mode, frame skips, next/previous skill (i.e. the hotkeys that scroll along the skill bar), fast forward, fall distance template, restart, and quit.

3) Never used any of the debug options.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 12:42:28 AM »
I've never used debug mode; not even sure at the moment what it's for.  Isn't just using the editor as easy as whatever that's for?

I use pretty much all of the hotkeys (that I know of; I'm sure there are a couple I do not, as it seems I can never keep up), maybe not all of them constantly but save state, reverse, forward all have uses. I rarely use clear physics mode. I don't use edit replay feature; being new though I haven't read up on it or even understand it. But honestly, from what I can guess, it seems superfluous.

If the save state system gets changed like namida said he planned; I most definitely will continue using that.
I use the minimap exclusively to scroll. I never move the mouse to the border to scroll in fact I dislike this feature; I'd prefer having to hold down another button to move the screen or something along the lines which Lix does.

I might put this in the other or a new topic/// Don't let me hijack the thread//

The "Don't replay on Backwards frameskips" button option is still wacky;

-leaving this unchecked [Which upon reading it a user would assume means Replay WILL happen on a backwards frame skip] no replay happens on backwards frame skip.
-Checking doesn't effect backwards frame skip at all; but rather makes no replay happen on restarting. ??? ???

Okay to make it as clear as I possibly can; here is exactly what I personally would prefer:
-no replay on backwards frame skip; whether option or permanent, as long as it's possible.
-replaying on restarting
-a separate button to restart WITHOUT replaying.

With the current options this isn't possible to choose the latter two options while playing a level it's only permanently set to one or the other.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 10:49:47 AM »
I use default hotkey config.

Used very often
- Restart
- Pause (via middle click)
- Fall distance ruler
- Fast forward
- Load replay
- Frameskips (one frame, forward 10sec, back 1sec)
- Select walker
- Directional select
- Zoom

Used less often but still fairly frequently
- Replay insert
- Edit replay
- Clear physics
- Save replay
- Pause (via P)
- Frameskips (forward 5 sec, back 5 sec)
- Highlight

Rarely used
- Save image
- Release mouse
- Cheat
- Select unused lemming
- Show athlete info

Never use during normal gameplay (ie: excludes testing or unusual circumstances)
- Skill selection (including "previous skill" / "next skill")
- Toggle sound / music
- Cancel replay
- Save / load state (but this might change in the future due to the improvements to these features)

Anything not listed here, I forgot; it should not be assumed it falls into "never use".

Some of these, although I don't personally use often, there is good reason to keep them. For example, the "select unused lemming" key is rarely useful during normal gameplay, but crucial for talisman challenges with a "one skill per lemming" requirement.

Please note, the config file I've attached is from a V10.13.16 experimental.

If the save state system gets changed like namida said he planned; I most definitely will continue using that.
Latest experimental already includes this, try it out. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:09:08 AM »
Big list of hotkeys (click to show/hide)

I have never used a debug option in my life.

Offline bsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 04:00:03 PM »
I have not used several of the hotkeys for newer stuff simply because I am not familiar with all the features the NeoLemmix engine now has.

The keys I use all the time are all the time control stuff.
Keys that I use less often but still regularly use are the release rate, nuke, directional select, clear physics, and replays.
Keys I used to use (on older engines or non-neolemmix engines) are the select skill button keys; with the current skill system I find it easier to use the mouse to select skills.

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 08:21:35 PM »
Attached

I mainly use the default hotkeys, but with save replay mapped to "S". I use pause through both F11 (out of habit) and P (if i remember it is on P).
I sometimes toggle the mode for seeing triggers on some levels.

Often used
Restart
Pause
Fall distance ruler
Fast forward & frameskips
Walker select & directional select
Save replay (I don't auto-save unless I am testing levels for others).

Sometimes used
Highlighting
Toggle music
Save/Load state
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 06:26:49 PM »
I haven't changed settings or hotkeys and I haven't used debug options.

Default hotkeys I use very often:
- Restart
- Quit
- Pause (F11)
- Select skills (F3-F10)
- Fast forward
- Skip 10 seconds
- Save state and load state
- Save replay and load replay
- Directional select

Hotkeys I started using pretty often just recently:
- Fall distance template
- Clear physics mode

Hotkeys I use sometimes:
- Toggle sound and toggle music
- Highlight a lemming

Stuff I do with my mouse:
- Click to cancel replay
- Click to skip one frame forward during pause
- Adjust release rate
- Select other skills than the original 8
- Browse minimap
- And very rarely one frame skip back clicking the button for it

Learned that there's "Select walker", I'll try to use a hotkey for that from now on instead of "Highlight lemming".

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 11:41:50 PM »
I don't THINK I've rebound any of the hotkeys, but am vehemently against the removal of the option to rebind keys.
It's been a bit since I played so I had to remind myself what I normally use. I'm almost certainly using an older version of NeoLemmix right now. Will probably update it next time I do some serious playing.

Most commonly used hotkeys:
 - Restart (R)
 - Cancel Replay (C)
 - Fast Forward (F)
 - Skip 10? Seconds (spacebar - not entirely certain if the time interval is correct, but if you start a builder and press space, the builder is laying the last brick).
 - Framestepping
 - Directional Select

Very rarely use:
Save state - I usually forget it exists and restart and play the replay back until I'm where I want to be. If I remembered it existed it would probably be more useful.

Situational:
 - Clear physics - I like the idea of it, but I mainly see it as a tool for dealing with really hard-to-read tilesets or for checking to see if something in an unfamiliar tileset is a trap. I actually don't know what the hotkey for it is, and I might not have ever downloaded the version it was added in.
 - Highlight lemming
 - Insert skill assignment without cancelling replay

Should get into the habit of using:
 - Select walker - IIRC my habit was to move the cursor around a bit until the lemming info says what I want it to.

Notably Never Use:
 - Click to cancel replay. I always either overwrite it with a new skill assignment, or cancel it with C - usually the latter.

I was going to request that "ignore replay skill selection" be kept because I hate the replay skill selection, but it looks like it was already culled a while ago, with the "ON" behavior kept, and the "OFF" behavior culled - i.e. exactly how I prefer it.

The only debug skill I could see being useful is Infinite Skills, since you could use it to try things that wouldn't normally be possible in a level without having to make an edit (for things like, say, the "Which levels can you beat using only one of each skill" challenge, for levels that don't give you at least one of each skill). I don't see much use in keeping the others around.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:47:46 PM by Dullstar »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
I don't THINK I've rebound any of the hotkeys, but am vehemently against the removal of the option to rebind keys.

The option to rebind hotkeys, in general, is not going to be removed. What is up for some consideration is (a) whether certain functions for hotkeys need to exist or can be removed; and possibly (b) whether the default hotkey layout should be changed.

- Skip 10? Seconds (spacebar - not entirely certain if the time interval is correct, but if you start a builder and press space, the builder is laying the last brick).

Yes, (by default) spacebar is a 10 second skip. The newest experimental versions (and future stable versions, obviously) have an even better feature for dealing with construction skills though - a key (by default, it's the ] key) which will skip until either (a) no lemming is platforming, building or stacking or (b) any lemming becomes a shrugger, even if other lemmings are still building / platforming / stacking. Especially useful if dealing with multiple constructive skills at the same time, or if dealing with stackers (which are finished much quicker than platformers or builders).

I was going to request that "ignore replay skill selection" be kept because I hate the replay skill selection, but it looks like it was already culled a while ago, with the "ON" behavior kept, and the "OFF" behavior culled - i.e. exactly how I prefer it.

Yeah, this was removed when the NXRP format for replays was introduced. NXRPs don't even save information on skill selection, only on skill assignments.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »
Thank you all for your option settings and hotkey usage! :thumbsup:

In this post I will summarize the results of the poll and then make a second post regarding proposed changed.

Usage of Debug options:
Noone uses them.

NeoLemmix Options:
Save Successful Replays Automatically:    Yes: 8No: 6
Only Cancel Replay on Cancel Hotkey:    Yes: 0No: 14
Don't Replay After Backwards Frameskip:    Yes: 1      No: 13
Manually Saved Replay Naming:
      Auto, Overwrite Old File:Yes: 1
      Auto, Confirm Overwrite:Yes: 0
      Auto, Add Timestamp:Yes: 10
      Ask For Filename:Yes: 3
Enable Online Features:Yes: 9 No: 5
Enable Update Check:Yes: 5 No: 9
Update Styles Automatically:Yes: 2 No: 12
Pause After Backwards Frameskip:Yes: 10 No: 4
Lemming Count Blink:Yes: 1 No: 13
Timer Blink:Yes: 11 No: 3
Black Out Zero-Skill Count:Yes: 11 No: 3
Disable Background Images:Yes: 2 No: 12
Disable Skill Shadows:Yes: 0 No: 14      (Ron_Stard requested this)
Show Minimap:Yes: 8 No: 2
Zoom:
      Fullscreen:Yes: 9
      Windowed, 3x:Yes: 2
      Windowed, 4x:Yes: 3
Music Enabled:Yes: 10 No: 4
Sound Enabled:Yes: 12 No: 2
Success Jingle:Yes: 5 No: 9
Failure Jingle:Yes: 4 No: 10

Hotkey usage (sorted by frequency of usage)
Timeskip:    13   
Pause:    12
Directional Select Lem:    12
Fast Forward:    11
Restart Level:    10
Save/Load Replay:    10
Clear Physics Mode:    8
Fall Dist Template:    7
Quit:    7(Likely some forgot to mention this hotkey)
Highlight Lem:    7
Select Walker:    7
Toggle Music/Sound:    6
Save/Load State:    5
Save Image:    4
Select Skill:    4
Zoom In/Out:    4
Edit Replay:    4
Cancel Replay:    3
Inc/Dec RR:    2
Nuke:    2
Release Mouse:    2
Next/Prev Skill:    1
Replay Insert Mode:    1
Show Athlete Info:    1
Cheat:    1
Select Unused Lem:    0
Special Skip:    0
(Note: I haven't counted hotkeys that people say, they use only rarely.)

Edit: Corrected the counts for "Lemming Count Blink".
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:10:13 PM by Nepster »