Author Topic: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (closed topic)  (Read 16080 times)

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
Re: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (Currently: Round 1, Section 2)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
Thanks a lot for the effort being made by everyone! That's why I love this community  :thumbsup:
YouTube channel about video game music, retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 02:13:02 PM »
OK, here are my votes for Section 2:

Fun 27: Cool level design. Has many solutions which is ideal for a Fun level.
Taxing 16: Very relevant title, and requires a bit of teamwork and multitasking to succeed.
Taxing 18: Interesting method to get up the OWW without climbers.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 05:13:06 PM »
An extremely difficult decision this round. I voted for:

Fun 27 -- Elegant concept and layout, excellent variety of solutions / challenges, particularly the "short cut" which is always fun to show off to players who haven't seen it before.

Tricky 12 -- Another nice layout with a variety of routes to the exit. The 2-of-each challenge is very elegant. Setting the RR to 99 and mass assigning floaters is a nice bit of stress relief  :P

(I would also have liked to vote for Tricky 13, another favourite among the 20-of-everything levels, and I'm kinda sad that it's only got one vote so far  :'( )

Taxing 18 - Great fun to execute the normal solution, and the builders only + 1 floater is a really elegant challenge. Also, I love Escher  8)

Offline LJLPM

• View Profile
Re: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (Currently: Round 1, Section 1)
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
I do love Lemmings but I have no way of knowing all the levels by only the titles.

Same issue here, not everyone has played through the levels over and over again. Though I just look them up here: http://tle.vaarties.nl/lemmings/solutions/amiga/fun/1/10/

Maybe you could give jLevelBrowser a try. I released it recently:
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=1060.msg22176#msg22176

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 10:03:49 PM »
Yeah, nice to see that many people voting, it might give a rough information about how many people are active on the forums daily or almost daily, since the topic of the poll is pretty much something that most Lemmings forumers can speak out.

This is a suggestion that I thought of just; it would be nice if you namida write the scores/votes of the levels down somewhere after each round and reveal them all after the whole voteoff is finished and we have the most popular level, it would be nice to see statistics how we voted in every round to see what levels were the most popular in which groups. But those scores/votes shouldn't be revealed before the whole voteoff is finished, so they aren't going to affect at all how we will vote, so we can be as honest as we can be and there would be as little as possible "tactical" voting.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »
I didn't save them for the first round, so that one would be missing, but okay, I'll do that for the rounds from now on. I do remember that Poles Apart had an outright first place, and A Beast Of A Level was one vote behind it (but I don't remember if it was 2nd place or 3rd place that had a tie between two levels).

Anyway - I'm wondering, since all the votes we've had for this round were in within about 12 hours of putting it up - should I shorten the duration of a round to 24 (or maybe 36) hours? The intention behind 48 was making sure everyone had time to vote, but since it seems everyone's getting in very quickly, that may not need to be that long.

Also - not sure if I mentioned this yet - my votes for this round were:
- Tricky 12 "Bitter Lemming" - It's a somewhat unique layout, and there's several ways to solve it.
- Taxing 2 "Watch Out, There's Traps About" - This is another one of those levels that I've always liked but can't really say a reason why.
- Taxing 18 "Tribute to M.C.Escher" - Back when I played the first time, I didn't realise that the harder versions of most levels were actually made first, so this level struck me as a very creative re-use of a level. I've liked it since then, despite being somewhat builder-heavy.

Next round isn't up yet as the 48 hours isn't up, it will be in another hour or so.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (Currently: Round 1, Section 3)
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
Alright, second section is over. The qualifying levels are:

* Fun 27 "Let's be careful out there"
* Tricky 12 "Bitter Lemming"
* Taxing 02 "Watch out, there's traps about"
* Taxing 16 "Mary Poppins' land"
* Taxing 18 "Tribute to M.C.Escher"

New section is up. :) A lot of Tricky levels in this one - in fact it was only one Tricky level short of having to be re-rolled under the rule about not too many levels from a single section.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 03:00:42 PM »
It's Cascade, The Crankshaft and How do I dig up the way? for me, this time.

Just a quick note, though - the level image for Rainbow Islands is linked to the name for How do I dig up the way?, for some reason. ;)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 03:20:29 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out; fixed it. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
My votes are in for Tricky 9, Tricky 25, and Tricky 30.

Tricky 9 is interesting because there's steel preventing an easy route down to the exit. I like 25 because the idea of using (and splatting) certain lemmings makes it fun. 30 because it's a solid Tricky challenge requiring the lemmings to go across without bashers.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 03:35:07 PM »
Mine this round were:

Tricky 18 - A pretty short and simple, but still clever, puzzle. I like how they took a level that looked almost specifically tailored to a single purpose (ie: teaching floaters) and managed to make an interesting puzzle out of it - the way the data files are structured would suggest that unlike most, the training levels came before their repeat versions. (And besides, it's a great job whichever order they were made in.)

Tricky 20 - Mostly it's another one I just like without any real reasons, but one thing that might be partly responsible for it is that Tricky 19 was the first level that was a major stumbling block for me the first time I played, so finally seeing this level after literally spending several weeks stuck on Tricky 19 was a great change.

Tricky 25 - Pretty much the same reasons Minimac said. In general, this is just a really unique style of level, and the not-so-obvious 100% solution is icing on the cake.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »
Not that it's a huge deal, but I've replaced the images of the four special graphics levels with ones that have the correctly-recolored objects (due to the way VGASPECs are now handled in the NeoLemmix editor, it doesn't adjust for these; so I saved images for these four levels from the traditional player).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
Only a minor thing, but some colourblind users (apart from me) aren't able to disguise the teal coloured text (which is the automatic colour for links) from the sky blue background in the option list. Can you please change them back to black or some other notable colour? It does work on my poll BTW.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 09:17:40 AM »
I don't think it's possible to override the link colors? However, I'm fairly sure most modern browsers or operating systems (not sure exactly where along the chain it happens) have accessibility options that should make the colors more user-friendly?
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »
Qualifying levels from this round are:

Tricky 09 "They just keep on coming"
Tricky 18 "It's Lemmingentry Watson"
Tricky 25 "Cascade"
Tricky 30 "The Crankshaft"
Taxing 29 "How do I dig up the way?"

New round is up! Sorry I was a bit late on this one.
My Lemmings projects