Author Topic: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (closed topic)  (Read 16077 times)

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (Currently: Round 1, Section 4)
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2014, 02:08:28 PM »
My votes for this one;

You Live and Lem - I always found the name amusing!

The Prison! - One of those atmosphere-centric levels that I really like, and it's got a couple of solutions, too. Very execution-focussed, but I like that. :thumbsup:

Steel Works - I remember having a great time figuring out the execution for this one.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (Currently: Round 1, Section 4)
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »
Alright, this round is over! Qualifying levels are:

Tricky 26 "I have a cunning plan"
Taxing 06 "Compression Method 1"
Taxing 26 "Triple Trouble"
Mayhem 01 "Steel Works"
Mayhem 03 "It's hero time!"

I'm sure everyone saw that last one coming. :P Surprised about Mayhem 1 though!

New round is up.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (Currently: Round 1, Section 5)
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »
OK, here are my votes - and to be honest, none of the others come as close as these three. ;)

Tricky 6: 5 lemmings, 20 per skill, and nice looking pits and eye candy too.
Tricky 23: Per Proxima's nicely written review.
Mayhem 20: Well, everyone's favourite revival, with the solution completely different to the original Fun method.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »
Note that you don't have to vote 3 every round, 2 or just 1 is fine (granted, I still have been voting 3 in all the rounds so far, despite some rounds having a bit of a toss-up for my 3rd choices).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »
Indeed - it's obvious that the forum doesn't force you to vote for three, and I also made a point of explicitly stating in the voteoff rules that the 3 votes (or however many for any given round) is only a maximum and that voting for less is fine.

Anyway, my votes for this round were exactly the same as Minimac's. Though Tricky 22 and Tricky 24 were contenders for the 3rd vote (in place of Tricky 6).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »
S***, completely forgot about this. Alright, done it now. Just a note to everyone - if it appears I'm forgetting about this for too long, feel free to PM me and remind me!

The qualifying levels from this round are:

Fun 09 "As long as you try your best"
Tricky 06 "Lemmingology"
Tricky 22 "Turn around young lemmings!"
Tricky 23 "From The Boundary Line"
Mayhem 20 "No added colours or Lemmings"

New round is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
Re: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (Currently: Round 1, Section 6)
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 09:56:32 PM »
These are my votes this time;

You need bashers this time
Lemming sanctuary in sight
Bomboozal

This was a tough one to vote on, as there are a lot of levels in there that I like for various reasons.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2014, 10:43:33 PM »
S***, completely forgot about this. Alright, done it now. Just a note to everyone - if it appears I'm forgetting about this for too long, feel free to PM me and remind me!

Don't worry too much about forgetting about it. In fact I'd rather give it a week before the next voting round so that there is some sort of structure between rounds.

Anyway, here are my votes:
Fun 5: Interesting tutorial level, because for the first time in the game you need to time your skills correctly. Timing goes a long way to completing the game...
Fun 10: Very simplistic, many solutions, eye candy and it's a short level too - perfect for Fun!
Mayhem 18: One of the ultimate steel challenges. Co-operating with four entrances. A classic Mayhem level. It's even available in the demo version too!

Other levels are either too long or too frustrating. Mayhem 6 would've been my choice for a fourth vote though, if it wasn't for that bombers/100% combo.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 12:36:02 AM »
In this one, the last time I did pay attention to it (which was shortly after the 48 hours but then I got distracted and forgot again), it had the same number of votes as when I did finally close that round. In fact, for the most part, it seems the majority of votes come in within the first 6-8 hours or so. A week would just be overkill - as you might've seen further back, I even considered shortening the rounds for this reason.

Anyway, my votes for this round were:

Taxing 21 - It's a somewhat unique puzzle, and the 100% requirement adds a significant amount of challenge to it.
Mayhem 6 - Another one I can't really put a reason to.
Mayhem 18 - Pretty much what Minimac said.

By the way, I'm making a slight change to the qualifying levels requirements from the 2nd round onwards (to keep it fair, it won't affect later sets of the first round; I also won't apply the changed rule to the 1st round in the ONML/etc voteoffs): For the 3rd place (or below) levels to qualify, they must have at least half as many votes as the 1st place levels, instead of simply having to have at least one vote. This is in addition to the existing rules. For example, if the 1st place level got 10 votes, and the limit isn't reached after 2nd place, then if the 3rd place levels have 4 votes they won't qualify, but if they have 5 then they will.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2014, 02:04:08 AM »
I'm basing my votes mostly on how much fun the levels were in the challenge threads :)

This round it was Fun 10, Mayhem 6 and Mayhem 18.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 03:16:41 AM »
Alright, this round is over! Qualifying levels are:

Fun 10 "Smile if you love lemmings"
Taxing 21 "Feel the heat!"
Mayhem 06 "One way or another"
Mayhem 18 "And then there were four...."
Mayhem 30 "Rendezvous at the Mountain"

New round is up.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Original Lemmings level voteoff! (Currently: Round 1, Section 7)
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 03:18:20 AM »
My votes this time... I'm not particularly a fan of any of the levels in this set, but there were two (not a full three) that I felt were worth voting for - Tricky 3 and Mayhem 26.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 03:49:54 AM »
I'm basing my votes mostly on how much fun the levels were in the challenge threads :)

You're definitely not alone, although I'm a little more narrow-minded (more prone to pick the ones where I had challenge solutions I particularly liked) and at the same time also try to balance in other factors like how the level is meant to be played.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »
My votes this time... I'm not particularly a fan of any of the levels in this set, but there were two (not a full three) that I felt were worth voting for - Taxing 3 and Mayhem 22

Taxing 3 requires the player to find a new way to hold the crowd without using blockers, as mentioned by Proxima's review; that completely stumped me when I was younger.
Mayhem 22 involves some cool-looking and challenging obstacles, it's a much less frustrating challenge than the Taxing one. I also love the music, especially the Acorn version.

Tricky 3 in the Level Review Topic looks "a little bit too basic", and Mayhem 26 is all about block-bombing, not my favourite task unless it takes the lemmings upwards.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2014, 12:44:11 AM »
Alright, the qualifying levels from this set are:

Fun 28 "If only they could fly"
Taxing 03 "Heaven can wait (we hope!!!!)"
Mayhem 10 "Pillars of Hercules"
Mayhem 26 "The Steel Mines of Kessel"
Mayhem 27 "Just a Minute (Part Two)"

Next round is up. :)
My Lemmings projects