Author Topic: Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)  (Read 35417 times)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Level Review - Lemmings Plus DOS Project
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2015, 01:44:33 AM »
With the announcement that the LPDOS/LPII/LPIIBonus levels are officially transitioning to NeoLemmix, we'll have to continue the game from the NeoLemmix version of LPDOS once the NeoLemmix version is out. But for now, we can continue in V10 since there aren't really any differences in a majority of the levels between the Traditional and Neo versions. EDIT: The official NeoLemmix version of LPDOS is now released and is now known as Lemmings Plus I.

However, the following level came from V10 of LPDOS.

Mild 25: Across the Ditch
53 Lemmings, 58% (31) to be saved
Release Rate 5
5 minutes
20 of each skill

Good: Another level with an excellent visual design in the Crystal style. Also, I find it to be a welcome change to use a random number for number of lemmings and the percentage to be saved, as opposed to using numbers that usually have a "0" or "5" in the ones digit.
Bad: Another out-of-place level that could work in Mild 11-20.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:47:07 AM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Level Review - Lemmings Plus I (formerly LPDOS)
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 06:07:33 AM »
The only changes in levels that have been covered so far that relate to things mentioned in the review are:

Mild 8 - That pesky not-behind-the-steel-block acid is fixed.
Mild 22 - Those redundant blockers are no longer there.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 10:31:39 PM »
I have edited my previous reviews slightly to account for the change to NeoLemmix.

Mild 26: No Salvation I

Lemmings: 50
Save: 50% = 25 lemmings
Release Rate: 99
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 10 of everything

Good: Many, many solutions to choose from...
Bad: ...but directly building to the exit works. Looks a bit messy.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 04:51:15 AM »

Mild 27 - The Quarantine
80 Lemmings
50% (40) to be saved
Release Rate 99
5 minutes
30 of each skill

Good: A really great level! This level seems to borrow elements from Fun 9 "As long as you try your best" due to the 99 release rate, the column and the shredders. This is also a great step-up in challenge; you need to find ways to trap your lemmings safely while one builds to the exit.
Bad: Even for a level that is a slight increase in difficulty, I still think 30 of each is a lot.

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »

Mild 28 - The Descending Pillar Scenario
80 Lemmings
50% (40) to be Saved
Release Rate 1
7 minutes
20 of everything

Good:A nice change in difficulty after two levels of slightly increased difficulty. Another multiple solution level. I like the title too and how it refers to Taxing 11 "The Ascending Pillar Scenario".
Bad:However, the title is somewhat misleading, since you do not necessarily have to descend down the pillars when you can just dig and mine down from the top.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2015, 01:17:45 PM »
Concerning Mild 28: The spoiler is not absolutely correct, unless

Mild 29: We All Die Someday (but hopefully not today ;))

Lemmings: 30
Save: 70% = 21 lemmings
Release Rate: 50
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 20 of everything

Good: A breather level before the final Mild-level in the rarely used rock style of ONML.
Okay: Watch out for the trap!
Bad: One of the less inspired levels, where most solutions will rely heavily on building. The level is not really an eye-candy with the uniform gray-brown of the rocks.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 01:31:12 PM »
Mild 28:

Mild 30 - You Just Lost the Game!!!
50 lemmings
50% (25) to be saved
Release Rate 50
5 Minutes
20 of each skill

Good: Indeed, this is a solid way to end the Mild rank; there are many obstacles to get around, and there are no easy solutions. We finally get our first Snow level of this rank, too! It's also a challenge to get 100% on this one.

Bad: There really isn't anything bad about this level.

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 06:29:54 PM »
Let's continue doing this after all years of inactivity! :thumbsup:

Wimpy 1 - Lemming Net
50 lemmings
50% (25) to be saved
Release Rate 75
15 of each skill

Good: I like the compact feel of the level and that the Lemmings have to cross the net (as the name implies) from the west nest to the right one.

Bad: It's A LOT easier than the previous level and any of the solutions doesn't really feel satisfying. The metal blocks in the top doesn't seem to fit that well and I would like the level a lot more if the Lemmings could actually die from falling through the small crack in them (even though it teaches the player about that stars in Lemmings can be walked on).
YouTube channel about retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »

Wimpy 2 - Lucky Charm

Lemmings: 20
Save: 16
Skills: 10 of every skill

Good: Interesting step up in difficulty with a higher save requirement, higher release rate, and lower skill count. The layout also creates an interesting challenge as it isn't as safe as Wimpy 1 and it is easy to get lemmings trapped and/or killed.
Bad: I honestly don't have anything negative to say about this level. I guess if I had to absolutely be nitpicky I can say that this level is still a step down in difficulty when compared to the last of Mild ???

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2018, 02:05:42 AM »

Wimpy 3 - Just For Fun

Lemmings: 40
Save: 36
Release Rate: 80

Good: This is a nice-looking level. The properties of the net aren't important to a "regular" solution, but come into play if you go for saving 100%.
Bad: The regular solution is virtually the same as the previous level; the only difference is you build before bashing instead of the other way around.

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »

Wimpy 4 - Saviour

Lemmings: 80
Save: 64
Release Rate: 50

Good: The name of the level directly reflects the solution which I really like. The flow of first trying to save the Lemmings to the right while also making the Lemmings to the left turn around is really good and fits the beginning of Wimpy very good.
Bad: Maybe a little too many Lemmings that can die during the level? Since we have so many skills in our arsenal it would be fun to let the player get creative in saving a few more lemmings instead of killing of the hero Lemming without any doubt.
YouTube channel about retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 07:29:06 PM »

Wimpy 5 - Get Together

Save: 16
Release Rate: 1

Good: Nice little puzzle revolving around getting the lemmings from the top portion of the level to the bottom. The level allows for multiple ways to go about this which makes it more interesting than the previous level.
Bad: Not much to say but (Nitpicky warning!) it's not much more difficult than the previous level.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 01:39:25 AM »

Wimpy 6 - Two Pathways

Lemmings: 80
Save: 64 (80%)
Release Rate: 50*
Skills: 20 of every skill

:tal-silver: A Skill For Every Path: Complete with max 2 total skills

*This is new-style release rate. As I'm playing the pack on new formats, I will only quote the new-style RR from now on.

Good: A fun puzzle with a variety of possible approaches. Saving 100% is a nice challenge as the thin terrain doesn't lend itself to crowd control.
Bad: The talisman, while interesting, is too easy for silver; with only two skills allowed there's only really one possibility. Also, the top-left exit, while needed for symmetry, is hardly ever going to be used as it's so much easier to send both groups to the lower exit.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2018, 01:43:54 AM »

Wimpy 7 - No Salvation II

Lemmings: 40
Save: 24
Skills: 8 of every skill

Good: Now that you have minus 2 of each skill players are forced to re-evaluate their strategy for these levels slightly...
Bad: ...but maybe too slightly as most solutions in the first version of this level would most likely not go beyond the 8 skills anyway.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2020, 03:32:44 PM »
I think we should continue this game, and see if we can revive the review games in general! :P For one thing, there are several new forum members who may be interested in participating, and LPI is one of the easier custom packs so the barrier to entry is fairly low. For another, it's a great way for a pack creator to get feedback on every level, when normally feedback concentrates on the levels that are more interesting (or more backroutable!)

Wimpy 8 - (Also, they are ninjas.)

To save: 16
Release rate: 60
Skills: 10 each of bombers, blockers, builders, bashers, miners, diggers.

Good: Nice-looking symmetrical design, very clean after the visual clutter of the previous level. The lack of climbers and floaters forces you to find other ways to get one crowd up and the other down.
Bad: The solution is very simple and doesn't test the player to go beyond what they've already had to do to solve preceding levels.