Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] GeoffLems  (Read 33748 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: GeoffLems - v1.0
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »
Since Geoffster hasn't been around for a while, I converted this pack to NXP so that people can play it on the up-to-date version of NeoLemmix.

http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelpacks/GeoffLems.nxp

Geoffster: If you're making further updates to this pack, you don't need to do anything special (apart from getting the latest version of the Flexi Toolkit) to create NXP files rather than EXEs.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
Started playing the NXP version of this pack on Friday and am part-way through mayhem rating as of writing.
Fantastic pack so far, really enjoying the taxing & mayhem ratings. Mayhem 15 had me stumped for quite a while before I realized I needed to / how to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
Since Geoffster isn't really active on the forums anymore, I'm working on bringing this pack up to modern standards and making a version that's compatible with the newer NL releases, as it really is a great pack and it's a shame that people can't play it without resorting to an older version of NL.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2017, 02:33:32 AM »
I went ahead and made an NXP of GeoffLems with NeoLemmix 10.13 (attached to first post in thread)
It's called v1.1 because I couldn't resist a few level tweaks, but nothing major.  I didn't want to spend too much further time on it.

the new NeoLemmix player features are really great.  nice work :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:49:41 AM by Geoffster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: GeoffLems - v1.1
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »
Okay, nevermind then. Didn't think you were still around. I'll leave it to you. :)
My Lemmings projects

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] GeoffLems
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »
I have completed this pack for NL Old Formats, so I have attached my solutions. This is the very first time I have ever played the pack, and I got to say I was quite impressed with a lot of the levels. I didn't really feel any real challenge until I reached the Taxing rank, but I really felt the difficulty once I got into Mayhem. The first real stumper for me was Taxing 28 - Swiss Cheese, surprisingly. Took me quite a while before I saw the solution. The next hard one after was Mayhem 8 - Four Houses, although it's a difficult one to execute, not necessarily a hard level. Mayhem 24 - Pyramid Scheme, Mayhem 25 - Main Floor, Please, and Mayhem 26 - Parking Garage were all difficult levels, I thought. I also remember playing Mayhem 24 and Mayhem 25 from somewhere. I don't remember where, though. Might had been RotL, although I think they might had been in some Dos level packs as well. They were difficult only because I couldn't remember the solutions to them. It's been a very long time since I played them. There were other levels in this pack I remember playing from somewhere before as well. I also remember Mayhem 8 from somewhere. For Mayhem 26, I got to say that it's one very awesome no builders level. I think I can see why it won as a contest level. The solution is quite ingenious, although it took me a while to spot it.

The only level that seems to be completely broken is the very last level. There is a fire pit just before the exit but the lemmings don't burn in it. I checked video solutions for that level, but no one goes through it and instead digs before it and then bashes. Needless to say, them not burning in it took me by complete surprise.

Also, I ran a mass replay check for the New Formats version, and 6 of my replays failed: Mayhem 5, Mayhem 14, Mayhem 23, Taxing 8, Taxing 9, and Tricky 7. Mayhem 5 fails due to how I made use of the solid ceiling in Old Formats, since it's deadly in New Formats, Mayhem 14 fails because the trigger area of the mashers is much bigger, Mayhem 23 fails either because my builder assignment was too late or the trigger area of the trap is bigger, so that's a very easy fix, Taxing 8 fails due to the expanded OWW, Taxing 9 fails because a builder assignment at the end is too early, so that's an easy fix as well, and Tricky 7 fails due to missing the exit trigger area after the basher finishes, so again easy fix. One was also undetermined, and that was Mayhem 3. The replay is just completely broken, I think because of how the level originally had an upside down entrance.

Overall, very nice pack, although I noticed a lot of the timers in the Mayhem rank are very huge.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2020, 02:08:41 PM »
Seems that Mayhem 8 is indeed a stumper. I looked back at my NL 12.7 installation to check my GeoffLems progress, and I've solved 1-5 and 7 and got stuck there :P

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »
Seems that Mayhem 8 is indeed a stumper. I looked back at my NL 12.7 installation to check my GeoffLems progress, and I've solved 1-5 and 7 and got stuck there :P

It's easier than you think it is. It's not a really hard level, just difficult to execute. Plenty of timing needed. I think the level is quite difficult the first time one plays it, and indeed it felt that way when I played it on Dos years ago. I don't remember which pack it came from, though. When I played it on NL, it didn't feel as hard despite how it's been a really long time since I last played it. 

You can beat it, Proxima. I know you can :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
Downloaded the very Old Formats v1.0 of Geofflems and just finished playing it through. Here is my complete set of replays for v1.0 of the pack. This set of replays can only be played in NL v1.43. Again, these replays likely won't be of interest to anyone, but I'm attaching my replays just for completeness. All the levels are the same as v1.1 of the pack, although there is some level ordering differences in both the Fun and Tricky ranks. So yes, I know it was pretty much pointless for me to play the same pack with the exact same levels all over again despite the two pack versions compatible with only a specific NL player, but I did it anyway. I played all these levels from scratch, and so all my solutions are new from my v1.1 solutions (see reply #50 for my v1.1 replays, those are for v10.13.8).

There were some Mayhem levels that I couldn't remember how I solved in v1.1 for v10.13 of NL, notably Mayhem 6 - Knots and Mayhem 18 - Now this is a Predicament. My solutions to these two levels ended up being very different from my v1.1 solutions. It's surprising that I struggled with these two levels this time around, although I was pretty much dead tired so I think that affected my thinking greatly. Mayhem 26 - Main Floor, Please is also different in that there's no extra piece of terrain that prevents climbers from climbing back out to the left in the steel pit at the top, which is present in v1.1, and so the solution is very different in the latter. IMO, that extra piece of terrain causes the level to be much harder in v1.1 than in v1.0. Finally, there are two levels here that aren't in v1.1: Tricky 17 - Nothing is Easy and Mayhem 21 - Roger's Pass, which is a repeat of Tricky 20 - Watch for Falling Rocks. The Mayhem level is definitely harder than the original, although it was still a quick solve for me, taking me about 5 minutes. My initial solution had me saving 1 over the requirement, but a few minutes later while pondering the next level, I realized that I could save everyone in Mayhem 21, and so I went back and quickly refined my solution for the level with one by replacing all the other climber skill assignments with just a single miner.

edit: I forgot to mention that I changed my solution completely for Mayhem 30, as I don't like the one I used for v1.1 for NL v10.13.8. In the latter, my solution has the lemmings go through the fire pit trap before the exit without burning. However, I just watched Swerdis's solution to Mayhem 30, and he also goes through it. All other solutions I've seen have lemmings dig before the fire trap and then bash to the exit. So, this leads me to believe that the lemmings not burning up is indeed intentional due to the placement of the fire box trap, or, as I believe to be the case here, that it's simply a misleading design in the fire box trap to make it look like it's supposed to burn and kill the lemmings but it doesn't. Anyone know? 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:36:41 PM by kaywhyn »