Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] GeoffLems  (Read 33549 times)

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
[NeoLemmix] GeoffLems
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:50:18 AM »
EDIT by namida: Unofficial conversion to NeoLemmix V12.XX.XX is now available.

v1.1

Release Notes
- updated to use Neo Lemmix v10.13.xx
- autosteel
- no more timed bombings
- backroute fixes

NeoLemmix Player: http://www.neolemmix.com/?page=neolemmix

NXP file: Attached to post

:compat-ver-10-13::compat-yes:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:09:06 AM by namida »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: GeoffLems - v0.01 (remake of the original Lemmings)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 01:58:18 AM »
It's great to see the amount of new levels coming out lately - especially, those that are in the Lemmix format! :D I'll definitely have a look at these at some point today.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 03:24:58 AM »
Okay, some comments.

First, the version of Lemmix player on Eric's website is a bit outdated - I'd reccomend using the one here. Since you say you avoid glitches and stuff, you could possibly even look at using NeoLemmix for your pack.

If you'd like, I can build a player for you (in either Lemmix or NeoLemmix) that includes all your level files internally, so that you just need to distribute the one EXE file (and the readme, of course). This would also mean that some other things can be customised, such as the title screen logo and the difficulty rank signs and names.

Now, onto the level-specific stuff. I've only played Fun so far, and won't comment on every level:

Fun 5 - It's a bit of a jump from the previous levels, but was definitely creative and fun.
Fun 6 and Fun 7 - These are both great examples of levels that look tricky, but turn out to be quite easy (which they should be for early-Fun position), great job. :)
Fun 8 - I like both the variety of solutions to this level, and how you've made the trap barely visible but in a way that, if spotted, clearly can be identified as a trap. :)
Fun 9 - The exit somewhat hanging over the sides of the block looks a bit strange. The solution to the level is nothing really special, but the visual design of it (apart from that thing with the exit) is really neat! :D
Fun 11 - Pretty nice level! :D
Fun 12 - This is cool! I like how at first it would appear to be an annoying fidgety build-against-diagonal level, but if you look closer there's a way around all that - and the level title also hints at this. :)
Fun 13 - This is a really interesting level! :)
Fun 15 - It appears the steel areas aren't placed too well - though to be fair, under non-Neo Lemmix, that is quite hard to get right, and my packs don't really have it perfect either. Nice level though.
Fun 17 - Another level with a really interesting design! :)
Fun 18 - This seems to be the first level that requires a bit of clever thinking to it - and still very well suited to its position. A nice level for sure!
Fun 19 - Simplistic design but quite a fun one. :) Though... the screen start position seems a bit weird?
Fun 22 - A neat design, though it does take a bit of time to execute...
Fun 24 - Another cool design, and fairly fun to play too. :)
Fun 27 - Neat design. While this is a general thing with this pack (so far), I really like the variety of methods that can be used for this level!
Fun 28 - Screen start position is a bit strange on this one too. Not a bad level though.
Fun 30 - A very nice concept, a pretty cool design, and I'd say a good level to finish off Fun with. :)

Some general comments post-playing Fun:
- You've done a great job on avoiding tediousness. There is the odd level that can be a bit like that, but precisely because they're rare (two levels out of the entire rank that I might consider to be a bit on that side), they don't get annoying at all.
- I really like how the levels have a variety of solutions and do indeed maintain a similar feel to Fun from the original game. Most can be solved with a "block off the crowd and use a worker lemming" approach, which is good for newer players; while at the same time there are other options available, which is good for the more experienced players who get a bit tired of doing that every level. :D
- There's a slight purely-graphical issue in general with your one-way arrows. One-way arrows should generally be set with the "only draw on terrain" flag set ("Gr" in LemEdit, "Only on terrain" in Lemmix editor), that's how the original game has them to disappear when the terrain is removed.
- I'd also say you've done a pretty good job in varying the graphic sets you use, this can be pretty hard to do when you don't have too many to work with (like in this case, where you're only using the Orig ones, not the OhNo ones).

I'll probably look at Tricky later on today. Here's my replays for how I solved Fun - though as I noted, in a lot of levels I was able to find a variety of solutions (which is definitely a very good thing for Fun). Note that I used the updated player that I linked in the previous post, so try with that if any replays don't work (although in general I've never known any compatibility issues between the two, apart from in some levels with three entrances as the older version doesn't have the correct release order under a certain mechanics set (not sure off-hand which one it was wrong in)). Also note that one of them it may look like it's stopped mid-way, but this is actually because I'm waiting for the last lemming to become the new worker after using the terrain to naturally trap the crowd - wait for him to come along and the action will resume. :P
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:31 AM »
Great comments, thanks!  I will definitely check out the newer versions of Lemmix / NeoLemmix, especially if they are better at tuning steel.  Glad to hear the tediousness in FUN is not so bad, apart from a couple levels.

Taxing & Mayhem are not as polished as Fun & Tricky, so if there are any WTF moments going forward it's possibly a bug...

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 04:43:49 AM »
The newer version of Lemmix does not change anything with steel, it just adds a few more fine-control features, and improves the accuracy of replicating the original game's functionality. The goal of regular Lemmix is not to improve anything, but rather, to replicate the original games as accurately as possible; glitches, limitations and all.

NeoLemmix on the other hand does indeed improve steel mechanics. Rather than using steel areas, you can just select an option "Autosteel" which will automatically apply steel areas to the metal terrain pieces. (There's also an option "Ignore Level Steel", to save you having to go and manually delete the steel areas you've already set). It also, unlike the original, actually makes steel properly indestructible, while still allowing surrounding non-steel to be destroyed. I attached a screenshot for comparison (using Fun 11 of the original game) to show the result of bombing in both.

The top line is standard Lemmix, the bottom line is NeoLemmix. The ones on the left are bombed directly on the steel, the ones on the right I first placed one builder step, then bombed from on top of that. In all four, the bomber was placed at the exact same position in terms of left-to-right - he was positioned so that if made into a blocker, his hand would be two pixels into the wall.

Results, as you can see:

Traditional, on steel: Nothing is destroyed.
Traditional, on step: Part of the wall and part of the steel are destroyed.
NeoLemmix, both: The steel is untouched, the wall is partly destroyed, either way.

Also worth noting is that trigger areas and object/steel positioning work pixel-perfect in NeoLemmix instead of having to align to a grid, so you don't have to, for example, place exits somewhat stuck in the ground (like on your Fun 9), or have one-way fields that don't quite perfectly line up with the terrain (like on Fun 5).

The NeoLemmix topic contains conversions of most of the official games to NeoLemmix (although Orig needs a few small details fixed still, and OhNo, Holiday 94 and the "Extra" levels (from Genesis, Sega, and other versions) aren't properly converted yet), but if you really want to see NeoLemmix used to it's full potential, the only pack that currently exists that was designed from the ground up for it is my own Lemmings Plus III.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 07:20:36 AM »
I PM'd you with a download for a slightly modified version of the Orig NeoLemmix player, specifically, it applies the "Enable Autosteel" and "Ignore Level Steel" options on all levels. You can use that to test how well you feel it works for your levels.

Anyway, on to Tricky:

Tricky 1 - A nice level, feels like a good step up from Fun while still being fairly simple.
Tricky 2 - I like the idea of this one! :)
Tricky 4 - Nice!
Tricky 5 - The level execution was a bit annoying, but the design of the level is very nice!
Tricky 6 - This one is pretty neat! Though I wonder what the level name is meant to refer to? Or is it just random?
Tricky 10 - This level does feel like it's drawn out a bit longer than it needs to be, but the concept and the visual appearance are great.
Tricky 12 - Assuming my solution is the way that this is meant to be done, that kind of accuracy in bomber timing feels a bit too hard for mid-Tricky...
Tricky 13 - This is a pretty neat level. :D
Tricky 15 - I didn't think too much of this one, to be honest... :/
Tricky 16 - Bomber timing is generally not thought too highly of... This will also be problematic if you decide to go with NeoLemmix, as bombers are no longer timed there (they go straight to "Ohno!" as soon as they're assigned).
Tricky 20 - Gameplay wise I didn't think too much of this level, but visually it's VERY nice!
Tricky 21 - This level was really neat! :D
Tricky 25 - The time limit is annoyingly tight on this one... :/
Tricky 26 - Assuming I didn't miss something, I think that's a bit too much precision required for a Tricky level. Not a bad level though at all, it's quite good, just a bit misplaced.
Tricky 27 - This is a GREAT level! :D Though again, I feel it's slightly hard for the position.

My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:08:38 AM »
First half of Taxing.

Taxing 1 - I think I might've found a backroute* here?
Taxing 2 - This level was EXCELLENT! It took me a while to realise what to do here.
Taxing 3 - This one can be a bit fiddly to execute, but is a nice level.
Taxing 8 - Despite the name, I thought this was a pretty good level. :)
Taxing 10 - This level was actually pretty hard! Good level though.
Taxing 13 - I initially tried a similar approach to the Fun version of this level, but it didn't work out too well. The solution I found in the end was fairly interesting.
Taxing 14 - Time is a bit tight here and doesn't appear to serve any purpose, apart from that, great level!
Taxing 15 - Another slightly strangely-placed screen start position. The level itself is definitely on the easy side, but quite fun. :)

* Since you're new here, you might not know what this means. A "backroute" is a solution that was not intended to be possible. Some of us only consider a solution a "backroute" if it's easier than the intended one or avoids using a trick the level is meant to require using.

These are definitely some very good levels! Just wondering, have you released levels in the past under another name? It just seems that this pack is VERY high quality, especially for a first-timer. :P
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 10:44:44 AM »
Second half of Taxing.

Taxing 16 - This one was an interesting concept. I think the save requirement could be a fair bit higher though - I didn't put *that* much effort into it and still managed 77%.
Taxing 17 - This level is FAR too easy for Taxing... unless you overlooked the way I did it. :P
Taxing 18 - This one took me a while, mostly because I was looking for a left-side solution. When I thought to try the right-side, I found it fairly quickly.
Taxing 19 - A bit simple, but definitely VERY original. :D
Taxing 20 - The start of this level was great, but the end part seemed somewhat pointless...
Taxing 22 - This was a pretty neat level.
Taxing 24 - Another one where the screen start doesn't seem to be set properly... also, I'm pretty sure I found a backroute, as there was no "timing" involved in my solution. :P
Taxing 25 - Great level, though I think it'd be more suited to Mayhem than Taxing.
Taxing 27 - Interesting level, though a bit easy for late-Taxing (definitely would be well suited to early or mid Taxing, though). Also, this level has the "faulty exit" problem.
Taxing 28 - You've overlooked that it's possible to fall directly into an exit. :P Unless that's what you intended, of course.
Taxing 29 - Once again, there's a mechanics detail you've overlooked - although this one is generally considered a glitch (and as such, would not work in NeoLemmix).
Taxing 30 - This trick is VERY well known by now, just saying... :P

We're starting to get into the point where firstly, the levels are starting to get quite challenging, and secondly, backroutes are starting to show up. These two things generally do tend to go hand in hand, so it's nothing to feel bad about - just something you have to fix for the next update! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
Wow, namida, you've already finished most of the game.
I can't really take a look at it because I'm working on Holiday cLemmings. You didn't really get carried away; cLemmings is a series of remade lemmings games. But(like namida said) it's good to have this many big levelpacks coming out.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 02:34:49 PM »
First half of Mayhem:

Mayhem 2 - THIS WAS AN EXCELLENT LEVEL! :D It took me quite a while to work out what to do here - highly impressed!
Mayhem 3 - Getting past the trap at the end, given the limited builders, was a bit annoying. That aside, this is a pretty neat level - and a very cool design!
Mayhem 5 - Not sure if this is a backroute, or just a cleverly-disguised solution...
Mayhem 6 - This one felt a little bit on the easy side...
Mayhem 7 - Not sure if you intended the first exit to be fake or not. If you did, in traditional Lemmix you should set its index to 16 or higher; while in NeoLemmix, there's a specific setting in the object properties for fake ("Fk" in NeoLemEdit, "Fake" in NeoLemmix Editor). Anyway, only a slight variation on my solution is needed to reach the other exit. And good job on hinting in the level title that there's otherwise-almost-invisible traps here. :) Another pack that was released recently, hidden traps very quickly became a major frustration (don't get me wrong - aside from that, the pack I'm referring to here was very good) - but in your pack, this is the only level (at least so far) to have them and the level title clearly hints at their presence. :)
Mayhem 8 - This was a good level, but definitely too easy for Mayhem.
Mayhem 9 - This one is another one with a weirdly-set screen start position. But, it would seem "Plan B" is perfectly viable. :P (It's worth noting that, while an oddity with steel mechanics is used, if that oddity wasn't there, my solution has a spare builder that could be used in place of relying on that). This was a VERY good level anyway.
Mayhem 10 - This one was definitely pretty unique. At first the 35 builders and the apparent need to build up to the top makes it look quite tedious, but the actual solution turned out to be quite fun.
Mayhem 12 - You haven't included a Mayhem 12! So it just gives the original game's Mayhem 12 instead... :P
Mayhem 13 - This was a really good level!
Mayhem 14 - This one was great! Had me stuck for quite a while.
Mayhem 15 - I looked initially for a solution similar to what I did on the earlier version of this level, but the solution I found in the end was actually rather simple... :/

Definitely some great levels here! :D

Also, just wondering - why are you using the high-res graphics for the screenshots, when Lemmix itself uses the low-res ones? It's a tad misleading, that's all... :/
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
Second half of Mayhem:

Mayhem 16 - A bit on the easy side. :/ Not at all a bad level though.
Mayhem 17 - This one was pretty clever! Took me a while!
Mayhem 18 - I'm not sure what I think of this one. I like the final solution, but this level gets very annoying while working it out, especially with how high the trap can reach. :/
Mayhem 19 - I like this one! :D
Mayhem 20 - Another pretty good one. :)
Mayhem 21 - This one's a bit fidgety... :/
Mayhem 22 - This one takes a lot of precision, but that can't really be helped with this puzzle under traditional Lemmix (using NeoLemmix would give one extra pixel of room for error on the precise moves, though that's still not much). And with that being said, it's well worth it - because I think this is the best level in this pack! :D
Mayhem 23 - This is a great, really creative level! :)
Mayhem 25 - This one was fairly interesting.
Mayhem 26 - Not bad, though I think this would be more suited to mid-Mayhem than late.
Mayhem 27 - Another fairly interesting one.
Mayhem 28 - Sorry to say, but I did not like this level at all. Really annoying level. :/
Mayhem 29 - This idea has really been done to death by now... :P
Mayhem 30 - A fun level, but very easy for its position.

Okay so having completed the whole pack (apart from the missing Mayhem 12), I must say that this is an excellent pack - yes, there were a few levels I wasn't too fond of, but I don't think it'd even be possible to make a pack where everyone likes every level. :P Well done!
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 10:37:41 PM »
hey, I remember you from the youtubes. I liked your levels and these look nice and designed well. I will try them out if I get the chance
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 12:59:52 AM »
Thanks again namida for all the feedback.  You've given me a lot to work with. :) 
If you have time, could you message me the backroutes you found in Taxing 24 and Mayhem 5?

This is the first set of custom levels I've posted online.  Naturally there a few meh ones... When I first started making levels, I just made maps that looked nice (like Tricky 5) but ultimately I would prefer to have tighter levels with creative solutions.

I'll probably take a short break before doing v0.02, and then re-work or replace the more tedious levels (you've confirmed my suspicious about Tricky 15 and Mayhem 28, for example.)

I can see why timed bombing levels are frowned upon.  I don't mind them as long as they are the "theme" of a short level.  Although these must get old after a while.

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 01:20:42 AM »
I've played through Tricky and the first half of Mayhem to get an idea what this level pack is about - and I have to say, this is a great level pack from what I've seen so far! I feel this is what the original lemmings should have been like, instead of mostly long and straight-forward levels. I also like that you put a lot of effort into making the levels look pretty.

I agree with namida on most accounts here, so I'm leaving just a few notes:

Tricky 3: Found a bad backroute here.
Tricky 16: bomber timing is pretty relentless here.
Tricky 20: I find levels actively featuring those bones kinda annoying as you have to look closely where the lemmings can go and where they can't. Similar issue with the cones from the hell set, but there because you can only assign skills every second frame.
Tricky 21: This is definitely among my favourites from Tricky (together with Tricky 27), but I feel it's a bit hard for its position.
Tricky 29: I first thought I had to do something smart here (making bomber holes at the left/right between the crystals to cluster the crowd and release them perfectly timed so they get to the exit right as the bridge is finished), but then I was pretty disappointed when the straight-foward approach worked. Felt kinda pointless.

Mayhem 2: Even though it didn't give me too much trouble, I love this one too!
Mayhem 4: Found this one annoying again, you need some precise bomber timing, or at least resorting to it makes the level easier.
Mayhem 5: I'm pretty sure my solution is a backroute, either way I think this one is a bit hard for its position.
Mayhem 11: It's a tough puzzle, but the execution is super annoying here mostly due to the cones.

Attached are my solutions.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 01:35:20 AM »
Thanks again namida for all the feedback.  You've given me a lot to work with. :) 
If you have time, could you message me the backroutes you found in Taxing 24 and Mayhem 5?

I've attached my replays for all levels to the posts in which I've covered them. If you aren't already aware, to view these, go to the level in question in Lemmix and press "L" to open a window where you can choose the replay to load. (To save one, press "U".)

I'll probably take a short break before doing v0.02, and then re-work or replace the more tedious levels (you've confirmed my suspicious about Tricky 15 and Mayhem 28, for example.)

Tricky 15 wasn't nessecerially a bad level (it's the kind of level that does get very annoying if there's a lot like it, but isn't too bad if there's just one or two here and there). It's just not one I was overly fond of.

I can see why timed bombing levels are frowned upon.  I don't mind them as long as they are the "theme" of a short level.  Although these must get old after a while.

Indeed - my reccomendation would be to use them only if providing blockers would enable backroutes. Alternatively, if you like, I can make you a customized player that removes the countdown (so bombers explode immediately) - NeoLemmix players always do this anyway, but I can also build a standard Lemmix player with this feature.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
Thanks for creating these excellent levels :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:!

Fun 30: A great level for finishing Fun.
Tricky 4: Another great level, but too hard for its position.
Tricky 6: A level that feels like it could become a great puzzle. Unfortunately it has an easy solution saving 100%.
Tricky 12: I agree with namida about the bomber placement.
Tricky 19: Nice little level - assuming you reduce the skill set... At the moment it feels very much like a Fun level.
Tricky 21: An excellent level. Far too hard for Tricky though, because one has so many possible approaches to this level. See my comment to Taxing 20 as well.
Tricky 26: I don't need the pixel-precision of namida, but my solution is nevertheless nothing you should have in Tricky. And please make it clear to the player that the direct drom from the middle platform is survivable (it's only 61 pixels). When I first reached this level, I spent quite some time planning how to get the lemmings down, when this is trivial and automatic.
Tricky 27: This is another trick that is very well-known. Contrary to namida and geoo, this is not one my favourite Tricky levels (though it's definitely not bad).
Tricky 30: A very long level and I need every of the 20 builders (and during my first attempt I was even 1 builder short and had to do almost everything again). Together with Mayhem 28 my least favourite.
Taxing 2: A very good level. But you should raise the save requirements to remove the backroute I attached (assuming it is indeed a backroute).
Taxing 7: very generous on the save requirements.
Taxing 9: A good level - for early Tricky. It is easily solvable with only 2 climbers, 2 floaters, 1 blocker and 1 miner.
Taxing 12: One of the very few builder-heavy levels I ever encountered that I really liked.
Taxing 13: Good level, even if it's not really hard to save 90%.
Taxing 14: I can't agree with namida's remark - I had over 1 minute left.
Taxing 15: Way too easy with a great deal more skills than needed.
Taxing 17: I guess I found the same backroute as namida.
Taxing 19: Another very good level that is easier than placed. I used only 4 skills.
Taxing 20: This level is easier than Tricky 21 and I don't think the beginning is that great...
Taxing 22: Though not completely original, it's always nice to see such a level again.
Taxing 23: Absolutely unique and excellent level!
Taxing 24: Contrary to namida, timing is an issue with my solution. Nevertheless my basher usage is a strong indicator that I found a backroute.
Taxing 25: A very very good level.
Taxing 26: Sorry, but this level is straight-forward and not interesting at all.
Taxing 27: Feels like a slight variation of the intended solution.
Taxing 29: A very good idea and my solution doesn't rely on the glitchy behaviour namida mentiones.
Mayhem 1: Again a direct drop works, though it is not necessary. Whenever I want to remove this possibility of a direct drop, I try to place a small terrain piece behind the exit directly over its trigger area. Then the falling lemmings usually splat (as they should) instead of jumping into the exit.
Mayhem 2: One of the three best levels in your pack! Even if it didn't take me long to work out the solution.
Mayhem 4: Fortunately one can save 90% and thus reduce the amount of bomber timing.
Mayhem 5: So much unused terrain about... I really wonder whether my solution is intended?
Mayhem 8: Way too easy for Mayhem and more or less staight-forward.
Mayhem 9: Even if your level isn't the first that features this strategy, it was very enjoyable.
Mayhem 10: Not a fan of this one.
Mayhem 14: An absolutely excellent level :thumbsup:! But please remove the backroute I attached as a second solution.
Mayhem 15: And again a very good idea, even though the first half was pretty uninteresting.
Mayhem 17: I already solved the first version of this level in this way.
Mayhem 19: Digger placement was slightly annoying, but otherwise a good level.
Mayhem 20: I likely backrouted this one.
Mayhem 21: ...and another likely backroute.
Mayhem 22: Together with Mayhem 2 and 14 the best level! I never needed pixel-precise skill assignment anywhere.
Mayhem 23: Another backroute.
Mayhem 25: Apart from a very precise bomber placement, this level was much fun, though easier than its placement.
Mayhem 26: A few good ideas, but too heavy on builders.
Mayhem 27: An excellent mulit-tasking level! As with Tricky 26, please make sure that the player doesn't mistake the drop on the very right for a splatting fall.
Mayhem 30: I guess this is more or less the same relatively easy solution namida already found.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 05:01:41 AM »
If you aren't going to do a new version just yet, any chance you can upload the missing Mayhem 12?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
Hey redroom.
I'm not sure to play the pack since it's for Lemmix, but I wanted to say that I like your designs (judging by the screenshots). :thumbsup:

This was just my useless post, have a nice day :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
Hey redroom.
I'm not sure to play the pack since it's for Lemmix, but I wanted to say that I like your designs (judging by the screenshots). :thumbsup:

This was just my useless post, have a nice day :)

I'd highly reccomend giving it a go. It uses the Lemmix player (which is very simple); it doesn't need the complicated-to-set-up editor to play it, so it's not a hassle to get going - it's literally just a matter of unzip it and run the EXE. (Well, if you're on Linux you'll need WINE, and last time I tried that (admittedly quite a while ago, so it was an older version of WINE and possibly even an older version of Lemmix) there were minor sound glitches but nothing that made it unplayable.) And there are some GREAT levels in there. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
I'm simply more comfortable with Lemmini mechanics and its replay system, but yes I guess it would be stupid to miss a great set of levels because of that :D
I'm playing Revenge of the Lemmings right now (which is neaaaaaaat) so I won't start to play another big pack for the moment. But you convinced me so, after this one maybe... :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
Lemmix has a very good replay system too, actually - as well as save and load state!

At any time during a level, you can press "R" to restart from the beginning in replay mode. (You CAN'T do this from the postview screen, though.)
At any time during a level, as well as on the postview screen, you can press "U" to save a replay file.
At any time during a level, you can press "L" to load a replay file.
You can press enter at any time to save state, and backspace to load your last saved state.
While paused, you can also push B to go back one frame. I believe if you hold it, it acts as a kind of "rewind", though it can be somewhat slow.
My Lemmings projects

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 11:10:23 PM »
I played through the rest of Mayhem a while ago and I was hoping I could give Taxing a try too, but I haven't got around to doing that and won't within the next two weeks at least, so here are my replays for the second half of Mayhem.

Mayhem 16: Found this kinda interesting, even though my solution ended up having a somewhat brute-force like feel to it.
Mayhem 18: Nice fine-tuning puzzle.
Mayhem 19: Probably backroute, solution didn't feel satisfying.
Mayhem 22: Elegant one, and like Nepster I didn't need precision here.
Mayhem 23: Probably bad backroute?
Mayhem 24: I'm not such a big fan of bomber-timing, but this one turned into a nifty puzzle. I saved a few skills so I wonder whether my solution is overly complicated?
Mayhem 27: Nice arrangement puzzle, but I thought the fall at the right was deadly until reading Nepster's post. So I solved it saving some skills that I used on preventing climbers from going up there so they don't splat.
Mayhem 28: I'm so glad there's fast forward here. I mean the level isn't bad per se and there's some room for errors due to the save requirement, but the level takes soooo long... Reminds me a bit of "Going Up" from the original

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 02:57:41 PM »
If you aren't going to do a new version just yet, any chance you can upload the missing Mayhem 12?
It's here.  http://redroom.x10.mx/lemmings/0412.lvl

I'll probably have version 2 up sometime in september.  There are a lot of backroutes to be patched up :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »
Here's my solution. That was another really good level! :D
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
Re: GeoffLems - v0.02 (updated)
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 12:45:17 AM »
v0.02 is up.  See the OP for details.  A bit more polished this time  :)
http://redroom.x10.mx/lemmings/GeoffLems_v0.2.zip

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 02:45:30 PM »
My feedback on the new version:

Fun 26 - This level becomes a bit on the long side when done under Fun-style conditions.

Tricky 3 - I think this is much better positioning for this level.
Tricky 6 - This level is pretty cool. :)
Tricky 10 - Not bad, though is this the solution you intended?
Tricky 13 - This is a pretty cool level now, though might be placed a bit early? Also - on your list in the first post, you have Tricky 15 listed before this one.
Tricky 15 - I'm not noticing any difference here?
Tricky 18 - Good level for the position.
Tricky 22 - If I remember correctly, this is more or less how I did this level before.
Tricky 23 - You've listed both this one and the previous one as being originally Tricky 19. Anyway, I'm not sure if my solution might still be a backroute, as I didn't use the climber, floater or miner...
Tricky 27 - This is a really good level! Though it can be beaten fairly easily with only two builders. :P
Tricky 28 - This level seems to be impossible now. o_O Assuming there isn't a mistake that's actually made it impossible, this level is definitely far too hard for Tricky!

Taxing 1 - I think this might still be a backroute, since it saves 95% and doesn't use most of the skills...?
Taxing 2 - I don't think my solution was a backroute, but if it was, it still works.
Taxing 3 - Much better! :)
Taxing 6 - It's possible I've backrouted this again, but if not, DAMN those bashers need to be precise...
Taxing 13 - Some of the bombers end up still needing to be timed, due to blockers interfering with other lemmings. Still a good level though.
Taxing 25 - Neat level now! :D
Taxing 26 - Also pretty cool. :)
Taxing 27 - Fairly sure I backrouted it.
Taxing 28 - Still pretty easy really, though yes, the way blocker trigger areas work under traditional Lemmix could get very annoying here.

I haven't looked at the new Mayhem levels yet, I will a bit later on. Here's my replays for all the new/revised levels (including the ones I didn't comment on), except Tricky 15 which doesn't seem to be any different, and Tricky 28 which I wasn't able to solve.

By the way, I'm not sure if you're aware, but in the CustLemmix topic, there's a download called "Flexi Toolkit" which can be used to build a customized Lemmix player with everything embedded in the EXE (rather than having a whole bunch of LVL files) - the version in that topic is traditional Lemmix, not NeoLemmix (a NeoLemmix version of the toolkit does also exist). Might be useful for your pack. Let me know if you need any help with how to use it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
Mayhem 1 - This might be another backroute, because it doesn't make use of the length of the beam, and saves 100%...
Mayhem 3 - I don't remember how many builders it had before, but I think it was 10? I actually managed to solve this version with 9.
Mayhem 4 - This is a REALLY good level! Took me a while to find the solution.
Mayhem 5 - Backroute? This is basically just a more-finicky version of my previous solution...
Mayhem 7 - Tricky 15 was already one of the less-popular levels, did it really need a repeat? That aside, this level is also far too easy for Mayhem.
Mayhem 8 - My previous solution still works with one minor change.
Mayhem 10 - Took me a while to think of how to do this one. Pretty clever!
Mayhem 12 - If my solution is the intended one, this is one of the most creative levels I've ever seen!
Mayhem 13 - First thing to point out - there's one pixel on the right side of the fire pit where the lemmings can land safely. This will probably give rise to some backroutes. I added an extra replay showing what I mean. Apart from that, I think my solution (which doesn't take advantage of that) might also be another backroute?
Mayhem 14 - Might be a backroute? Since my route saves 96%... getting 96% this way is a bit finnicky, but getting 92% this way - still well over the requirement - is very easy.
Mayhem 15 - I don't really like this one. The time limit is annoyingly tight - we're talking having on the order of a couple of seconds to spare if the solution is perfect. Aside from that, this level is dead simple. (And let's face it, the level's name isn't doing it any favors either. :P )

Gonna take a break now, I'll do the rest soon.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 11:40:46 PM »
Here my impressions of the new/revised levels:

Tricky 10: Two solutions.
Tricky 27: It can be beaten with only one builder as well :P. But I agree on the "good level" part of namida's remark.
Tricky 28: Solvable and not as hard as namida's remark would suggest. Tricky 29 is far harder...
Taxing 1: Likely the same backroute as namida's.
Taxing 2: Huh... even the solution I thought was intended doesn't work any more, because I can't turn around the lemmings which are going to the gap on the left. But with a little glitching the level becomes quite simple.
Taxing 4: The now deadly fall makes the level much more interesting, but the variety of skills still creates many solutions. Attached only one no-builder solution, but if you want, I can record several more.
Taxing 6: I agree with namida's remark.
Taxing 18: My solution still works.
Taxing 22: This one turned now into an excellent level!
Taxing 25: Not sure whether this is intended?
Taxing 26: Much more interesting than in V1.
Taxing 27: Good chance that this is a backroute as well.
Taxing 28: Not much difference to before.
Mayhem 4: The level got somewhat harder, though I am still not sure about having found the intended solution.
Mayhem 7: Solution with only 7 builders (because when planning my solution, I was somehow under the impression that I had only so many builders :XD:)
Mayhem 8: My solution is exactly the same as before. I don't even know what has changed?
Mayhem 10: Good level.
Mayhem 11: Absolutely excellent level :thumbsup:!
Mayhem 12: 99% saved.
Mayhem 13: Good level, though I already knew this trick from the Lix community level pack.
Mayhem 14: I too can save 96% without much trouble.
Mayhem 15: The time limit is very tight and the level is solvable with 5 skills of each (though my solution uses 6 builders for convenience).
Mayhem 16: My backroute still works. And you forgot this level when setting your one-way arrows to "only on terrain".
Mayhem 17: 100% possible.
Mayhem 18: Another absolutely excellent level :thumbsup:!
Mayhem 19: I still have one basher left over. But it already was and still remains a very good level!
Mayhem 24: This is the least endearing change you made from V1 to V2. The method is the same as in the first appearence of this level, but only much much more fiddly.
Mayhem 26: The third absolutely excellent level you added :thumbsup:!
Mayhem 27: My solution is not much different from my previous one...
Mayhem 29: Pretty sure, this is not quite intended.
Mayhem 30: Far better than V1, though I still have a few spare skills.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 01:46:17 AM »
Mayhem 16 - Might be another backroute? Also, that second digger needs to be pretty precise, if this is the intended route.
Mayhem 17 - Backroute? If not, it did take me a while to find, so nice. :P
Mayhem 18 - This one was pretty hard! Nice level!
Mayhem 19 - Very nice! :)
Mayhem 20 - Took me a while to work out what to do here. Very good!
Mayhem 21 - I still don't find this level very interesting, sorry.
Mayhem 24 - AH! I see! I didn't watch Nepster's replay yet, but I think he might've missed something here (that I myself also missed the first time around). Very clever!
Mayhem 26 - It's a good level, but the time limit should probably be increased a bit. It's very tight, and doesn't seem to add anything to the level.
Mayhem 27 - Same basic idea as before, it's just harder to pull off now.
Mayhem 28 - I can't solve this one. >_> I would be able to solve it if it weren't for the one-way-right miner glitch, or if it didn't quite need 100%, or if there were a few more floaters, but as it stands, I can't. I'll have to come back to it.
Mayhem 29 - Not a bad level, though one thing to be aware of - if you dig 7 pixels on the bottom-left then bash, he goes straight through the steel (if you do 8 pixels, he stops like he should, and you can still climb out of it, but it is a bit annoying).
Mayhem 30 - This one also has me stumped. :/

I'll come back to Mayhem 28 and 30 (and Tricky 28) later on, but here's my replays for the rest.

EDIT: Solved Tricky 28. I still say it's too hard for Tricky, though maybe not as hard as I thought at first - I'd definitely say at least mid-Taxing though.

EDIT: Solved Mayhem 28. That was... BRILLIANT!!!
EDIT: Solved Mayhem 30, though I'm fairly sure this is a backroute...
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 03:19:18 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replays!  Watched some of them tonight.

Tricky 28 - This level was hard to place... It's not very difficult once you know the solution, but it is a bit subtle for tricky.
Taxing 2 - Namida's solution is the intended one.
Taxing 6 - This is a backroute, I will need to fix it somehow.  The intended solution is probably too subtle for early Taxing.
Taxing 27 - Backroute.   :P  Not hard to fix.
Mayhem 1 - The backroute here is probably cleverer than the intended solution!    :thumbsup:   I could block it, but it might be cool to leave a few backroutes like this in.
Mayhem 4 - Both valid solutions.  :)
Mayhem 5 - See Mayhem 1
Mayhem 7 - Eh, I might keep it due to personal taste.  It's kind of a breather level at this stage.
Mayhem 13 - Nepster's solution is the intended one
Mayhem 14 - I don't have any problem with these solutions.  The level is a bit easy for Mayhem 14 though.
Mayhem 15 - The solution is as intended.  I agree, the time is REALLY tight.  It's kind of in the spirit of the original Just a Minute levels (which we all love right????:sick:)
Mayhem 27 - Still backrouted.  Not sure I can salvage this one.
Mayhem 28 - I didn't account for the miner turnaroud trick.  It shouldn't be needed here, I will confirm...
Mayhem 29 - Pretty close to the intended solution.  I'll probably make an adjustment to the ground on the lower part.
Mayhem 30 - Nepster's solution is close, but again, I didn't account for the miner turnaround trick.

If you want me to post my own replays for any level (eg. Mayhem 28), let me know. 

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2014, 05:39:25 PM »
Taxing 2: Finally solved it without glitching. A brilliant level, though I would rate it at least end of Taxing.
Mayhem 24: After reading namida's comment, I realized what I did wrong and the new solution is much better (and even saves 97%). But I am still no fan of this level.
Mayhem 28: No miner turnaround trick needed here, cf. my solution to V1 (together with using the two skills I had left over to make the fall on the right survivable).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 05:53:00 PM »
I didn't need the miner turnaround either; I mentioned that the miner glitch on one-way-right walls prevented a solution from working. But eventually I found another one that isn't prevented by that.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
So, I've just played through the Fun rating  8)  Have to agree with the general consensus -- very nice designs, genuinely fun to play through, with more varied and interesting challenges than the Fun rating of original Lemmings. The only levels I wasn't so keen on were 10 "Over Fire Island" (neat puzzle, but this is the hardest level in the rating, so why is it so early?) and 29 "They Can't All Be Zingers", the tutorial level for building over traps. I understand the need for new players to have tutorial levels for what each skill does, but when it comes to concepts, I prefer them to be introduced in puzzle levels so the player can have the satisfaction of working them out for themselves, as with "Compression Method 1" in original Lemmings.

Looking forward to attempting your harder ratings  :thumbsup:

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »
Finished Tricky!  :thumbsup:

Overall, a really nice set, with a steady increase in difficulty and very few levels that felt too frustrating or tedious. I particularly liked Levels 10 "Break on Through" (the first one to stump me for a while); 20 "Sure Looks Like a Custom Level" (a fun little labyrinth); 28 "Proposed Keystone Pipeline" (excellent brainteaser, and no, it's not as hard as namida suggested) and 29 "The Buddy System" (very nice 1-of-each puzzle).

Less keen on 25 "Trick Wire" and 30 "Hangar A", for which my solutions were very fiddly, requiring lots of pausing and spam-assigning. Though I saved one more than required on Trick Wire, so perhaps I missed an easier way?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »
It seems the links for this pack's downloads are broken. Does anyone still have this pack, preferably the second version of course?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2015, 08:48:36 PM »
Yep. I have it uploaded to my Dropbox. I'll update the Fangame list to reflect this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eliw68tum4cnvex/GeoffLems_v0.2.zip?dl=0
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »
AWESOME! :D It's great that this was able to be restored, it's definitely among the best packs of all time.

I've edited the original post to add your link. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2015, 03:41:45 PM »
For those of you who didn't already know, I'm doing a series of Youtube videos of a playthrough of this pack. It's not a "blind" playthrough obviously, but especially on Mayhem there's a lot of levels I don't remember the solution to.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVWvcY0oGEFydXW47eQEGKJjLJf4t_NIQ

Nearly finished now; the videos up to Mayhem 5 are all there, while I'm uploading Mayhem 6-10 and Mayhem 11-15 at the moment.

EDIT: It's finished now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:17:23 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
Re: GeoffLems - v1.0 (updated)
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 02:28:38 AM »
Hi,

I've been tuning this pack over the past couple months:

- Converted levels to NeoLemmix format
- Changed level order
- Fixed steel alignment (finally discovered it's possible to change the height/width of steel pieces :-[)
- Fixed backroutes on several Mayhem levels
- Added a few levels
- Redesigned a few levels
- Built a custom player .exe

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hi5qf9w8r452cgn/GeoffLems_v1.0.zip?dl=0

Same deal... 120 levels, with original skills and mechanics.

I also uploaded a DOS pack which contains most of the new / redesigned levels: http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichYLEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYgICAgP_CiAoM/

Cheers,

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:36 AM »
You know i can make you a new logo for the menu if you're using neolemmix if you want

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2015, 04:02:14 AM »
Oh, nice! :) This is one of my favorite packs, so I'll have to check it out again now that it's been updated.

- Converted levels to NeoLemmix format
- Fixed steel alignment (finally discovered it's possible to change the height/width of steel pieces :-[)

You don't need to worry too much about steel alignment in NeoLemmix; the "Autosteel" feature will cover 95% of cases, and the "Simple Autosteel" option used when needed should bring that up to 99%. Only some levels with complicated arrangements of steel and non-steel terrain overlapping each other with also having decorative non-steel terrain overlapping the steel (in cases where this decorative terrain should be treated as steel) might need manual steel areas to be used; one such example is Taxing 7 of Original Lemmings (indeed, the Dirt set seems to be the one that most often has these kind of issues). There's even an "ignore level steel" option, so that you can disable the steel areas (to test with autosteel) without actually having to delete them. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:27:24 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2015, 02:16:08 AM »
I did the steel fixes before converting to NeoLemmix.  Basically I took the Lemmix .lvl files, opened and saved with NeoLemmix so I could use FlexiTool ;).  False advertising, I know.

I might release a version of the pack with NeoLemmix rules (no timed bombings, auto-steel) since I did enjoy playing through other packs with these features.  Particulary CopycatLemmings... that pack would have been a nightmare with timed bombings.

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 03:40:15 AM »
Minor update. 

A couple levels which had issues in NeoLemmix... eg. Mayhem 29.  I ninja-fixed them and updated the .zip.  Same link as before.
The 2015-07-24 build should be final.

I put together a youtube playlist showing the intended solutions (Tricky and up):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1dOT707jhsiG6pmlWMHEXRmtMwqzcRCt

That is all.  :)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: GeoffLems - v1.0
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 07:28:32 AM »
Ah. In that regard, something to be aware of - DOS Lemmings (and by extension, Lemmix) require all steel area coordinates and sizes to be multiples of 4. Additionally, to minimize steel-digging glitches, steel areas generally should extend slightly beyond the edge of the steel pieces. In NeoLemmix on the other hand, steel area coordinates/sizes can be pixel-perfect, and this is generally expected, because of the difference in how steel is handled. Specifically, in DOS, a lemming can destroy a steel pixel, but will generally stop performing the destructive skill upon encountering it (and in the case of a bomber, it's all-or-nothing - if they're standing on steel, no damage is done, if they're not, everything within their radius, even steel, is destroyed). On the other hand, in NeoLemmix, steel pixels are actually indestructible.

Anyway, I'll have a go at this sometime and let you know my feedback. It might take a while, since I don't have as much spare time as I sometimes do at the moment (it sorta comes and goes as to when I do or don't), so the time I do have for Lemmings is generally being spent on completing my playthrough of Lemmings Reunion (great pack, I'd highly recommend playing it if you haven't already) and working on the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack.
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »
hey, Geoffster; I've played some of your pack and I felt like some of these levels were backrouted. I attached replays for these if you're interested. I'm pretty certain I have the latest version [1.0]

Anyways, a great levelpack overall :thumbsup:

everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »
Since Geoffster hasn't been around for a while, I converted this pack to NXP so that people can play it on the up-to-date version of NeoLemmix.

http://www.neolemmix.com/old/levelpacks/GeoffLems.nxp

Geoffster: If you're making further updates to this pack, you don't need to do anything special (apart from getting the latest version of the Flexi Toolkit) to create NXP files rather than EXEs.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
Started playing the NXP version of this pack on Friday and am part-way through mayhem rating as of writing.
Fantastic pack so far, really enjoying the taxing & mayhem ratings. Mayhem 15 had me stumped for quite a while before I realized I needed to / how to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
Since Geoffster isn't really active on the forums anymore, I'm working on bringing this pack up to modern standards and making a version that's compatible with the newer NL releases, as it really is a great pack and it's a shame that people can't play it without resorting to an older version of NL.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Geoffster

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2017, 02:33:32 AM »
I went ahead and made an NXP of GeoffLems with NeoLemmix 10.13 (attached to first post in thread)
It's called v1.1 because I couldn't resist a few level tweaks, but nothing major.  I didn't want to spend too much further time on it.

the new NeoLemmix player features are really great.  nice work :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:49:41 AM by Geoffster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: GeoffLems - v1.1
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »
Okay, nevermind then. Didn't think you were still around. I'll leave it to you. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] GeoffLems
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »
I have completed this pack for NL Old Formats, so I have attached my solutions. This is the very first time I have ever played the pack, and I got to say I was quite impressed with a lot of the levels. I didn't really feel any real challenge until I reached the Taxing rank, but I really felt the difficulty once I got into Mayhem. The first real stumper for me was Taxing 28 - Swiss Cheese, surprisingly. Took me quite a while before I saw the solution. The next hard one after was Mayhem 8 - Four Houses, although it's a difficult one to execute, not necessarily a hard level. Mayhem 24 - Pyramid Scheme, Mayhem 25 - Main Floor, Please, and Mayhem 26 - Parking Garage were all difficult levels, I thought. I also remember playing Mayhem 24 and Mayhem 25 from somewhere. I don't remember where, though. Might had been RotL, although I think they might had been in some Dos level packs as well. They were difficult only because I couldn't remember the solutions to them. It's been a very long time since I played them. There were other levels in this pack I remember playing from somewhere before as well. I also remember Mayhem 8 from somewhere. For Mayhem 26, I got to say that it's one very awesome no builders level. I think I can see why it won as a contest level. The solution is quite ingenious, although it took me a while to spot it.

The only level that seems to be completely broken is the very last level. There is a fire pit just before the exit but the lemmings don't burn in it. I checked video solutions for that level, but no one goes through it and instead digs before it and then bashes. Needless to say, them not burning in it took me by complete surprise.

Also, I ran a mass replay check for the New Formats version, and 6 of my replays failed: Mayhem 5, Mayhem 14, Mayhem 23, Taxing 8, Taxing 9, and Tricky 7. Mayhem 5 fails due to how I made use of the solid ceiling in Old Formats, since it's deadly in New Formats, Mayhem 14 fails because the trigger area of the mashers is much bigger, Mayhem 23 fails either because my builder assignment was too late or the trigger area of the trap is bigger, so that's a very easy fix, Taxing 8 fails due to the expanded OWW, Taxing 9 fails because a builder assignment at the end is too early, so that's an easy fix as well, and Tricky 7 fails due to missing the exit trigger area after the basher finishes, so again easy fix. One was also undetermined, and that was Mayhem 3. The replay is just completely broken, I think because of how the level originally had an upside down entrance.

Overall, very nice pack, although I noticed a lot of the timers in the Mayhem rank are very huge.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2020, 02:08:41 PM »
Seems that Mayhem 8 is indeed a stumper. I looked back at my NL 12.7 installation to check my GeoffLems progress, and I've solved 1-5 and 7 and got stuck there :P

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2020, 07:05:20 PM »
Seems that Mayhem 8 is indeed a stumper. I looked back at my NL 12.7 installation to check my GeoffLems progress, and I've solved 1-5 and 7 and got stuck there :P

It's easier than you think it is. It's not a really hard level, just difficult to execute. Plenty of timing needed. I think the level is quite difficult the first time one plays it, and indeed it felt that way when I played it on Dos years ago. I don't remember which pack it came from, though. When I played it on NL, it didn't feel as hard despite how it's been a really long time since I last played it. 

You can beat it, Proxima. I know you can :P
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
Downloaded the very Old Formats v1.0 of Geofflems and just finished playing it through. Here is my complete set of replays for v1.0 of the pack. This set of replays can only be played in NL v1.43. Again, these replays likely won't be of interest to anyone, but I'm attaching my replays just for completeness. All the levels are the same as v1.1 of the pack, although there is some level ordering differences in both the Fun and Tricky ranks. So yes, I know it was pretty much pointless for me to play the same pack with the exact same levels all over again despite the two pack versions compatible with only a specific NL player, but I did it anyway. I played all these levels from scratch, and so all my solutions are new from my v1.1 solutions (see reply #50 for my v1.1 replays, those are for v10.13.8).

There were some Mayhem levels that I couldn't remember how I solved in v1.1 for v10.13 of NL, notably Mayhem 6 - Knots and Mayhem 18 - Now this is a Predicament. My solutions to these two levels ended up being very different from my v1.1 solutions. It's surprising that I struggled with these two levels this time around, although I was pretty much dead tired so I think that affected my thinking greatly. Mayhem 26 - Main Floor, Please is also different in that there's no extra piece of terrain that prevents climbers from climbing back out to the left in the steel pit at the top, which is present in v1.1, and so the solution is very different in the latter. IMO, that extra piece of terrain causes the level to be much harder in v1.1 than in v1.0. Finally, there are two levels here that aren't in v1.1: Tricky 17 - Nothing is Easy and Mayhem 21 - Roger's Pass, which is a repeat of Tricky 20 - Watch for Falling Rocks. The Mayhem level is definitely harder than the original, although it was still a quick solve for me, taking me about 5 minutes. My initial solution had me saving 1 over the requirement, but a few minutes later while pondering the next level, I realized that I could save everyone in Mayhem 21, and so I went back and quickly refined my solution for the level with one by replacing all the other climber skill assignments with just a single miner.

edit: I forgot to mention that I changed my solution completely for Mayhem 30, as I don't like the one I used for v1.1 for NL v10.13.8. In the latter, my solution has the lemmings go through the fire pit trap before the exit without burning. However, I just watched Swerdis's solution to Mayhem 30, and he also goes through it. All other solutions I've seen have lemmings dig before the fire trap and then bash to the exit. So, this leads me to believe that the lemmings not burning up is indeed intentional due to the placement of the fire box trap, or, as I believe to be the case here, that it's simply a misleading design in the fire box trap to make it look like it's supposed to burn and kill the lemmings but it doesn't. Anyone know? 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:36:41 PM by kaywhyn »