Author Topic: cLemmings  (Read 38661 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: cLemmings - a new Lemmings game
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 01:51:28 AM »
A word of general advice - don't take the criticism so harshly. It's just my opinions offering advice on what I did/didn't like in this pack; I'm not trying to insult your pack, I'm trying to explain what I didn't like and why (and on the flipside, what I did like and why). Maybe have a look at the level review games people were doing a while back - you'll notice that some levels from the official game are almost universally liked ("It's Hero Time" and "No Added Colors Or Lemmings" being the two most noticable), some almost universally hated (if I remember correctly, bomber timing came up a lot here) - and most crucially, some levels had wildly different opinions, for example some people mentioned "Save Me" as one of their favorites while others mentioned it as one of their most hated. Likewise, with my pack Lemmings Plus II, there's one level in particular where opinions are very polar, and that's Cunning 4 "Droppin' Bombs", which is bascially a level with an overhead bar which you blow holes in with bombers, then bomb other lemmings as they fall to create a path through obstacles. (Just for the record, LPII has the same instant bombers as in the NeoLemmix engine, even though LPII itself just uses a slightly-modified traditional Lemmix player - it's LPIII that's being built for Neo.) Some players have said it's a very interesting concept making great use of the instant bombers, while other players find it annoying and fidgety - and my own opinion of the level lies in the middle; I find it to be fairly decent but it doesn't stand out as overly special.

Anyway, I'll have your player ready within the next couple of hours or so - just got some IRL stuff to do first.

EDIT: I should mention, apart from the levels that are completely *new* in the update, I haven't replayed any of the older ones (since I solved up to the end of Taxing before you made the update). The Mayhem levels though, I played the latest versions.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 03:42:41 AM »
Alright, here you go.
It includes slightly modified text on the title screen / scroller, your custom logo, and your custom icon for the EXE.
Also as per your request, there is no LookForLVLFiles option in the INI; but instead this option is *always* turned on.
It contains the V1.1 levels internally, so you only need to include LVL files that have changed since then when distributing it.
It contains all official graphic sets (including Xmas), but does *not* include the LPII styles or the Sega style - so basically, the same as what ccexplore's version of the Orig Lemmix player contains.

Edit: I noticed you said "and the steel is just so that people can't directly bash through the pillar." (Taxing 2). I fully understood why the steel was there, I wasn't meaning to say *that* shouldn't be - I was meaning the stuff between "the starting part" and "the pillar with the steel".
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 04:15:28 PM »
Thanks for the executable file. Now you don't need to do any more work.

I'm not taking the criticism to heart. I guess it's just that this is the first time I've actually been criticized on this. But thanks for the comments, I will definitely keep them in mind.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 05:00:01 PM »
Progress on Oh No More cLemmings!

The Havoc rating is currently finished. The demo included contains two Havoc levels, as Tame 9 and 10.
Once the game is finished, you might find the levels to be more difficult than the original cLemmings. This is because the Oh No More Lemmings tilesets are easier to work with (and make harder levels out of) than the Original Lemmings tilesets.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »
More progress on Oh No More cLemmings!

The Wicked rating is finally finished!
The attachment is the second demo, which includes the first two Havoc levels and the first two Wicked levels. The demo levels will be the first two levels of every rating, put sequentially as the first ten Tame levels; Tame 1 and 2 as Tame 1 and 2, Crazy 1 and 2 as Tame 3 and 4, etc. I have been updating the website with the release of every demo, so you will find the demos on the website's downloads page.

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 05:53:25 PM »
One quick thing to say: Sorry for the people who don't like double posting, so I've decided that four posts in a row is enough. This will be the post where I will post the last three demos of Oh No More cLemmings (and the one prerelease).

Here is the Wild demo. I've now completed the Wild rating and will most likely be done by this weekend. The Crazy rating will be a very quick make and the Tame even quicker (for the record, it took me three days to make the Wild rating, only making two levels today).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »
One quick thing to say: Sorry for the people who don't like double posting, so I've decided that four posts in a row is enough.

Double/Multiple posting is OK, but as long as they're not "Can you hear me?" posts you should be fine on this small forum.
Anyway, I'm excited about playing the demos...
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »
Level 5 and Level 9 seem to be... well, I'm sure you know what I'm going to say here. Level 10 too, but I didn't actually properly play that one yet, so I can't say for sure.

Level 6 and 7 were very good! And I haven't actually been able to beat Level 8. xD Though Level 6 might be a bit hard for its position, at least if Level 5 is any indication of the average difficulty at that point.

One more thing: Is there any reason you continue to use an older version of the Lemmix player for this? I've been manually replacing it with the new one (not NeoLemmix, just a more up-to-date version of traditional Lemmix); but if there's a specific reason why you're using the old one, then I'll make sure to play on that in future; but not if there's no actual reason for it.
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
I know what you're going to say, but just so you know, most of the levels will not be very "builder heavy" (even though I don't think using 7 or 8 builders is really builder heavy). Level 10 is not so much builder heavy as it is multitasking, though.

I tried to make the levels less tedious and more interesting. Level 6 is not too hard for its position as Wild 2 in my opinion, because it is the level that is meant to set the standard for Wild, somewhat tricky to figure out and tricky to execute.

I don't have the "newer" version (because I don't know where to obtain it) of LemmixPlayer. And you don't need to move the level files to a different game, you know. Please clarify. ???

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 12:20:27 AM »
You can get the up-to-date versions of all Lemmix players (except CustLemm; check the CustLemmix topic for that one) in one download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/rurzngd7294fc87/Lemmix.zip

Note that it doesn't include H93, but rather has H94 instead (since H94 contains all the H93 levels anyway). It also has a lot of players that aren't on the website, including Xmas 91/92 (both in a single player EXE), Covox and Prima (two small "demos" with unique levels), and one labelled "Extra" which contains the levels exclusvie to the Genesis version, the Sega Master System, and a few other non-standard levels from various versions (such as some of the alternate Tricky 21s, the levels that replace the VGASPEC levels in versions that didn't have those, etc).

Don't be confused by the lower version number; this version is more recent (for example, it reproduces a couple of mechanics that aren't reproduced accurately (or at all) in version 1.3, such as the nuke glitch, and also has improved fine-control). The reason behind the odd version numbering is a long story...
My Lemmings projects

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 02:46:03 AM »
I started play your levelset set today. I like the layout of your levels.  :)
I only got a little into tricky and was stumped on the dirt level with 3 Lemmings.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 03:57:20 AM »
If you don't want to try to figure it out, you can just view namida's replay, but that would spoil the fun. Thanks for the comment though. I like that my levels can at least stump some people (I'm not meaning to offend you). This was more geared towards standard lemmings players that have some knowledge in lemmings but don't hack it and such.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »
exit: It helps to think of (or come up with on the spot) hints you can give people without outright telling them the solution. For example, for this one you could say...

Quote from: Highlight to read
Think simple; some parts of the level are actually unused even though they look like part of the solution.
My Lemmings projects

Offline exit

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 05:06:28 PM »

Note that it doesn't include H93, but rather has H94 instead . . .

For the next cLemmings I'll be making only an H93 version, and the next one will be the H94 version which will include the H93 levels (like the original game). Therefore, I will still use the "old" H93 player. So I won't be able to use the "newer" H93 and H94 version. If you could just give me the H93 lemmixplayer with the music, though, I would be happy. I won't be making a companion, covox, prima, Xmas 91/92, or Sega/Mac versions of cLemmings, though. I hope this doesn't disappoint anybody, but the reason for this is because those versions are only smaller sets of levels, or (in the case of Sega) are simply the game with some new levels.

I will then make hints accordingly to people wanting them, as you suggested.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 07:06:43 PM »
To make such an H93 player, I'd have to either undo the changes to turn H93 into H94, or I'd have to start from the H93 base and readd the music. If you're planning to do H94 eventually anyway, and include the H93 levels, I see very little reason to do this - why not just use the H94 player, and leave the H94 levels unaltered until you're ready to do them?

I'm actually considering looking into how hard it'd be to do some kind of customizable Lemmix player (not just where you can put your own level file in like CustLemm(ix), but actually fully customizable - set the number of ranks, levels per rank, etc, and build everything into the EXE, or alternatively into a single data file). Though if I were to do so, it'd (at least at first) be NeoLemmix only.
My Lemmings projects