Author Topic: Lemmings Community Compilation Levelpack  (Read 32990 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Community Compilation Levelpack
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 01:59:19 AM »
TUTORIAL LEVELS and stuff

here are the current nominations for tutorial levels:
Tell me which ones you’d like to see as the tutorials. These will be the first levels in the first rating. if you have other nominations please post them.

==============
PRACTICE: FLOATERS; DragonsLover 7-? (floating)
Born a blocker die a blocker; minimac 14-4 (blocking and climbing)
the right click helps here; minimac 14-3 (building)
All bashed up and ready to go!; minimac 5-1 (bashers and climbers)
A job for Miners; Pieuw 2007 peaceful (mining and bashing) [I don't recall seeing Pieuw use this one in his latest pack]
Lemming Cathodes; Crane 0-3 (digging)
Turnabout Disaster; Mikau mild-? (bombing)
Play Bridge; ClamSpammer 5-3 (building and bashing)
The Endless steps; Clam Spammer 5-5 (bombing)
Death Valley; weirdy beardy 1-8 (mining)
Masterplan; weirdy beardy 1-? (blocking)
Just the trick; weirdy beardy  1-6 (bombing)
=============

I'm thinking the rest of the first rating will be comprised mostly of levels which are a little harder but sort of like tutorials (for example a level to teach you how to make a builder wall or to undermine).
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 05:56:14 AM »

Is that a remake of the PS level of the same name? Those shouldn't be eligible for this IMO.

I'm not sure why it's necessary for the first levels to concentrate on one or two skills, but it's not a bad idea. Just don't call them "tutorials", as some of those would be much too hard for players who'd never seen the skills before :P

You didn't respond to my earlier post, so are you not considering my levels any more? I seem to remember, way back on the old forums, ccexplore already remade Rhapsody in Blue for Lemmix... no idea if anyone still has it.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:30 AM »
It is a remake actually. I had PSP lemmings and this level just looked interesting and different so I put it up there.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 10:55:50 PM »

Is that a remake of the PS level of the same name? Those shouldn't be eligible for this IMO.

I'm not sure why it's necessary for the first levels to concentrate on one or two skills, but it's not a bad idea. Just don't call them "tutorials", as some of those would be much too hard for players who'd never seen the skills before :P

You didn't respond to my earlier post, so are you not considering my levels any more? I seem to remember, way back on the old forums, ccexplore already remade Rhapsody in Blue for Lemmix... no idea if anyone still has it.

oh darn, thanks for letting me know. Yeah, I never got around to playing the PSP levels, far too busy.

----------
I'm afraid I've been too busy to take a look at Cheapo. I'll ask ccexplore about that level though. In your previous post, did you mean, you'll take a look, or I can take a look. Could you possibly send me a folder with some of your levels (I have cheapo now, but Idk if I'll be able to remake them in Lemmix very well, I could try anyway)
I'd be especially happy if you have some good snow, bubble or dirt levels as we're short on those.

the tally is: (approximately)
45 marble levels, 41 pillar, 34 brick, 26 fire, 18 rock, 16 dirt, 13 bubble, 10 snow

-------------

I haven't totally made up my mind yet as far as what I want the beginning of fun rating to be like. I have three options so far that I'd like some feedback on;

1. Use the available tutorial-like levels
2. Forget tutorial levels and start with regular easy levels
3. Make our own brand new tutorial levels.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
We could always use some levels that we use later on, but change the skills around to make them into tutorial levels like they did in original lemmings. You'd probably have to get permission though.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 01:45:25 AM »
I thought of that for "fun" levels. I don't know how well it would work for tutorial levels though... It would be a little tough to find a level just perfect and easy for 1 or two skills. Plus getting permission is the problem...
It's worth a mention though, thanks

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 12:25:09 AM »
Another official level in the level list is Joemon's "Mr Lemmy lives next door" (2-8), which is Classic tribe level 2 in Lemmings 2, that shouldn't be used. :P I've also become suspicious about remakes of official levels, which have only different level stats or skillsets, but use the same terrain.

I haven't totally made up my mind yet as far as what I want the beginning of fun rating to be like. I have three options so far that I'd like some feedback on;

1. Use the available tutorial-like levels
2. Forget tutorial levels and start with regular easy levels
3. Make our own brand new tutorial levels.

No for the option 3! :P That was one of the principles when making this compilation pack that we should use only already existing levels. Both the options 1 and 2 are ok, or the result could be something between those. I searched again for some nice easy levels, and yeah it definitely isn't too easy task. :P Anyway, here are some choices for levels for the first rating:

Clam Spammer: A step too far? (5-1), MORE WEE CREATURES! (5-2), Play Bridge [5-3] (And other levels from the same pack, but they might go to the second/later ratings)
Conway: Snow'din (5-2)
Crane: 3W - (4-9)
Dullstar: Attack of the Killer Toddlers (epic01 level 1), The Ice Palace (level 4)
hubbart: Bunker hill (2-3), Not as easy as it looks (4-8), Asian holiday (6-3)
Joemon: Be precise! (1-9), Boom Boom Pow (4-6)
MikauSchekzen: Balls No (Mild5), Turnabout Disaster (Mild9), I’ve Had Worse (Mild12), Overjoyed (Spicy10), One Way or Another (Spicy12), A Cold Day in Heck (Spitfire11), Karoshi Factory (Spitfire13)
minimac: The New way out (2-2), Upsidedown Islands (4-2), The Strangest Dream (4-10)
möbius: So Close Yet So Far Away
Pieuw: Oscillating Lemmings (Lemmings2007 level 2), Traffic Policemen are Coming ! (level 3), Rising to Paradise (6), A job for Miners (9), Follow the Arrow (11), Work hard and Die (29)
weirdybeardy: Masterplan (1-3), Just the Trick (1-6), Out on a Lem (2-2), Lemesis (2-3), It’ll Never Work (2-5)

Again, some other levels I'd like to nominate:

BulletRide: Almost Easy (3-2), The Silent Circus (3-3), Pyramid Puzzle (4-9)
Clam Spammer: The Dying Seconds (3-10)
Conway: Out of the frying pan . . . (13-6)
Fleech: Four Lemmings and A Funeral
Shvegait: Pipe Dream (3-9)
Siergiej: A long way up (1-10)
weirdybeardy: Think Again (2-6)
Yawg: Mass Lemmicide (6-8)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »
Okay, as far as the beginning rating goes, I think we’ll go with just forgetting tutorial levels. As it goes, we don’t really have a lot of good “strict” tutorial levels to choose from. So my plan will be to start out with normal easy levels with no particular lessons in mind. I’d sort of like to begin with a dirt level, if only for tradition.  ;P
This will make room for more of the original nominations anyway.

anyway some nominations of my own; (mostly levels for the first rating)

DragonsLover; 0-0 Only Practice, 0-5 In the Cavern… 6-3 “1 and 2” (this has a backroute) 8-7 The Puzzle!
Mikau 11; Share the Love
minimac; Under the Fire, Life in the third Dimension,
Pieuw; Deep Forest
...there's more but most of them are in the list.

as a random note, I just noticed all of our nominations for Yawg’s levels are all brick levels.

And, I’d like to nominate one level for the bonus rating (unless you already have too many);
The Joke’s on you! by I.S. [may not work in Lemmini or at least be much harder]

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »
I'm afraid I've been too busy to take a look at Cheapo. I'll ask ccexplore about that level though. In your previous post, did you mean, you'll take a look, or I can take a look. Could you possibly send me a folder with some of your levels (I have cheapo now, but Idk if I'll be able to remake them in Lemmix very well, I could try anyway)
I'd be especially happy if you have some good snow, bubble or dirt levels as we're short on those.

I just meant that if you want to include my levels they would have to be remade anyway -- Cheapo levels are not compatible with Lemmix -- so you could look at the Lix versions and remake those rather than working directly from the Cheapo versions.

But, since you say you have Cheapo now, I've attached a selection of 20 levels. Some brief notes:

Behind Bars (marble) -- Check whether the intended solution saves 6 or 7 in Lemmix. It's 7 in Lix.
Changing of the Guards (bubble) -- My best bubble level.
Drop the Dead Lemming (fire) -- Remade in Lix as "Come on down to my place".
From the Other Side (pillar) -- The Lix version is a much better puzzle, but requires Lix-only skills.
Have a bash at it! (fire) -- Known backroutes. Not remade in Lix.
Just a Minute Part 4 (marble) -- Not remade in Lix due to similarity to "Too Far to Walk".
Just a Minute Part 5 (fire) -- Not remade in Lix due to lack of one-way wall.
Lemming Dilemma (marble) -- Remade in Lix as "Buridan's Lix". You may want to use the stats of the Lix version (4 builders, 3 diggers, save 9).
Lift us up where we belong (marble) -- Clone of "Just a Minute Part 4".
Rhapsody in Blue (crystal) -- My best level. (Your style tally doesn't mention crystal; do you have any?)
Social Climbing (dirt) -- Only dirt level in this selection. Known backroutes. Not remade in Lix.
The Lemming Tower of Pizza (pillar) -- Remade in Lix as "Dr Strangelix".
The Tag Team (brick) -- Not remade in Lix due to lack of one-way wall.
The Two Towers (brick) -- This level's clone, "Zorn's Lemming", was never finished due to its extreme difficulty of execution.
There's no place like home (crystal) -- Taller than 200px but only for decorative purposes.
This Way Up (fire) -- Clone of "Just a Minute Part 5".
Three Blind Mice (brick) -- Clone of "The Tag Team".
Too Close for Comfort (snow) -- Clone of "Vignette".
Up on the Roof (marble) -- Not one of my best efforts. Not remade in Lix.
Vignette (snow) -- My best snow level.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2013, 12:25:40 AM »
thanks a bunch! I’m sure there’s plenty of great ones here to make in into the pack.
I’ll look through them soon, and post or maybe PM you with any specific questions.

EDIT: every time I try to open one of your levels it says missing style or corrupt level. I'm new to Cheapo so no idea how it works really. (I looked in my style folder and there appear to be plenty of styles including all the original ones...)
..Or, are there screenshots of the levels I could see? (the stats are still viewable in Cheapo)
(I can't open them in the editor either)

------------
In case I didn't make it clear; I’m not sure yet how many levels and or ratings there are and this is still open to discussion.

I decided to use a new rating system;
If you rating the difficulty of any levels; Use a numbering of 1-6. This way if we have at least 6 ratings (I’m sure we will) this will help. A 1 will go in the first rating, 2 the second etc... Use decimal places to gauge it farther. So when rating, consider which rating the level is going in. It’s alright if we have an uneven number of ratings, this is just to make it easier to order them up in the end. It doesn't have to be exact.

---------
I decided to make a new list completely from scratch because somebody messed with my computer again and now I can’t open the old file. Downloading a previous one from here won’t work either, I can’t open any excel file, it says; “transforming ‘something’ not available” I can’t remember, this happened to me before when I installed another Office program and it cleared up but I don’t remember how.

At least; this way I can fix the mistakes I made and organize it better. So I’ll upload the finished version sometime soon.
-----
also in case anybody's interested here are a few more of my favorite levels:

Insane Steve (that weren't mentioned): Mental Process, Herzeleid. I also sort of liked Catch-22 and Split Complimentaries even though they were sort of tedious. I don't think I'll be nominating these however except for Mental Process, I definitely like that one.

Clam: Fall and Die, Time Four, Hello Goodbye, Guns Blazing

Gronkling: Lemmington under construction, inside the Pyramid, Getting stuck in a cave (really hard!)

from the 2010 contest: The Aperture Science and The Galleon by Ellischant

Ball Pit and Lemdunk from Nortaneous

and lastly, It's a long way up by Finlay. I know some people here have solved this level. Please let us know if it uses a glitch. I don't think it does, but I should ask someone on IRC, but I keep forgetting.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:40 AM »
I'm trying to get the styles to you, but it seems the forum's file size limit is even lower than last time I did this. So it may be a choice between putting each style in an individual post, or using e-mail, if I could have your address.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:54 PM »
oh okay, just send them to my email, thanks:

whatshuh@gmail.com

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013, 01:01:46 AM »
Proxima: I'd like to remake the Lix version of "From the Other side" (I think) I can't remember if that's the right name. I'm thinking of one that looks similar but the solution is different; it's about undermining miners.

I have since solved a lot more levels and thus rated their difficulties. And forget my question about "It's a long way up".

Now that I've changed my mind ten times, I might as well change it again; I'm thinking about including lesson levels again. If you'd be willing to let a level of yours be modified for a lesson/tutorial like level let me know. (whether it's one we've already nominated regularly or not)

updated list attached.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
I know I've been ignoring this more than I should :-[. For whatever reason I'm not a fan of Lemmini. But clearly this thing is happening, so I'll take a proper look this weekend sometime :-\

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Who wants to play some levels of random difficulty!
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
You do? Then you’ve come to the right place! Just download this folder of levels and play!
(Use Lemmix)

You also want to play test them for quality, backroutes, difficulty, and compatibility with Lemmini? That’s great! Give us all the feedback you possibly can. A 1-6 rating of difficulty, fun-ness, and any issues you run into would be great.

These levels are all either unsolved or are known to have backroutes. Try to find as many solutions as you can. The person who finds the most solutions and/or backroutes wins the title of back-route champion and ten thousand U.S. dollars. I’d like to get as many solutions as we can so we can possibly agree upon an intended solution.

be sure to use spoiler tags if you want to talk about a level's solution

I included at least three levels with a hidden trap just to torment geoo. [not really it just happened that way]

“Turn it around” had a mistake; 0% was required. I think Akseli told me it’s supposed to be 100% but I don’t remember how he knows that. This level isn’t on Yawg’s youtube channel.

“How to evacuate a goldmine” was from geoo’s archive and I don’t know who made this.

-Hakuin Ekaku