Author Topic: Lemmings Community Compilation Levelpack  (Read 32920 times)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Community Compilation Levelpack
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
ISteve03 level 9:
Exactly. I solved that level even without using the direct drop, and Steve said that he didn't know that it's possible (and that's why probably he never checked the right exit trigger area, which is misplaced). After that I heard that the intended solution is much more boring. :b I find that an excellent, difficult level if there wouldn't be the left exit! Though the execution of the solution perhaps could be harder in Lemmini.

I've told Gronkling about desctructible steel in Ancient Clockwork, and imo that's a mistake? But fortunately it didn't affect the level in any bad way I could find. Though of course destructible steel issues should always be fixed. :P And Gronkling, I'll highlight that some of your best levels are in packs 3 and 4, we shouldn't forget those either, although there is backroute fixing to some extent. :) Also, I like a lot 5-5 and 6-6, but they are tricky to execute, so I didn't include them in my original list yet, but they are definitely worth of considering.

Nice to hear that my database ratings benefit people! : )

I haven't played finlay's that level, never found it from anywhere.

I could also look through minimac's levels, I remember at least 3-3: Use the grey matter for this being quite a nice level. There actually were also few levels in your 15 packs which I haven't solved yet, I should try them again. :P

It's been a year when I played Clam's packs (lots of levels there also I haven't solved yet, especially in the marvellous 04 :P), but my favourites of those (O marked levels in Clam's list) are FALL AND DIE, RABBIX, Crevasse, Nothing to Lose, Lem Squared and Circus Lemmings in Training.

About my levels, Crysilis is not suitable for this pack, but you can use Feel the Pressure if you want (fixing the death fall issue!).

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 03:14:17 AM »
I just realized that minimac is one of the most prolific level makers in the database.
I second the nomination for Use your grey matter. Really nice level minimac! Wasn’t too hard but definitely required some thought. So far I have quite a few of your levels nominated and I’m not finished looking at them.

I'm really tired right now so there'll be more info later.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
From my levels, 0-2, 0-4, 0-8 (counting from 1) are glitchless (4 and 8 just use some tricks), I'd definitely recommend 1-4, and if I can eliminate all backroutes and remove the glitch that served as backroute fix, then 1-9. From my work in progress second pack all levels are glitchless and probably suitable.

As for Steve's levels, I didn't include 10-7 as I wasn't entirely sure whether the behaviour works in Lemmini (though it probably does), and 10-4 I find a bit tricky to execute, especially with Lemmini lacking savestates it might get a bit annoying (then again, there are other levels where the execution difficulty is comparable). But well, with ISteve10, all levels are worthy to be included really. :) Yeah, ISteve08 has excellent levels, I just don't remember many things.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:31 AM »
Clam's list looks little depressing for example, almost half of the levels won't work at all in Lemmini, although they're some of the best ones for Lemmix. But, it's definitely interesting to find out which levels are workable in both Lemmix and Lemmini, and then try to collect the nicest of them together! : )

It looks kinda bad the way I put it, but remember that many only need quick fixes. As long as the main trick in a level works, I can fix it up to work in Lemmini. I should go back and add a third category for fixable levels. And thanks for the pointer to the Xmas tileset, I'll test those levels soon, as well as CSTame (aka. Tame Challenges) and my contest level.

And yes, add time, add lots of time! :) Maybe a few levels are marginally better off with some time pressure. But they shouldn't be like that anyway. Time limits suck!

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
okay, some updates:

there will be too finished packs; one for Lemmix and one for Lemmini. The only differences will be:
1. any minor changes needed for mechanics.
2. The bonus stage will be mostly different for each version, since most of those levels will depend on mechanics or glitches specific to the engine. I’m limiting mechanic specific levels to this rating. (example: Clam’s: About Face or Gronkling’s: A Dinosaur Blocks the Way)

I Don’t know yet how many ratings there will be, this must wait until I see how many levels end up getting nominated. Please note: You can nominate a level that somebody else already did, and please do so if you like that level. Levels with more than one nomination will have a better chance of making it in the pack.

Geoo: I realize you didn’t nominate this level but I’m just curious; why can’t I view “Through the Thicket” no matter what style I choose. (I can’t view Supplex tricks either)
I like geooPkG. The solutions are supposed to be easy to see, yet it’s rating 4 stars :D After a quick look, I can’t see what the glitch is. Is it one that’s familiar to most? (this can’t be the work in progress 2nd pack your were referring to, right?)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 02:10:08 AM »
Alright, here are some level lists!
I didn't include glitch levels or those which need lots of pixel precision. Also, I found it hard to choose from levels/packs which felt very backroutable, and I didn't have slightest ideas of what are the intended solutions. For example, Yawg's levels felt like this, though they were pretty enjoyable. :I

BulletRide: 1-9, 2-2, 2-9, 3-4, 4-6
Crane's GARJEN09: 5, 8, 9 (from the Garjen site)
Dodochacalo's Cachapack 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 (or all ten levels if there wouldn't be backroutes, this is most likely the very best 10-level pack I've ever played.) and Dodopack 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8
Ellischant's Eymerich02 levels 4 & 10 and E3Levelpack_F level 4
finlay's finpack01: level 3
Insane Steve: 1-8, 2-2, 3-1, 3-4, 4-2, 4-3, 6-8, 7-3, 9-1, 9-6, 10-4, 10-7, 10-8 (and those which I mentioned earlier. Looks like I have pretty much same choices than geoo had.)
JHIsan1's Consta level 1 and JHIsan1 level 8
Martin Zurlinden's MazuLems: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 22, 26, 29  (This is another pack from which even more levels could be chosen. Notice to take this from its site, because the camanis site has an older version, for example.)
MikauSchekzen's pack: Spicy11, Spitfire5, -7, -11
minimac: 1-5, 3-3, 4-4, 6-8, 8-7, 14-6, 15-3, 15-4
Nortaneous' nortpack01: level 9
weirdybeardy: 3-3, 3-8, 4-3
Yawg: 4-2, 4-3, 5-6

Oh, this list looks quite complicated. :XD: Let me know if you can't understand something. I took a rather quick look at these, I might add more levels later! Make sure that you check out those levels from the most updated packs, most of those are in the Lemmings Level Database.

Geoo: I realize you didn’t nominate this level but I’m just curious; why can’t I view “Through the Thicket” no matter what style I choose. (I can’t view Supplex tricks either)
I like geooPkG. The solutions are supposed to be easy to see, yet it’s rating 4 stars :D After a quick look, I can’t see what the glitch is. Is it one that’s familiar to most? (this can’t be the work in progress 2nd pack your were referring to, right?)

geoo hasn't answered in few days so if it doesn't matter: Read the levelpack descriptions in the database. :P I've viewed Through the thicket and Supaplex Tricks... in CustLemm. geooPkG is definitely 5 stars difficult pack, even though the solutions are extraordinarily supposed to stand out. ;D At least for me, the glitch is one of the most unfamiliar ones. If you manage to beat the first level playing it "normally", you should encounter the glitch.
Also geooPk2 was somewhere in Lemmix Level Pack Topic but the attachments seem to have disappeared? :XD:

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 08:09:22 AM »
Attached the 4-level preview of geooPk2. Level 2 and especially 3 are a bit tricky to execute, but they are all glitchless.

You can view Through the Thicket and Supaplex Tricks in Lemmix if you edit the LemmixStyles.ini accordingly.
I think the lines you have to add to extend the Custom Lemmings style (the way they are in my file) are as follows:
Code: [Select]
[CustLemm_10]
GraphicSetClass=TBaseDosGraphicSet
BrickColor=4292923568
GraphicExtFile=vgaspec4.dat
GraphicFile=VGAGR6.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=CustLemm_Spec4.lga
GraphicSetId=10
GraphicSetIdExt=5
GraphicSetName=Spec4
MetaInfoFile=GROUND6O.DAT

[CustLemm_11]
GraphicSetClass=TBaseDosGraphicSet
BrickColor=4291854368
GraphicExtFile=vgaspecS.dat
GraphicFile=VGAGR0.DAT
GraphicSetArchive=CustLemm_SpecS.lga
GraphicSetId=11
GraphicSetIdExt=36
GraphicSetName=SpecS
MetaInfoFile=GROUND0O.DAT
(With CustLemm it works natively.)

Yeah, the G in geooPkG is for glitch, and as Akseli wrote you're supposed to stumble across that glitch in the first level trying to solve it normally. If you really want to know what it is without trying:
Blocker areas lingering (First used by ccx in Wicked 7 to improve the max saved record), and moving trigger and steel areas.
All the following levels use variations of that glitch.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
- Does Lemmini support the Xmas/Holiday terrain?
http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=698.msg15546#msg15546

The link there uses a download manager called iLivid. I've read about this and it seems to be malware. Did anyone here actually download this?

And if anyone has the Christmas style for Lemmini, can you please provide a safe download?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »
Tried to access the file, the site claims "file not valid". So, it should be reuploaded in any case.

-- Simon

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
I downloaded it from uci's link. Though the only level I've played with that Christmas style is that uci's 2013. :P Attached the Christmas style for Lemmini.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »
Attached is an excel spreadsheet of the big level list. This is a list of all the current nominations and levels under consideration. If you’ve nominated a level and it isn’t in the list please add it.
Voting hasn’t begun yet, we’re still organizing the levels and taking care of backroutes and such.

You can also go down the list and rate levels by difficulty. 1=fun, 2=tricky/taxing, 3=mayhem, 4=above mayhem, 5=hardest.

If you’d like to nominate a level that is already on the list that you haven’t already, put a 1 in the blank nominations column.
Also, if you’d like to add a level to the list, do so and, if you can, fill out the information for it. Just put it at the end of the list.

In the notes column, there are notes about backroutes and issues. If there is a CHECK it means the level needs verification of being solvable, whether or not it uses glitches or odd behavior, and if it has backroutes. If you can answer any of these questions about said level, please fill in the information in that column of the level, overwrite the CHECK.  If a level has no known backroutes, and doesn’t use a glitch, write GOOD in that column. ( you only have to do this for a "CHECK" level)

If you know the authors of the 2008 contest levels, please fill those in. And if I made mistake as far as spelling or anything like that, you can correct it. You don’t have to fill out the whole list, for example if you only address any issues with your own levels, that’s fine.

If anybody has any problems or questions about this, or how to use excel just ask.

[note: I'm not done looking for new levels myself, I realize some mentioned don't appear]
We have a clear lack of levels by Pieuw and Lacktardo, if anybody knows of some levels we can get from them that aren't from their big packs that would be great.

edit: I just saw/watched Lacktardo's replays of the 2010 contest, so I'll check those of the "check" list. Most are usable, and look really nice!

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 12:15:13 AM »
Looking good! :D

Attached the modified list. I filled all the tilesets and locations, fixed mistakes and typos and added geoo's nomination to the end of the list (Steve's Preventative Maintenance), that one was missing. I didn't do anything else yet, but here's the fixed list! The biggest mistake was this: elfpak01 and its levels are made by -H0ru5-, not Ellischant. There still might be some minor mistakes, there are so many levels that I looked them through pretty quickly. möbius, the tileset of Hard to Port is marked as Snow, is this intentional?

Also, because the first ratings are supposed to step up faster by difficulty than in original Lemmings games, maybe 1 should mean Fun/Tricky, 2 Taxing, 3 Mayhem etc. We don't need as many easy levels as there are in official games.
Rock House and Patience is a Virtue were contest levels I don't know the authors, others I knew.

We have a clear lack of levels by Pieuw and Lacktardo, if anybody knows of some levels we can get from them that aren't from their big packs that would be great.

I'll handle the case of Lacktardo's levels, but there surely aren't many of them available. :)
About Pieuw's levels, it is the same thing as with namida's levels, all the best ones of those guys are in a megapack. So, it's just that either we decide to take some levels from those packs or we don't. But I find that there are enough levels without those perhaps, or what do you think? Pieuw's older pack, Lemmings2007, is suitable for picking levels for the starter rating though in my opinion! :)

I'll add more of my nominations later! If there are already ie. 2 nominations for a level, and I want to nominate it as well, I just put there number 3 and so on?
Now everybody mention if some of your favourites are still missing from the list! :)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 04:21:59 AM »
möbius, the tileset of Hard to Port is marked as Snow, is this intentional?

yeah, I’m redoing that level in case it makes it into the pack, on account that we were lacking in snow levels.

Also, because the first ratings are supposed to step up faster by difficulty than in original Lemmings games, maybe 1 should mean Fun/Tricky, 2 Taxing, 3 Mayhem etc. We don't need as many easy levels as there are in official games.

okay, that sounds good. I'll try to rate accordingly.

I'll add more of my nominations later! If there are already ie. 2 nominations for a level, and I want to nominate it as well, I just put there number 3 and so on?
Now everybody mention if some of your favourites are still missing from the list! :)

yes, that's correct.
yeah, Pieuw’s older pack; I looked through it and got some early, fun levels.

also, geoo just reminded me of shvegait and Conway’s levels which are worth looking at. Timballisto and Siergiej also have a few. I'm being very selective now, since we already have way too many. I've also been making some edits, notably removing levels I've "considered" but not nominated (levels which nobody else nominated)

If anyone has levels they'd like to nominate from anybody, especially those we haven't mentioned or mentioned little, like Shvegait, please do so.
I've updated the list with some more authors.

EDIT: I've updated again: see second attachment. I kept the old one for backup.
Anything highlighted in orange is a level with an issue. A level in white has no issues and is ready for voting!  :D

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 12:31:02 AM »
some more updates.
-I looked through all of Conway's 13 levelsets.
-I looked at videos of some levels (like Ellischents and noted where videos exist)

what's left to do:
-fix backroutes
-fix issues with compatibility.
-rate difficulty.
-Look at Shvegait, Fernito, Seirgeij levelsets. I'm not real confident at getting this last point done alone. Most of their levels are pretty difficult and would take me a long time to solve.

List is still being updated and new nominations are being taken into account. Also some nominations may be removed (nominations I may have made prior to testing)

thanks for all the help. :)

-To anyone who downloads the list and is willing/has time. Rate as many levels as you want/can by difficulty. The rating is a 1(easy) - 5(hard) , you can use decimals if you feel necessary and this would help it be more accurate.

-Hakuin Ekaku

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »
I recently managed to solve many harder levels, like Yawg's Duality (6-10), and that one was as mighty as I always thought it to be, so I definitely nominate it! :) Some more levels I'd like to nominate (that aren't in the list):

Clam Spammer - Times four (circular clicking) [2-4], Flotilla (4-1)
Conway - 5...4...3...2...1...Uh-Oh! (BOP!) [2-7]
Dodochacalo - Perfect Harmony (Contest 2010)
Ellischant - Clockwork Pink (1-10), That Freezing Feeling (3-4)
Fernito - Clonic Inferno (6), Dilemma (8 )
hubbart - Lempire state building (6-5)
Lacktardo - Minor Miners (Contest 2010)
möbius - Exit, Stage Right, The Lemming with the Golden Gun
Shvegait - Impasse (1-3), There's one small problem... (2-5)
Wade Henricksen - Please Save Us! (the 2nd level from this pack: http://darktreemedia.com/lemmings/)

I'd like to give my nomination also for the following levels, which are already in the list (and I haven't yet nominated myself):

DragonsLover - Easy when you know how ! (4-10)
geoo - About to Break (2-1), Recurrent Sacrifice (2-2), One Step Off (2-4)
Pieuw - Have Skills, Will Travel (Contest 2010)
tseug - The Gr8 Escape (5)

I've solved all the levels from the CommunityLevelList3 except the following ones (so I can't confirm them to be solvable, and I probably can't nominate/vote for them :-\):

Clam Spammer - Builder's Cracks (4-4), Training Zone Alpha (4-7), From the Brink (4-9), Fill the floor (5-8)
Conway - Out of the Frying Pan... (13-6), Can't find any gaps (13-8) [Where I can get this levelpack?]
Finlay - It's a long way up
geoo - Down the Cliff (0-4), The way up (1-4), Just As you'd Expect (2-3)
Gronkling - A DINOSAUR BLOCKS THE WAY (7-10)
-H0ru5- - Fortress 13 (1-10)
Insane Steve - Bad Maniacs
Sever - Justice From Liberation (4-10)

So those who have beated these levels could judge better than me if they are great. :P

Also there are other levels which I think to be awesome but I haven't solved them. For example, Clam Spammer's The Floodgates Open (4-10) has always amazed me, so does anybody know if this suits well in this compilation pack? :P Does it require glitches or is it annoying to pull off? Or is it just absolutely spectacular?