Author Topic: What video game(s) are you playing at the moment?  (Read 116225 times)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: What video game(s) are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #150 on: July 03, 2018, 01:39:36 PM »
Legend of Grimrock. It's a dungeon crawl with a good balance between combat sections, puzzles and hunting for secrets. I got into this game through youtuber Alex Diener, who is part of the DROD community. I've already completed Grimrock 1 on Hard mode, and now I'm just finishing off an old-school mode (i.e. no mapping) run so as to get 100% achievements, before moving on to Grimrock 2 (which my girlfriend gifted me last night -- we each gave each other a game to celebrate the end of her exams).

One of the main points of interest is that both games have dungeon editors, and there are already some pretty awesome mods out there.

Both games are on sale at the moment; you can get both for £9 if you're interested 8-)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 04, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »
Decided to finally try out Sly Cooper and the Theivius Racoonus after rescuing it from the garbage.

Disc is playable just audio clips are hit and miss. I am liking what i'm playing so far, though I may need get another copy just in case. I should probably get this sequels as well.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »
Superstar Saga is pretty great. Since it seems like you're trying to keep things challenging, I'd stay away from the Mush Badges. They snap the game in half, literally removing all difficulty from any remaining battles in the game if used properly. It's fun to experience such power at least once, though.
Thanks for the suggestion (I'm reading it late, though :P), I am using the Mush badges. They aren't as strong now though, as I don't have so many mushrooms, not grinding, and not buying from the item shops.

When my year at school ended I got two great presents from my mother: the Nestle-Aland Novum Testamentum Graece, and Yoshi's Woolly World. The latter is more appropriate to talk about here ;) (and, to be honest, I haven't used the first yet :$).
Since Yoshi's Woolly World's release, I've been planning to get it, and since it came out I have also been listening to the soundtrack. Surprisingly, I actually liked the Yoshi's Woolly World soundtrack more than the original Yoshi's Island soundtrack - which is my second favourite SNES soundtrack (behind Donkey Kong Country 2).
Now I know the rest of the game is amazing too!! I can't play it at the moment, as I'm at my own home and my Wii U is at my parental home. But I am very impressed by the amazing graphics and level design. ^.^ Even those truly rival the original game, which is very impressive, as so far, the original Yoshi's Island (I wouldn't be able to pick between the SNES and GBA versions) is my favourite video game I've ever played.
:thumbsup:

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2018, 07:28:28 AM »
I have now finished Superstar Saga, and indeed, the Mush badge is overpowered. Bowser's Castle was quite a challenge, until I decided to try give Mario the Mush badge too (I had assigned him the Soulful Bros. when I got that). Then everything was easy, until the final battle. :P
Cackletta's Soul was very challenging as always. But when I first got though the initial attacks (I got lucky with what she decided to use), I did manage to stick in. I used up all my 1-Up Supers early on, but I managed to avoid dying for the rest of the battle, as I had relearnt most of the attacks.
Also during this playthrough I looked up how to perform the advanced commands of Chopper Bros. and Knockback Bros.. They are very fun! They also seem overpowered, though, as there is no limit on the amount of damage done. It's probably much less significant without the Mush badge, though, as the damage gets to rather low values without it.
Next time I will play with the same rules, but without the Mush Badge. :) Because of my no-grinding rule, there is a great level-difference between my first save file on this cartridge and my second one. The first one, I completed with Luigi at Lv. 46 and Mario at Lv. 45, whereas I completed this one with Luigi at Lv. 36 and Mario at Lv. 35. It also only logs 15:00, compared to 17:24.
I wonder how quickly I can fully complete this game... I've got this idea of once playing the entire game in one day, as a marathon of some kind. :P

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2018, 06:32:26 PM »
I just discovered Universe Sandbox 2 - a simulator that allows you to create own solar systems, galaxies, etc. - or simulate the consequences of many different cosmic events, both realistic and hypothetical ones (e.g. like what would happen if Earth were orbiting a different star than our own).

It's still in its early release phase, but apparently it gets updated pretty quickly. Remember the news of 12 new moons discovered around Jupiter, just a couple of days ago? Apparently those have already been added to the game! :)

There is also a free equivalent to this called Space Engine - I don't know whether it allows the creation of custom solar systems as well, but it seems to consist of a larger overview of the known galaxy, whereas in Universe Sandbox, the known parts of the galaxy are subdivided into different simulations. (For example, if you open up a simulation of all our closest stars, then this simulation doesn't necessarily include all the planets around those stars by default; you can add them manually though.)

There's a YouTuber called Anton Petrov who frequently showcases both programmes, i.e. Universe Sandbox and Space Engine.

I thought some of you might share this field of interest - you probably didn't name yourself Proxima or your pack ranks "Neutron Star" and "Black Hole" for no reason ;) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2018, 10:27:56 PM »
On the topic of Superstar Saga, there is a glitch in the English releases where certain enemies like Bowletta and Cackaletta's soul actually have 5000 extra HP so that they can run their special death scripts when their HP dips below 5000. This leads to a glitch where if you can reduce their HP all the way to 0 in one turn, they won't die properly and the game starts to bug out.
I was actually able to do this on my GBA to Cackaletta's soul with Knockback Bros. Advance and Mush Badges. At the time I thought it was some freak coincidence. Only recently did I find out why it happened.

They found new moons around Jupiter? Neat; didn't know that.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2018, 05:19:22 AM »
I picked up a game called Extreme Exorcism via Playstation Plus recently. It's great, highly recommend. I uploaded a short gameplay vid on Youtube the other day.

Basic premise: It's an arena platformer, with the twist that in most cases, the enemies are your ghosts from previous rounds.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2018, 11:38:35 PM »
Funny thing happened when I ordered the Rhem games from amazon last christmas, I went to order it and another game came through the post, can't quite remember the name but it was a game I've never even heard of before. I think it was a new game. I could maybe try to order the Rhem game again this christmas for my brother, hoping my brother is not peeking at these forums or anything as he will know what he's getting.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2018, 12:14:25 AM »
I finished a small 3D puzzle game called "The Room". It was pretty nice; it' essentially a series of puzzles where you have to figure out how to open up this very complicated treasure box. The graphics were great, the detail was nice and the puzzles themselves were mostly very good. I also liked the loose story and theme behind it all; very mysterious. :)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2018, 08:32:16 PM »
Found another gem among the Playstation Plus games, "La-Mulana EX".

It has similarities to Spelunky, but it isn't randomly generated and doesn't have permadeath (you can always just go back to your last save). Instead, it has a huge pre-made map in a "one-screen-at-a-time" scrolling style (similar to that of the original Oddworld games), full of various puzzles, bosses, etc. I've clocked up about 10 hours - not including time after resets / game overs - and while I don't know for sure, based on how filled out my inventory and how many bosses I've fought I'd guess I'm maybe slightly short of half way to complete?

It's also avaliable on PC, PS3, Vita (which is what I'm playing it on) and a few others - no PS4 sadly - and there's a sequel that's already out on PC and is coming soon to PS4, Switch and XB1 (but I haven't looked much into it yet).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2018, 11:55:13 PM »
I'm getting super into the Link to the Past Randomizer right now. I forgot how good that game is, and with the randomizer, it really never gets old.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2018, 11:15:59 AM »
I'm getting super into the Link to the Past Randomizer right now. I forgot how good that game is, and with the randomizer, it really never gets old.
I've got A Link to the Past, but I feel like it's too hard for me. If I ever try to continue it, I should follow a walkthrough, as I keep getting stuck.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2018, 12:04:03 AM »
Found another gem among the Playstation Plus games, "La-Mulana EX".

It has similarities to Spelunky, but it isn't randomly generated and doesn't have permadeath (you can always just go back to your last save). Instead, it has a huge pre-made map in a "one-screen-at-a-time" scrolling style (similar to that of the original Oddworld games), full of various puzzles, bosses, etc. I've clocked up about 10 hours - not including time after resets / game overs - and while I don't know for sure, based on how filled out my inventory and how many bosses I've fought I'd guess I'm maybe slightly short of half way to complete?

It's also avaliable on PC, PS3, Vita (which is what I'm playing it on) and a few others - no PS4 sadly - and there's a sequel that's already out on PC and is coming soon to PS4, Switch and XB1 (but I haven't looked much into it yet).

Upon further playing, I have to say that - while it's still fun - I'm not as impressed as I was at the start. While it started out with fun, clever but reasonable puzzles and a huge exploratory aspect, later on it becomes a major case of repeated "guide dang it!". When you've already explored most of the map, it just isn't that interesting to explore it all again to find the one thing that's changed; and some of the hints are ridiculously vague, also with some cases where it's entirely unclear even when, let alone where, they apply - often a hint applies to the same screen you find it on, but there are some where it doesn't even apply to a screen in the same area.

Some of Spelunky's secrets are similarly obscure, but at least in that case, it has the draw factor of that the main overall game you're playing each time while hunting for these secrets, is constantly changing, and so it doesn't get boring nearly as fast.

I'm still going to keep playing it, but I've long since abandoned any hope of doing it guide-free. Though I am trying to only refer to guides when I need to, rather than following one all the way - a bit risky seeing as the game has a few permanent-missables, but oh well.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2018, 09:47:42 AM »
Upon finally completing La Mulana; I do have to say that despite the few really obscure puzzles, it is a pretty good game. A couple of the bosses (Palenque and Baphomet in particular) felt very luck-reliant, but others were very well designed tests of figuring-out and skill (Tiamat in particular, but also Viy and the final boss). One thing that was just stupid was the bonus dungeon - I don't think I've ever seen such a blatant example of fake difficulty as that dungeon (and I've played a decent portion of I Wanna Be The Guy). Nonetheless, it's a good game overall, and I'll certianly be picking up the sequel at some point (which I've heard is a bit more reasonable on the puzzles).

But not yet, because in just over an hour, Red Dead Redemption II releases here, and I will be busy with that for the forseeable future.
My Lemmings projects

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2018, 11:38:49 PM »
Mu brother will be onto that game quickly (Red Dead Redemption II) I remember reading somewhere that the horses or animals you have in the game can be dead forever, if you get unlucky and kill your horse it will be dead forever I think. I remember watching my brother play the first red dead redemption and the graphics looked really nice, he kept on removing the skin from the dead animals.

Me on the other hand I've been playing some (Worms Armageddon) I usually do a game where each team has eight worms and six teams, five computer controlled teams. It's fun even till this day. Worms World party is really good also, different missions to worms armageddon but still really nice game. Titus interactive I think published the pc version of worms world party.

Tiger Woods games are really fun, I've still been playing the tiger woods 2008 version, the best golf games in my opinion.