Author Topic: Lemmings Plus DOS Project (third and final demo now available!)  (Read 52334 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Remake
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 04:23:54 AM »
Okay, I found two backroutes in your remake of Oblivion that aren't present in the Cheapo original.  Replays attached.  Description below:

Quote from: Highlight to read
1) The first backroute involves using one builder to turn the last lemming out around and make him block that way.  Then the first lemming out will block just before the trap, and the last lemming that approaches that blocker will dig, bash (which frees the blocker), and then build to the exit once he has bash all the way to the right edge of the platform.

This fails in the original because the "staircase section" is shorter (so the crowd takes a shorter time meandering through it while you are still bashing), and the distance the basher needs to bash in the original is a lot longer, so the crowd would overtake you and fall to their death before the builder finishes.

I don't know if there are enough terrain pieces to lengthen the platform, but a simple alternative would be to add some left one-way walls so that you cannot bash all the way to the right edge of the platform.

2) The second backroute involves having a lemming dig at where the trap trigger is, until it is completely bypassed, and also until the digger's pit is deep enough to trap lemmings from escaping left of it.  Have the digger build to stop digging.  Have one lemming block at the top of that triangle sloping piece of terrain, letting one lemming go past to build to the exit.  Free the blocker with a basher from the crowd.

In the Cheapo original, this doesn't work because there is a pillar hanging from the ceiling at the middle of the gap where you build to the exit, preventing you from getting to the exit using just one builder starting from top of the platform (the builder would bump his head on the pillar and stop building).  You would instead need to first dig down first at the edge of the platform, to keep yourself from bumping your head when you build.

The solution here is clearly to include the same pillar in the remake.  Lemmix shows you've only used up 370 terrain pieces so far, there should be enough left for you to add the pillar in.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 04:40:16 AM »
Ah, now I remember why I put that pillar there. I couldn't remember before, hence I didn't include it in the remake.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
Sometimes it can be a good idea to include decorative terrain anyways.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 05:34:29 AM »
Yeah, but Oblivion has always been a minimalistic level. On the other hand, levels like To The End have some added.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 05:30:03 AM »
Dialing 309 2000 has been done, but with an entirely new design and name (since the old one is kind of lame). It's now a much more hellish-looking level, with no Alert Taxis references. xD Additionally, it now requires 100% (since acheiving that is actually very easy with good timing).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 05:46:58 AM »
Can we actually see this level soon? I want to have a look. :)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 06:08:23 AM »
"Die the Death of the Damned"
Save 20 of 20 (100%)
Release rate 99
Time limit 3 minutes
Skills: 1 climber, 0 floaters, 0 bombers, 0 blockers, 6 builders, 2 bashers, 0 miners, 1 digger
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 06:18:37 AM »
In a matter of seconds I found your solution! Not as difficult as it actually is.

Make the first lemming a climber. When he's halfway through the first block let him dig and then bash under the fire. Build over each gap to the exit. Release the other lemmings by bashing through the wall on the right.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 06:24:01 AM »
It's not that hard, the main problem is running out of time if you wait too long to release the lemmings.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2009, 07:04:30 PM »
As long as it's not a "control the release rate exactly" level, the timing should be alright.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2009, 06:49:35 AM »
The default Release Rate is 99, so there's no worries about that.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
Sometime soon, will you post these levels up as a lemmings level pack so that we can download them off from the Lemmings File archive if that's possible?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »
I already released a preview on the last page, containing "Return of the T", "Oblivion", "Lemmerixo", "To The End!" and "No Salvation" (the hardest version of it).
My Lemmings projects

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
OK, that's only 5 levels. Don't forget that some users have Custom lemmings, so you need 5 more (If you can do that) :).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »
Why so? You just play the first five, then quit.

I might release a 10-level preview once I've done a few more levels. However, at the moment, I've only done 10 (9 if you don't count originals that weren't in the Cheapo packs) levels, excluding harder/easier repeats.
My Lemmings projects