Author Topic: Lemmings Plus DOS Project (third and final demo now available!)  (Read 52749 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Plus DOS Remake
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2009, 11:37:38 PM »
I'm still trying to work out which version is the harder of the two. The harder to do one is just that - a pain to pull off. The hard to work out one though, is (in my opinion) a very clever challenge, and I'd like to hear whether anyone has any success at beating it.

I'd definitely say the "hard to work one" is the harder of the two.  The Deadly Climb may be somewhat of a pain to pull off in CustLemm, but definitely not so in Lemmix with the replay feature.  And you don't really need to just try randomly either with the Deadly Climb--once you "get it" for two consecutive lemmings, you have the template for getting it right for the rest.

To me, it's a good sign that a level takes effort to work out whenever I feel the need to spend time making sketchings in Paint, and I did that for Not Gonna Work.  Another sign is that I forgot about certain things after working through one part of the solution, forcing me to think again to handle what I forgot about.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2009, 12:01:08 AM »
Here's another new level. Play on Lemmix for best results.
Since it's a time limit thing, the level is ruined if the player plays it on CustLemm, or worse, CustLemm in High Performance mode (where you gain even more extra time from the slow fade out).

I think I might have an idea for making the concept work without relying on the specifics of how much time the game gives you.  I'll PM you.

[edit: actually it's going to be a little trickier than I originally thought to get around the time issue, the level would need to be remade entirely.  I'll PM you anyway......]

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2009, 12:20:08 AM »
Haven't succeeded with "Not gonna work" :(
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2009, 12:37:44 AM »
It probably helps a little if you do "Not Gonna Work" in CustLemm or using Lemmix's "Custom Lemmings" style, to get the slightly higher safe fall distance (66 vs 63).  While I believe (but haven't verified) that the level is still solvable with the lower fall distance, there are enough fall distances in the solution relatively close to the maximum that, if you use the higher one afforded by CustLemm, you at least won't need to be as precise in where you start building etc. (or maybe have more builders to spare, say)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2009, 02:48:37 AM »
I've ignored this until now, and I'm not sure why. There are some very nice levels in here. :)

A few comments:

Return of the T - the bump on top of the central block of terrain doesn't look nice, and doesn't appear to be necessary.

No Salvation - The solution here (the one I found, at least) is horrible to execute because of the way blocker fields line up with the DOS grid. However, after working through this I was able to save 100% - in spite of your claim that it's impossible on this version.

Not gonna work - The lizard hides a part of the terrain that is quite important to the solution. Also it would be nice to have more sloping terrain in front of the exit so you don't have to click in exactly the right spot to turn the lemming around.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2009, 04:37:13 AM »
No Salvation - The solution here (the one I found, at least) is horrible to execute because of the way blocker fields line up with the DOS grid. However, after working through this I was able to save 100% - in spite of your claim that it's impossible on this version.

Haven't looked at the level (or even the Cheapo version thereof, if it's a remake) and too lazy to search the thread, but if this is a remake of a Cheapo level, perhaps your 100% solution is one that only works in DOS?  Or maybe once again namida accidentally omitted something from the level that was needed for backroute elimination, like the overhead pillar in Oblivion for example.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
No Salvation is original, not a remake. I just couldn't find a 100% solution myself, so I'd be pretty interested to see a replay. The intended solution doesn't require a blocker (although using one does help - but the grid alignment doesn't matter in this case, as it's only to help position a bomber).

I use Lemmix (original or ohno, whichever is applicable) with LookForLVLFiles to test, rather than the editor or CustLemm, so Not Gonna Work is definately possible with the original fall distance.

Clam: The bump in RotT was nessecary in the cheapo original, it simply stayed in the DOS port.

cc: Here's the level file for No Salvation.

All old downloads (except the official demo) have been removed.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2009, 11:25:55 PM »
Here's my 100% replay for No Salvation.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2009, 02:17:43 AM »
Nice. That's similar enough to my intended solution, so I'll leave it in there, though.

In case you were wondering, here's my intended solution:
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »
This solution can be modified quite easily to achieve 100%. Keep everything the same up to the second digger, then try something different.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »
I just came up with an AWESOME level. But I'm almost certian there's going to be a backroute or two. So, try it and see if you can find any (or if you can solve the level with the intended solution).

Quote from: Spoilers - not revealing the solution, but some tips to suggest if you may have found the intended one
The intended solution uses every skill (although it can be done without the floater), and can save anywhere from 92% to 96% depending on your timing.

EDIT: Okay, I'm *finally* out of backroutes that I can find. Let me know if you find any.

All old downloads (except the official demo) have been removed.
My Lemmings projects

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2009, 12:19:40 PM »
EDIT: Okay, I'm *finally* out of backroutes that I can find. Let me know if you find any.

This may be a backroute.  That said, for it to work it does require some very precise placement of the bomber and the final builder (you're more likely to fail than succeed).

[I attach 2 replays, depending on whether you play the level with DOS Lemmings mechanics or CustLemm mechanics.]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
That is indeed a backroute. >_>
But if it requires that level of precision, it's probably not important enough to urgently fix. I'll fix it in the final release, of course.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2009, 02:30:11 AM »
The fall from the top of the stairs at the start looks like one big drop. It's not easy to see at a glance that the lemmings can actually survive that.

However, after I figured that out it it didn't take me long to find a 100% solution (attached).

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2009, 05:59:34 AM »
...Yeah, but that uses a glitch.
My Lemmings projects