Author Topic: Stupid Computer Features  (Read 16952 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Stupid Computer Features
« on: June 19, 2009, 03:40:34 AM »
What stupid features does your computer have?
I especially want to hear about those that get in the way more often than they do what they are intended to do.

My CPU doesn't shut down through any way except the operating system, so if the computer freezes, or if you run an "It is now safe to shut down your computer" OS, you have to cut the power to the CPU as opposed to press the power button.  Very annoying.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Stupid Computer Features
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 03:52:01 AM »
Sounds like you have a seriously broken computer if something as basic as the power button doesn't work! :o  And I don't think that's a "feature". :D

Perhaps it's a mechnical failure in the button after repeated use.  You know, maybe the spring in the button no longer works or something, so that it's unable to register button presses.  I don't know how old your computer is, but maybe that's a sign you should get a new one? :P

[edit: never mind, as I've learned in a later post, Dullstar's power button isn't actually broken, it's working exactly the way it's designed to...]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:56:02 AM »
Then why does it start up by the press of the button?

Offline Mr. K

• Former admin, always Lemmings fan
    • View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 05:04:33 AM »
Try holding down the power button for a few seconds.  That should force it to shut off without cutting power (which is probably bad for the components)

My stupid "feature": Lovely geniuses at HP gave me an extra 1 IDE hard drive plug and 3 SATA hard drive plugs.  The problem?  There are no places in the case to hold these potential extra drives.  Right now my second hard drive is cunningly slid in to the only empty slot (not built for hard drives at all-- intended for a floppy drive or card reader), and is not held down in any way because the mounting screws don't line up.  If I tilted this thing it would probably fall out.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 05:33:23 AM »
I believe my computer has those dumb features too.  Or at least some of them...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 06:49:32 AM »
Then why does it start up by the press of the button?
Ah I see.

Mr. K is right of course.  I forgot I need to think like an average computer user not an expert.

Many computer nowadays have a "programmable" power button that doesn't directly cut power mechanically like old switches/buttons do.  Instead they just signal the OS (eg. Windows) that the button has been pressed and allow the software to decide how to response.  So for example, Windows could begin its shutdown sequence before actually cutting off power, allowing a clean shutdown (if you abruptly cut power while Windows is running, it may corrupt files on your disk).  Or on a laptop, the default behavior for the power button might be to put the machine to sleep instead of actually shutting it down.  So as you see, it's not as stupid as you think.

Of course, because it relies on the software to respond, you get the symptom that if the software has freezed, merely pressing the button will do nothing.  To force a shutdown in these modern power buttons, you need to actually press and hold it down for a few seconds, which will trigger the button's "hardware shutdown" bypassing the software.  This is a well-known feature of these modern power buttons, but I guess it's not the most obvious thing to do for the average user.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 08:17:02 PM »
I tried Mr. K's idea, and it works, though I need to wait for it to freeze again to test it for shutting down when it can't.  However, it does allow to do the "dangerous" shut down!

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
Note: that the CPU continues to operate even when a computer freezes is a part of the design of the computer. As far as the processor is concerned, it's waiting for another instruction but for whatever reason it is unable to receive one: it will simply continue waiting.

An unresponsive computer does not necessarily mean that a system is completely frozen. It could be that a programme is not time sharing properly, has hung, or that there are diagnostic services running to find out what the problem is. The system may also need some time to sort out what problem it is having, and so obviously having the computer say to itself "While I try to figure out what's wrong, I think I'll cut off power to all my components" is less than ideal.

When a modern Microsoft Windows system shows the blue screen of death, it may be set to reboot the computer or power down the moment that it has finished dumping the memory (or it can be set to not dump at all). Normally, it is set to wait.

While we're talking about stupid OS features, however, I must remark on my dislike for the feature in Windows Vista and onwards called Clipping Tool. The features in that could be well integrated into the system's Print Screen keyboard function. Mac OS X does something similar to this. Clipping Tool is great, don't get me wrong: making clean screenshots of entire windows without their surrounding elements is something I use regularly. However, it shouldn't take an application to do this when Mac OS Classic could do it with a keyboard shortcut. This is also one gripe I have about modern Linux distributions, which quite often lack the feature.
This Lemmings forum is simply *fabulous*!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 12:05:10 AM »
I don't know if this is anything later than XP, but if you mean just getting a screenshot of one window, try ALT+Print Scr.

On the subject of stupid computer features, here are a few security annoyances.

Don't you hate it when every time you try to open a program, it pops up a security warning with no obvious way to tell it that you can trust the program and it does not need to warn you every time you try and open it?  What about firewalls that have exception lists from which you can remove things from but not add them to it?  Or an Adblock program that acts more annoying than an ad by making it hard for me to run a game?  At least I didn't have to put up with it for long (my dad let me play RCT2 on his laptop in the car on the way home from vacation, and it was his computer that was acting up).  Mr. K's theory?  Because the game is old.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 12:19:23 AM »
Mr K may be on to something, legacy applications do often pop up such notices because they expect to be able to have free access to the entire computer.

As for alt-prscr, that works nicely but has weird results on Vista/7 (chops off the window shadow and frame).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 05:38:05 AM »
As for alt-prscr, that works nicely but has weird results on Vista/7 (chops off the window shadow and frame).

You'll have to show me that.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 05:39:04 AM »
If I had Vista/7, I would. :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 05:43:12 AM »
Then, um...  how did you know that?

I think right now my complain about Macs is that I don't have one other than the really old ones (Mac OS Classic) in the basement.  It really stinks, because Mac OS X is really a lot better than any version of Windows I've ever used, and I do like it better than Ubuntu.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 06:19:23 AM »
Well, logic would dictate that I've used Vista/7 in the past?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 12:00:45 AM »
I found that Ubuntu at least has part of the features, not sure how much of them yet, though.

Now here's one I can't figure out.  I have a program that works better on WINE than on Windows.  RCT 2.  What's up with that?  I mean, it's great since I like Ubuntu better, but that strikes me as weird.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
This next feature is more of an input rather than a feature. But here we go.

All laptops have a mouse input, which is very annoying to me. I prefer a wired mouse. The keyboard input isn't as bad as he mouse but the keyboard layout sometimes forces me to hold the function key down. Another thing I don't like about laptops.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »
My most hated annoying feature is the Microsoft Office Shortcuts window that always pops open when I start up. I know it's not doing any harm, but for whatever reason I like a tidy desktop so I always take the time to close it, and I know it's only a few seconds but I would still be grateful if someone knew how to make this not happen :) Ditto for that stupid thing that comes up in Word and says "You seem to be writing a letter, do you need your hand held every step of the way?" Goodness knows why they think writing a letter is so hard, unless it's just that it's something most people never need to learn nowadays....

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »
Ditto for that stupid thing that comes up in Word and says

Ah yes, the universally hated Clippy.  There're some funny bits in that Wikipedia article I linked to, particularly at the "Criticism and parodies" section.  (For example, find out what the codename was for that feature...... :P)  Clearly the biggest, most iconic blunder in user interface design of a Microsoft product to date.

My most hated annoying feature is the Microsoft Office Shortcuts window that always pops open <snip> I would still be grateful if someone knew how to make this not happen :)

If you can buy or "borrow" a copy of a more recent version of Office, do that; they've turned off and later removed Clippy from newer versions of Office, and I haven't seen the Shortcuts popup window for some years now.

Otherwise, I'll suggest Googling the Internet and see if you can find the instructions to turn off Clippy and the Shortcuts popup window.  At least I'm hoping there's a way (however obtuse) to turn them off.  Unfortunately I don't have a version of Office old enough to help you with those.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »
Here's another issue I have:
Every time I download a lemmix replay a pop-up comes up all the time with the option always selecting "Open File" and all I have to do is change the option to "Save File" before I click OK. The box check "Always do the selected action" is locked to off every single time. I don't know if there is any way round it.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of angry smileys in this thread. :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 06:33:14 PM »
Reply to Proxima's post, not minimac's.  Just clearing up confusion.

Have you tried OpenOffice?

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »
Well I have, but I don't think it relates to replays.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2009, 07:17:56 PM »
Oops.  I should have quoted Proxima, shouldn't I have?

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
Here's another issue I have:
Every time I download a lemmix replay a pop-up comes up all the time with the option always selecting "Open File" and all I have to do is change the option to "Save File" before I click OK. The box check "Always do the selected action" is locked to off every single time. I don't know if there is any way round it.

Yep, I get the same thing. The difference is, for me it asks me to open it with Lemmix because I set the .lrb format to use Lemmix (which was dumb, I know, because you have to open them from within Lemmix) and I don't know how to change it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »
Windows has an odd habit of randomly making my keyboard lock up.  Have you ever had to click the refresh button while posting because of an operating system goofing up?  Once you do that, though, it's fine.  But still!

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2009, 12:24:06 AM »
No, I can't say I have. Is your Windows PC okay? Sounds like it might be infected with viruses.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2009, 02:53:17 AM »
Um, no.  The reinstallations, virus scans don't lie.  Wow. hand it to HP to "design" a computer for Windows XP, yet has somewhat incompatible hardware...  I am going to try something though...

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 10:22:46 PM »
I hooked the keyboard that originally came with the computer back up.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 01:00:21 AM »
Thank'ee.  I'd like to take that Gateway keyboard back.  Weird as it sounds, I'm attached to that thing since I spent my earlier Internetting years punching the keys on it.

(Also, I think the 2005-2006 HP keyboards are uber smooth to type on, so good for you for going back to it.)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 01:28:58 AM »
An observation I have made is that Dell keyboards are the absolute worst to type on - I find I mike the most errors on those.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 01:59:52 AM »
They are quite bad.  The keys always feel sticky on them and give very very dull tactile feedback.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »
This barely makes sense.  We had to reinstall Windows (again) and we decided to instead of reinstalling XP go with 7.

The Graphics rating is 3.5, but the Gaming Graphics rating is 5.4.  Weird...  of course the graphics part is for Aero, and unless Compiz comes out for Windows, the desktop effects are staying with Linux.

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 12:53:45 PM »
I've just remembered another "feature" I absolutely can't stand and should have mentioned before. The ****ing "Insert" key. Why does it exist at all? What state of mind would someone have to be in to actually want to press it? Why, oh why, is it right next to the very small Backspace key? What masochist thought up this layout?

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
Once upon a time, the keyboard commands for Copy and Paste were Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert, respectively. It still works in Notepad, so give it a try!

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 11:04:24 PM »
I still use Ctrl+Insert and Shift+Insert for Copy and Paste, actually. It just feels more natural to me than Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V because I don't have to move my main typing hand (my left hand) out of position to do it.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 12:12:21 AM »
The ****ing "Insert" key. Why does it exist at all?

I believe when computers first come into availability, people still think of keyboard entry on a computer like it is on a typewriter, where there's simply no way to do the equivalent of an actual insert, but there are ways to sorta do "overwrite".  So I think keyboard entry on the computer started off as overwrite-mode only, until someone finally smarted up and figured out insertion is possible and far more useful.  It would make sense that at the time, it would be useful to have a key that can switch between the old "overwrite" mode that everyone's familiar with, and the new "insert" mode.  (Or, I could just be talking out of my behind this entire paragraph... :P)

Of course, nowadays the overwrite mode is fast becoming an anachronism.  Insert mode is the default, and often the only option available actually.

As for its close proximity next to backspace, I believe you have IBM to blame for that.  The original IBM PC/XT's keyboard layout does not have that section of keys between the main alphanumeric section on the left, and the numpad section on the right.  So if I recall correctly, the original IBM PC keyboard would have NumLock next to Backspace.  (The middle section was added when IBM PC's AT model come out I think.)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:09 AM »
I believe the guy who made the layout is Robert Sholes, but that does not explain the insert key, only the letter arrangement.  Many believe it is intentional that all the letters in the word typewriter are on the top row.  The reason has to do with typewriter stuff, but as far as the computer keyboards go, I have no idea.
Keyboards can be rearranged, if you would like to remove your insert key completely, I can tell you how to do it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »
Keyboards can be rearranged, if you would like to remove your insert key completely, I can tell you how to do it.

:o
<note to self: never lend any computer equipment to Dullstar...> ;P

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »

:o
<note to self: never lend any computer equipment to Dullstar...> ;P
Indeed.  He tends to lose bits of them.  While not mine, he was doing a cleaning job on a Macintosh ADB keyboard and I've noticed that the I key is missing.  And I sure hope he knows how to get that spacebar back on.

PS. Dullstar, don't touch my Apple Extended Keyboard II.  I love it and don't want it to get hurt!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
Ummm....  I only clean ones I think are dirty (either they are visibly dirty or used ones).

By the way, that Macintosh ADB keyboard had a strange mechanism on it, and I know space bars are hard, but that one's the only one that gives me lots of trouble.  Sometime, take the space bar off of at least one non apple keyboard, then take the space bar off one ADB's.  I promise you can tell the difference.

P.S.  I only clean equipment that is in my possession, or in some cases in our basement computer lab, spare dirty keyboards.  I won't clean anyone else's keyboards unless they specifically request.  And out of 3 keyboards, I only lost 1 keycap.  That's what percentage?  Besides, you don't even like that ADB anyway.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 02:56:20 AM »
As I said, I hope you can reassemble that thing.  I took a look at it when I was cleaning the basement and I couldn't find anywhere where that lone spring looked like it fit...

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 07:58:36 PM »
Here's a stupid computer forum feature:  Accidental 8) smilies [ie. when you meant "8" ")"]  :XD:

Offline GuyPerfect

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 03:00:59 AM »
Fortunately, you can disable smileys on your current post in Additional Options.

As for me, I always disliked the automatic "turn the smiley into an image" gimmick, so I just started making my smileys backwards. (-:

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
Apparently, doing your smilies backwards means you're left-handed. :-\
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 03:49:46 AM »
Actually, it doesn't.  I'm right handed!  (:
Another way that works on some smileys is to put = instead of :
But just putting (8 won't work for what I think ccexplore is complaining about, as he probably wants
Code: [Select]
8)Certainly you've seen this before?

1) blah blah blah
2) blah blah blah
3) blah blah blah
4) blah blah blah
5) blah blah blah

Watch what happens 5-10!

6) blah blah blah
7) blah blah blah
8) blah blah blah (no intentional smiley here)
9) blah blah blah
10) blah blah

Of course, that list is mainly for people who don't know what we're talking about!

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 12:30:14 PM »
Actually, it doesn't.  I'm right handed!  (:

I know you can do it if you're right handed. (: Try telling that to the exam board Edexcel, who also think LMAO stands for "Laughing My Ankles Off", and :F is a vampire with a tooth missing. :P

But just putting (8 won't work for what I think Pooty is complaining about, as he probably wants
Code: [Select]
8)

It wasn't me who complained. That was ccexplore. ;)
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 11:10:56 PM »
It wasn't me who complained. That was ccexplore. ;)

:o  :-[ Whoops!  Corrected.  ;)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 05:41:32 AM »
To start this post off, a little something funny in a typo:
Quote from: Typo I just made typing this post
Looking at my keyboard, I have no keyboard.

Looking at my keyboard, I have no insert key.  In its place, there is a key labeled "fn".  What does this key do?  I think it's the function key on laptops, but what does it do in the case that it is on a desktop keyboard?  If you aren't sure what I mean, I could take a picture of the keyboard.   I know by default, the iMac comes with a keyboard without a numeric keypad, so it would be similar if not identical to a laptop keyboard most likely, but then again, I wouldn't know because I have the one with the keypad (it doesn't bring the price out to get the keypad because the keyboard without the pad is wireless).

Also, in Windows 7, is it possible to turn the Windows key off?  Sometimes when I play a game, I'll accidentally hit the command key, which is (in Windows) the Windows key.  It's very annoying.  On the bright side, though, this iMac doesn't have a key literally labeled Windows, just one that picks up as the Windows key when booted into Windows!  Also, can I remap "Alt" to "Command" in Windows so when booted into that the key combination feels the same (you know what I mean, ctrl+alt+delete).

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »
Apparently, pressing fn+Alt+0 works (fn+Option+0?), or maybe fn+Enter.

As for disabling the windows key on Windows 7, there aren't any options i've seen that i'd like to try out on my own PC, but it can be disabled by editing the registry.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2010, 01:17:05 AM »
Stupid features; I have one. Lack of features.

iPods; there's iPods out there that cannot be turned off. Literally. Whose great idea was that!? I LIKE "off"

Then there's my iPod. The buttons are attached to the headphones, so you can't use the thing unless you have the right headphones. Apple sells them, and nobody else is allowed to unless licensed to do so by Apple.

I am done complaining about iPods now. Thank you.

Also, if anyone has recieved grief from iTunes, I would gladly sympathize with them and further sink into the pit of dissatisfaction.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2010, 05:50:21 PM »
Seriously?  Can't turn it off?  What kind of iPod do you have?  No buttons either?  Sounds odd...  Most iPods are tuned of by holding down the bottom portion of the wheel.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2010, 10:57:39 PM »
Well, technically it isn't "off".  It's "sleeping".  The thing still sucks up juice.  Which probably explains why my battery is nearly totally worn out after only two years.

Also, it seems he has the new Shuffle model.  I've always hated those things.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2010, 02:35:09 AM »
Shuffles make me laugh. They're glorified USB sticks with headphone jacks  :D.
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2010, 04:58:09 PM »
Mine does turn off, thankfully. It just doesn't do anything else. It was pretty funny, really; It took about half an hour after I got the thing to figure out how to do anything other than turn it on or off, since the only thing on it is an on-off switch.

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2010, 05:26:39 AM »
Shuffles make me laugh. They're glorified USB sticks with headphone jacks  :D.

How often do USB sticks talk to you?

Offline Liebatron

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2010, 07:57:07 PM »
xD

I carry on a correspondence with mine. I'll save a file onto it in Microsoft word then open its response in notepad. Unfortunately its responses are largely unintelligible.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »
I have a complaint now.

Why have all the iPods gone the way of the touch screen?  NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!  Not necessary!  Especially considering the size of some people's fingers.  If I wanted a touch screen on my iPod I would go out and by an iPod Touch.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
What a "touchy" world it is
Apple's new catchphraise

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2010, 10:05:19 PM »
My computer takes 10 minutes to load if I have a disc in the CD drive. One of my USB ports exploded. The CD drive doesn't work half the time. The cooling fan sounds like a chainsaw when it first starts up. My speakers are magnetic so putting them to cloose to the screen makes everything purple. etc.

Thats what happens when you make your computer yourself.  ;P

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
Not exactly.  Mr. Ksoft built his computer and it runs perfectly fine.

In fact, it probably runs better than all of the other computers in the house combined...

Offline The Doctor

• Jason the Human
    • View Profile
    • zapzupnz.com
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2010, 01:36:47 AM »
In response to a post from a long while ago from Dullstar:

The reason that Apple have chosen to go "touchy" with the iPod line is because direct interaction is easier for people, even with large fingers, than indirect interaction.

eg. "tap a song, play a song" rather than "scroll a wheel which goes round and round, watch a bar go up and down"

Of course, to seasoned pros of the click wheel, we can't understand what the gripe is about. To those who can't even use a computer mouse properly because moving your arm on a desk doesn't seem related to how a pointer on a computer screen in front of you moves, however, direct manipulation makes things so much easier.

And even if the iPod nano's screen is tiny, it's still a good size to hit targets with. It's also very accurate, because of the capacitive touch screen.

Offline Lemika

• The Lurker in the Level
    • View Profile
    • Corner the Maze - a webcomic
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2010, 03:45:38 AM »
I do wish iPods would actually turn off, or at least the model I have doesn't. It's quite annoying. Honestly, iPods annoy me in general, but they are much easier to carry around than a CD player and a stack of CDs, so I deal with it.  :P

The USB ports on the front of my case don't work too well - they tend to lose connectivity, and I have to hold things in or set them just right for them to work. I'm not sure exactly what caused it, which annoys me.

My computer case also theoretically has temperature sensors, but they don't work. That doesn't bother me too much. I wired the front panel wrong initially, but I fixed it last time I opened up the case to upgrade my video card.

Offline Mr. K

• View Profile
    • Wafflenet
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2010, 03:11:26 AM »
I ranted about iPods not shutting off before... problem is worse now, even.  Can't listen to it for an extended period of time (more than maybe 2-3 hours) unless I shut the backlight completely off.
Of course, with how much they charge for battery replacement, I'd be best off getting a newer iPod.

My temp sensors on my PC are working (and it runs amazingly cool, even with a power hungry Core i7 and a Radeon 5870) but I messed up probably the simplest part, the power light.  Too lazy to go in there and fix it though.