Author Topic: Epic Lemmings Fangame  (Read 20258 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Epic Lemmings Fangame
« on: May 25, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »
No longer a question, guys!
Now all we need are more level developers to do this, and, of course...

SOMEONE TO INSERT SOME NEW FEATURES!!!

Here's what we have, since the old forums... POOF.
Well, more like WANT to have.

Saving
Statistics
Linear Level Unlocking (like Revolution)
And of course, new levels.

I think there was more, but I forget what.

Submit a level here! Just submit the levels here now.  I don't know if it can be done, but I would like the topic that used to link to merged into this one.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
Re: Epic Lemmings Fangame
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 01:38:32 AM »
Haha.  I guess I should post a download link so you can go pick up the demo pack, so we can rate things, and stuff...

Sorry 'bout the mistake where I included "The Ice Palace" twice.  Oops. :P

Download it here

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 06:07:57 AM »
I had a look at your pack. Here's a quick review :)

1 - Nice. Solution is reasonably well hidden but easy to execute.
2 - A good easy level. One of the brick pieces at the left is slightly misplaced - you might want to fix that ;)
3 - 80 climbers?  :sick: No one wants to click on 80 lemmings individually. I'd recommend cutting it to 20 or fewer.
4 - That's the same solution I found earlier. Good, but possibly too similar to #2. Needs to be centred.
5 and 6 - Two nice simple puzzles there.
7 - You can only have 4 working trapdoors in a level. Also, it's hard to see that the terrain is slightly off vertical - which is crucial to the solution.
8 - Too similar to #4 ;). You can edit the pack to replace that level by the way.
9 - Slightly messy, but the multitasking isn't too bad.
10 - Far too big, so too much time spent waiting for them to walk. You can cut out most of that without changing the solution - I recommend you do this.

Overall: Decorative terrain is very good. Skill availability and % requirements could be loosened a bit to give the player some freedom, but with some incentive (i.e. scoring) to come up with the best possible solution. If we don't do scoring then you can probably scratch that last poimt.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 05:27:56 AM »
We'll see what makes the cut.  However, the one with the five trapdoors?  I think that can go.

About #8:  It is number four, like I said, wasn't supposed to be there twice.  I'll fix it as soon as I finish the level I'm working on currently.

As for number 2, I'll modify the .lvl and fix it.

Number three, I guess it does need to be smaller.

Number 1:  Any better ideas for the name?  If you want to know why it's called "Attack of the Killer Toddlers," that's what the solution and set made me think of.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:35:36 PM »
I modified the pack.  You might want to re-download it.
Some of the problems Clam Spammer mentioned have been fixed (most of them, actually).

Some new levels are in, replacing Quintuple Trouble (7) and the accidental exact clone of Ice Palace (8)

I'll replace Ode to Ceiling Routes (10) as soon as I have another level to go in its place.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 11:30:43 PM »
The new level 7 looks very much like level 1. I like this level in its own right though.

Level 8 can be solved easily by bashing out to the left and building up - with so many other skills available, I doubt this is the intended solution. It also contains a large backroute using a certain glitch (the first one on my list in the glitch thread).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 01:44:12 AM »
Well, that's okay.  I feel no need to go in to fix backroutes on those levels.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 10:48:19 PM »
NEW IDEAS:  This is sorta Mr. K's idea, but here goes:

100 lemming capabilities.
Don't know if it would work, though, but if it would, that would be great!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 11:11:54 PM »
Sorry to triple post, but the second pack is done!  epic02

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 12:18:04 AM »
I don't see any need to have 100 lemmings in a level. Anyway, I've quickly gone through the new pack.

1: Nice simple level. Very interesting possibility of a solution going via the left side of the map.
2: Too easy? This could go well at the start of the game, I guess.
3: I like the decoration. Check your trigger areas ;)
4: Again, check your triggers. A little heavy on the flamethrowers I think.
5: I found a backroute that saves 9 with a miner to spare, and without using the floaters, [edit: and two spare builders]. This can probably be fixed though.
6: I think this would be better if you removed the fake steel and had regular terrain in its place.
7: Fairly simple. I like it.
8: I don't like this one. Hidden exits have been done to death.
9: Interesting. The apparently obvious "outside route" doesn't work, and the actual solution doesn't reveal itself straight away.
10: Could use some decoration.

Re: trigger areas: You can only have 16 working triggers in one level due to limitations of the original game. Any objects placed beyond this will not have triggers, which leads to (among other things) lemmings falling through water instead of drowning. This is easy to fix - select all objects that don't need triggers (water that can't be reached, trapdoors, top part of exits), then cut and paste.

And my pack is now up to 9 levels. Look out :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »
Could you PM me replays of these so I can find the problems you mentioned?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 03:00:33 AM »
Oops, level 5 didn't have a spare miner. I did have 2 builders spare though. I'll send the replays for 1 and 5 shortly.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »
I believe these come with a .txt file, so you might want to include those.  It's worth a shot, as when I try to load the replays Lemmix spits out an error.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »
I find the text files to be largely useless for working out what happens in a level replay. If you still can't get the replays to work then I can PM you a description of my solutions.

My first level pack for this project is done! There's a link to it in my sig, and I've explained it somewhat in the levelpack thread. Basically, you can solve each level in different ways, and they could tie in with my proposed scoring method if we decide to use that. Plus there is a challenge for each one :)

Offline EricLang

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
I would like to know what is the error of Lemmix. I could explain the structure of the .txt replay file, although you cannot do very much with it.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:44:48 PM »
You know what, just PM me the solutions.  Much easier in the long run than bothering to get the replays to work.

EDIT:  Never mind, your new set of directions in the Help board fixed it.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 06:19:59 AM »
Should I re-post my ideas from the Perfect Blend thread, or at least the ones that are probably going to be easy to add to the game?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 07:18:24 PM »
Only if you want to. ;)

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 04:25:30 AM »
I don't know why I feel like I need permission to post stuff, but anyway...

Besides what you've already mentioned:

Saving
Statistics
Linear Level Unlocking (like Revolution)
And of course, new levels.

These are the things that I would like to see. I've changed my mind on a few things, partly because we might not have a super expert programmer to do this for us now, but I still like the following ideas:

• improved display during levels, so you can keep track of the level goals
  • scoring
  • challenges
  • achievements
  • fast forward
  • replays (including the ability to save and share replays)
  • bulletproof steel
  • ability to release blockers by giving them a skill
  • extra skills, like jumper and swimmer - but be VERY careful not to use these to create "hero" levels
  • antigravity
  • cheats (graphical and sound options, rather than cheats that make the levels easy)

And if we still have the programming expertise required:

• online connectivity for updates , leaderboards, and the like
  • online multiplayer
  • customisation
  • in-built level editor with an online level database that you can access from within the game window (rather than having to go through the forums to find new levels)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 05:51:22 AM »
Agree with the release blockers.  Certainly.

Graphics Cheats could be interesting (Press 2 on your numeric keypad to make lemmings cycle through their animations in random frame orders, or whatnot)

Or Sound Cheats:  Pressing 3 will result in Tandy, VGA, Genesis, Amiga, SNES, and Master System music to play all at the same time.

Those could be interesting.  I'd like to see those cheats in the game just to see what it would be like.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »
This is the thread for the Epic Lemmings Fangame.  Check out the thread, if you haven't already.  (bumped for the benefit of someone who asked about it in another thread when I mentioned it)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
I'd really want to participate in this! I submited a level pack in the submissions thread (need testers for the maps please :-[!).

BTW, I already played the first Dullstar's pack. Levels are very nice, and I like the effort you put in the decoration. For some reason, the exit of the last level doesn't work.
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:05 PM »
You may have a bad tileset...  what tileset is that level?  I can't remember.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 11:01:22 PM »
You may have a bad tileset...  what tileset is that level?  I can't remember.

It has the tileset with the blinking OUT sign (the same set than Havoc 20).

PS: Forgot to mention that I was using custlemm :-[ Maybe that's the problem?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 11:14:14 PM »
Could be the problem...
I'll test it myself and get back to you.

You'd think it would already be tested, but I think I made that level before Linux was my main operating system, so it probably hasn't been tested in CustLemm.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 11:38:10 PM »
OK, let me know how it works :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 04:25:49 AM »
Blarg!  It...  won't...  work...  at...  all...

Maybe when I get a Mac we'll see about this... currently my computer refuses to test it.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 04:44:07 AM »
LOL!  :D

Forgot to mention! The Menacing II level crashes on cust lemm. I'm pretty sure that it's because of the dragon head (the upper part of the exit object). Maybe its Y coordinates are negative?

BTW, took a glance to the levels I submited?

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 06:38:56 AM »
Forgot to mention! The Menacing II level crashes on cust lemm. I'm pretty sure that it's because of the dragon head (the upper part of the exit object). Maybe its Y coordinates are negative?

I can explain this. You've placed objects off the top of the screen. You probably noticed that they disappeared when you loaded up the level - they're not really gone, they've just moved. (Quite a long way, in fact - this happens because the game doesn't allow negative values here). Open the Level List (F9) and have a look through the list of objects and you should be able to see what has happened. To select objects on the list you have to press Space (I don't know why this is...), and then you can delete them.

To find this sort of thing, go to the Tools menu and select Validate Level. If this comes up with any errors, you're likely to have difficulties playing the level in Custlemm.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »
Just as I thought. That happened to me a bunch of times when making maps in Lemedit, and since it hasn't a validate button I had some terrible times trying to figure out why the levels crashed :P I finally came up with the conclusion that custlemm doesn't like negative coordinates (only in the objects if I'm not wrong?).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 03:52:03 PM »
Yes. Objects are a concern as it doesn't like negative coordinates. I wonder if steel area is affected too.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 12:27:07 AM »
I just tested this. Yes, steel areas are affected too. These also shift to line up with the DOS grid if you haven't placed them at multiples of 4, which actually means you can place a steel area up to -3 in the y-coordinate and rather than disappearing off the bottom, it will reset back to 0 when you open the level.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 03:49:01 AM »
Just as I thought. That happened to me a bunch of times when making maps in Lemedit, and since it hasn't a validate button I had some terrible times trying to figure out why the levels crashed :P I finally came up with the conclusion that custlemm doesn't like negative coordinates (only in the objects if I'm not wrong?).

If I recall correctly, SPLAT! (level 9?) is the only one made in LemEdit.  The editor half of Lemmix works, so I'm going to do some testing...  plus I do have a virtual machine as well.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »
Important question: How many levels are you planning to put down? because I have 150 of my levels which I can't wait to submit.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 01:19:54 AM »
 :o

150 levels takes care of all but 10 of the levels supported by Lemrmake!  It may be possible to add support for many more levels, though.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 05:20:36 AM »
Important question: How many levels are you planning to put down? because I have 150 of my levels which I can't wait to submit.

I hope you're not planning to take up the whole fangame with your own levels. We need some balance, after all :P

I've finally started working through my levels to improve them so they can be added to this project. I'm starting with my most recent pack, which shouldn't take too long to fix.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »
I wonder how many users are going to select their levels then. Bear in mind I do prefer some levels to be modified and made easier (Like the late Fun levels and the early Tricky ones).

I also want different music as well! Actually, I'll do the music thing myself if I can do it. :)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2009, 03:52:39 AM »
I have idea so we can play the number of levels by ear...  I'm going to post a topic about DOS Lemmings EXE modifications help.

minimac94, please stare at some ASCII art!

Code: [Select]
B       G
  L   R   !    !
    A        !

Nope, no new music.  I may combine the soundtracks from OhNo! and the original games together, though.  However, feel free to submit something, because if it's really really good I will reconsider.  The format must be what the original lemmings game uses, though.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 06:43:38 AM »
I have idea so we can play the number of levels by ear...
minimac94, please stare at some ASCII art!

Code: [Select]
B       G
  L   R   !    !
    A        !

ASCII art? ??? Do you know what that is? And why have you given me the code for "BLARG!!!"?

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 07:44:07 PM »
Yeah, I know what ASCII art is.

By the way, I don't know how many levels the fangame will have yet.  Submit as many as you want.  Just remember, just because they have been submitted doesn't mean they will be used!

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 09:03:41 AM »
I know that this works on Lemmini. I also want levels with more than 4 entrances! I once had a level pack (which I deleted because it wasn't popular enough).

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2009, 05:13:14 AM »
I know that this works on Lemmini. I also want levels with more than 4 entrances! I once had a level pack (which I deleted because it wasn't popular enough).

What is "this" that "also works on Lemmini?"

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2009, 07:05:33 AM »
On Lemmini I tested one of my created levels with more than 4 entrances and it worked well. Lemmix I'm not sure about. I have a look.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
I know the 5th (and above) trapdoors don't work in Lemmix. The first version of Dullstar's pack epic01 contained a level (which was removed before you joined the forums) with 5 trapdoors, and one of those did nothing.

I once had a level pack (which I deleted because it wasn't popular enough).
And... what about it?

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »
I know the 5th (and above) trapdoors don't work in Lemmix.

Same goes for Custom Lemmings and all DOS Lemmings executables.

There is a very small chance that I might be able to hack DOS Lemmings to make it support more than 4 entrances.  On the other hand, I can think of at least two interesting uses for entrance trapdoors that don't do anything, even if there are currently no custom levels out there making such uses.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009, 11:55:43 PM »
Do we really need a level with so many trapdoors?  By the way, in case minimac94 or anyone else is interested, this is the level that used to be in Epic01, Quintuple Trouble.

Yep, still have the file laying around.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009, 01:57:15 AM »
You never know where it could come in handy. It took a bit of clever thinking to adapt "Interlocked" to only use four trapdoors when remaking it, for example.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 06:55:28 AM »
Do we really need a level with so many trapdoors?  By the way, in case minimac94 or anyone else is interested, this is the level that used to be in Epic01, Quintuple Trouble.

This level only works on Lemmini. It can do more than 4 entrances and I've got Lemmini, so I might be able to play it...

Recent Edit: It can be played on L++ too.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »
It wasn't really a great level anyways.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »
I should point something out...  since the level submission thread isn't doing well, submit stuff here...  I have asked Adam if he is able to merge topics via PM.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2009, 06:09:41 PM »
I should point something out...  since the level submission thread isn't doing well, submit stuff here...  I have asked Adam if he is able to merge topics via PM.

I submitted a levelpack in that thread looong time ago. You never said a word about it :(

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »
Oh yeah.  Wasn't it because it kept crashing my computer or something?  I'll redownload the pack and use Lemmix to check for errors.

Level 1:
Errors found
Object 13: ObjectX is not a multiply of 8
I'm working on a fixed version of your pack, though, and have corrected the first two levels.

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2009, 02:25:07 AM »
Woah, this thread made it to the third page!  I'm going to place all my levels I made for the fangame (but haven't yet released) into a pack, and that will be my last pack made just for this fangame.  That's not to say I won't contribute any more levels.

Download Epic03 - http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=140

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 03:34:09 AM »
I noticed that there's less interest in this stuff.  Would any of our level developers be happy to submit (THROUGH THIS TOPIC, NOT THE SUBMISSIONS THREAD)?  I noticed Giga's been submitting ideas in the Lemmings Plus Thread, but they aren't welcome there.  But, they ARE welcome here, Giga, submit your ideas away. ;)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
I have an idea mutiplayer
epic mutiplayer 2-8 players
classic 2 player levels
now in four player mode

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 02:24:17 AM »
Multiplayer could be a good idea, I guess we'll have to see where we can go with that.  I've wanted to do multiplayer lemmings for a while.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2009, 11:13:11 PM »
Ahoy ye mateys
rr:55
 :):15
save:11(78%)
|1|0|2|2|8|2|1|1|
good: a great ship design
bad: its troublesome to beat

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2009, 01:32:36 AM »
Hey dull star i've uploded my second level pack Epic Giga 01
check it out http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=151

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2009, 01:44:22 AM »
Hey, these levels look pretty good! :thumbsup: I haven't played them yet, but I will do that sometime.

Just one thing - I couldn't help noticing that one of these levels has the same title as one of mine (Nothing to lose). I don't mind, so there's no need for you to rename it. :)

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2009, 04:10:27 AM »

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 05:34:13 AM »
Woah, looks like I'm gonna have a lot of levels to play next time I boot into Windows (but only because setting up a seperate CustLemm directory for every pack gets bothersome, making Lemmix so much better).

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2009, 01:42:56 AM »
Here's Epic giga 03 aka Strike giga 01
for your fangame
http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=154
Btw look at level 09 of the level pack

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2009, 08:04:43 AM »
Level 9? Wow. Never before have I seen such a unique and original level. Seriously, I've never seen ANYTHING even slightly like that before!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)