Author Topic: [Suggestion] Finite Lemmings  (Read 1945 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Finite Lemmings
« on: March 25, 2021, 10:51:53 PM »
I thought of this a while ago but here's the idea

-You have a lemming with a number over their head, that number goes down the moment you assign a skill to them.

-If the number reaches zero, the number disappears and they become a neutral lemming. (they also become neutral if they become a zombie)

-In editor you can assign them any number to decide how many tasks are they allowed to preform, finite entrances can have all lemmings that come out have a number on them.

Examples
-An entrance full of 1 skill lemmings being a retooling of the "1 Skill per Lemming" Gimmick
-Having Preplaced Finite Lemmings that'll determine the path of using the lemmings and where
-Levels ending up with all the lemmings becoming neutrals once solved

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Finite Lemmings
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 11:20:30 PM »
Nice idea! :thumbsup:

If nothing else, it makes interesting use of the countdown number graphics :crylaugh:

If the number reaches zero, the number disappears and they become a neutral lemming. (they also become neutral if they become a zombie)

I like this, but I think it could also work if the lemming simply dies or even explodes (leaving a crater).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:24:34 AM by WillLem »

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:08:36 AM »
I fully approve of this suggestion
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
The "limited skill assign" aspect of the idea may be difficult/messy to represent visually if there is already a number above the lem's head (but not impossible).

Also, having slept on it, I'd prefer the lem to explode rather than become a neutral. Reasoning: it acts like a finite game timer for just 1 lem, which is an interesting concept, plus the fact that it leaves a crater means it's potentially useful as a destructive lem, which could form part of the solution. Finally, 'countdown timer above head' is synonymous with exploding in Lemmings, although this is a weaker reason; new behaviour (i.e. becoming a neutral rather than exploding) is easy to learn.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 07:50:28 PM »
I don't object to this idea, and it certainly offers more design possibilities than just the 1-skill-per-lemming gimmick did on its own (because that possibility is nested within the potential of finite lemmings).

I'm just not sure if the overall design potential is large enough to introduce this as a new feature just shortly before we might be getting a final version of NeoLemmix?

I don't know how many more versions we'll have after the next one that introduces the Slider and Laser Blaster, but once the final skills are available, it will feel to me like we're already beyond the last "hurdle", meaning that any version after that could be the final one.

Unless namida has changed his plans and I'm just not aware of it ;) .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 08:50:07 PM »
The "limited skill assign" aspect of the idea may be difficult/messy to represent visually if there is already a number above the lem's head (but not impossible).

Also, having slept on it, I'd prefer the lem to explode rather than become a neutral. Reasoning: it acts like a finite game timer for just 1 lem, which is an interesting concept, plus the fact that it leaves a crater means it's potentially useful as a destructive lem, which could form part of the solution. Finally, 'countdown timer above head' is synonymous with exploding in Lemmings, although this is a weaker reason; new behaviour (i.e. becoming a neutral rather than exploding) is easy to learn.

I understand that reasoning, but the reason for becoming a neutral is to allow saving that lemming, if the lemmings blows up, it feels rather empty and unnecessarily punishing. maybe using a different number that'll separate it from the bomber's number. Like using the skill number instead of the timer number, or for the timer number, its the same color as the constructive skill mask.
another thing is the Number disappears if assigned Bomber, Stoner, or nuke is pressed (replacing the skill number with the bomber number)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 07:04:56 PM »
Preparing to come back into this topic, I had the same thought that Strato hinted at - that this is getting too much into "completely new feature" territory at this time. So I'm going to close this down, not due to it being a bad idea, but under the "no, it's time to be wrapping things up, and this is too big a feature to add to the plans at this stage" logic instead.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)