Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Save-'em-up Contest #2 (Open Choice)  (Read 9813 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [NeoLemmix] Save-'em-up Contest #2 (Open Choice)
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 05:22:21 AM »
I think I'm might withdraw because the levels that people are picking are too hard for me so there's not much point if I can't even complete the levels

Don't forget that you'd be playing them with a far more open skillset than usual.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 05:36:03 AM »
oh yeah didnt think of that some of the levels would be easier with more skills i guess ill wait and see

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 12:17:14 AM »
I'd like to enter,  these are my entries:

AuthorPackRank#Level
???Oh No! More Lemmings!Wicked1LeMming ToMato KetchUp fAcilitY
???LemmingsFun11Keep your hair on Mr. Lemming
???LemmingsFun13We all fall down
???LemmingsFun10Smile if you love Lemmings

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2021, 06:47:48 PM »
Entries are now closed. I'll put the list of entrants / nominated levels up on the first post later today, in the meantime, feel free to start picking your skillsets (PM them to me).

Note that the criteria required when choosing your skillset is much more flexible than the first contest. It's still "8 total skills", but instead of having a rough outline with only a little bit of flexibility, you have near-total choice over which skills this time. The only restriction is that you may only have a maximum of four (but you may have less) of the skills on this list: Platformer, Builder, Stacker, Basher, Fencer, Miner, Digger.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 06:40:09 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2021, 07:17:28 PM »
I'll put the list of entrants / nominated levels up on the first topic later today

Do you mean the first post of this topic? Just to clarify that you don't mean the Contest #1 topic, for some reason.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »
^ Yes, that is what I meant; and it's now added.

I notice - far too late - that not only did I ultimately overlook including a "custom levels only" criteria, there wasn't even any rule against duplicates from the first contest (which to be fair, would not have been a concern if the "custom levels only" was not overlooked) - so one level that was also in the first contest ended up sneaking in. Here's hoping the RNG takes care of that.

One thing that I will state though: Make sure you get your copies of levels for the contest (when it's time) from THIS topic. There will be no consideration given in a situation where someone's replay fails because they used the wrong version of a level.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2021, 07:43:45 PM »
I notice - far too late - that not only did I ultimately overlook including a "custom levels only" criteria, there wasn't even any rule against duplicates from the first contest (which to be fair, would not have been a concern if the "custom levels only" was not overlooked) - so one level that was also in the first contest ended up sneaking in. Here's hoping the RNG takes care of that.

I see two duplicates from the first contest, actually -- "Keep your hair on, Mr Lemming" and "Lemming Tomato Ketchup Facility".

The probability is 33/248 that neither one is selected.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 02:03:52 PM »
If I can I'd like to enter to play, without nominating any levels.

Should I send my skill selection to namida now?

-----

question: must we keep track of how many skills we've used per level by ourselves? So like if I used 5 builders on the first levels, when I go to the next, I must just pretend 5 skills are gone for that level etc.?
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2021, 05:25:32 PM »
question: must we keep track of how many skills we've used per level by ourselves? So like if I used 5 builders on the first levels, when I go to the next, I must just pretend 5 skills are gone for that level etc.?

It's entirely up to you how you do this. I found it useful to give every level infinity of each skill, and then use the records feature (in the F2 menu) to track how many skills I'd used each time. The only problem with this is that the records stop counting skills after the save requirement has been met, so you do have to keep that in mind.

I also had a spreadsheet open whilst I was playing, and I added the skills used to that spreadsheet so that I had something to cross-reference the scores with.

In the end, there was only 1 error in my results, and it was most likely due to me forgetting to add a skill to the spreadsheet in the same instance that it wasn't counted by NL's record-keeping feature.

I have also suggested that there be a way of tracking "skills used" in-level, perhaps by hitting a hotkey to toggle the panel view to show what's been used rather than how many are remaining. I think that since this contest has taken off and become popular, this feature would now be more relevant than ever.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 05:52:53 PM »
I'm going to have to cancel or at least postpone this, since I'm just not in the right mindspace to manage it lately.

If someone else wants to take over hosting this one, go ahead, otherwise I guess we'll put it on hold for now and could possibly revive it later.

If/when it does go ahead, any third or later one will not be open-choice. Dealing with multiple packs is too much hassle.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2021, 08:55:01 PM »
I can take over hosting if it's okay with you. If it helps, I'll gather the nominated levels and music as well.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline mantha16

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2021, 10:08:33 PM »
Also namida let us know if there's anything we can do to help in any way

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 10:44:25 PM »
We love you, namida. Hope you're OK!

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 04:09:50 PM »
I hope you feel better soon namida,
and I'm fine with pooty taking over, especially since they won last time

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 05:24:06 PM »
I can take over hosting if it's okay with you. If it helps, I'll gather the nominated levels and music as well.

Sure, feel free.
My Lemmings projects