Author Topic: [SUG][PLAYER] Notify user if a pack recommends playing in high-res  (Read 3847 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [SUG][PLAYER] Notify user if a pack recommends playing in high-res
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 12:29:10 AM »
I do love your posts, Strato :lemcat:

You can write a recommendation for high-res mode in the opening post of the thread in which you upload your pack. :P That's it.

You could also do a pre-screen on the first level. In fact, that's almost certainly the best way to do it because it can simply be breezed past if the player wants to ignore it, and it doesn't have the jarring "huh? what's this??" factor of a more-official-looking popup window. That being the case, I retract any suggestions of popups/recommendations beyond the levelpack's OP and what's already possible via preview screens.

The player is your "customer"... You can't make any decisions on how they should enjoy your "product".

You can, to some extent. For example, if you want to play Super Mario Odyssey, you need a Nintendo Switch, which is one of Nintendo's least-customisable products to date, and that's saying something!

However, I understand the sentiment behind what you're saying. Someone may need a Switch to play Odyssey but Nintendo can't tell the player not to play it in the back garden whilst covered in raspberry jam!

Instead, the fact that new backroutes constantly pop up demonstrates that NeoLemmix is much closer to "death of the author" than to "authorial intent"
The author simply no longer has any influence on it

I get that. There is a certain amount of "well, it doesn't belong to me anymore" when you release a creative product. It's subject to all kinds of criticism, adulation, analysis, imitation, and any other way that such things can be responded to by a mass audience.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

Amen, brother. If only.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2020, 12:32:19 AM »
I retract any suggestions of popups/recommendations beyond the levelpack's OP and what's already possible via preview screens

It may be worth putting this suggestion to a poll, but I'm happy to consider it closed if there's no further interest in the idea. Preview screens strike me as a much better way to get around this one from a creator's POV - they're much less intrusive and jarring than popup windows.

Maybe leave the topic open to give Dullstar and Strato a chance to respond to posts addressed to them.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2020, 09:57:28 AM »
Yes, why not, preview screens are a nice additional hint! ;) Although I can imagine a lot of players simply clicking it away or, even if they've read it, not wanting to go back to the menu screen once they've already started playing the pack. Or at least not until the next playing session, when they have to go through the menu screen again. :P
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 03:40:08 AM »
Okay, it looks like the person interested in this has found a satisfactory solution using existing features, so I see no need to go ahead with this.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)