Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Open Air [Difficulty: Medium - Hard]  (Read 36093 times)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Open Air [Difficulty: Medium - Hard]
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2020, 09:03:57 PM »
Indeed, when I pre-tested the pack, I struggled for a good 10 minutes with Soft 7 and thought this level is a huge step up in difficulty and definitely will be for less experienced players. The first part wasn't the problem, but the second part I thought was difficult, but that's likely because I ended up inflicting a lot of extreme pixel precision.

You can do this! Just don't give up.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2020, 09:10:59 PM »
Ok, I solved 7, this one was just a matter of timing. I didn't even notice your hints until I solved it. I just knew it was a timing one.

Anyways here is my replay for soft 7

Yes the first part was easy, the 2nd part was tricky to get the lead lemming far enough away from the pack like Strato said

EDIT: Oh, I forgot my soft 6, here it is then

UPDATE: Ok I solved it without timing, but builder mechanics. included this replay too
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:29:09 AM by ericderkovits »

Offline WouterSmits

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2020, 09:20:09 PM »
thanks eric
thanks to you i understanted

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »
Little to no timing is needed for Soft 7. All that's needed is knowledge of builder mechanics, especially since it's a builders only level. Now I'm curious about Soft 8 and 9. The former should be obvious, but admittedly it's annoying to execute. On the other hand, the latter was a roadblock for me, and I apparently ended up solving it differently from Strato's. Not pulling any punches at all, am I right? This pack is definitely not for beginners!

In any case, let's wait until there are close to a complete or a full rank of replays before posting, as the last several posts have been nothing but 1-3 replays at a time. Also, don't be afraid to struggle with the pack. As Strato and I have already warned, it's not an easy pack at all.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2020, 11:16:59 PM »
ok, level 8 here.

This level reminds me of Queztalings in Framlems. The precision is just too high. Although the solution is easy. Everything had to be in the exact spots.

Anyways here is my level 8 solution replay.

Ok, and from this level on I will post when and if I complete the rank.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2020, 11:34:32 PM »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 02:10:00 AM »
Okay, taking a look at this.

Feedback for Soft 1 to 10 (click to show/hide)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 02:27:44 AM »
@namida - Yes, thank you for doing this! Several levels and replays, instead of just 1 or a few at a time over and over like the last several posts :P Regarding your feedback, 100% agree with almost all of it, especially Soft 7 and Soft 8.

update: Ok, I just watched your Soft 9 replay and I definitely like your solution far better than mine. I overcomplicated it and even did something fancy with a fencer assignment and taught Strato something :crylaugh:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 02:35:16 AM by kaywhyn »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2020, 10:24:58 AM »
ok here are my soft 1-11 replays. currently stuck on 12.

Soft 10 I managed to solve without using the glider

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2020, 04:14:14 PM »
Responses to ericderkovits (click to show/hide)

Okay, taking a look at this.

... and the grand master himself is here! Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this, namida! :thumbsup:

Responses to namida (click to show/hide)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2020, 10:33:06 PM »
Is there a way to turn that rain effect off? Turning off background images doesn't turn it off. I find the levels with this on actually unplayable, even looking at it for half a minute was enough to give me a mild headache.
I'm finding this fun otherwise though!

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2020, 11:34:21 PM »
The fact that you're asking about rain objects gives me an idea of how far you've already progressed into the pack... ;) I can't say I'm surprised though, that you got this far so quickly - given that the pack you were working on, Lemmings Evolution, was also expected to be one of the most difficult ones out there.

If the rain is distracting you or actively causing you health issues (do we need an epilepsy warning on levels featuring certain objects now? :D ) - well, you could always open the level file and delete all instances of the rain object... either in the text file or by opening it in the editor. ;)

I know it's a bit of a hassle, but that's one of the great advantages about the New Formats, with the loose levels files being the same ones that are actually being used in the game. No more "loose level file first, then compiled into a pack" etc. You could change anything you want about a level before you play it: Sprites, background, music...

Of course, that also allows to modify a level to make it easier to play, but I think everyone here on the forums understands that they're just fooling themselves if they "cheat" that way :D .

Assuming that you'll want to modify the level files, which are ordered in the folders alphabetically by name, not by rank and level number, I'm just giving you the titles of the levels that contain rain objects, so that you can edit them all in one swoop:

Levels with precipitation ;D (click to show/hide)

I'm finding this fun otherwise though!

Thanks a lot, great to hear! :thumbsup:
My packs so far:

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »
It's not a serious health issue I just get headaches easily :P

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 11:40:07 PM »
^ It would be far less effort to just blank out the PNG file of the rain object. ;)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2020, 11:48:27 PM »
Little did namida know that I have actually used several different rain objects in different colours... :P

Guess what, on a level called "Red rain", the rain will be... red. That's part of my strato_generalmd tileset. And Lemmings World Tour had "Purple rain", for eponymous reasons. ;)

And for the regular rain, I sometimes used the one from Arty's new special tileset, sometimes his older version of the standard rain object, which I had integrated into my strato_generalmd tileset. The reason for that is that the new rain is more transparent, but also more "shaky", which actually makes it more distracting to me sometimes than the old version of the rain object with full opacity.

So Gronkling would have to blank all rain objects in his styles folders. They should only be in arty_special and strato_generalmd at this point... however, I remember that for a while, the rain object had been moved to namida's Sky tileset. I don't think it's there anymore, though. I think I recall that I had to change those references in the level files after an update.
My packs so far: