Author Topic: Level Design Contest #20 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 23318 times)

Offline JRT

• View Profile
Re: Level Design Contest #20 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2020, 11:28:31 PM »
I attach my replay for V4 for All in Good Timing.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2020, 11:37:49 PM »
Solved more, but really need a break now. ;P

Just 2 levels remain to be solved: Armani's R2 and DireKrow's R3. Would like to know if an attempt that failed by a pixel in Armani's R2 was close/intended.

Rule 2 vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvbeeTiA-kg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25JWLlDfBWk

Rule 3 vids:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuG_RXTymaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v9VcTUyluc

Replay collection attached.

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2020, 01:17:04 AM »
Icho's "Shoestring Operation" solution is the intended one. Their solution to "Traipsing About Tombs" is the same as Armani's, so an intended alternate solution.

"Cheating at Sports" turned out to be pretty hard. If anyone's stuck on it, no worries! Here is hints for anyone that wants them:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also attached the replays for anyone who has given up or just wants to watch the first few seconds for a hint on how to start. There's one for the V1 and V2 versions of the level, but it's the same solution.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:15:01 AM by DireKrow »
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2020, 03:59:55 AM »
I'm too ashamed.  I don't want to do this any more.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2020, 04:26:01 AM »
And here are bunch of replays for rule3 levels!

Worng-side Failure
I felt like this is very close to intended. Nice puzzle with clever use of the skills combination!
Get some rest and I hope you feel better soon Crane.

Cheating At Sports
It was another impressive level by you. :thumbsup: But I think I got a completely disjoint solution, so you need to fix it. ;P Another replay I attached has some interactions between the sections so it may be more close to intended I guess.

Switcheroo
It seemed easy at first but I failed several time because I was always 1 platformer short. And I finally found a way to save a platformer at the very beginning so solved the level. I very enjoyed it and like the concept of the level. :thumbsup:
Would like to know if an attempt that failed by a pixel in Armani's R2 was close/intended.
I saw your vid solving my level. And I can assure you the level is solvable and doesn't require any frame-precise or pixcel-precise things.
But I have to admit that there are some things that are impossible but look like they could work if they are optimized well which can confuse player. So I will make an update soon. And interestingly, one of your attempt is although not intended and bypass core trick, used every skill in same position as the intended solution. The difference is order of the skill and the lemmings who perform the skills.

One Thing At A Time
As Crane already mentioned, this level definitely requires frame stepping and I even needed replay edit mode.

The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Nice looking level with good music which I like. The only complain by me is that it was a little bit hard to tell which is terrain and which is empty space. So I had to use CPM often. Other than that, I like the level overall.

All in Good Timing
I have some leftover skills. Not sure this is intended.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:59:26 AM by Armani »
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2020, 04:43:02 AM »
Oh and I didn't notice that the new level was added.
I like the clever use of the shimmiers and stackers.
Not sure if double stackers over the exit is intended or not but seems at least acceptable for me ;)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline DireKrow

• Noisy Crow
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2020, 04:58:02 AM »
Cheating At Sports
It was another impressive level by you. :thumbsup: But I think I got a completely disjoint solution, so you need to fix it. ;P Another replay I attached has some interactions between the sections so it may be more close to intended I guess.

2nd replay is the intended solution! The 1st replay is a backroute and violates the level rule, so I definitely need to fix that. Fortunately it's an easy fix, though it does make the intended solution a little more obvious. But considering the level's difficulty, that might not be a bad thing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:15:20 AM by DireKrow »
LOTY 2020 Winner
My NeoLemmix Levels: The Krow Files (File A v1.2 released 21-Feb-2020)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2020, 05:40:35 AM »
I watched Icho's video for my R2 level. It's definitely a backroute, and he certainly did some very interesting things with stackers, miners, and I think I saw a shimmier in there, too? In any case, it's played on the v1 version, but his backroute should in theory also be functional in v2 (I didn't attempt to run it on v2 to confirm, however). It's a different backroute than Armani's, but uses a similar tactic to get the crowd down from the entrance area. While I wasn't specifically targeting this backroute when I made v3, I expect the changes I made in v3 should be sufficient to patch this one.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:50:12 AM by Dullstar »

Offline JRT

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »
Nice one Armarni, it looks like you found the other solution to One Thing at a Time.

Indeed, the use of frame stepping is key to the level.

Watching the replays back is amusing.

I attach my replay for V5 of All in Good Timing.

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2020, 12:23:50 PM »
I attach my replay for V5 of All in Good Timing.

Not intended, but a very nice (and acceptable alternative) solution that requires good timing too. :thumbsup:

I attached my intended solution for this level.
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline JRT

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
Haha, cheers! I might try and find your intended solution before having a gander at your replay.

I like the level. Have you had a crack at my Rule 3?

I attach my second replay for V5.

Ahh I tried something like the start your intended solution but missed the possibility of the pool build!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:42:36 PM by JRT »

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2020, 01:43:16 PM »
Both Armani and Icho got the intended solution for Lemmy Watch The Stars! I genuinely thought the level would be a challenge even for these guys. As impressed as I am however, these two are probs the best solvers on here so I can't say I'm surprised. ;P

@Armani - yours had a slight variation at the end, but it's more than acceptable as you solved all the main puzzle elements of the level and used all the skills. 8-)

@Icho - seeing you get it on the first attempt was quite something! :thumbsup: I like the fact that you took a look at the level for a few seconds, and then said "let's just go for it..." and then proceeded to solve it exactly as intended! :crylaugh:

These are a solid set of levels by the looks of things! I haven't had a look at any replays and I only watched Icho solving my level, so I'll have a go at them over the next few days and see if I can solve any of them! Might even do an LP of my own, actually...

EDIT: I have filmed an LP for Rule 1 now. :lemcat:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:49:35 PM by WillLem »

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2020, 02:52:27 PM »
Haha, cheers! I might try and find your intended solution before having a gander at your replay.

I like the level. Have you had a crack at my Rule 3?

I did, but I gave up after a while and watched a replay. Very creative level! (But I'm not a very good level solver. I prefer creating levels. ;))

I attach my second replay for V5.

Ahh I tried something like the start your intended solution but missed the possibility of the pool build!

But again, a nice alternative "good timing" solution.
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2020, 03:10:14 PM »
Had a little session today and resolved/solved everything except Armani's R1 and R2. R1 is having me missing 1 skill regardless of it's type where R2 is having me missing pixels. ;P Those will need an extra session it seems.

DireKrow's R3 was pretty impressive and I think I finally found the intentional solution. :thumbsup:

I attached my replay collection. :)

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 03:12:55 PM »
@IchoTolot haha nice backroute :D I'll have to think about this one for a bit before V4