Author Topic: Level Design Contest #19 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)  (Read 17005 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Level Design Contest #19 - Playing Phase (Discussion Topic)
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2020, 05:47:47 PM »
If including this replay is against the rules, then you can consider the level withdrawn.

It would be against the rules to post this during the voting phase (unless your level had already been eliminated at the time) as it would count as "discussing the level on the forums", but posting it at any time during the playing phase - including between updates closing and the playing phase ending - I would think is fine?

Quote from: Armani
Reach-around
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Intended solution. :)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2020, 05:56:04 PM »
  If including this replay is against the rules, then you can consider the level withdrawn.

It would be against the rules to post this during the voting phase (unless your level had already been eliminated at the time) as it would count as "discussing the level on the forums", but posting it at any time during the playing phase - including between updates closing and the playing phase ending - I would think is fine?

This is of course totally ok! Everybody can post as many replays as they want.

Only during the voting it's restricted.

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2020, 06:46:10 PM »
If anyone wants to take a stab at fixing it, I've included a replay of the intended solution.

Intended solution is quite cool :thumbsup:
I think you gave too many constructive skills and they are being abused for backroutes.
So, here's my opinion on how to block such backroutes
1) -1 platformer and +1 cloner for compensate. Move steels to the right.
This way, the glider is stuck in infinite loop so the floater don't have to platform over the exit. He can just fall and climb to the right.
After the floater climb to the right, you can clone the glider and bash the one way arrow wall.

2) -1 builder and +1 cloner for compensate.
On your solution, two builders on the right side of the map can be replaced by one builder+cloner

So in conclusion..

I attached level file and my solution replay for it.
Hope this will at least help you improve your level. :D
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
This solution any better for "Who you gonna call? Knuckles the Echidna!"?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2020, 10:03:50 PM »
Alright, played through the regular level today and I must say I had a lot of fun! :thumbsup:

I attached my replays and starting tomorrow my playthrough videos will start to pop up as well. There will be 4 videos for now.

The withdrawn level will be bundled together when I show of the solutions to my own levels. :)

I have high hopes that I finally found the intended solution to Flopsy's R3 level though! That one also took the longest to solve this time. ;) 

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2020, 06:43:37 AM »
Your solution to Supernova is 100% intended. Great job :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And I uploaded fixed version to my rule 3 level. :(
I want to enforce player to let a single normal lemming go down to get pickup skill and double back to release the neutrals.
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline NieSch

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »
@IchoTolot: your solutions to both my levels are intended. :)
My NeoLemmix packs: All You Need Is Lemmings - Long Live Lemmings! - Yippee! More Lemmings
SuperLemmix: Tomb Rodents featuring Lemmina Croft

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »
Resolved Crane's levels. :)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2020, 07:56:39 PM »
Ugh, I'm going to have to think about the fixes more carefully.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2020, 12:04:42 AM »
I attached my replays and starting tomorrow my playthrough videos will start to pop up as well. There will be 4 videos for now.

Intended solution on Reach-Around.

My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2020, 06:43:21 PM »
Resolved Dullstar's level. :)

Offline SQron188

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2020, 08:32:49 PM »
In the meantime, here are my current solutions to a load of miscellaneous level.  Some look like backroutes.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2020, 11:51:17 AM »
I can now confirm that IchoTolot has indeed back routed my R3 level, still no intended solve of this level throughout this contest.
Apologies for the delay but the part 4 video showing the solution only came up today.

While I take on board the opinions about the SFX in that level, I could quieten the sounds slightly, I'm not going to change them.

Just a reminder that I will be streaming the contest levels this Sunday at 7pm UTC on YouTube.
I am completely blind to the other contest levels except my own, I have merely glanced at them and not attempted to solve them.

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2020, 01:49:10 PM »
Resolved Flopsy's level. :)

About loud SFX:

When solving I am usually "inside my flow" and if suddenly a new unexpected loud noise appreas (may it be a hidden trap or in this case a custom exit unlock sound), it comes close to a jumpscare to me. So let's say I am an easy target to throw off in this regard as suddenly breaking my train of thought makes me jump.
You may call me easily scared and you're totally correct.   
In fact my roomate wanted to ask a question at some point while I was programming with music on my ears and I just got totally scared when he suddenly tapped my shoulder. :XD:

So, I don't dislike the ghostbusters theme, it's just any louder unexpected noise while I am thinking just totally catches me offguard. :P

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2020, 02:41:13 PM »
Resolved Flopsy's level. :)

About loud SFX:

When solving I am usually "inside my flow" and if suddenly a new unexpected loud noise appreas (may it be a hidden trap or in this case a custom exit unlock sound), it comes close to a jumpscare to me. So let's say I am an easy target to throw off in this regard as suddenly breaking my train of thought makes me jump.
You may call me easily scared and you're totally correct.   
In fact my roomate wanted to ask a question at some point while I was programming with music on my ears and I just got totally scared when he suddenly tapped my shoulder. :XD:

So, I don't dislike the ghostbusters theme, it's just any louder unexpected noise while I am thinking just totally catches me offguard. :P

It sounds like based on what you have said that you may have back routed the level again but I'll be able to confirm later tonight.

I know you probably weren't against the concept of the SFX in my R3 level, I'm trying to take what people say with a pinch of salt now.
I was rather proud of this R3 level when I made it because the theming all fit together. Because knuckles glides in Sonic, it fit the contest rule. The ghost busters theme came about by accident and it was because I didn't think the Sandopolis buttons didn't really fit the purpose.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback really, they are too loud.