Author Topic: Things supported by the player but not by the editor  (Read 99 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• He who usually only makes it up to rank two
  • Your graphic-set conversion cleanup service ;)
    • View Profile
Things supported by the player but not by the editor
« on: June 10, 2019, 05:45:40 pm »
So, I used to think that rotated or flipped exits had been removed from New Formats NeoLemmix, but in the form of converted Old Formats levels, they can actually still exist.

Just like with moving background objects, it seems like the player does still support it, only the editor doesn't (yet).

I know that re-adding support for moving objects is planned, what about rotated / flipped exits? ;)

Because long term, I think everyone's goal is that anything supported by the NeoLemmix player is also supported by the editor, and vice versa.
Ghost Lemmings - help us test a possible new NeoLemmix skill!
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour, my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Paralems, a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems, a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Things supported by the player but not by the editor
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 09:41:24 pm »
There's two ways you could look at this - either (a) it's arbitrary that the editor disallows this on certain objects, and it should allow it; or (b) that NeoLemmix only allows this because the object code, in general, supports it for any object where it isn't actively prevented, and the editor is showing what's intentionally supported (rather than just "this can be done as a side effect of how things work in general").

Neither of these has been decided to be the "official" stance. I do agree the two should be brought into line, and one argument in favor of "make the editor support everything" is that one could still achieve the same effect, just in a more complex way, by creating a new piece that represents the flipped / inverted / etc exit (or whatever other object) and using that instead - I used much the same thing to get around the removal of invisible objects, when I had a level that needed them for a special effect (a handdrawn level, where the objects too were hand-drawn onto the layout). However, I don't feel super strongly about this, and would be open to either approach.
My released level packs:
Lemmings Plus Series | Doomsday Lemmings

Offline Strato Incendus

• He who usually only makes it up to rank two
  • Your graphic-set conversion cleanup service ;)
    • View Profile
Re: Things supported by the player but not by the editor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 09:53:36 pm »
Well, for me it was helpful that the player still supported it! :)

One major reason is my guitar exit from the Instruments tileset, which, in contrast to most other exit, doesn't really have a preferred orientation, it works in both vertical and horizontal directions. So being able to rotate, flip, and invert exits would really be helpful to have this massive exit fit into the level landscape nicely.

Another thing was my level "Surfin' bird", where I used your Mineshaft exit as an owl's head by inverting it. The optical illusion would have gone lost completely without inverted-exit support.

Also, sometimes I like to have Lemmings climb out of the ground, or out of a "box", by inverting a hatch. The barrel-shaped hatch from the Highland tileset also works well when it's lying on the side, like an actual barrel could do as well.

So yeah, naturally, I'd be on the side of re-adding support for inverted, flipped, and rotated objects of all kind to the editor! :thumbsup: Especially given that it already works in the player anyway, so it would really only be the editor that needed some work. The buttons are all there already, and all this can be typed into a level file manually anyway - it's just more user-friendly to have it inside the editor itself.
Ghost Lemmings - help us test a possible new NeoLemmix skill!
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour, my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Paralems, a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems, a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels