Author Topic: Lemmings Open Air [120/120 levels completed - now released!]  (Read 15747 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmings Open Air [75/120 levels completed]
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 01:47:24 PM »
I solved rank1,3,4 of the pack.  As I can use computer for very limited time, I skipped rank2. I will finished rank2 someday :(
Here are my comments on individual levels! :)

For the levels I think are backroutes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the other levels

I really enjoyed it overall. I recommend this pack to those who
  want to know how the shimmier can be used creatively in so many ways!
  want not only the levels that contains clever skills and tricks but also beautiful looking levels!
  want to play levels with amazing custom tilesets!
I hope my comments will help you to improve this pack ;)
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 04:39:40 PM »
Wow, what a nice surprise! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot for playing, Armani, and for taking the time to write such a detailed (and also positive) review!

Usually my packs don't receive this level of attention prior to official release. I don't have the opportunity to watch your replays right now, so I'll respond to your comments first and address your replays in a second response once I've watched them all. ;)

And now, finally, to your "openly visible" comments:

I really enjoyed it overall. I recommend this pack to those who

First of all, thank you for recommending this pack already at this early stage! :thumbsup: That might actually allow me to test this pack "in the field" more easily than previous ones, i.e. finding testers through this thread ahead of release, rather than picking them individually via PM.

want to know how the shimmier can be used creatively in so many ways!

Mission accomplished! :thumbsup: Indeed I wanted to make the mere presence of the Shimmier the main selling point of this pack, in direct comparison to Lemmings World Tour, at least.

At the same time, this also tells me I have to create quite a few more levels specifically not using the Shimmier so that it doesn't become over-represented. I did make quite a few in the early phase of development, before the Shimmier had actually been introduced. But I was just coming off of the release of Lemmings World Tour at that time, so I wasn't being terribly creative, and still more connected to Old Formats as well.

The temptation of quickly resorting to the Shimmier when imagining a new level at this point is still in its comparatively large, yet unexplored design space - so many new things we can try out with it that haven't appeared in any full-blown packs yet.

Eventually, I want to make the Shimmier in this pack feel as if it had always been part of Lemmings; it should blend with the rest of the skills organically rather than sticking out. But I guess that's difficult, because it's still a novelty at this point, and therefore bound to stick out - if for no other reason that people actively try to remember new Shimmier tricks they learn, so that they can expand their skill knowledge.

want not only the levels that contains clever skills and tricks but also beautiful looking levels!

I'm flattered to hear that! :) I was also somewhat curious whether I could pull it off "again", so to speak. Aesthetics were one of the main selling points of Lemmings World Tour, however, more specifically, it was realistic aesthetics: I tried to depict as many geographic locations in the world as possible in a way as a realistic as possible with level tiles.

Now, in contrast, the level shapes are abstract. So except for the few "landscape" levels, like the two Christmas levels, I don't really know what makes them "pretty". Maybe it's just using a handful of different colours and having them change throughout the landscape successively - avoiding too many monochrome parts, avoiding an overload of too many different colours (the Psychedelic tileset has a habit of doing that ;D ), and avoiding too many awkward shapes of terrain, or too many loose, unconnected terrain pieces.

Basically, any level should look as if it had been taken straight out of original Lemmings - while at the same time using the new skills cleverly, and being much more challenging than original Lemmings. That, at least, is the goal.

want to play levels with amazing custom tilesets!

I guess this mainly refers to my own custom tilesets, so thank you for that! ;)

I think I only used two other custom tilesets: one of the Sonic tilesets by Flopsy, and Raymanni's Food tileset. The latter may eventually be shifted to the Lemmings-3D-inspired pack "Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll" though, I'll have to see.

I still want to make a couple more Money and Autumn levels, indeed - Money has only two at this point, and only one that strictly only consists of pieces from the Money tileset itself. But by now, only Hard Rock and Metal songs are still eligible, given I'm working on the two upper ranks, and I currently don't recall any somewhat-famous Hard Rock or Metal songs referring to either of these topics. ABBA's "Money, money, money" is definitely not heavy enough to qualify for these ranks! :D

Sonata Arctica's "Paid in full" has 17 million views on YouTube, maybe that's famous enough for a Money level on the Heavy rank... :D Probably a mix with the ONML Snow tileset, though, given the band's name, and country of origin...

I hope my comments will help you to improve this pack

I can assure you they already did! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot again for playing, and good luck on the second rank (Loud) whenever you feel like trying it! ;)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 10:55:25 PM »
Alright, then! :) I've watched all your replays, which covered the entire Soft rank as well as all levels that are currently present in the Heavy and Hardcore rank.

Overall, I'm pleased to see the backroute count is comparatively low so far, especially for a pack still in development that has barely received any third-party testing yet. ;) However, as usual, backroutes have a higher share among the levels from the upper ranks, because complexity adds more degrees of freedom. So most likely, the more levels I add to the Heavy and Hardcore ranks, the more backroutes I'm going to create initially.

I'm not only writing down all of the above comments as a response to you, but also a a reminder to myself, as to which specific things I have to fix about which levels - so I'm killing two birds with one stone here. Now I don't have to create a chaos of paper sheets, to keep track of all the notes on how to adapt these levels. Because most likely, I won't get to do that before the weekend.

This however means that the next update will already feature a couple more new levels, as well - so stay tuned for that...! ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:20:22 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 02:54:10 PM »
WOW.. I was really surprised to see your posts. :lem-shocked:
What a long and detailed replies they are :lem-shocked: :lem-shocked:

I'm sorry that I can't give you detailed answer as you did since my English skill is terrible, especially at writing English. :(
(Luckily, I have no problem in reading English, so I understood all your replies)
So, instead, I came here with more replays and reviews :)

I played LOUD rank this time :thumbsup:

Again, I really enjoyed this pack although it is in development yet.
I have a list of lemmings packs that I will play after I finish my military duty. And I added Lemmings World Tour to the list a while ago :thumbsup:
Looking forward to play your another pack someday :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2019, 01:00:28 AM »
Wow, and I'm once again impressed by your replays! :thumbsup: On several levels you've come up with way more creative solutions than the actual intended ones - so repeatedly, even though these solutions bypass the main trick, I can't break them with a clear conscience.

Loud rank (click to show/hide)

I haven't implemented all of the changes yet, which is why there is no update to the pack yet with all your backroutes fixed. You can expect it in the next couple of days, together with a couple more entirely new levels! ;)

I'm sorry that I can't give you detailed answer as you did since my English skill is terrible, especially at writing English. :(
(Luckily, I have no problem in reading English, so I understood all your replies)

Don't worry, I understand you perfectly, and as such I'd say you're skills are definitely far from "terrible" ;) . In fact, a major portion of the forum members are non-native English speakers. I don't know whether they're in the majority - there are a lot of users for whom I assume they're from the US, but I'm not sure. We could use an actual "Lemmings World Tour map", to get an overview where everyone's from! :D I only know for certain that there are a bunch of Germans and Finns around here.

Speaking of them...

I have a list of lemmings packs that I will play after I finish my military duty. And I added Lemmings World Tour to the list a while ago

...I believe our Finnish forum members can still empathize with that. ;) Germany suspended the draft around 2010-2011 or so, like most European nations.

I'm honoured you want to try Lemmings World Tour as well! :thumbsup: It will definitely be a lot easier for you, given with how much ease you're already not only solving, but improving the levels here on Lemmings Open Air! But maybe that's just going to be a well-deserved "breather" after you're done with your service. ;)

There would only be a slight anachronism - because Lemmings World Tour does actually contain a level referencing Status Quo's "In the army now" :D ...
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Open Air [83/120 levels completed]
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 04:57:14 PM »
Another update! I've fixed all the backroutes that Armani had found, allowing alternative solutions or even turning his solutions into talismans where feasible. As such, there is a talisman window on the main menu screen now, for the overview.

Changelog (click to show/hide)

On some of the more open-ended levels on which Armani saved quite a few skills, I haven't decided yet on whether I want to fix them, and if so, how. But all the most devastating shortcuts should be gone now. ;)

Aside from that, I've added eight further levels to the Heavy and Hardcore rank, one of which is a re-run, resulting in "only" seven screenshots:

Let me entertain you

Hero
This is my first level featuring Neutral lemmings! ;)

Les fleurs du mal
Quite a unique Disarmer puzzle that justified the borrowing of the flower traps from the L2 Highland tileset. They also seem to fit nicely with the Dirt tileset, anyway, being orange and green.

The other side / Mourning palace

To Hell and back
Another case of innocuous tileset mixing - I've combined Fire and Menacing before, though ;) .

Make total destroy
The second half of the level is a shameless replication of a NepsterLems level (just in the opposite direction). But it includes a lot of Shimmiers, so it's not an identical solution! :P

Prayer of the refugee
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
I'm sorry, I forgot to add something:

Please re-download the strato_generalmd tileset. I've added another rain object (red rain, for the eponymous level referring to the Peter Gabriel song; it is the level formerly known as "Rama Lema Ding Dong", which has been renamed after me discovering that I had already used this title for "Clam-a-Lem-a-Ding-Dong" in the Groupie rank of Lemmings World Tour).

I've noticed that somebody downloaded the newest version of the pack (most likely Armani?), but not the tileset again. Since Armani is already past the level, he probably didn't notice yet. But I did fix a backroute on that particular one, and you won't be able to replay it without the rain object, because then the level can't be drawn - even though the rain is just a cosmetic feature. ;)
My packs so far:

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 09:14:19 AM »

Finally I got around to playing new levels!

I'm afraid many of my solutions are backroutes :(

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Open Air [84/120 levels completed]
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 10:56:51 AM »
Thank you once again for playing, Armani! :thumbsup: Yes, indeed there are quite a few backroutes among your solutions - but that's what pre-release testing is for, after all! ;) So the more you find, the better!

The update is attached to the starting post! :) I've also fixed "Fire escape" on the Soft rank, I had forgotten about that one the last time.

The current update also features one additional level in the Money tileset called "Paid in full". I can't make a screenshot at the moment, so you'll have to see for yourself... :D

I'm pretty sure it's rather vulnerable to backroutes, as well, though - at least now, in its first iteration...
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Open Air [90/120 levels completed]
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2020, 10:11:10 PM »
3/4 of the pack completed now! :) Check the attachment in the starting post for the update!

I was intending to wait with another update until the entire Heavy rank was completed, but 90/120 is also a nice number, so why wait?

These small updates also allow me to show you all the new levels. First, here's the one that I added as a single additional level (No. 84) the last time:

Paid in full

And now for the six new ones:

Needled 24/7

Chop Suey

Eruption

Poison

Davidian

Enter Sandman*

As you can see, we're dealing almost exclusively with Metal titles now. The challenge is finding a balance between my personal favourites, and some reasonably famous titles, even if I may not be their biggest fan. ;)

*Maybe, now that we have recolouring available, we can turn this dude into an own set of "sand-lemming" sprites? :D
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Open Air [90/120 levels completed]
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2020, 11:17:42 AM »
After working on Lemmings Hall of Fame and Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll for a long time, things are finally picking up here on this "classical" pack again! :thumbsup: Feeling that I had pretty much reached the bottom of Shimmier-related design space, I did a bit of thinking back and forth whether I should add another skill. But eventually, of course, the Jumper has also found its way into Lemmings Open Air.

I could have snuck in an introductory level for the Jumper on the first rank - but given that the first two ranks had already been completed prior to the Jumper's implementation, I thought it would be weird to introduce a skill and then not use it for two ranks. (Granted, I've done similar things in the past, but only with fringe objects, like splitters and anti-splat pads.)

Therefore, the Jumper is now introduced on the second level of the third of four ranks. I think this gives people enough time to familiarise themselves with the Shimmier for the first two ranks, before puzzles start factoring in Jumper-Shimmier interactions.

Here are some of the new levels; the download hasn't been upgraded yet, because there's only one more level missing until the Heavy rank will also be completed. ;) So I feel I should do that first, then there will be three complete ranks plus the first seven from Hardcore.

High tide

This is the Jumper-introduction level (Heavy 02). It's pretty obvious where everything has to go if you're already familiar with the Jumper; but for a player learning about the skill for the first time, it might still be challenging to figure out the behaviour of a new skill. That's why I've added in as many things as possible that the Jumper can do, including jumping at and off a wall, and transitioning from a Jumper to a Shimmier.

Lems burst into fire

There are a bunch of flame-throwers on this level that you can't see in the standstill screenshot, but they are not "hidden". The flames clearly come out of the walls, just the shooting devices are buried within the walls, because otherwise the fire areas would have been too long for what I had in mind here. ;)

Then I made a couple of marble levels with more advanced Jumper stuff. This first one is just one more to hammer home the possibility of Jumper-Shimmier transitions. After that, things quickly get even more obscure, much like with my Shimmier-trick levels. :8:()[:

I believe in a thing called Lems

The evil that Lems do

Still loving Lemmings

Come as you are

I'm also experimenting with red-herring skills on some of these Heavy levels. Sometimes, these skills are provided just to distract or lead the player up the garden path, by making them think of a solution that doesn't actually work. Sometimes they will actively backfire and blow up in your face if you use them! :P Especially Climbers have a habit of going over one wall too many...
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings Open Air [111/120 levels completed]
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 04:59:57 PM »
I've been keeping things quiet in this topic for another couple of months. But now, there are only 9 more levels to go! :thumbsup: (One of which is already pretty much finished terrain-wise, now I just need to come up with a solution worthy of being in the final rank.)

First and foremost: As I announced before, the level "Breakfast at Tiffany's" from the Loud rank has been moved to another pack of mine, "Lemmings, Drugs, and Rock 'n Roll" (LDR). The reason is that it used the Food tileset, which would be a flavour break (pun intended ;) ) in this pack, but goes very nicely with all the other Candy levels in a Lemmings-3D-style pack, which LDR is.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - moved to "Lemmings, Drugs, & Rock 'n Roll"

The following level has been created as a replacement on the Loud rank:

We didn't start the fire

And here are a bunch of further metal titles for the Hardcore rank! :evil:
Bands featured this time are Fleshcrawl, Amaranthe, Debauchery, At The Gates, Megadeth, Kreator,
Meshuggah, All Shall Perish, Autopsy, Keep of Kalessin, In Flames, Napalm Death...
...as well as a certain one-man band called "Bounding Innards"...
...and the band this one-man band was trying to imitate ;) .

Beneath a dying sun

Probably too much pop for the Hardcore rank, but the rhythms are complicated enough... plus, I think this one might be comparatively well-known.
And I do need some "famous" songs on the Hardcore rank as well, otherwise, what's the point of naming my levels after songs?

The Nexus

In honour of Paralems's beloved "Death Titan", I present to you...

Blood God rising

Nessy makes a guest appearance on the Rock tileset. This one might be a little easy for its position, we'll have to see.

Under a serpent sun

This is one I'm quite proud of - I think this is the most complicated solution I've ever come up with that doesn't involve any constructive skills.

Symphony of destruction

Hordes of chaos

Another instance of subliminal tileset mixing...

Clockworks

Just like original Lemmings, this pack is going to have two "Beast" levels. One is "The number of the beast", and the other one is this one:

The True Beast

Charred remains

Here's the most brutal one of all of them... 8-)

Wipe your ass with sandpaper

Yes, that on the left is the toilet-paper roll; on the right, there is a shower; in the middle is the John, and the Lemmings spawn inside it. You need to get to the sandpaper roll to pick up the skills to solve the level.

The divine land

The puzzle

When all is said and done

And because the former final level was too easy, it has been relegated to an earlier spot. Meaning, this is the final level now:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 05:07:24 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 05:23:27 PM »
Can I just say that these levels look great! :) You certainly have a knack for making such great artistic levels, something I wish I could say and do. Then again, I haven't done any level designing just yet, so I'm probably speaking too soon. I'll definitely be giving this pack a go come release time. It'll probably be after I take on your other packs, most likely. Meaning, Pit Lems, Paralems, and both versions of LWT. What I have in mind is do all the older level packs first and then make my way up to the more recent ones. This pretty much means finish Old Formats packs first, then work my way up to New Formats packs. So, it'll be a long time for me before I get to Lemmings Open Air. Heck, I plan to eventually give every pack a go. That's going to be quite a task, though.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 06:58:11 PM »
I admire your ambition in this regard, kaywhyn! :thumbsup: Thanks for the kind words!

Considering the packs you've solved already, Paralems would probably be something you could breeze through in a single session (if it weren't for its length, 150 levels). Maybe some of the references in there might appeal to you, but apart from that, I almost fear you might be bored by it. ;)

Pit Lems is slightly mechanically challenging - and I certainly won't mind if people continue playing it in Old Formats, because it has some of the best radiation and slowfreeze levels I've made so far. ;) The same is of course also true for Lemmings World Tour.

Lemmings Open Air will of course go through a little more testing prior to release. A lot of levels have thankfully already been tested by Armani, but the final rank is almost completely untested. And considering how many backroutes IchoTolot found on the Legend rank of Lemmings World Tour, I definitely want the final rank of Lemmings Open Air to be more backroute-proof from the getgo. :D
My packs so far:

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 07:43:02 PM »

Considering the packs you've solved already, Paralems would probably be something you could breeze through in a single session (if it weren't for its length, 150 levels). Maybe some of the references in there might appeal to you, but apart from that, I almost fear you might be bored by it. ;)

Pit Lems is slightly mechanically challenging - and I certainly won't mind if people continue playing it in Old Formats, because it has some of the best radiation and slowfreeze levels I've made so far. ;) The same is of course also true for Lemmings World Tour.

Thanks for the info on your smaller packs. I doubt I'll be bored by Paralems, considering that I just really love the game in general. Plus, it just might be the break I need, considering that I've been playing nothing but just extremely difficult levels for the last several months with United, LPA, and Nepsterlems. I'm so close to finishing the third pack, but I'm already held back by the very first level of the Black Hole rank! :o I was definitely right when I said that it would be amazing if I manage to solve even just one level in the final rank of Nepsterlems.

I personally don't mind slowfreeze and radiation, so I'm definitely looking forward to those levels when I get to them in Pit Lems and Old Formats LWT. IIRC, I pointed them out as some of the best levels in the Nostalgia rank of Lemmicks. So far, there has only been one radiation level that has annoyed me, but I can assure you that it's not in any of your packs that I have played thus far. It was a level from one of the Gigalems packs that I played, where I just got annoyed with it after a certain point but eventually managed to solve. It was a nice puzzle, but the solution was just too fiddly.

Lemmings Open Air will of course go through a little more testing prior to release. A lot of levels have thankfully already been tested by Armani, but the final rank is almost completely untested. And considering how many backroutes IchoTolot found on the Legend rank of Lemmings World Tour, I definitely want the final rank of Lemmings Open Air to be more backroute-proof from the getgo. :D

Not a problem. I rather pack authors take their time with their packs than rush the release and it turning out not as good as it should. Not to mention that I myself don't like being rushed and hence I don't like rushing others either. That being said, I be happy to offer to backroute test the final rank of Lemmings Open Air whenever it's ready! ;) 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0