Author Topic: [Suggestion] Move talisman editing from Pack Toolkit to level editor.  (Read 2400 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
In current NeoLemmix, talismans are stored in the level, not the pack data. They can also exist in standalone levels now. As such, the level editor, not the pack editor, should edit them.

An additional problem that arises from this is that the pack editor modifies the folder structure, and creates levels.nxmi files where they may not be wanted. Probably not a huge deal on a finished pack, but can be annoying on works in progress.

("Both can edit them" would also be acceptable.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
I'd support this! I find it way easier to come up with more challenging solutions, as they are suitable for talismans, already while editing a level, rather than coming back to the individual levels later when compiling them into a pack.

That is one of the main reasons why all my packs to date don't have any talismans yet :D .
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
I've just been adding talismans in with a text editor. Having this in the level editor would certainly be a convenience.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Depending on how much of the pack toolkit code I can just reuse in the editor, this might come sooner or later. But talismans are not top priority for me, so you'll most likely have to wait for a few editor versions yet.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Suggestion] Move talisman editing from Pack Toolkit to level editor.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 07:12:19 PM »
Bump, while this might be quite tricky, it's something I'd like to look into. (It probably won't be in for the V12.6.0 initial release, but then, an editor update can occur without a new player update. ;) )

Or, failing that, I need to write a proper tutorial on adding talismans with a text editor.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 09:28:47 PM »
I'm in all favor for this. I want re add talismans to my Millas pack and I don't want to text edit just to do it.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 12:43:38 AM »
Either is fine.  I find I have to ask the programmers directly or just copy and paste from another level and make adjustments!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 01:25:04 AM »
Either is fine.  I find I have to ask the programmers directly or just copy and paste from another level and make adjustments!

I still intend to hopefully add talisman editing to the level editor eventually, but in the meantime: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4336.0
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 02:05:19 AM »
Implemented over the course of a few commits, the last of which is 126d1ff. Most of the code for this originates from the old Pack Toolkit.
My Lemmings projects