Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] SEB Lems [Difficulty: Medium-Hard]  (Read 32811 times)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] SEB Lems [Difficulty: Medium-Hard]
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2020, 03:44:41 AM »
SEB Lems v3.03 is out.

Fixes a back route found by Swerdis on Murder 12 :)

Download is in first post.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2020, 08:57:12 AM »
What a coincidence - that's precisely the next one I have to play, so this fix came just in time! :thumbsup:
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »
Okay, here's the Murder rank. There were a few that I could solve entirely on my own; most of them I got to about 90-95% but then needed a hint for the final step.

For one particular level however (Murder 07, "The Call of Lucia") I was completely on the wrong track.
Or rather, I considered this approach in the very beginning, but then decided the terrain was too iffy to pull that off. Then you get an effect similar to the psychological phenomenon called "inhibition of return": In a place where you've already looked but where you didn't find anything, you're less likely to look again / it's harder to actively force yourself to do so.

Basically, anytime you've considered what would have turned out as the correct solution but then discarded it for some reason, good luck getting that one back! ;)

On the individual levels (click to show/hide)
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2020, 01:31:26 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Strato, although you may have taken hints on a few levels you have made it further than most have in the pack. Most people tend to give up on the pack by this point.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Best of luck with Rapture if you are carrying on into that rank :P

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2020, 10:25:01 AM »
Thanks for your detailed reply, Flopsy! ;) With the screenshot from Murder 07, the placement of the skills makes a lot more sense now.

Quote from: Flopsy
We're officially naming this trick after you now because you pulled this trick in Murder 1 as well instead of the trick you used in Murder 5. It's not a back route, you're just using The Strato Turnaround!

It's funny you call it like that, given that, as I said before, you were the one who showed that trick to me. :D Twice! On your LP of Lemmings Migration. (Still haven't found any other way of solving those two particular levels where you used that trick, btw. ;) ) Also, if that trick isn't a signature of the King of Blockers, then I don't know which one is!

Regarding "Great Scot!":

Regarding "Medieval Mystery Zone":

The "streamlined" part of my solutions may come from the fact that whenever I do need to get a hint, I take it from IchoTolot's replay playlist now. ;) That's because I know it's in the correct order; Arty's LP was still in Old Formats, a lot of the levels changed their position since then, and also many of his solutions were blocked / fixed as partial backroutes.

Basically, what I do is I start watching IchoTolot's video and only go on as long as I keep seeing stuff that I have already figured out myself. That's just a confirmation "ok, you're on the right track so far". As soon as I see something new, I stop the video and say "ok, that's my hint, now where can I go from here?"

Well, except for "The Call of Lucia". I had no idea where IchoTolot's solution was going until I already saw it coming together. :evil:

I have solved two levels from the Rapture rank so far (levels 02 and 04). Haven't attempted anything beyond that yet, though. So there may be further "easy" ones coming.
I expect the difficulty to be similarly subjective as on the Murder rank now.
I also haven't looked at any of IchoTolot's replays for these levels yet (meaning not even "partially" for any hints).

Level 02 was more of an execution-timing struggle, the conceptual part I had figured out pretty quickly.

Level 04 was much more to my liking, no difficult crowd control, just a nice resource-conservation puzzle where all the skills are accounted for (i.e. no open-ended X-of-everything level), and it's all about the pioneer lemming. :thumbsup:

Level 01 currently still seems to have way too many obstacles for me to overcome with the limited skill set.

For Level 03, I think I'm pretty close, but what always irritates me...

I looked at the level list in the menu, though...
My packs so far:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2020, 06:55:27 AM »
Hello Flopsy,

First two ranks solved. Replays attached. You already know that I'm LPing this pack, but for everyone else I'm also LPing the pack.

Link to the LP: Kaywhyn's LP of Flopsy's SEB Lems for New Formats NL. Enjoy, everyone! :P

As I have already told you, I am enjoying this pack a lot! The Paradise rank is very well-done for a first rank. It's not a throwaway rank at all. Yes, almost every level in the rank is an X-of-everything, but they're not like the ONML Tame ones where you do 1-3 skills and then you're done. Here, you have to do way more than that. As a result, there is far more variety, and they are way more interesting and challenging. They're still no pushovers.

In the first batch of 10 levels, these were pretty much all well-done. Out of the three crash course levels, my favorite one was the 2nd level. All those restarts on the 1st level weren't necessary, as that's what I get for not planning out the solution in full before I started playing the level. Not to mention that I went for a save all solution. As for the rest, I have to say that my favorite one was Paradise 7 - Cake Shop Visits. Excellent level, both puzzle and visually. Even better, I really like the music. It is most appropriate, considering it's Christmas and it's generally played around this time of year. Paradise 10 - Is It Any Wonder? is quite a large 20-of-everything level, but I don't mind the occasional huge level, especially since it's still an easy one. I still like this level, and I especially like the music that's played on the level. I had no idea that it came from the PSP version. It's been so long since I played it.

In the second half of the Paradise rank, there are plenty of levels that I really like design-wise and visually. My favorites in this regard were Paradise 12 - Know When to Fold Them!, Paradise 14 - Lemtris 3D, Paradise 15 - Party in my Head, and Paradise 16 - It's The Name of the Game. I especially love 12 for how it features playing cards and betting chips. Even better, they're all excellent puzzles! :thumbsup: I would say that Paradise 17 - Crystallize is the hardest of the rank, although it's still not too bad. I can see this one tripping up less experienced players. I recognized Paradise 18 - Volunteer Lemming Firefighters from the MegSEBytes pack. It is a large level and more challenging than Paradise 10 despite both being a 20-of-everything level.

Finally, Paradise 19 - Tricks of the Trade and Paradise 20 - Parting Is Bittersweet are excellent puzzles.

Ok, now the Bittersweet rank. Plenty of great levels here, and I continue to enjoy the pack very much! :thumbsup:

I think what I will do is post again after I complete a rank for the rest of the pack. Onward! ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2020, 09:05:14 PM »
RE: Strato

RE: kaywhyn (some additional remarks not covered in the youtube comment replies)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2020, 12:02:24 AM »
Quote from: Flopsy
Erm, I don't think you're going to have an easy time after Rapture 4 if you want my honest opinion. Rapture 6 if you have been attempting it is considered the hardest level in the entire pack personally, it is one of the levels in the pack with the fewest solves and even some of the best players on this forum have struggled with that level greatly before solving it.

Guess you're wrong; I have solved Rapture 7, 8, and 9 by myself, and for 10 I only needed one minor readjustment compared to the solution I had already implemented before. So my suspicions that easer levels would come higher up were indeed confirmed :P .

Rapture 01 - 14 (click to show/hide)

All in all, I think I've got a good understanding now of what my own levels (even in my hardest pack to date, Lemmings Open Air) lack to take them over the edge to "very hard" difficulty.
However, a lot of levels on the Rapture rank seem to enforce this via iffy terrain shapes, over-fixed with steel and fire areas, and worst of all with extreme pixel precision combined with relative timing between at least two worker lemmings.
And if that's what I would have to add to my own levels to add some even harder ones at the very last rank, I'd rather prefer for them to be conceptually easier, but a lot less fiddly to play.

I have never used as much True-Physics Mode in a pack as I have while playing this pack, especially on the Murder and Rapture rank, but it already started a little earlier. And even if it was just for old, comparatively overdone tricks like Digger-Basher staircases, when counting to six alone wouldn't suffice.

The combination of pixel precision and relative timing between two lemmings (as e.g. many of your favourite Blocker tricks require them) is something I listed explicitly right at the beginning of my immediate turn offs; that shows you how immediately it jumped into my mind.

I'm fine with pixel precision on its own (=for individual lemmings), and I'm fine with relative timing, but the interaction of the two at the same time exponentially increases execution difficulty. And sometimes even to a point where the mere fact that the intended solution is so precise actually hides that solution on a conceptual level, because there are only a couple of frames where it actually works.

Quote from: Strato Incendus
and another related issue is what I would call "relative pixel precision": Pixel precision is fine as long as it affects single lemmings. If a builder has to go in one specific spot, e.g. to cross a gap, allow a climber to still climb up out of said gap from the other side, and make the builder turn around or not, then fine, that's what framestepping is for! :thumbsup: The problem arises when two or more lemmings have to be in very specific spots relative to each other, so the skill assignment becomes a game of Mikado. Pixel precision therefore becomes exponentially worse the more lemmings are required for a given maneuvre. But it's also annoying enough if just a couple of pixels decide whether a lemming slips by or not, harking back to the stalling issue.

There is one level in Lemmings World Tour which requires this amount of relative timing:
I kind of had a bad conscience about that level for precisely that reason, so I was glad when people found at least partly alternative solutions to it.

However, here on the Rapture rank, a whole bunch of the levels feel like they have that amount of pixel precision to them. This includes those I solved all by myself, like Rapture 02 and 07.

Those levels which didn't include this interaction of pixel precision and relative timing were indeed great, fair, excellently complex puzzles!
:thumbsup:
At the same time, those levels were quite a bit easier - which you can tell by the fact that I could solve most of them without any hints. Meaning, they were easier than many of the levels on the Murder rank.

I don't think I'm just biased in this regard by "I like the levels I solved on my own and am critical of the others" :evil: .
I think there is a clear qualitative difference in the amount of execution fiddling required by levels such as Rapture 02, 03, 07, 08, 12, and especially 14 - and the more calm and conceptual challenges created by Rapture 01, 04, 09, 10, 13.
As you can see, both of these lists include levels that I solved all on my own and such that I needed hints for.

So there's a pretty much even split between levels I enjoyed very much, and levels that had such high amounts of pixel precision that I considered it borderline trolling at some point. ;)

Anyways, with Rapture 14 still pending (whether that amount of precision is actually required), next up is "Gravity Coaster", about which I have heard quite a lot of rumours already (not pertaining to the solution, though). Let's see if I'm going to struggle with it as much as I've heard other people did... :thumbsup:
My packs so far:

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2020, 06:03:30 AM »
All of what you've said is perfectly valid and your opinion. I feel it might explain why a lot of people give up on the pack by this point.

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2020, 06:08:38 AM »
SEB Lems v3.04 is out

Fixes a back route on Rapture 10 by Strato.
Download is in first post as always

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2020, 08:02:08 AM »
Revolution rank done. More replays and feedback. Replays up through Revolution 20 attached. Overall, I felt the Revolution rank was easier than the Bittersweet rank. It might be because no levels in this rank required more than one video to solve. There were only 2-3 levels that slowed my progress, and most happened to be levels from your MegSEBytes pack. Revolution 19 being the biggest offender here, which is the level in the rank that took me the longest to solve. It's very interesting how It's a level that I have played before from your MegSEBytes pack, but I honestly have no idea why it took me so long to solve. In any case, for the purposes of the LP, I have no intention of loading any of my MegSEBytes replays for the levels I have already played. I'm willing to sit through and solve them again no matter how long it takes me.

Onward to the Stormy rank! Solving time might slow considerably here, but if not then very likely the next rank. As usual, I still continue to enjoy your SEB Lems pack very much ;)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:15 AM »
Fair enough; I was hoping my solution to Rapture 10 would be accepted as an alternative solution, but I can see how it missed the main trick.

Since I had already compared my solution to IchoTolot's in the meantime, though, figuring out how to resolve this one wasn't too difficult.

Rapture 10 (click to show/hide)

I've added my re-solve for Rapture 10 to the replay folder attached.
I haven't attempted Gravity Coaster or any of the following levels yet.
My packs so far:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2020, 09:59:00 AM »
Solved the entire Stormy rank. Replays up through Stormy 20 attached. Overall, the entire rank was extremely slow going, especially since I pretty much was only able to solve 1-3 levels at a time throughout the entire rank. This tells me that the pack is definitely mostly done playing around by this point. Revolution was where the levels got only slightly a bit harder but the levels still allowed a lot of leeway, whereas Stormy was really where the difficulty cranked up and the skillsets very tight and very little in the way of leniency. Interestingly enough, only one level in Stormy required 2 videos to solve, while no such level needed that in the Revolution rank.

Stormy Levels Feedback (click to show/hide)

Halfway done with the pack and still continuing to enjoy the pack very much. I'm loving the challenges I've been faced with. I'm definitely starting to worry that the Murder and Rapture ranks will be extremely slow going, especially if the Stormy rank slowed my solving times considerably from start to finish is any indication. However, you did say that there's a possibility that I might steamroll over them easily when most others would get stuck here and give up. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I'm definitely willing to power through and struggle.

Onward to the Murder rank, which will likely end up murdering me and I will be begging for mercy :crylaugh:

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2020, 09:04:24 AM »
Murder rank finally completely solved. Replays up through Murder 20 attached. The rank took me 2 days, but I finally did it.

Whoa, this was an extremely difficult rank, so I'm quite shocked that I even made it through the whole rank after a lot of struggling. So many levels in this rank needed multiple videos before I finally solved them. The hardest levels in this rank for me were Murder 5, 9, and 19. As I mentioned before, I'm disappointed that I don't even have one of the original videos for Murder 5. It's supposed to have taken 3 videos before I finally solved it, but alas there's only two videos because I foolishly didn't have OBS open for the second video on that level. It's ironic, considering that I didn't struggle anywhere near as long on the Old Formats version of the level when I played through your MegSEBytes pack. Then again, it seems that all of the MegSEBytes levels have been problematic for me, with only a few that I managed to solve fairly quickly, such as Murder 11.

Murder 19 is the second level in the entire rank to take 3 videos to solve, but in contrast to Murder 5, in the third video for Murder 19 it was an extremely quick solve. The solution came to me in my mind during my break after I recorded the second video for the level.

I had nearly given up on the pack due to Murder 9, but thank goodness I just kept coming back and didn't throw in the towel. Goes to show you that even SEB Lems has managed to make a mighty solver like me tremble in my knees. At the same time, keep in mind that I'm playing the pack where most levels seem to have been way more backroute proof compared to the Old Formats version, and hence some levels are much harder as a result. Murder 5 seems to be a really good example, where just the addition of a fire trap was enough to increase the difficulty dramatically. However, the main reason it took me so long before I finally solved it was due to how I overlooked the use of a blocker trick which I know very well from the many packs I have played. Yea Flopsy, I think you're right when you said that I always seem to overlook and miss the obvious stuff while I tend to figure out the non-obvious stuff that people have trouble with very quickly.

Truthfully, the Murder rank is like literally up there in difficulty with United. The pack overall is easier than United in the very early ranks, but by Stormy/Murder it pretty much enters United territory in terms of difficulty. I say these two ranks are comparable to around the 3rd/4th rank of United, respectively. It's also like the Stormy rank in that I could generally only solve 1 or 2 levels per video. There were only a few where I managed to solve 3 levels in one video. However, because I ended up getting majorly stumped on several levels in the Murder rank, solving times practically slowed to a crawl the entire rank. The Stormy rank was the same, but solving the entire rank was still overall faster, I think by a couple of hours less.

I have noticed that my struggles are largely due to how I often felt I was a skill or two short. United was the same way in the later ranks, where there's no chance of recovery if you place any skill wrong. So is also the case here with SEB Lems, especially with the Stormy and Murder ranks. It's definitely a difficult pack just like United, just slightly easier and the difficulty doesn't increase as fast. It wasn't until the Revolution rank where the pack finally stopped playing around for the most part, but there was still plenty of leeway in the skills. In contrast, I ended up struggling with the Bittersweet rank more than the Revolution rank. So far, I have found that the Revolution rank was easier than Bittersweet, then it got difficult again with the Stormy rank, then the pack got even harder with the Murder rank.

Murder Levels Feedback (click to show/hide)

All rightie, I better brace myself for the Rapture rank. Since I ended up struggling considerably with the Murder rank, I can only imagine that I will struggle even more with the final main rank of the pack, Rapture. I stated that the Stormy and Murder ranks were equivalent to that of the 2nd and 4th ranks of United, and so this probably means that Rapture will be the equivalent of the Genocide rank of United. When I first reached that rank in United, I was very fearful of it and thought it would be the rank to stop my complete run at solving the entire United pack. Indeed, my fears were amplified even more when the first level of Genocide was a no solve even after 2 hours. I was close, but I was 1 short of the requirement.

If this is indeed true with the Rapture rank, then it'll pretty much be the Genocide rank of United all over again for me. I'm already fearing the Rapture rank even though I haven't played any of the rank yet. I guess we'll see I get on with it in the upcoming days. 

Online kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2021, 08:52:53 AM »
And, Rapture rank is finally done and hence the main 6 ranks of the pack all solved! It might had taken me a while, but I made it through. All without any hints on any Murder or Rapture levels too! ;) Here are my replays up through Rapture 20. Truthfully, the Rapture rank wasn't as brutally difficult as I thought it was going to be. Then again, I said the exact same thing with the Hardcore rank of Strato's LOA pack, where I honestly felt no real challenge with the rank other than 3 levels I found difficult in their current version before release. Here, the Rapture rank is way more challenging, but still in a really good and appropriate way. Here, the hardest levels for me in the rank were Rapture 3, 11, 13, and 14. 15 and 19 were also difficult. Both 11 and the former somewhat only because I'm very bad with levels that have a lot of stackers, but they weren't as bad as I thought, but definitely the latter (Rapture 19). Then again, I ended up overcomplicating my solutions to 13 and 19.

Rapture 3 definitely got me quite upset with myself and I had contemplated leaving the community due to feeling worthless if I couldn't solve the level. I later realized I was being way too hard on myself, but even then the week break I took from the game definitely helped a lot for me. I definitely came back a lot sooner than I thought I would, but it's nice that I was able to figure out the solution on my own.

I'm quite surprised that the experts found Rapture 6 difficult. Yes, I did have to do two videos to solve it, but honestly the level's not THAT hard. It's likely due to the solution being extremely difficult to spot. However, I nearly saw the solution in my first attempt when I had the right thought with the miner, but due to having placed some skills in my mind incorrectly, another solution I was trying I couldn't get to work. As I mentioned in the next video, the solution to the level came to me shortly after I fell asleep that night. I was pleasantly pleased to see that what I had in mind ended up working perfectly.

Now that I've gotten through the 6 main ranks of the pack, I got to say that overall the Murder rank is harder than Rapture. There were way more Murder levels that were harder for me. A lot of Rapture levels are hard due to a lot of extreme precision needed. Then again, I felt I overcomplicated a lot of the solutions.

Having said this, I'm in complete agreement that Murder 9 should be moved up again, up to the Rapture rank. As I mentioned in my feedback, there were plenty of easy Rapture levels compared to the Murder rank. In particular, I found Rapture 16 quite easy for its position. Or, it could even possibly swap with Rapture 8, which is probably the easiest level in the entire rank.

In addition, since I have now solved the entire main ranks of SEB Lems for the very first time, I'm now in agreement that I really overestimated the difficulty when I said the pack's difficulty is up there with United. SEB Lems does not reach the 4th or 5th rank of United in difficulty at all. I think the highest the pack goes in terms of United difficulty is late 2nd rank or even early 3rd rank. I definitely should had waited to complete the Rapture rank first before comparing the difficulty to United :-[ Bittersweet is far below the 1st rank of United difficulty, while around mid-Revolution I would consider 1st rank United difficulty. Stormy would probably be late 1st rank United difficulty.

Overall, great job with the pack that I absolutely enjoyed even when solving times slowed to a crawl considerably later on and where I felt the puzzle quality suffered somewhat. I definitely enjoyed being able to solve all of the levels without any hints, although honestly I felt the quality of the puzzles somewhat took a dip due to so many needing a lot of precision in the later ranks, especially with Rapture. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the Rapture levels were great, although the precision could be lessened on many without the overall puzzle being harmed greatly. The same goes with some of the levels in the earlier ranks as well. This was pretty much the thing I noticed Gigalem likes to do in his packs: Unnecessary pixel precision with a lot of skill assignments. I don't mind it on occasion, but too many of them in a row will definitely quickly annoy me in the same way too many hidden traps in a row will. Then again, I'm definitely being hypocritical, since I seem to be a fan of timing heavy solutions which end up resulting in a lot of my solutions being extremely fiddly on so many levels in this pack. It's not completely deliberate, though. I mean to keep my solutions as simple as possible, but it seems that I can't help myself by resorting to fiddlyness in them.

Since the next two ranks are like side ranks and not main ones, I think I will take another break before I come back and solve the remaining 40 levels. I could definitely use one. I will come back and finish the LP at a later time ;)