Author Topic: [NeoLemmix 1.43] Lemmicks - Lemmings with gimmicks! ANOTHER UPDATE  (Read 48614 times)

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
The day of the first release is finally here!

...is a pack for NeoLemmix 1.43 which features the gimmicks - which were culled from the current versions - in a systematic rank-by-rank approach.

You'll need NeoLemmix Player 1.43 to play this! Get it here.
This means:

- The level sides are solid, not deadly.
- Some levels feature ghost lemmings which are unaffected by any type of object, but can be assigned skills by the player.
- There is no fencer skill, no skill blueprints, and no clear physics mode.
Technical stuff:
- If you rewind or framestep, the NeoLemmix player will also switch the selected skill to what you had selected at that particular frame, rather than keeping your current one selected.
You can change this in the settings, however! I'd certainly advise for this because it's an unnecessary and easily avoidable source of confusion and annoyance :D .
- If you can't solve a level, you can press 1 on your keyboard to advance to the next one and try later - or jump between levels by using the arrow keys on the level preview screen.
You don't have to write down all the access codes! You simply cannot choose directly from a level list, but you can still play these levels in whichever order you choose.
- The music is slightly louder ;) .

Lemmicks is my largest pack to date with 170 levels total.
Each rank is dedicated to a separate gimmick or combination of gimmicks which remains consistent across the entire rank.
There are no time limits on any of the levels. Some will still require you to be quick in one way or another.

Download:
Level pack
Styles folder (to make sure you have all the tilesets for 1.43, put this in the same folder as the 1.43 NeoLemmix Player)
Music pack
The music mainly consists of Lemmings 3D tracks, plus the regular Lemmings / ONML ones and an occasional throw in from Lemmings 2: The Tribes.
Some levels however feature sneak previews at the music for Lemmings World Tour, my next pack in line!
Everything is in MP3 format, because these files actually turned out smaller than if I tried to convert them to high quality .oggs.

Currently, my own music tracks don't loop as nicely in NeoLemmix yet as they did in the software I recorded them in. So I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve this!

And now, on to the ranks!

1. BASIC (20 levels)
Gimmicks: None
(unless "Ghosts" and "Solid sides" count ;) )
This rank is supposed to introduce you to the skills and objects of NeoLemmix (1.43) in the quickest way possible.
For seasoned NeoLemmix players, this means predominantly:
- Getting you used to solid level sides again.
- Familiarise you with Ghost lemmings.

The 8 commandments

2. MOIST (10 levels)
Gimmicks: Rising water

All permanent objects rise at the slowest possible rising speed of 255 frames per 1 pixel rise. This may cut off paths you want to take, buttons or pickup skills you want to hit, or endanger the crowd you leave behind - but it might also be helpful on other occasions!

Bathroom leak

3. CIRCULAR (10 levels)
Gimmicks: Vertical and horizontal wrap

Whenever a lemming leaves the screen at one end, it will reappear at the other.

Circular logic

4. CONSEQUENTIAL (10 levels)
Gimmicks: Countdown other skills

You don't lose 1 of the skill you use, but one of every other skill instead.

Limited resources

5. TWISTED (10 levels)
Gimmicks: Backwards walkers

Lemmings walk backwards, but still perform skills in the direction they are facing.

Face the danger

6. WHIMSICAL (10 levels)
Gimmicks: Turnaround on assign

Lemmings walk as normal, but turn around whenever you assign a skill to them.

All along the watchtower

7. ETERNAL (10 levels)
Gimmicks: Hardworkers, Non-fatal bombers, Permanent blockers

Bashers, platformers, and builders go on indefinitely; this extends to miners and diggers as long as they have terrain to stand on.
Bombers don't kill lemmings.
Freed blockers become blockers again as soon as they have solid ground under their feet. They can only be turned loose using walkers.
Stackers and stoners are unaffected, as well as all skills which are permanent skills already.

May the Force be with you

8. EPHEMERAL (2 x 5 levels)
The only rank with a split set of rules.
Gimmicks Levels 1-5: Non-permanent skills
Lemmings lose their athletic skills again after one successful use.

Ignorance is bliss
Gimmicks Levels 6-9: Exhaustion, Lazy Lemmings
Lemmings stop performing skills earlier than they would normally do; athletic skills still stick to the lemming, but only work for short heights.
Swimmers and disarmers are unaffected.

The average Joe
Gimmick Level 10: All three gimmicks combined!

9. HASTY (10 levels)
Gimmicks: Frenzy, Superlemming, Instant Pickup Skills

The pause button doesn't work, the game speed is increased, and Lemmings use pickup skills they walk through instantaneously, if possible.
You can however still rewind using the minus key - and you'll probably have to do this a lot!
Also, be sure to use the hotkeys (the F-keys at the top of your keyboard) to select skills! You won't always have enough time to do this with your mouse.

Frenz with benefits

10. COSMIC (10 levels)
Gimmicks: No gravity

Lemmings can't fall down, but walk in the air. You can still use diagonal slopes of terrain to get them down, though.

NASA training lab

11. SUICIDAL (10 levels)
Gimmicks: Karoshi

You have to kill the Lemmings rather than saving them - the way you accomplish this is up to you! ;)
The nuke button is disabled here, and dropping the Lemmings into the abyss at the bottom of the screen doesn't count as "killing".

Kill Lem all

12. BEDLAM (40 levels)
Gimmicks: ???

All gimmicks introduced in the previous ranks can appear in any combination with each other, as well as with new gimmicks which weren't covered before. Most of the time, a pre-level text screen will inform you about the active gimmicks, but sometimes you'll just have to figure them out for yourself! ;)

Eternal endless infinity

13. NOSTALGIC (10 levels)
Gimmicks: ???

A bonus rank dedicated to all the features removed from NeoLemmix in the meantime.

Give up the ghost

Feel free to send me your replays and/or information on any backroutes you find! ;)
I didn't receive anything along these lines while the demo version was up during the development phase, so the testing only starts now with the official release.

Hope you enjoy this little trip back in time!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:08:30 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix 1.43] Lemmicks - Lemmings with gimmicks! RELEASE
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:41 PM »
AWESOME! I will commence my Youtube LP of this pack at the earliest convenience.

The first video will be on Tuesday March 20th following the last LPIV Talisman Hunt video and then will be every Tuesday after that!

I'm going to have problems recording this because I can't get v1.43 to work full screen currently due to my odd screen size of 1366x768.

At least leading zeros are back! :)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:03:05 PM »
Great, I'll be looking forward to it! ;)

When you say the first video will be uploaded on March 20th, how much buffer do you usually have between uploading and the actual playing and recording of the video?

I'm just asking because, with about a month left in between, there may be some replays by other people sent to me in the meantime, so I might already be able to overhaul some levels which may have turned out to be backroutable by then :) .

That way you'd already get to play a "more fixed" version of this for the LP, rather than being the primary backroute seeker that nin10doadict became for "Pit Lems" :D !

I'm going to have problems recording this because I can't get v1.43 to work full screen currently due to my odd screen size of 1366x768.

Perhaps someone who was involved with 1.43 can help with that? namida, anyone? ;)

At least leading zeros are back! :)

Haha, I was considering whether I should check the box "center single digit numbers", but then decided I had gotten used to the leading zeros so much during testing that I left it the way it was.

Good to see my decision is being approved! :D
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:29:17 PM »
You don't have to write down all the access codes! You simply cannot choose directly from a level list, but you can still play these levels in whichever order you choose.
You can also enter the rank name and level number (eg. "TRICKY25"), or the rank and level number - making sure to put both as a two digit number (level number can be three digits if it needs to be, but cannot be single-digit - add a leading zero) (eg. "0205") as a password. This won't work if your pack is set up so that levels are locked until the previous level is beaten, though (or more precisely - it will, but only for levels that have already been unlocked).

Perhaps someone who was involved with 1.43 can help with that? namida, anyone? ;)
1.43 always displays 320x160 of level area on-screen at a time, plus the 320x40 skillbar. This can only be scaled by integer amounts; and 1366 x 768 is an odd resolution for this - the highest integer zoom that can fit on screen is 3x, giving 960x600, which leaves quite a large black border.
If you're using capture software that allows you to capture only *part* of the screen instead of the whole screen, set it to capture the area between 203,84 and 1163,684 (960x600 area).
As a last resort, you could always try using window capture and run NeoLemmix in windowed mode, or set your screen resolution to something else temporarily (although most common widescreen resolutions less than 1920x1080 suffer from the same problem; the only one that may work better is 1280x800, but chances are this won't work with your screen).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 12:09:41 AM »
I've already started recording the pack, I've already finished the Basic Rank but I had to skip over 2 levels.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

March 20th is when the LP will start on my YouTube channel, I don't usually set myself a buffer I just try to record everything as soon as possible to save myself becoming overwhelmed.

To be honest, Lemmings Squared I'm still kind of stuck at the moment and DoveLems I have to wait on my co-commentators for that now so it's nice to have something else to play.

I've found a way around the no full screen option, I've just switched to windowed mode because my capture software allows me to snap to a window only.

The Basic Levels were not a good sight to see when coming to the pack to play Gimmick levels but I persevered and finished the gimmick-less rank to start us off!

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »
Good to know, I already uploaded an updated version - the change however only affects the last Bedlam level (I added some steel there to make the Rising Water gimmick relevant). So you might want to update before you get there, but this will probably take some time, considering it's the 160th level in the pack ;) .

But of course you're free to play the ranks in any order you wish! ;) As I said, there is no increasing difficulty between the ranks per se, just different gimmicks - although the gimmicks featured in the higher ranks do add more complexity to the game than in the lower ones.

If players want to skip the Basic rank and get right to the gimmicks, more power to them! I just think at least ghost lemmings are something many of the newer community members are probably not familiar with. Plus, as you probably noticed, quite a few levels in the Basic rank exploit the solid level sides, which it also takes some time to get used to again, I guess.

Therefore, since these changed game mechanics required me to create some introductory levels anyway, I thought they might as well be a little challenging in and of themselves :D !

To your level remarks - first of all, I attached replays for the two levels in question.
My packs so far:

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 12:53:59 AM »
Hey Strato, I played some Lemmicks over spring break, and it's a pretty sweet pack! I love these gimmicky levels, and it's a nice refreshing take on Lemmings! :thumbsup:

Some thoughts on the levels and ranks I have played:

Basic:
Moist:
Circular:
Consequential:
Twisted:
Whimsical:
Eternal:
Ephemeral:
Hasty:
Cosmic:
Suicidal:
Bedlam:
Nostalgic:

I've attached my replays.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 12:15:11 AM »
Ah, great, thanks for playing, Arty! :)

First things first, I love the Biblical references in the titles! :thumbsup:

I was indeed hoping for you to do so, more than for anyone else ;) .

Basic

It should be noted though that the main point of the Basic rank is to reintroduce the seasoned NeoLemmix player to the different game mechanics of NeoLemmix 1.43, and how NeoLemmix skills like the Glider behave differently with it (also referring to "Mene mene tekel u-parsin" here ;) ).

A player entirely new to NeoLemmix skills and objects should probably not start with Lemmicks as their first pack anyway, because then, they'd have to learn about all the standard NeoLemmix-elements in addition to the gimmicks, which will probably just end up with a complete sensory overload :D .

So it's really a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation here: Flopsy could have done without the non-gimmick levels entirely, but seeing how much confusion climbing up the level sides is causing already, I guess it's important to include these levels that rely on this mechanic - without already introducing gimmicks on top of that. Yes, some levels teach you this the hard way, but on the other hand, that makes sure you remember it! ;)

Would be quite a bummer to get surprised by the solid level sides in e.g. the Cosmic rank, where a lemming climbing up the level side won't come down again, which can ruin your entire plan! :D .

Moist

Circular

The reason I like both radiation and slowfreeze however is not to annoy the player with getting the exact spot of assigning right, but rather because it allows to restrict the use of bombers and stoners to a certain area - namely, the distance of terrain the lemming can cover before the countdown reaches zero.

Pickup skills can only do that with very strict sequencing, because once collected, they can be assigned anywhere. A slowfreeze object is like a mean value, and 9 seconds to the left and to the right is the standard deviation :) . Everything which falls outside of that interval, the lemming can't use the stoner there.

Regarding the technical difficulties on the Twisted and the Suicidal rank: Perhaps it's down to the name? I created an entirely different folder for NeoLemmix 1.43, which is a bit of a waste because this way I also have a music folder in each of them, which obviously takes up more space. However, that allows for a NeoLemmix.exe to be in each of them, too. Perhaps it's the name "NeoLemmix Old.exe" that causes the problem?

I'm only speculating here, I just tested both ranks again and everything works fine.

Although there were some levels in either Wafflemm's hard drive or namida's recycle bin-pack which I couldn't play either. But then again, these collections of levels aren't maintained as actual packs anymore, so I just attributed the error messages to that :/ .

Eternal

Ephemeral

Hasty

I'll watch the rest of your replays soon and comment on them later! :)

Remember that you can still use the arrow keys to jump to the next level if you get stuck anywhere! There's no need to stick to the level order just because there isn't a level list like in new NeoLemmix. You still don't need a level's access code to play it, fortunately ;).

Especially in the Bedlam rank, each level is designed as a challenge for itself, so feel free to jump around if you can't get past "rocket man"! :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:23:52 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 09:29:14 PM »
I did some leafing around and found some solutions that appear to be backroutes. Most of the pack is too hard for me to really delve that deeply into, especially considering there are a few troll levels thrown in. The entirety of the Hasty rank comes to mind. Can't even do Hasty 1 because I can't click that fast. Terrible. :devil:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 10:40:25 PM »
Thanks for playing, nin10doadict! :)

With regard to the Hasty rank: I will release an update soon which is going to include the announced mid-rank split between the gimmicks, similar to the Ephemeral rank. Now I have the opportunity to fix a couple of backroutes in the process, too :) .

The instant pickup skill-levels won't have Frenzy or Superlemming enabled, and they will make up the first half of the rank, i.e. putting the more "puzzly" levels at the beginning of the rank.

The "speedy levels" will then come at the end of the rank, levels 07 through 10, thereby making them more optional :) . Instant pickup skills won't be relevant on those levels, since these levels don't include any pickup skills anyway.

I'm announcing this already now, just to prevent Flopsy from possibly rage-quitting and skipping over the entire rank :D , in case he's already played that far.
My packs so far:

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
[NeoLemmix 1.43] Lemmicks - Lemmings with gimmicks! FIRST MAJOR UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
And the update is here! The link is still the same as in the starting post, so you can also just download the pack again from there!

Changelog
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:25:17 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix 1.43] Lemmicks - Lemmings with gimmicks! FIRST MAJOR UPDATE
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 03:13:40 AM »
Sadly I've taken the tough decision to stop LPing this pack, it is too difficult to play on this Laptop I'm using because the screen size is 1366x768 which makes the screen size odd and I have to resize all my recording tools to account for this.

Also I feel the pack is a little too over precise for NeoLemmix v1.43 and the levels are too difficult for me. I feel like I'm a victim of needing clear physics and a splat ruler which I've taken for granted.

Also because my laptop can only seem to handle short burst recording sessions, this seems to have worsened the issue and is having a severe effect on me being able to record any Lemmings videos full stop.

Either way, I have little interest in further recording videos for it and I feel like the difficulties described above are only going to shadow my judgement on the pack ultimately and I'd rather not rage quit (like I have in other packs) in the later ranks which is almost 110% guaranteed with the difficulties on top of this!

This is not Strato's fault and I encourage everyone to still play this pack as it is a very high quality pack, it's just the timing is wrong for me to play this pack right now. I would like to pick up playing it again if and when I get a better laptop which is not an obscure screen size but that might not be for a while yet.

The videos will continue until 8th May (Part 8) and I reached Level 9 in the Moist rank but then they will stop after that.

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 03:44:56 AM »
The best thing I could suggest for you flopsy is saving up and investing in a desktop rig.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
I would like to pick up playing it again if and when I get a better laptop which is not an obscure screen size but that might not be for a while yet.

1366x768 isn't "obscure", just "not well handled by older NeoLemmix". It's actually the most common resolution for laptop screens at the moment, with only 1920x1080 even coming close.

There might be an old commit of the source code somewhere in GitHub that's new enough to have the "use all available screen space" feature, but old enough to still have gimmick support. Not 100% sure on this, I forget which order those changes were implemented in. If there is, getting a build of that could be a possible solution here, although keep in mind it'll probably also have physics somewhere inbetween those of V1.43 and V1.47 overall.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Strato Incendus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »
Technical difficulties can absolutely suck the joy out of any game, for that matter, so I feel for you, Flopsy ;) . However, your computer only being able to do short recording sessions seems to be a general problem, not a Lemmicks-specific one, I guess? ;)

I'm having similar issues with my laptop as well; games from 2009 that used to run smoothly before now get really laggy frequently - probably because I was using Windows 7 back then, and Windows 10 takes up a lot more with regards to both space and RAM (it's not uncommon for 2 of my 4 GB RAM to be in permanent use by some kind of background processes, even when I'm not doing anything on my laptop). It's from mid-2010, after all, and both new games and new operating systems have the annoying tendency to exploit the most current hardware capacities to full extent just for the sake of it.

That's one of the things that brought me back to Lemmings, actually, because it's so light on the graphics but has great gameplay. Most modern games are the exact reverse, it seems :P .

So I hope you give this pack another shot, should you decide to get a new PC anyway (whenever that may be). I know I'll have to do that soon, even though I don't necessarily want to, because I'm not that interested in that many new games; but unfortunately, a lot of what I'm already using is constantly getting updated, too, until my laptop won't be able to keep up with that anymore either.

However, you made some comments with regards to gameplay as well, and that's something I might be able to fix :) - so let's get ahead:

Also I feel the pack is a little too over precise for NeoLemmix v1.43 and the levels are too difficult for me.

Can you name any examples? ;) As I've said before, "Do not fear" was not intended to be that precise and I wholeheartedly apologise for that one :( . I just solved it in the way that seemed most natural to me and had no idea I was just one pixel short of failing. But that level should be fixed by now, and you also told me you've solved it in the meantime.

So I guess you've found some more? ;)

Or are there some specific gimmicks you're having trouble with?

Because if you've played the Basic and the Moist rank, you haven't gotten into the level mechanic-warping ones yet.

Basic relies heavily on solid level sides to really hammer them home. And while you did overlook that rules change in several levels, I guess that would just make you more likely to remember it in the later ranks ;) .

Moist shortens your time for solving levels due to rising water, or exploits swimmer dynamics (like in "Here comes the flood", "Need a lift?" or "Baptised by the Holy Ghost"). But apart from that, it doesn't mess with the game mechanics.

If you're just intimidated by "Bathroom leak", remember that levels are only sorted by difficulty within the ranks. The ranks relative to each other are NOT increasing in difficulty. ;)
"Bathroom leak" is hands down one of the hardest levels in the pack because there is so much going on. That doesn't mean all the levels coming afterwards will be even more difficult - quite the opposite, actually ;) .
That's why I encourage jumping around in this pack, like one would jump around in "Lemmings 2: The Tribes":

I didn't want to create only easy "Rising water" levels, and only hardcore "Karoshi" levels, but easy and hard levels for each gimmick.

I feel like I'm a victim of needing clear physics and a splat ruler which I've taken for granted.

With regard to clear physics, I have largely refrained from using hidden traps here precisely for that reason (as I announced in the development thread).

There are a couple of levels using the Purple graphic set where the traps can be considered hidden - that's because these traps were designed to blend in with the terrain, like the boulder trap from the Dirt tileset (which is also used on one level I think, and therefore hard to spot).

With regard to the splat ruler, I'm not aware of any levels among those you've played so far (meaning up to "Bathroom leak") where fall height is a critical variable - drops should either be small enough to know they are not splat height, or so great that it's obvious they are splat height.

Then again, of course I don't know yet what kind of solutions you have come up with ;) .

The only levels where I could see fall height being difficult to assess are the several "We all fall down"-mockery levels throughout the pack. You will clearly be able to identify those by the way they look. In all those cases I can assure you that the terrain is placed exactly at splat height ;) , just like in the level that inspired them.

Well... I guess the pack is up for grabs, then? :evil: I didn't intend to "beat" Flopsy with this pack, least of all that early (in contrast to other level creators who openly proclaimed that "beating the player" is their goal ;) ). And I see that all the technical difficulties make this harder than it has to be. Most importantly, I don't want to "beat" any player by creating something that's just not fun to play.

But apparently, even with regard to pure puzzling difficulty, I have still managed to create something one of the long term and experienced forum members considers too hard for him, so... I guess that's some kind of achievement? :devil:

So... anyone else willing to test their skills on this - now reportedly difficult - pack in public in the meantime? :P

I only have a few select replays so far, so I can't really tell how hard most of what I've come up with here actually is... (well, except for the last levels of the Hasty rank, of course :D ).
My packs so far: