Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Casualemmings  (Read 21229 times)

Offline nin10doadict

• Guy who constantly misses the obvious
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Casualemmings
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
I probably will swap out the link, yes. And I suppose that the 'waiting a little while longer before posting' does serve the double purpose of giving more time to anybody who is still working through the current version.

Offline Nessy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 10:09:17 PM »
I started working on the talisman challenges today before the update! :thumbsup: I have attached my replies below.

Comments (click to show/hide)

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 12:28:19 AM »
I may have failed to update the descriptions for the talismans correctly. Often I will write the description, and then create another level or for some other reason change the location of the level that the description was about so the description then lies to you about what level the challenge is actually on. :-[
I'll be sure to iron that all out for the next release as well as check that the talisman challenges all work like they're supposed to.

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
Perky 20 makes the game crash for me, with this error: "ObtainTerrain loop on "cattrap:0"". (An earlier level with the cat traps played fine.) Nepster tells me he can't fix this and I should just notify you :P

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 07:19:44 PM »
This error occurs when the game tries to load the first terrain piece (with index 0) of the cattrap style, but this piece doesn't exist.
Try to load your level in the editor and click on "Tools->Validate Level" and if issues are listed, then click "Fix all". This should (hopefully) take care of the error.

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 09:00:55 PM »
Odd. Opening up said level in the editor and pressing 'Validate level' shows no errors... I think I might know the problem though. I probably added the cattrap style to the level pack so I could use the cat traps (as the style was originally just that object) and then later changed it by adding the terrain pieces in for Perky 20, but forgot to add the updated version of the style into the pack. I'll be sure to fix this before the next release.

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »
Version 1.1 is out now!
Check the first post in the topic for the updated .nxp and music pack.
I said I would add 5 levels, but I ended up adding 15. Also fixed some backroutes, shuffled levels around, and more.

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2017, 02:17:59 AM »
I've already made some changes to Power Core, but I'll wait to update this level pack until I get feedback on all of the new levels. I'd rather release a fix to all the broken parts at the same time.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »
I had played through the first rank of the original version when you uploaded the update, so I did the first rank again. With a few exceptions (one of them being the "Strato style"-level ;) , and of course "Look at them shimmy!" ), I've made it through the first two ranks thus far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Btw, I noticed we tend to give our levels the same names occasionally! :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:27:56 AM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2017, 11:38:28 PM »
'Sewer rodents' is a very open ended and easy level. Pretty much any route works, and the one you found is pretty close to the talisman solution.
'Super Mecha Death Gators' indeed has some trickery. You will have to sack a bunch of Lemmings, but if 99 RR isn't tight enough to get them through, then that means...? ;)
'Service with a smile' does have some pixel precision, but I don't really see how to work that out. I could just turn down the release rate to take off some pressure, but I think that makes things a little too simple.
'If only they could dig' has a solution that should be evident quickly if you've played this type of level before. If you haven't, then it's easy to forget about a certain tool you have at your disposal that generally isn't useful.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 02:13:56 AM »
I will be streaming Casualemmings tomorrow at 7:30PM EST on Twitch (and the link to my channel is in in my signature). Hope to see you all there!
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Online Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 11:29:15 PM »
Finished the first three ranks. Mostly these are pretty fun, easy levels, with a few exceptions. Some comments and replays:

Perky 8: Express air-evator: Placing the digger correctly is horrible trial-and-error.
Twitchy 8: A fair trade? Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn....
Twitchy 10: To each his own: This was far harder than the rest of the rank; and in the end my solution didn't use all the exits.
Twitchy 13: Janky devices: If the last bomber is slightly misplaced, some lemmings get stuck in the mesh. I'm not entirely sure why this happens.
Twitchy 14: Me, myself and Lem: Nice cloner level. However, the splitters seemed to add nothing except making it take longer for the crowd to exit.
Twitchy 15: Mount Lemerest: Really tedious. At least there was a bit of a puzzle in that you had to conserve builders. Then the last builder on the right side turns out to be super-precise, with only one possible starting pixel where he won't hit his head and will be able to get up (which you can't see from the skill shadow because you have to turn him with a blocker that isn't placed yet). And finally, just one walker short of saving 100% :(
Twitchy 16: Hero's proof: Abuse of NeoLemmix's super-lenient steel detection. Feels backroutish, but I can't see any other way to do it.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »
Here are my replays of everything I could solve so far - and I still needed some help from Wafflemm's stream here and there ;) .

One general thing I noticed, which is just a matter of aesthetitcs and personal preference for them, but the dimensions of your level with regard to height and width seem to vary a lot, so oftentimes there are grey edges somewhere and the player has to zoom in pretty closely to remove them. To me this makes the levels look more "casual" than they actually are from a puzzling standpoint ;) ; especially the twitchy and hyper levels are legitimate professional stuff, so making the dimensions of the level at least standard screen size in my view would give this pack a much more fitting, "professional" appearance.

When overhauling PARALEMS, I deliberately went ahead and extended the width of each level which had only had a width of 320 pixels before to at least 400 or so, to make the levels match widescreen formats. Luckily, one can move around the entire level within the margins by holding down STRG and drawing a selection box around everything - took me a while to find that out, I had always tried to draw selection boxes just using the mouse before, and since that didn't work, I ended up counting the number of STRG-leaps or pixels I moved each tile when I had to displace an entire section of a level :D .

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:37:15 PM by Strato Incendus »
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 05:05:28 AM »
Just did the first rank. Not much special to note about it; fairly easy, as advertised, though the pickup skill level was probably the hardest in the rank (though that may be because I for some reason didn't realize for quite some time what the climber was for).
It also took me a bit to think to backwards framestep on the level where the lemmings die near-instantaneously. If I used the restart button they'd die before I had a chance to pause the game.

You might want to check the level that introduces swimmers, though... I'm assuming you were supposed to use the swimmers in the solution (the rest of the introductory levels seemed to force you to use the skill that was introduced) but I was definitely able to solve it without swimmers. (I also solved it using a swimmer, so there should be two replays for that level).

Offline nin10doadict

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
I've been overhauling some levels to fix more backroutes and redesign some of the weaker levels. "Sewer Rodents" for example will still be solvable without swimmers but harder to do so, and "Sewage Shaft" will be greatly shortened to cut out the pointless fluff. The levels will also be getting reordered again; levels like "Pickup sticks" will be moving closer to the end of their ranks.