Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Stampede  (Read 36173 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Stampede
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 04:53:35 AM »
Played through Crazy now.

Video is here (I also quickly went over the replays for Tame): https://youtu.be/N4NcY6hjASU
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2017, 06:45:59 PM »
Version 10 is here!

Pillar Killer: reduced the RR to 1.
Bombing For Lemmings: Replaced with a new level.
edit: Wild Canyon: fixed a piece of steel that was peaking out of the terrain in a bad spot.

:compat-ver-10-13::compat-yes:

Thanks for doing a video play-through Namida, I can't wait to see the rest!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:40:11 PM by bulletride »

Offline joshescue18

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2017, 10:21:06 PM »
I solved all of the levels.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 09:22:11 PM »
Watched them all and minus a few of the early Wicked levels they all look to be correct/acceptable enough solutions. Your hot springs cove solution could have actually saved a builder so I may have to look into fixing that when I get the chance. May make some minor adjustments to Lets Get To The Bottom of This as well. Thanks for the replays!

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »
A bit late to the party, but here's how I solved 41/50 levels from the most updated version.

Lemmings Stampede is completely worth of all praise it gets, even though there was not that many comments in the topic already so people probably considered the high quality as self-evident? :P Anyway, good BulletRide, good. :)

A little summary:
This is a typical bulletride level: A plethora of possible approaches, but hardly any work.

It always warms my heart when even the easy levels are designed to be enjoyable puzzles, obviously hard levels tend to get the most attention (for example, shoutouts for Tame10: Bundle Up Your Lemmings! and Crazy9: Green Valley).

Now that the levels have been re-ordered few times, I can't interpret the levels from some people's earlier comments because levels are referred with their numbers, not with their titles. Always a bit shame. :P Anyway, the difficulty curve was really enjoyable for the most parts. The Havoc Afterthought (part 2) was the first one I solved, having learned a lot trying the Wild Afterthought (part 1). Havoc2: Polar Pass I consider really easy for its place, could be in the Wild rating in my opinion. Only three levels were familiar for me from your 10 level Lemmix packs: Crazy10: Deep Six, Wicked3: Let's Get To The Bottom Of This! and Havoc7: When Life Gives You Lemmings. My solutions to those three were now the same as years ago.

EDIT: Oh yea, very well used custom music there, too. Very fitting. I especially liked the one that played at least in Tame3: Wind Breaker and Crazy3: Poison Ivy. And how could I not mention that freaking amazing JJ2 music piece "A Cold Day in Heck" that plays in Wild6: Cool Steel and Wicked6: Santa's Little Helpers? Epicness.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 12:00:12 AM by Akseli »

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
Thanks for the replays Akseli! I haven't had much time for lemmings recently but I will definitely have to get another update done soon to fix some back routes.

I have thought about moving down Polar Pass to Wicked but I never could decide which level I would move to Havoc instead. I feel like most of the Wicked levels wouldn't be challenging enough but it is so hard to judge my own levels difficulty sometimes.

You had some unique solutions that I have not seen yet particularly Smoke Screen, Pits and Pitfalls, Bubbleless and Against the Grain. I may end up fixing the against the grain's solution but I will have to see!

When Life Gives You Lemmings was unintended,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
Exactly one year later, here's 7 more of my solutions (pack version V1-10), now 48/50 solved (Havoc 8: Precision and 9: Acid Washed Lemmings remain unsolved).

Comments (contain spoilers):

And if there's custom level fans out there who haven't played this level pack yet, what are you waiting for? It's fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:38:06 PM by Akseli »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2021, 05:10:03 AM »
Hello bulletride,

I completed this level pack sometime last year, so I'm just attaching my replays/solutions. This version of the level pack is likely not of much interest to anyone these days, particularly since I recently converted your level pack to New Formats NL, which you can find here: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5709.0, but I'm just doing this for historical/preservation purposes. I've also posted my solutions to my Youtube channel, as well as a level solving commentary video series of the New Formats conversion. If you search Lemmings Stampede on Youtube, it should pop up.

Although this is a difficult pack, and I had many struggles with it, this is still one of my favorite level packs of all time. Tame/Crazy weren't problems at all, though they do both get difficult near the end, especially the Crazy rank. Tame was still very much manageable even at the end of the rank. However, once I went into Wild, I was immediately majorly stumped on Wild 1. It took probably almost a good hour before I finally solved it. The rest of the Wild rank wasn't too bad, but this is pretty much the rank where the pack stops playing around and just stays in hard mode for the remainder of the pack.

Then, in Wicked, the next major roadblock for me was Wicked 5 - No Bones I couldn't solve it at the time I first played the pack, so I didn't come back to the pack until about a month or so later. When I did return, I still struggled, but I eventually found an extremely messy solution where it almost fails due to a builder skill assignment at the bottom, where there's only one possible position to build so that no one goes out to the left and drowns in the water. After that, the rest of the Wicked rank wasn't too bad, although I would say that Wicked 8 and Wicked 10 are quite easy for their positions that late in the rank.

Havoc was just very hard the entire way, save for Havoc 4 - Afterthought (part 2), which I honestly felt was easier than Wild 10, which is Afterthought (part 1). That's probably because I did try some stuff on the left side in part 1 before eventually finding the solution to it, which explains why I thought part 2 was easier. All the levels in Havoc were difficult for me, but they were quite satisfying to solve. In particular, Havoc 1, Havoc 2, Havoc 3, and Havoc 7 were the most satisfying. Havoc 7 - When Life Gives You Lemmings is probably my biggest favorite of the entire pack because of the very neat trick that's required at the very start. Havoc 10 - Wild Canyon also has some really neat tricks to it and was a really great level to round off the entire pack.

All the Tame levels were quite good, so the rank is quite solid for a first rank. Tame 10 - Bundle Up Your Lemmings! was my favorite in the entire rank. Really great level to end the rank. Same with Crazy, though my favorite is probably Crazy 5 - Christmas Cavern, for its really good design and fairly challenging level. Crazy 7 - Ice Caps was another hard one, though the most difficult is just managing the crowd so you don't lose too many. Crazy 10 - Deep Six is most fitting for the final level of the rank, as I found this one to be really hard. I ended up with a really messy and fiddly solution. I have seen easier solutions to it after I solved it.

In the Wild rank, the hardest levels for me were Wild 1 - A Walk In The Park, Wild 5 - Tunnel Trouble, and Wild 10. Wild 8 - Stainless Steel and Wild 9 - Ice Climbers were also difficult, but they weren't as hard as the others I listed. Wild 8 reminds me of Wicked 3 - This Corrosion from ONML, as the structure mostly resembles that level. For Wild 9, the most difficult is managing the crowd, especially with the very high RR. Wild 6 - Cool Steel was also another unusually difficult level, but that's because I mostly had trouble conceptualizing the solution in my mind. Wild 7 - The Bubbleless Bubble Level was also somewhat difficult, though maybe not as much as some of the ones I listed.

Besides Wicked 5, Wicked 1 - Magma Chamber, Wicked 6 - Santa's Little Helpers, and Wicked 9 - Shaky Foundations were also hard for me. Wicked 1 was a really great level to start off the rank, though. Wicked 6 was another good level as well.

Havoc 1 was another hard level to start off the rank, but it's one of my favorites. Havoc 2 - Polar Pass is also hard, but yet again another favorite of mine. Havoc 3 - A Not So Simple Puzzle is aptly titled, as it is a deceivingly difficult level despite being small and short. However, the puzzle itself is really good, and I especially like one of the tricks of releasing the blocker in this level. Havoc 6 - A Trap Well Sprung was another difficult one, although I might had made my life somewhat harder than it needed to be on it. Havoc 8 - Precision I use an extremely fiddly and very timing heavy trick that is absolutely not needed to solve it

Overall, excellent job with this pack. I like this pack a lot despite the high difficulty, and since it's one of my all-time favorite level packs, I decided to convert your level pack to an up-to-date format to New Formats NL. I believe there was talk about it being converted to New Formats in the last few years, but I'm actually surprised it hadn't been done until last week. Really, this is just a way to preserve your work and legacy because that's how good it is. I've definitely learned a lot of things here that have helped me a lot in solving other level packs. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0