Author Topic: Christmas 2016 Pack  (Read 12114 times)

Offline Crane

• View Profile
Christmas 2016 Pack
« on: December 10, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »
Hi guys.  This is very short-notice, but I'm considering putting together a community pack of maybe just 30 levels that consists of levels made out of the Holiday tileset, and maybe some levels converted from the Snow set if the traps can be removed or converted.  It's mostly so I can get to grips with the Flexi tools again so I can aid möbius with Revenge of the Lemmings when the time comes.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what levels to include?  I was thinking of:

- "Spiralling Snowstorm" by Clam Spammer
- "Someone must help us!" (aka. "A wave goodbye") Matthias Witt (converted from Snow tileset)
- "Ethereality" by Akseli
- That collaboration level in Picnic in Revenge of the Lemmings (with the 3 of 2013 changed to a 6).

Other possibilities (which might be questionable but could work as filler, plus I was one of the few people who didn't play Oh No! More Lemmings until late on into my level design history, which is why so few of my levels use those tilesets - plus I didn't have the graphics files to use with CUSTLEMM):

- Chill out! (Wicked 5)
- Race against the cliches (Havoc 4)

I haven't been able to test it, but when mixing tilesets together (e.g. to use the Snow traps or one-way arrows in the Holiday tileset), do the Santa lemmings have working Drowner and Frier animations?

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
Re: Christmas 2016 Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:05:16 PM »
A Christmas pack is a great idea! I had never used the Christmas set before so I went ahead and threw together a couple of levels. Feel free to use them for this pack if you wish! If you like them I can maybe make a few more.

edit: ended up making 2 more levels
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:02:11 PM by BulletRide »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 01:49:41 AM »
and maybe some levels converted from the Snow set if the traps can be removed or converted.

Assuming you're using NeoLemmix (or even SuperLemmini, if I'm not mistaken), the Xmas set has the Snow trap / iceblower / water added to it - and in NeoLemmix's case (but not SuperLemmini's), graphic sets can be mixed together in a single level these days anyway. :P (You could pretty much just change the "primary" graphic set to Xmas, replace the icicle trap with the one from the Xmas set (so it shows a Santa lemming when killing), replace the windows and exits, and add a few Xmas-y decorations, and bam, your Snow level is now a Xmas level.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:34:50 AM »
I hope you'll include Vignette (from Revenge of the Lemmings) as it's the only level I've made that's eligible ;)

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:57:25 AM »
You could also ask people if they want to make a Christmas themed level specifically for this pack. I'd be interested in doing so, as making a Christmas level would be fun without needing to make a whole pack in the process.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »
I hope you'll include Vignette (from Revenge of the Lemmings) as it's the only level I've made that's eligible ;)
Oh absolutely.  I had that one in mind too!

If anyone would like to make a Christmas level specifically for this, please go right ahead.  Heck, I could probably use some Fun/Tricky-like ones with 20 of everything to start it off, or something truly unique.

This week I'll see if I can get to grips with the tools.

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42:54 AM »
Here is another one... This is probably a tricky-ish level. More builders can be added as well to make it easier. Don't feel pressured to use all of mine lol I can use the leftovers in another pack.

Offline Colorful Arty

• You are so loved!
    • View Profile
    • Colorful Arty's Youtube Page
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 04:40:42 AM »
Do these levels HAVE to use the xmas or snow tilesets, or could they be any as long as there is a Christmas theme to them? For example, the abstract set has red and green pieces which could be used to make a festive level.
My Youtube channel where I let's play games with family-friendly commentary:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiRPZ5j87ft_clSRLFCESQA

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/colorfularty

My levelpack: SubLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4942.0
For Old formats NeoLemmix: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2787.0
For SuperLemmini: http://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=2704.0

My levelpack: ArtLems
For New formats NeoLemmix: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=4583.0

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 07:02:40 AM »
I hope some of my Holiday Lemmings '95 levels will make the cut. Although these levels would have to be transported from Lemmix - here is the link.

Unfortuntely I can't seem to play BulletRide's level pack. I can't extract that RAR file. :( I played the Icecaps level though. Although very easy, the horizontal poles look neat as a top for pillars.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:06:15 AM »
Not to diverge into sth off-topic but, Coincidentally I've been working on a Holiday level pack of my own I have a few things to say

Do these levels HAVE to use the xmas or snow tilesets, or could they be any as long as there is a Christmas theme to them? For example, the abstract set has red and green pieces which could be used to make a festive level.
I have been using that in my pack, a Colorful tileset can make good holiday levels, infact its my favorite of the LPV tiles

I hope some of my Holiday Lemmings '95 levels will make the cut. Although these levels would have to be transported from Lemmix - here is the link.

Unfortuntely I can't seem to play BulletRide's level pack. I can't extract that RAR file. :( I played the Icecaps level though. Although very easy, the horizontal poles look neat as a top for pillars.
I will probably look at this as well, If little to none make it, Why not Convert them into a .nxp file?

I may look at some levels for inspiration, but if anything, a collab level would be nice and a Hard-for-flopsy level too
But one thing i would go against is Reusing an official level to fill spots, Noy really a fan of that, Especially if brand new level can be made

Offline bulletride

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 08:00:57 PM »

I downloaded your Christmas pack and was confused because it appeared as the marble tile set. I must have glazed over that it hasn't been converted yet lol.

I put my levels in a NXP so its easier to play them. Made a few changes...

I removed a blocker and made the save percentage stricter on Shakey Foundations to make it a bit more challenging. I also removed the blockers and a few builders from Ice Caps. Still should be super easy but a bit less so :p

If anyone has played Hit The Slopes, do you think it would more interesting without miners?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:40:38 PM by BulletRide »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 10:36:43 PM »

I downloaded your Christmas pack and was confused because it appeared as the marble tile set. I must have glazed over that it hasn't been converted yet lol.

Whoops! I totally forgot these were still based originally from the marble set! :-[ Tomorrow morning I will look into this and see if I can convert them.

Edit: It is possible, but it's going to take ages to get all of them done. (Shame you can't just cut and paste the layout like you could with Lemmix :() I had to convert each terrain and object one-by-one. So, I'll just submit two levels: 'Christmas Cross' because it's one of my favourites and 'Ship trip to the caves' because of the nice layout.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:43:41 AM by Minim »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
Well, I've converted my first level for this pack, "Someone must help us!", but I also applied some backroute fixes since there were solutions that, if I recall correctly, don't use the author's intended mechanic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The time limit reduction forces a particular solution, only because another one is so painfully tight with the 4-minute limit that it can come off as unfair.  However, does it appear and play okay to everyone else?

P.S. I can't seem to extract levels from NXP files, or even open them in the editor.  Is this intended?
P.P.S. As for "Hit the slopes", it's a fairly straightforward level for the likes of us, and completing it without miners isn't too much more difficult - it just requires thoughtful positioning of the diggers.  However, I can make "No miners" a talisman.

ADDENDUM: Also converted Vignette.  I hope it's to your approval, Proxima.  Admittedly I added 2 bombers to the skill set, just to be cruel! I'll remove them though if I'm taking too many liberties.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:21:49 PM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 11:52:55 PM »
I think I backrouted Christmas Cross - not sure.  I didn't use the Blocker.  "Ship trip to the caves" is a fairly nice Taxing-like level, although I would wonder if it's worth reducing the number of Builders from 10 to 5.  Here are my solutions anyway (using 5 Builders, 2 Bashers and saving 100% on "Ship trip to the caves").

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 03:35:50 AM »
I've got ten levels so far (I haven't picked out the levels from BulletRide's NXP file yet, but I want to, because "Christmas Cavern" is absolutely gorgeous) and made an NXP file.  Ideally I want to make a standalone Flexi executable of it.

Oh, namida, there's a bug with NeoLemmix.  It doesn't seem to honour custom skill icons (I put in the Christmas ones, but it still draws the regular ones)