Author Topic: Bits of Levels You Can Finish!  (Read 32884 times)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
Bits of Levels You Can Finish!
« on: September 27, 2016, 04:04:00 AM »
[let me know if you can think of a better name for the topic]

Sometimes I create partial terrain for a level and can't decide where I want to go with a level. Other times I come up with something that looks nice but I don't really know what to do with it after.

I had a thought that it might be an interesting idea to post anything you don't intend on finishing yourself, the intent being that others may take what you started and make something out of it.
 (if you do this it would probably be polite to list the original author as a co-author, though :))

The attached terrain here is in a fairly preliminary state. The original concept I had for the level was that it was going to involve splitters and multiple tilesets, with some lemmings being thrown to the fire side and some lemmings going to the other side (it probably would have ended up being marble). But I wasn't really sure what I was trying to do for the puzzle aspect and lost sight of the concept fairly early on.  I might resume development on the level but if I do I'm going to do it from scratch.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
Re: Bits of Levels You Can Finish!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »
I think this topic belongs more in Lemmings Discussion than Level Design since Level Design is only for level theory, what makes a good level, and what makes a good community pack.

Anyway, I have a HUGE pile of partially completed levels. I'll have to pick which ones people can use, then I'll post them on this topic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:54:27 PM by Wafflem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 02:53:00 PM »
Well, there's my Recycle Bin pack which contains most (if not all) of the levels that have been removed from my packs for various reasons - low quality, reliance on removed features, and so on. The majority come from Lemmings Plus (primarily the former LPII and LPIII Bonus Packs), but some are from Doomsday Lemmings II or the NeoLemmix Introduction Pack.

Most of the ones that remain functional on new versions but simply their packs don't exist anymore, I plan to integrate into Lemmings Plus Twists. The remainder I might use in the future, re-using the existing maps as part of new levels. But if anyone else wants to use them, go ahead. (You can get the LVL files via the usual mass dump.)
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 11:58:15 PM »
ooh ooh! I'll take 'em! I'll take 'em! :D

I'm lazy and would love to finish something that's already half way done. :P

Also I probably have some of my own that I should post here too. In a couple of days I'll try to get some together.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 03:17:32 PM »
I put together this map while testing the new quick-style-select for graphic set mixing in editor V1.48-B. I don't have any plans to use this for anything, so if someone else would like to use it, go ahead!

For those who aren't completely up to date on NeoLemmix versions; this should work fine with V1.47n, but it will not work with V1.43n.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
While cleaning out one of my computers, I've managed to compile a bunch of partial levels, some of which are VERY incomplete, others of which turned out to be really bad levels. As many others have said, I don't mind whatever you do with them, even changing the level titles are fine with me. The only thing I ask is that you credit me as a co-author when making the levels.

Some of my levels rely on graphics not part of auto-downloadable: System Test and jarv156_future. They are included in the ZIP.

Expect even more in the future. :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:47:46 PM by Wafflem »

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 03:36:17 AM »
Here are 146 more bits of levels! Most of these levels were gimmick levels that I was planning to make, and most of these were also meant to be used as examples of bugs that occur in levels. Most of these were also meant to be Lemmingbytes levels but never happened.

I also have levels that rely on Cheapo graphic sets, but I'll just save those for a future batch. :)

Enjoy this batch. I have even more for the future. :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:12:48 PM by Wafflem »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
Sorry, but the folder is completely empty! :P
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »
Thanks, fixed! :)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
Batch 3 is up!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:46:45 PM by Wafflem »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 08:58:51 AM »
the following graphic sets are missing from batch 3 (presumably because they are probably cheapo sets)

racerlem
dl_hitech
hydra1
orig-blue
orig-dirt
orig-columns
michaelxtnd
sky_dl
orig-fire
gigalem_hideout
concept
orig-pink

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »
concept, orig-blue, orig-columns, orig-dirt and racerlem are in the Batch 3 ZIP (not sure if you put the graphic sets in the styles folder). gigalem_hideout is in the NeoLemmix auto-downloadable.

The rest you've mentioned, I've uploaded those to the Batch 3 post. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:54:49 PM by Wafflem »

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »
I went through my very old LemEdit generated and more than 7 year old levels and saved them in a NeoLemmix compatible way. The file "ModifiedL1Levels.zip" (20 levels) contains modifications of levels from the original Lemmings games (mostly L1) and the file "OldOwnLevels.zip" (22 levels) contains levels with new terrain.
All of them are pretty much complete levels that can be played (though some may be impossible in NeoLemmix), but I don't plan to use them in any way. So feel free to take whatever you need and transform them into higher quality stuff. Have fun!

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
Here's Batch 4 of 98 more unfinished levels!

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
  • Lix Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 02:04:38 AM »
Just thought I'd add a note to this topic that one whole rank in the upcoming SEB Lems pack was made entirely off the unfinished levels provided in this topic.

Thanks a lot for providing these levels and rest assured that they are being put to good use :)