Author Topic: Family Feud 2015  (Read 138735 times)

Offline Quizmaster

• We have asked 100 people...
    • View Profile
Re: Family Feud 2015
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:35 AM »
Family Feud Musical Special answers

OK musicians. Have you hit the high notes this week? Let's take a look...

1. Name a British rock group
Beatles (607, Akseli, geoo, Minim, NaOH) (1 point)
Oasis (namida) (0.2 points)
Rolling Stones (Simon) (0.2 points)

2. Name a US girl group
Pussycat Dolls (Akseli, Minim) (1 point)
1 Girl Nation (geoo) (0.5 points)
Destiny's Child (namida) (0.5 points)
Bangles (NaOH) (0.5 points)
TLC (Simon) (0.5 points)
Spice Girls (607) (0 points) Sorry, 607; but Spice Girls are from the UK.

3. Name an instrument frequently used as background music in horror films.
Violin (geoo, Minim, NaOH) (1 point)
Piano (607, Akseli) (0.67 points)
Synth (namida) (0.33 points)
Tuba (Simon) (0.33 points)

4. Name a Nursery rhyme
London Bridge is Falling Down (Akseli, Minim, namida) (1 point)
Ten Green Bottles (607, Simon) (0.67 points)
Mary Had a Laser Bat Little Lamb (geoo, NaOH) (0.67 points)

5. Name a song in the Lemmings game aside from the Can Can.
Coming round the Mountain (geoo, Minim, NaOH) (1 point)
London Bridge is Falling Down (Akseli, namida) (0.67 points)
Ten green Lemmings (607, Simon) (0.67 points)

6. Name a Michael Jackson song.
Thriller (607, Akseli, geoo, Minim, NaOH) (1 point)
Beat It (Simon) (0.2 points)
Billie Jean (namida) (0.2 points)

7. Name a song that includes a number in the title
One, by 3 Dog Night (607) (1 point)
One More Night by Phil Collins (Akseli) (1 point)
One way or Another by Blondie (Minim) (1 point)
Zero by the Smashing Pumpkins (geoo) (0.33 points)
21 Guns by Green Day (namida) (0.33 points)
Waltz #2 by Elliot Smith (NaOH) (0.33 points)
Ten Green Bottles (Simon) (0.33 points)

8. Name a Beethoven compsition.

Everyone gets 1 point for their answer except for Simon, who chose Symphony No 5 and thus gets 0.5 points.

As for everyone else:
Symphony No 9 (607, geoo)
Piano Sonata No. 14/Moonlight Sonata (Akseli, namida)
Fur Elise (Minim, NaOH)

9. You are writing a new song called "Rendezvous at the Mountain". Complete the first line of the first verse "I had a ..."

Rendezvous at the Mountain (607, Akseli, geoo, NaOH, and Simon) (1 point)
Girl (Minim) (0.2 points)
Pair of groups of lemmings (namida) (0.2 points)

That was a question that turned out to be very interesting indeed, because namida thought every other answer was different, but many of them decided to go for the title itself.

10. Composing a song and are playing the chords for the chorus.

Second Chord

F (Minim, NaOH, Simon) (1 point)
Dm7 (607, Akseli) (0.67 points)
C (geoo) (0.33 points)
Em (namida) (0.33 points)

Third Chord

Em (Akseli, Minim) (1 point)
G7 (geoo, namida) (1 point)
C (NaOH, Simon) (1 point)
F (607) (0.5 points)

Putting the chords together in order, NaOH and Simon's chords are exactly the same order, so they receive 2 extra points. Everyone else gets 0.

11. Time for a complete change of scenario! Each participant is a conductor in their own orchestra... Choose an order for the instruments to be played

Here's what we came up with
607: Violin, Trumpet, Piano (Day 1 and Day 8)
Akseli: Piano, Violin, Trumpet (Day 2, etc.)
geoo: Violin, Trumpet, Piano
Minim: Violin, Piano, Trumpet
namida: Violin, Trumpet, Piano
NaOH: Trumpet, Piano, Violin
Simon: Piano, Violin, Trumpet

Minim and NaOH get 2 points for playing a unique order. The rest of us get 1 point for playing an order identical to another player, but not immediately after anyone else's.

So here are the final scores!

13.5 (NaOH)
12.2 (Minim)
11.01 points (Akseli)
9.83 points (geoo)
9.4 points (Simon)
9.18 points (607)
6.76 points (namida)

We have a female winner! Congratulations NaOH!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 06:35:36 AM by Quizmaster »

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »
Generally, for feud-scoring questions, it's only based on the popularity of the answer, not whether it's factually correct (see the case of "Shark" being the response to "Name a venomous animal" in the previous feud). So, 607 should still have gotten 0.5 points on Question 2.
Question 3, you've scored NaOH twice; once for 1 point and once for 0.33 points. (EDIT: also seems you didn't list me... :P)

The Question 2 would put 607 ahead of Simon; Question 3 won't change NaOH being in first place.

Also, clearly, music is not my talent... :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:51:34 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2015, 09:29:15 AM »
And once again, I accidentally answered a question with an answer that technically wasn't correct :P
I still should've gotten 0.5 points though, I think.

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2015, 09:55:16 AM »
Could somebody tell me who did round 2 of this year's? I'd like to pm him for help, if he wants to help.
I'm learning Excel now, but I'm still having some problems with the robots python thing. (seems like many people on this forums are great with computers!)

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2015, 11:50:35 AM »
Could somebody tell me who did round 2 of this year's? I'd like to pm him for help, if he wants to help.
I'm learning Excel now, but I'm still having some problems with the robots python thing. (seems like many people on this forums are great with computers!)

Second round was by geoo.

Since I don't know exactly what help you need with the spreadshet, here's the overall process.
  • Fill out the excel form, such that it computes all scores correctly. The python script will only rearrange, not compute.
  • Save excel sheet in .csv format, with comma , as separator.
  • Have the python script post.py in the same folder as the csv file. Edit the script, find the line
    with open("somefilename.csv", 'r') as csvfile:
    and replace somefilename.csv with your filename.
  • Open a shell, navigate to the dir, then run: python post.py > myoutput.txt
The script could be made a little easier for mouse pushers: #!python, take first argument as filename, and output to something like firstargument-results.txt. Then, they could drag a csv file onto the script icon.

-- Simon

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
Not that it changes anything, but I answered Beatles for Q1, probably somebody else with Rolling Stones.

I was tempted to go with Spice Girls too, but then I looked it up to see they were British. Shouldn't have looked up... :P
Yeah 607 should get his 0.5 points.

Re: my python script: note that you need to have python installed in order to run it, and then you need to run it via commandline (cmd).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:00:40 PM by geoo »

Offline grams88

• Just one more thing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2015, 04:55:01 PM »
Welldone to yourself Naoh for winning. :thumbsup:

For the question that mentioned (Mention a song that contains a number in the title) I bet Minim was thinking about the lemmings level that made that reference to the Blondie song, (One way or Another) :laugh:

I liked the reference in oh no more lemmings, the very first level in Havoc was tubular lemmings which referenced one of my favourite music of all time.

I remember doing spreadsheets back in college and it took me a long time how to figure out how to highlight certain cells that were not next to each other. I feel silly admitting that but eventually I found out as you had to hold down the (Ctrl button) to highlight other cells.

Offline NaOH

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2015, 07:43:04 PM »
Hooray, I'm glad I can break up the winning streaks of some certain other members. :lix-suspicious:

Question 11 seemed a little overbalanced points-wise, although it would seem it didn't affect the final outcomes at all. (Had Minim and I received 1 point instead of 2, the order would be the same.) My intuition was that nobody would pick trumpet for the first solo, I'm not sure if I was just lucky or really on to something there.

Question 10: did anybody else play the chords to see what sounded good? I picked C and F because (C,F,G) are by far the most overused chords in the key of C. There are many, many pop songs which only have those chords. :lix-yawn:

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2015, 10:51:05 PM »
Alright, well, I guess we need to start another round! So, I quite like the previous idea of going for a certain theme, so I'm going to stick with that, and make this one gaming-themed! (I'm too lazy to change the avatar, though. xD)
So, without further ado, here's our questions! And I'll try to make them a bit less open to a huge variety of answers this time. ;P

This feud will resolve at (approximately) whatever point comes later - one week from posting it, or 48 hours without any new answers being received.

Standard Scoring

1. Name a handheld console that is not made by Nintendo.
2. Name a digital download provider of video games.
3. Name a gaming platform for which the games generally are on DVD discs.
4. Name a series of RPG games.
5. Name a series of first-person shooter games.
6. Name a company that formerly made consoles but does not anymore.
7. Name an IRS game that is not in the Lemmings series. (EDIT: IRS basically means "Lemmings-like")
8. Name a game / series primarily based around music.
9. Name a game in the Lemmings series other than the original Lemmings itself.
10. Name a non-directional button you might find on a console controller.

Non-Standard Scoring

11. You are developing a game for a Playstation system. You want to add a cheat code that does... something awesome; what it does is not important here. The code is to be four buttons long, using only the X, Square, Triangle and Circle buttons. You may use the same button more than once.

Scoring:
- For each position where no one else picked the same button as you, you gain 0.5 points.
- If any button appears twice in your code, you lose 0.25 points. (If you have two buttons that both appear twice, eg. if your code is X, Square, X, Square, you lose 0.5)
- If any button appears three times in your code, you lose 0.75 points. (This is instead of, not in addition to, the penalty for it appearing twice.)
- If two (or more) people have three positions where both have the same button (eg: X, Square, Circle, Square; vs X, Triangle, Circle, Square), both lose 1 point.
- If two (or more) people have exactly the same code, both lose 2 points (instead of the three-same penalty, not as well as it).

** There is no extra penalty for having the same button four times; just the same as the penalty for having it three times.

12. Pick three guesses as to what codes you think other people might pick for question 11.

Scoring:
- If you match at least one code that someone else (not yourself) chose for question 11, you gain 1.5 points.
- For every additional guess that matches someone's code (whether it's the same code, if 2+ people picked it, or a different one), you gain another 0.25 points.

To clarify, one of your guesses may be the same as your code for Q11, but you don't gain points for guessing your own code - you'd only gain points for it if someone else also picked that code.

Good luck everyone! :)

EDIT: Fixed an example that didn't quite fit. No changes to the questions themselves though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:31:58 PM by namida »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2015, 07:18:28 PM »
Submitted all my answers except for Q7. I never heard of an IRS game. I don't even understand what IRS means. I tried a Google search but couldn't find anything. Could someone please give me an example to help me out?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Online Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2015, 07:26:24 PM »
IRS = Interactive Rodent Simulation = a game like Lemmings.

The term is extremely rare; basically only this forum uses it, and the 1994 DOS game Hamsters.

(Current feud is by namida, he hasn't changed the avatar.)

-- Simon

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »
Thanks for your help, Simon! 8-) Initially my first Google search came up with "The IRS Benefits Match-up game" from an American Jobs website. I also found that it stood for "Internal Revenue service" which I thought had no relation to video games anyway. I got completely lost.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2015, 05:22:52 AM »
Where is everyone? We only have six people who've submitted answers so far... T_T

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2015, 10:10:58 AM »
Where is everyone? We only have six people who've submitted answers so far... T_T
A reason for that might be that there are quite a few questions which require some research, instead of generic questions that anyone can answer. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but to some people that might be a problem.

Offline Quizmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2015, 12:38:12 AM »
Normally under the "one week from open / 48 hours from last entry" the entries would be closed now, but I have a fair bit of other stuff to do today so I might leave this going until tomorrow.

Only had 7 entries so far, so hopefully also this means a few more come in. :)

EDIT: Okay, I'm scoring this up now. Already done the standard scoring questions, doing Q11 and Q12 now.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:56:00 PM by Quizmaster »