Poll

Which level did you find harder?

Lemmings Plus Omega II, Sharp 18 "Insanity Plea"
3 (50%)
Lemmings Plus Alpha, Obliteration 14 "Wasted Talent"
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus Series  (Read 131280 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: [Fangames] Lemmings Plus Series
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2015, 03:08:35 AM »
Alright... as you all may know, a handful of levels in the Lemmings Plus III bonus pack are currently never-been-beaten.

I just receieved replays of solutions to half of these.

The ones that still remain unbeaten are Moonwalk 5, Teamwork 5, Teamwork 7 and Party 6. (The ones that no longer remain unbeaten are Moonwalk 6, Moonwalk 7, Teamwork 6 and Party 7.)

Outside of Lemmings Plus IV (in which all levels were beaten by testers during the testing period, but a handful had backroute fixes between that and release with the levels not being solved again since then), those are the only remaining levels in the series which are unsolved.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:19:40 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2015, 03:55:46 PM »
Music always just continues playing, and restarts when I press S. I'm on Windows 7.
Also, when sound does work, the sound for the builder nearly running out of stairs sounds quite odd, and much different than what I think it should.

On a note about the game: I think the difficulty level increased a lot from Wimpy 10 onward. Some of them may be because I don't have the intended solution, but I think that compared to Wimpy 1-9 10-14 are suddenly quite hard. Not that that's a problem, I just hadn't expected it, reading this.
Glad to hear you're liking it! :D Wimpy isn't much harder for the most part, but the levels do tend to be a bit longer. Once you get to Medi, that's where the difficulty starts to pick up a bit. :)
Do you have videos of these levels' intended solutions on YouTube? I'm really wondering about A Magician Would Be Handy, because I'm not sure if I did it the correct way. I saved 69 Lemmings out of 40 needed though, so I think I did good. :)

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2015, 04:09:06 PM »
Namida's channel where he has a playthrough:  https: //www.youtube.com/user/jihoon4242

My solutions to the pack can be found here:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Elfo3E1jTl-SHlOy97kwA:

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2015, 06:19:46 PM »
In general, if a level gives you a large amount of skills (like that one does), it probably doesn't have a single intended solution, but is just a matter of "do anything that works". :) Even some of the levels with not-so-huge skillsets are of that nature.

Up to the point you're up to, the only level that has a very precise intended solution is Wimpy 12 "Russian Rescue", and that one has never been backrouted so far so I'd be very surprised if any backroutes showed up now.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2015, 07:16:55 PM »
From now on I should save a replay at moments like that, so I could show you my way of solving it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, I liked Russian Rescue.

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »
I would have voted for Lemmings Plus Omega, but unfortunately that became a side series. I felt that Lemmings Plus Omega is the best of all because the difficulty level is right for me, the LPII and LPIII go very well together, all the gimmicks/frenzies are in one rank, and the levels overall do an excellent job at helping me get accustomed to the NeoLemmix skills. I also liked that there were repeats in the game. Though I was disappointed at the extreme lack of locked exit puzzles.

I felt it didn't make sense for it to become a side series, because what if, say, a newcomer to NeoLemmix and Lemmings Plus goes straight to LPIV from LPIII, is unaware of the new skills, and skips the side series, then they suddenly see skills that are unfamiliar to them?

LPO would have worked as LPIV, while LPIV would have worked as LPV. Then again, there is the upcoming NeoLemmix Introduction Pack.

EDIT: Well, at least it appears in the side entry poll. It should be obvious what I voted for :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:36:59 PM by DynaLem »
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2015, 05:14:19 AM »
All of the Lemmings Plus packs have now been updated to Player V1.35n-C. (NeoLemmix website links are still uploading; DropBox links have been updated fully.)

In regards to why LPO isn't LPIV; mainly, because it doesn't follow the same structure as LPII, LPIII and LPIV do (ie: new graphic sets, few repeats, etc). You may recall that the original intention was to have a "Lemmings Plus III Part 2", which was eventually split into Lemmings Plus III Bonus Pack and Lemmings Plus Omega (with the latter becoming much larger than it originally would've - LPI aside, it's the largest entry in the series at 135 levels).
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »
I've (finally) uploaded my solutions to Lemmings Plus IV (except for talisman solutions; although some of these replays also achieve the talisman anyway).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf2s3l953e0ngnx/LPIV%20Solutions.zip
My Lemmings projects

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2015, 08:08:36 PM »
Hmm why to close the original levelpack topics? :P I'd guess that people that browse the forums would search discussion related to packs in their own topics in the easiest way.

Sorry for the late answers, but better than never. : )

Bumpy9: Mechanical Split - A lovely main trick, resembles a bit Genesis Mayhem 1 level.
Hm, I don't remember using this level's trick to solve Genesis Mayhem 1. Or did you mean the layout?
My Genesis Mayhem 1 solution:

Twisted15: Central Heating - A gem level, really good one! This gave me much trouble and I didn’t like the strict timing with the two guys on the top, that made the solution unrealistic before trying it out. Otherwise maybe my favourite level in this pack so far, and should be in Insane imo.

Do you mean at the start or at the end? The part at the start should time itself, while the part at the end isn't too hard if you make use of pausing. :P In fact, often (though certianly not always) I try to set my levels up so the timing works itself out, unless the timing itself is meant to be a major part of the puzzle.

Insane14: Artificially Sweetened - I always compared this level to “No Added Colours or Lemmings” from L1 because of the title and the similarity of the size, tricky solution, high difficulty, and the place in the mid-late last rating of the game. :P

That's pretty high praise, considering that Mayhem 20 was voted the best level from Orig! :) But I also think very highly of this level; not just once it became the last remaining unbeaten level, but in fact from the moment I created it. I'd even go as far as to say that it might be better than Panic Attack from LPII.

Sorry if I didn't express myself clearly enough, I meant exactly what I said with those five points when comparing these levels. I didn't say that I like 'Artificially Sweetened' as much as 'No Added Colours or Lemmings'. Insane14 has its little trick, but

For my taste Panic Attack is way above this level.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2015, 06:53:37 PM »
So, I'm thinking about making an equivalent to Flashbacks for levels from Omega and IV (and maybe Holiday, too). I'd like some input on levels to consider.

Here's my initial proposals for candidates (note: this is way more than would ultimately be included; this is just an initial list of levels that might be suitable). Since there haven't been voteoffs on these packs, it's based partly on my own thoughts about the levels' quality, and partly on feedback I've received from people who've played them.

Any suggestions for additions (or removals) to the list?
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »
Some feedback I got via PM on this (I'll keep it anonymous, since I assume that's why it was sent as a PM rather than posted here);

Holiday Lemmings Plus (click to show/hide)

Lemmings Plus Omega (click to show/hide)

Lemmings Plus IV (click to show/hide)

Since there's more adds than removes here, this does make the potential list even bigger. Keep the suggestions / feedback coming! :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »
Still after feedback on the above question! :)

I'm also wondering - regarding the videos on the Lemmings Plus series, is anyone actually finding them interesting / worthwhile? Do you think they serve any purpose that simply offering a replay file doesn't? Is there any points you'd like me to talk more about in them (or less)? Or do most people think it's not worth me continuing with them?
My Lemmings projects

Offline 607

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »
Still after feedback on the above question! :)

I'm also wondering - regarding the videos on the Lemmings Plus series, is anyone actually finding them interesting / worthwhile? Do you think they serve any purpose that simply offering a replay file doesn't? Is there any points you'd like me to talk more about in them (or less)? Or do most people think it's not worth me continuing with them?
To me, they sound very interesting; I haven't watched any of them yet, though, as I'm not really playing Lemmings at the time.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2015, 03:02:16 PM »
Got more feedback via PM, at least for the Omega and IV levels:

Omega (click to show/hide)

IV (click to show/hide)

I'll summarize thoughts based on getting these feedbacks at some point soon. :)
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2015, 03:49:05 PM »
Okay, here's my new potential list (pre-trimming-of-excessive-number-of-levels). Removed levels from the original list have been struck out rather than being completely cleared. New additions are bolded. Those with a > next to them are the ones I'd be most likely to drop when trimming the number of levels. Ultimate decisions will probably depend on not only the quality of levels, but also where the most gaps are in the difficulty curve (as you may have noticed, LPF has a very steep initial difficulty curve - going from Fun-style levels to Taxing- or maybe even Mayhem-style ones in the first rank).

Holiday Lemmings Plus (click to show/hide)

Lemmings Plus Omega (click to show/hide)

Lemmings Plus IV (click to show/hide)

This is only 29 levels total, even without removing any of the "potentially remove" (only the definitely removed ones from the original list). To try and keep a similar structure to the original Lemmings Plus Flashbacks, I'd like to go for 32 levels again. So, basically - which other three levels should be included?

Previous suggestions that weren't put onto this list are:

Puzzling 4 "Not Very Lemming Friendly"
Puzzling 13 "The Martian Lake Beast"
Twisted 17 "Climber's Edge"
Perplexing 21 "Wirebreaker"
Perplexing 22 "Pick-a-plan"
Perplexing 26 "Whisper of the Wind"
Mental 4 "Trade of the Tricks"
Mental 17 "Recycled Lemming Syndrome"
Smooth 13 "Trophy Cabinet"
Twisted 1 "Proceed With Caution"
Twisted 2 "Lands of Despair"

Of these, the first three were suggested by the second person; the rest were suggested by the first, and disagreed with by the second. However, Puzzling 4 presents an additional problem - its repeat is already in there.

So, adding Puzzling 13 - they make a good case, it has an especially unique value as an artistic level. Of the "controversial" suggestions, I do see myself agreeing with Mental 17. This brings us to the following list, which needs one more level (assuming no removals occur) to reach the desired 32 levels. You're still welcome to argue for the removal of a level, of course.

First Draft List (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:07:29 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects