Poll

What would you like to see in a LPIV bonus pack? (Choose as many or few as you like)

Easier repeats of hard LPIV levels
3 (30%)
Harder repeats of easy LPIV levels
1 (10%)
Levels using entirely new gimmicks
1 (10%)
New levels using existing gimmicks
1 (10%)
Some new non-gimmick levels
4 (40%)
LPIV doesn't need a bonus pack (please don't vote any other options if you pick this one)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Lemmings Plus IV (Updated)  (Read 10741 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Lemmings Plus IV (Updated)
« on: June 03, 2015, 12:00:05 PM »
So, it's finally here! The latest entry in the Lemmings Plus series, Lemmings Plus IV, has arrived!

Lemmings Plus IV consists of 80 levels, spread over four ranks (Smooth, Bumpy, Twisted and Insane). Unlike LPII and LPIII, there's no secret levels or gimmick levels this time - just plain old puzzles! That's not to say that there aren't a few levels based on unique and unusual concepts, of course.

As with LPII and LPIII, there's a few new graphic sets here - the four sets are Candy, Space, Clockwork and Wasteland. For the first time in Lemmings Plus, these are not palette-based with a very small number of colors, but full 24-bit color graphic sets.

Lemmings Plus IV continues to make use of new NeoLemmix features - many new object types are used, including some that are completely new to Lemmings Plus IV. The new NeoLemmix skills are also used. And, from day one, Lemmings Plus IV has talismans - there's a total of 15 of them for you to try and obtain!

Huge thanks to DynaLem, exit, IchoTolot and Nepster for pre-release testing. :)

Download LPIV from this page
http://www.neolemmix.com/?page=lemmingsplus

The cheat code, for those who want it, is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:24:44 PM by Flopsy »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus IV
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:01:51 PM »
Talisman List

Level Name References

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:15:11 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »
Unbeaten levels

Every level has been beaten now. The last two that remained - Insane 9, I've received a replay of a solution that, while not the intended one, I feel was very creative and will be leaving in. Insane 14, the intended solution has been found. :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:53:10 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »
Alright, I guess this has been out long enough to reveal the cheat code now. The cheat code is...

As for the remaining two graphic sets (Space and Wasteland), they'll be included with NeoLemmix from V1.35n onwards. However - I'll give them early to anyone who sends me a replay via PM that gets one of the two gold talismans from Insane (ie: either :tal-gold: beat Insane 12 with 5 builders or less, or :tal-gold: beat Insane 20). :)

So far, two people have got it - one on each talisman.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:18:09 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
All four Lemmings Plus IV graphic sets are now available for anyone to use. Grab the newest NeoLemmix update and they're in there. :)

As for LPIV itself, there's no urgent need for a V1.35n update so I haven't done one yet, but if all seems well with it I'll update it (and the rest of the Lemmings Plus series) sometime in the next few days.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:01:19 AM »
If you're wondering about updates, I do plan to update the levels at least once more, but I'm waiting until I receive a few more replays, to reduce how many times the pack is updated.

As it currently stands, there's one level that's entirely unbeaten (outside of backroutes during the testing period which were fixed before the public release), Insane 14. There's also one level that's only been solved via a backroute that I intend to fix (but hadn't yet fixed at the time of public release), Insane 9.

I won't give hints on Insane 9 until it's backroute fixed, but here's two minor hints for Insane 14...

EDIT: I've received some replays, but these only go as far as Twisted 17. There are a couple of new backroutes that have emerged among them (though every level that's been backrouted here, someone else has also found the intended (or at least an acceptable) solution). I'm waiting until I see replays for (at least most of) Insane before doing any updates.

Insane 14 still remains completely unbeaten. :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 12:56:35 AM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:43:31 PM »
I've received some more replays. I'll probably do an update within the next few days.

At this point, it looks like the levels that need updating are:

Smooth 10 - It's been pointed out that the exit trigger area should be in line with the top of the one-way block. No backroutes though.
Bumpy 20
Twisted 4
Twisted 6
Twisted 16
Insane 3 - The intended solution can actually be done with one less builder than I previously thought. Removing the extra builder also removes the only backroute I'm currently aware of.
Insane 9

Insane 14 still remains completely unsolved, and Insane 9 still remains solved only via backroutes.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Lemmings Plus IV (Updated)
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:24:31 PM »
Levels V2 update is here (also updates the player to V1.35n-B). Fixed levels are:

Smooth 10 - The exit trigger is in line with the top of the one-way block now. It still extends as far downwards as it used to, too.
Bumpy 20 - Backroute fix.
Twisted 4 - Backroute fix.
Twisted 6 - Backroute fix.
Twisted 16 - Backroute fix.
Insane 3 - Removed an unnessecary builder (which in turn fixes a backroute).
Insane 9 - Backroute fix.

Download link in first post. Insane 9 still hasn't been beaten via a non-backroute (or any solution that would still work in this update), and Insane 14 still remains completely unbeaten. All the other fixed levels, their intended solutions have been found as well as backroutes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:33:45 PM by namida »
My Lemmings projects

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 01:28:18 AM »
Twisted 8 shows Loose Links instead of Dopefish Lives. Is this intended?
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 02:07:59 AM »
Reuploaded with that fixed. It's a minor issue (only affects one level's preview screen, doesn't affect anything actually in-level) so, if you already got the updated version, no need to worry about re-downloading it.

However, this did alert me to a much more major issue in the editor.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 08:54:14 PM »
Insane 9 and Insane 14 have both been defeated now; thus meaning every level has been solved. There's still two other levels with known backroutes so (especially if more backroutes pop up in the future) there might still be one more update ahead.

At this point, the only remaining unbeaten levels in the series are all in LP3B.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 11:18:20 PM »
I'll try to write comments of your pack in the topic soonish. It seems that people send you the solutions and comments mostly in private messages, and it probably would be nicer if something is put to the topic for everyone to read sometimes, too, so that most of the discussion wouldn't always be hidden from public. :P

At first I need to say that Clockwork and Wasteland tilesets are among Purple set your best ones, I like them a lot!

Smooth8: Post-2012 - The first level where I remember having troubles at first. The basic example of a level that has an easy but hidden solution!
Smooth11: Wow! Such Level! - Unlike Giga, I actually liked this level quite much, even the steel plates have doge in them! The tune gives me LPI feelings. :D
Smooth16: I'll Be Back... - A very good one-lemming level, many different skills that have to be placed in correct places in correct times.
Smooth20: Over The Edge - (from IRC on the 3rd of June):
[17:43:34]   <Akseli> namida42: song choice for Smooth 20
[17:43:41]   <Akseli> Big, fat thumbs up !
A really clever level, but difficult (harder than the final level for the second rating, for example) at least because:

Bumpy1: Chocblocked! - I need to give kudos for the title of this level… :P
Bumpy6: Chocoholics Anonymous - I had hard times with this one, still think it should be a lot later in the game.
Bumpy9: Mechanical Split - A lovely main trick, resembles a bit Genesis Mayhem 1 level.
Bumpy10: Zip-Zap Zone - I honestly don’t know if splat-pads and anti-splat-pads offered much for this pack. The builder-setup at the end was neat despite being simple in this level, though!
Bumpy11: Candy Mountain - My solution was pixel-precise, I think there is a more pleasant way to solve this one.
Bumpy12: Luck Of The Draw - Seems to get a filler-level feeling due to the text in the lower right corner. :D I didn’t at first realize the steel. A tougher level than those around it, in my opinion.
Bumpy16: Busted Bunker - This feels maybe the most filler level in the pack.
Bumpy17: Lem Your Lem Could Smell Like - A difficult one, I wonder what’s the intended solution, even finding my variant felt tricky.

Twisted1: Proceed With Caution - These kinds of path-creating levels with a lot of happening in a reasonably small area are always fun!
Twisted3: Minesweeper! - Oh yes, this! A really unique idea and it worked out so well, great job! :) The little amount of trial-and-error didn’t matter at all, most of the path could be derived from the numbers anyway!
Twisted6: The Brilliant Contraption - A great level!
Twisted7: Corrupt Shelter - There’s at least 3 levels in this set that uses this climber-goes-along-the-top path and they’re all Wasteland levels. :D Coincidence?
Twisted8: Oh No! More Ricks! - I got rick-rolled yet again! Can’t say that I have had enough of this, though. :D
Twisted10: Clocking In - This is delightful using of a glider, a good level!
Twisted12: Invasion Plan - This is the first time I noticed the moving space background, the Earth coming into sight was creepy when seeing the first time (with fast forward :D)! This level was a harder one.
Twisted15: Central Heating - A gem level, really good one! This gave me much trouble and I didn’t like the strict timing with the two guys on the top, that made the solution unrealistic before trying it out. Otherwise maybe my favourite level in this pack so far, and should be in Insane imo. :P
Twisted17: Climber's Edge - A nice ascending level, even more stuff going on in even tinier area than in Twisted1. :) Platformers fit nicely in this kind of level design!
Twisted18: Clockwork Maze - Should be in Insane rating, yeah.
Twisted20: Synchronized Lemming IN SPACE!! - Surprisingly much to try, but finding a working solution needed a bunch of effort.

Insane4: Ooh, Shiny! - I haven’t solved this one, but I found myself not liking the fact that I needed to guess the amount of lemmings that can be killed in this level due to having cloners.
Insane6: The Mystery Machine - A great level, just for my taste. :P
Insane7: Dopefish Lives! - As a Commander Keen fan I obviously loved this level and its tune choice. ;) Nice job with creating a puzzle with only terrain making skills!
Insane10: Comradical! - This was also a really enjoyable level with a great concept and multiple ways to approach with. I seem to like Clockwork levels the most. :P
Insane11: Tower of Confection - Definitely an Insane feeling level with four layers of operating the solution so that every one of them work.
Insane14: Artificially Sweetened - I always compared this level to “No Added Colours or Lemmings” from L1 because of the title and the similarity of the size, tricky solution, high difficulty, and the place in the mid-late last rating of the game. :P
Insane15: Heat Dispersal - This tricked me for a moment even though I realized the path immediately.
Insane17: If Only They Could Jump... - I haven’t solved this one, there’s like three places that I don’t understand at all how they could be possible, on the other hand this is the level I’ve tried the least because of that.
Insane18: Bomb Shelter - Felt really easy for its placement. Nice design, though!
Insane19: Overlocked Lemming - I haven’t solved this one, though this seems really cool level.
Insane20: Goodbye Galaxy - And yet another Commander Keen reference! I love the title and the design, these and the solution also fit amazingly for a final level of the pack, you’ve nailed final levels in every big pack you’ve created! :) (Speaking of that, I should try the last rating of LPIII some day again, I was pondering what’s the final level of that but realized then that I have not even seen it x_x)
Oh yeah and I loved the tune in this level also, these two tunes used in your pack’s boss levels are probably the ultimate boss tunes for me from gaming history anyway, so I had particularly great pleasure to play these levels.

By the way, I clicked wrong replays many times when watching my solutions, the window warning about wrong replays is an excellent thing.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 02:24:57 AM »
At first I need to say that Clockwork and Wasteland tilesets are among Purple set your best ones, I like them a lot!

I love the Clockwork set too. I'm not so much a fan of the Wasteland one, though.

Bumpy9: Mechanical Split - A lovely main trick, resembles a bit Genesis Mayhem 1 level.

Hm, I don't remember using this level's trick to solve Genesis Mayhem 1. Or did you mean the layout?

Bumpy17: Lem Your Lem Could Smell Like - A difficult one, I wonder what’s the intended solution, even finding my variant felt tricky.

I'll probably post replays of my solutions soon, then you can see for yourself how I did it. :)

Twisted3: Minesweeper! - Oh yes, this! A really unique idea and it worked out so well, great job! :) The little amount of trial-and-error didn’t matter at all, most of the path could be derived from the numbers anyway!

This is one of those levels that's gotten fairly mixed feedback, which I guess is to be expected with unusual levels like this one.

Twisted15: Central Heating - A gem level, really good one! This gave me much trouble and I didn’t like the strict timing with the two guys on the top, that made the solution unrealistic before trying it out. Otherwise maybe my favourite level in this pack so far, and should be in Insane imo.

Do you mean at the start or at the end? The part at the start should time itself, while the part at the end isn't too hard if you make use of pausing. :P In fact, often (though certianly not always) I try to set my levels up so the timing works itself out, unless the timing itself is meant to be a major part of the puzzle.

Insane4: Ooh, Shiny! - I haven’t solved this one, but I found myself not liking the fact that I needed to guess the amount of lemmings that can be killed in this level due to having cloners.

Just think of the number of lemmings as being (number displayed on preview screen + number of cloners); on the default setting, the percentage is based off that. The alternative options are absolute percentages rather than cloner-adjusted (so, for example, 11 lemmings required on a level with 10 lemmings and 1 cloner would display as 110%, rather than 100%), or to forego percentages altogether and just use a lemming count (so in the same example, it'd just say 11 lemmings required). This can be chosen in the Config menu (F3 on the title screen).

Insane10: Comradical! - This was also a really enjoyable level with a great concept and multiple ways to approach with. I seem to like Clockwork levels the most. :P

This level was actually originally intended to use a trick that didn't make it into the final version. Although I made several efforts to enforce the required trick, the testers kept finding ways around it, so eventually I simply reverted this level to its first version (which was generally found to be the most enjoyable) and removed a skill that was crucial to the trick but otherwise useless on this level.

Insane14: Artificially Sweetened - I always compared this level to “No Added Colours or Lemmings” from L1 because of the title and the similarity of the size, tricky solution, high difficulty, and the place in the mid-late last rating of the game. :P

That's pretty high praise, considering that Mayhem 20 was voted the best level from Orig! :) But I also think very highly of this level; not just once it became the last remaining unbeaten level, but in fact from the moment I created it. I'd even go as far as to say that it might be better than Panic Attack from LPII.

Insane17: If Only They Could Jump... - I haven’t solved this one, there’s like three places that I don’t understand at all how they could be possible, on the other hand this is the level I’ve tried the least because of that.

It's definitely possible, two of the four testers managed to solve this one (and one more, I believe, didn't attempt this level). It's definitely a lot harder than the similar concept levels in LPI / LPII / LP3B though.

you’ve nailed final levels in every big pack you’ve created!

I do have a certain feeling I go for with the final levels - ideally, they should be (if this makes sense) both easier than they seem and harder than they seem, at the same time. What I mean by that is, at first glance they should look very intimidating and borderline-impossible, but when actually played they don't come across as so hard - however, at the same time, during play they end up seeming easier than they ultimately turn out to be. In this regard, I think LP Omega was the one that best captured the essence I go for in a final level (obviously basing this on Mental 30, not Playtime 15). Most notably, I generally don't try to make them the hardest level in the pack; rather I put the (intended to be) hardest level slightly before it - at least going on original intentions (even if they didn't ultimately turn out to be the hardest), the intended-to-be-hardest levels in previous packs were Psycho 28, Genius 19 and Mental 29; and for LPIV it's Insane 19. LPIII is a bit of an exception in this regard, as although it didn't turn out this way in practice*, the final level there was intended to be the hardest one. I also don't know how well I achieved this goal with LPII; sure, Cactus Central is a great level, but I'm not entirely sure whether it's a great final level.

* with that being said, a recent update removed one miner in LPIII's final level, which I believe all the backroutes relied on. At one point I gave up on fixing them, but the change to bomber mechanics in... V1.31n, I think?... rendered one miner no longer nessecary for the intended solution, so I removed it. As far as I know, this level has not been solved since then.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »
Alright. Well, based on the facts that I'm not getting as much done lately Lemmings-wise, that LP2B and LP3B were the least popular entries in the Lemmings Plus series, and that the majority of the interest for an LP4B seems to be in "easier repeats of LPIV levels" (fine as part of the pack, but not as the main point) or "new non-gimmick levels" (which beyond one or two, would be more suited to a new pack rather than a bonus pack), I'm going to say this for now:

Lemmings Plus IV Bonus Pack is no longer on my list of planned projects. I'm not saying I won't change my mind and make one further down the track, but for now, I have no intention of it. On the bright side, this might mean I make "ZZ Project" a little bit larger than originally intended, which is probably a good idea given something I have in mind for it... It could also mean I end up making more entries for the NeoLemmix Community Pack.
My Lemmings projects

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 11:04:36 AM »
I'm closing this topic now, since LPIV has been out for quite a while. Any future discussion of it can be had in the general Lemmings Plus topic.
My Lemmings projects