Poll

FINAL ROUND - Vote for ONE level.

Mayhem 03 "It's hero time!"
Mayhem 20 "No added colours or Lemmings"

Author Topic: Original Lemmings Level Voteoff (WINNER: Mayhem 20)  (Read 19233 times)

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
Re: Original Lemmings Level Voteoff (FINAL ROUND!)
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »
this was a tough choice for me.
on one hand, I really love It's hero time because it's tough but has multiple solutions. A classic original 1 of everything puzzle. It's only downside is the time limit which can be quite annoying as I remember it.

I found No added colours much harder, and took me much longer to solve. What I find unique about this level is it has a trick which still isn't over-used in custom levels like many other tricks are. But I like both levels pretty much equally in the end I think.

Interestingly both levels are repeats. Both are also levels which, when I played when I was young and couldn't get past tricky, I was puzzled as to why these two weren't repeated (yet). I always wondered what the arrows on Konbanwa Lemming San could be for
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:51:18 PM by möbius »
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 10:41:52 PM »
Since namida posted the results for the pentultimate round, I've expressly decided to vote for the level with the fewer votes that round, under the assumption that the other level with more votes previously would likely be in the lead at the moment, so it would make for a closer race.  Now of course it could also hilariously backfire (so to speak, I'm not that committed one way or the other) if enough people think and do like me. :-\ ;P  [According to the current results displayed after I voted, seems like my assumption was correct and it did made the race slightly closer.  Just slightly though.]

What?! I'm the only one who's voted for "It's hero time!" so far?! Seriously? :scared:

Funny enough, on all the previous rounds I think I've voted for It's hero time wherever it appeared, except for the pentultimate round where I voted for Taxing 6 [Compression Method I] instead. (I started to think it was more special in terms of the technique showcased in the intended solution.)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 01:39:36 AM »
Looks like I was right in saying "those who prefer the other level just haven't come online" yet; when I logged off last night, one level was winning 6-nil; now the score is 6-5.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2015, 07:15:51 AM »
I get the feeling the comments are influencing the votes? :) OTOH, the topic would be kind of dead without them... maybe for the next voteoff (ONML?) we could limit comments to after the round?

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm planning to do ONML next. Maybe even do a couple at the same time.
And, that's not a bad idea.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Tiduas

• View Profile
    • YouTube Channel with a focus on Retro and Indie titles.
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
Yeah, I'm planning to do ONML next. Maybe even do a couple at the same time.
And, that's not a bad idea.

I would love to see a vote about the levels from ONML. I know those levels a little better since I more recently played through the game, will be fun to see what everyone else thinks about them as well.

When you say "Maybe even do a couple at the same time" do you mean more voteoffs for more games at the same time? If so I think it might be better to only have one active at a time since people could loose interest if there's too much going on at the same time. Or maybe it's just me, I don't know ^^
YouTube channel about video game music, retro and indie games.
https://www.youtube.com/@Teedyan

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
Yep, that's what I was meaning. Maybe run some of the smaller ones (X91/92, Covox, Prima) at the same time as Oh No.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Prob Lem

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »
I get the feeling the comments are influencing the votes? :)
Haha, well, for my part, I was honestly only joking when I made my comment about the lack of votes for "It's hero time!". :D I didn't figure it'd influence anyone's opinion of the levels up for voting.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:38 PM »
"It's hero time" captures my vote. Beautiful puzzle with plenty of places where the player could easily go wrong. Nice layout, and has a few extra solutions too, even with the 1-minute time limit, the 100% and the 99 release rate. The only 1-per skill level in existence, and it is very well crafted and planned.

After my vote, I see that it is very close. I wish I could see what everyone voted for, like some forums do, but I can't; only getting to see whether they feel like posting their vote or not.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 07:14:04 PM »
Aww, that is such an unfair choice!!  Both of those levels are legendary in their own way.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 08:17:40 PM »
Aww, that is such an unfair choice!!  Both of those levels are legendary in their own way.

You're probably far from the only one who thinks that. :P I remember someone was saying they weren't sure if they wanted to vote this round at all (I assume) because of which two levels.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Ramon

• View Profile
    • JRK Studios
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 11:59:25 PM »
I really like "It's Hero Time" due to its style (1 of each skill, 1 minute time limit), but I ultimately chose "No added colours or lemmings" because I believe it's pretty much the only level from original Lemmings that I cannot reliably solve anymore even though I remember the solution was something ingenious. (This is of course not my only criterion, but there's just something about this level...)

Offline keiya

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2015, 12:43:29 AM »
I only just recently finished Mayhem for the first time, so my perspective is rather different, but I voted for
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It took me to juuust before I got significantly frustrated with it and then made me feel like a genius after beating it, which is the hallmark of a perfectly balanced level.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2015, 03:44:39 AM »
Alright, WE HAVE OUR WINNER!

As voted by the Lemmings Forums community, the best level from the Original Lemmings game is...

Mayhem 20 - "No added colours or Lemmings"

I have to say, I was pretty sure from the start this level was going to win (and if not, it'd be either Mayhem 3 or Mayhem 13). My favorite Orig level is Mayhem 12, but I was fairly sure that one wouldn't win - I was surprised to see it get as far as it did. xD

Thanks for voting! I'll put the next voteoffs up soon - probably what I'll do is the ONML one, and at the same time (seperate topics), some of the smaller packs (one of these at a time of course); ie: Covox, Prima and X91/92.

(An alternative possibility - perhaps just add the X91/92 levels into the H94 voteoff, and the Covox and Prima levels into the Extra Levels voteoff?)
My Lemmings projects