Author Topic: SuperLemmini 0.104a  (Read 171519 times)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: SuperLemmini 0.104
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2020, 12:59:34 AM »
Also it would be nice if you added ohaya lemming san level from the SNES Version since you have some other levels already there from like the amiga set and dos' vacation in gemland.

Online WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2020, 03:01:41 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering, is there a way to enable the timer for Bombers? I know that a lot of Lemmings players dislike it but I really want my levels to feel like the Amiga version...

+1 for this: Since NeoLemmix now has a Hi-Res mode as well as all of its other beneficial features, it would be good for SuperLemmini to go even further in the direction of emulating the Amiga experience. That way, it further distinguishes it from NeoLemmix as an option for people who prefer the old style of playing, and an option for timed bombers to be switched on or off would definitely help with that.

I'd also suggest an option for no assigning skills whilst paused. If both of these were optional, it allows the player to tailor their playing experience to their own preferences, and keeps the game accessible for beginners as well.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2020, 04:14:03 AM »
I was wondering, is there a way to enable the timer for Bombers? I know that a lot of Lemmings players dislike it but I really want my levels to feel like the Amiga version...

Note that some levels may be affected due to requiring a bomber to explode within the first 5 seconds of the lemming coming out of its entrance, which can't be done when there's a 5-second delay from the timer.  Probably not common, but you need to be prepared with needing to turn off timed bombers anyway occasionally for such levels.  At least the original levels (not sure if SuperLemmini came with those or not) are not affected since they were designed with timed bombers in mind.

I'd also suggest an option for no assigning skills whilst paused.

It's already optional--no one says you have to assign skills whilst paused if you don't want to do so. ???

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2020, 06:59:05 AM »
Just have it be where the DEFAULT is where timed bombers is turned off, that way for those you dont like it , one won't even have to choose the option to turn it off.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2020, 05:48:46 AM »
Here are the main advantages of the two platforms:

NeoLemmix
  • Large user community
  • Active support directly from the developers
  • Extensive selection of custom-created level packs
  • Larger and more varied skillset
  • Very easy to customise and create content for
  • Option for a gorgeous Hi-Res mode for those who prefer a more modern visual experience
  • A range of player-assist tools: skill shadows, directional select, framestepping, etc (I'd probably count untimed bombers in this as well)
SuperLemmini
  • Perfectly replicates and enhances the experience of playing Lemmings on the Amiga
  • Lush Hi-Res graphics from WinLemm
  • Works on both Mac and PC
  • Faithful to the original game in terms of skillset
  • Also includes player-assist tools, but to a much lesser extent, making it more like the original in terms of gameplay style as well
Those are what I'd list as the main advantages of each. SuperLemmini may seem to have less, but these are very strong advantages that are important to fans of the original game. And, rather than trying to compete with each other when there's already a fairly small user-base to begin with, I'd suggest that each platform play into these strengths to continue to provide an alternative experience each way.

If SuperLemmini were to bring back timed bombers (as an option) and give the option for the player to disable things like direction select and assign-whilst-paused (@ccexplore - if it's there, you generally will use it!) then it will have the ability to perfectly simulate the original gameplay experience of Lemmings, and with delicious-looking graphics as a bonus. Having said that, I totally agree with ericderkovits that these features should remain optional (and enabled by default); sometimes it is nice to keep the player-assist tools enabled and enjoy a slightly easier gameplay style!

NeoLemmix, on the other hand, is better off standing as a more modern, puzzle-focused and feature-rich version of the game. I have suggested several times that various options be introduced to make it more like the original for those that occasionally enjoy re-living the game in that way, but now that I think about it - we do have SuperLemmini for that. :thumbsup:

If SL also brings about an easier way to create levels and compile them into packs, then it'll be the complete package for fans of the Amiga version.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 06:50:53 AM by WillLem »

Offline Ron_Stard

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2020, 01:33:24 PM »
The Bomber timing is something I really miss in SuperLemmini and NeoLemmix, since it adds an extra layer of difficulty to otherwise quite easy levels (Mayhem 19, for example). But I understand why both Lemmings forks have disowned that "remora" from the original games. I really appreciate the direction NeoLemmix is taking, and I love the new skills and levels. I think SuperLemmini should be more like NeoLemmix than to Original Lemmings in the future. After all, we already have Lemmini as a Lemmings clone for all Operating Systems.

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »
The Bomber timing is something I really miss in SuperLemmini and NeoLemmix, since it adds an extra layer of difficulty to otherwise quite easy levels (Mayhem 19, for example). But I understand why both Lemmings forks have disowned that "remora" from the original games. I really appreciate the direction NeoLemmix is taking, and I love the new skills and levels.

I've just finished playing through Lemmings on my Amiga emulator, and it's almost a different game to the way it's currently presented in NeoLemmix. Neither is necessarily a better or worse way to enjoy the game; both are valid for different reasons. I'm exploring this quite extensively with my current LP series.

I think SuperLemmini should be more like NeoLemmix than to Original Lemmings in the future. After all, we already have Lemmini as a Lemmings clone for all Operating Systems.

I disagree: Lemmini, whilst great, is no longer actively maintained and doesn't have a level editor.

Also, it wouldn't benefit SL to be "more like NeoLemmix," because it simply can't compete: NeoLemmix is way too far along in its development and is already very much its own thing.

SuperLemmini is far better off standing as a decent, working, actively developed alternative to NeoLemmix for enjoying the game as originally intended - albeit with more modern graphics, and options for player-assist tools such as direction select and untimed bombers that can be enabled, or not, as the player wishes. It's already far closer to being that way, and I think it would benefit it more to go further in that direction.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:51:10 PM by WillLem »

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2020, 09:37:59 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone confirm if this level is solvable in Superlemmini? I'm finding it impossible. This level is from a level pack called Blizzard of Lemm by someone named Jkapp76 on the Lemmings Level Database. According to the author, the pack is intended for Superlemmini. I have solved every level in the pack except for the level in the attached screenshot, The Snow Palace. If you take the route of building up in the very last part of the level, you run out of time (you can't even reach the top without running out of time). However, I think the level might be possible if you were given an additional minute so that you have 11 minutes instead of 10. Similarly, if you try to horizontally bash by spamming diggers at the very last obstacle, you don't get through because you don't have enough diggers to get it done. I'm thinking the only way to complete this is through the Giant Leap glitch, which is possible in both Dos and Lemmini, but I'm not sure if it carried over to Superlemmini. Not to mention that I have never been able to get it to work on any level because I cannot set it up correctly. Perhaps WillLem or anyone who happens to have Superlemmini can give this level a shot and confirm it impossible in its current state? 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 29, 2020, 09:46:28 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone confirm if this level is solvable in Superlemmini? I'm finding it impossible. This level is from a level pack called Blizzard of Lemm by someone named Jkapp76 on the Lemmings Level Database.

Can you post a link to this level, or attach it? My solving skills are not the best, by any means, but I'll certainly have a look.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:54 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone confirm if this level is solvable in Superlemmini? I'm finding it impossible. This level is from a level pack called Blizzard of Lemm by someone named Jkapp76 on the Lemmings Level Database.

Can you post a link to this level, or attach it? My solving skills are not the best, by any means, but I'll certainly have a look.

http://lemmings-db.camanis.net/levelpack/ag1zfmxlbW1pbmdzLWRichYLEglMZXZlbFBhY2sYgICAgNCzjAoM/

What you can do is after downloading the pack from the link above and extracting the levelpack to the levels folder where you have Superlemmini extracted, look for the 313.ini file in the Blizzlem folder. Then, when you load Superlemmini, you can click Play level, add external level, and then look for the 313.ini file. After you do that, The Snow Palace level should appear in the Single levels subfolder in the external levels folder.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2020, 09:44:15 AM »
Hi Kaywhyn,

I've had a go at this level and it does indeed seem like there just isn't enough time to complete it. Since you only get diggers and builders, there's pretty much no chance of backrouting it. I can conserve the builders well enough for the solution, but with it being such an out-and-out builder fest, I'd say about another 30 seconds - 1 minute is needed for it to be possible.

I've attached my replay. I'm generally a pretty good speed-solver and I've used as many time-conservation techniques as I could here, but it's looking like either we're both missing something in the solution, or we indeed have an impossible level... ???

On the plus side, it has given me a really good idea for a level! I've called it Nothing is Impossible ;P Let me know what you think!

---

P.S. Whilst there are a few SL peeps active on here at the mo, does anyone know what this button does?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 09:51:50 AM by WillLem »

Offline LanaAndCo

• V2.0 Update : Online reactivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
P.S. Whilst there are a few SL peeps active on here at the mo, does anyone know what this button does?

By looking in the "Key Assignment" text file, I think it's for toggling vertical scroll lock on and off but I not sure. I never seen any vertical level in SuperLemmini and whenever I tried to make one, it crashed.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2020, 07:07:07 PM »

By looking in the "Key Assignment" text file, I think it's for toggling vertical scroll lock on and off but I not sure. I never seen any vertical level in SuperLemmini and whenever I tried to make one, it crashed.

Correct, it's to lock the vertical scrolling.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Online WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2020, 10:54:37 PM »

Correct, it's to lock the vertical scrolling.

Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Lock it in what way? I'm just wondering why you would even want to make it so that you can't scroll vertically...

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 30, 2020, 11:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the replay, WillLem. Indeed, by taking the route you took, I would think an additional minute is needed in order to make the level passable. I wonder what was going through the author's mind when he made this level for Superlemmini. It would be nice to get a hold of him, but I don't think he's ever been on this forum. According to the levelpack info on the website I linked to, this level was chosen as one of the best by both the author and the Lemmings community. This would probably suggest that the level is passable in its current iteration, but if it is the only way I can think of is through the giant leap glitch. However, I have never ever gotten this particular glitch to work on any level. Perhaps someone else can get it to work? More importantly, does that glitch carry over from Dos and Lemmini to Superlemmini?

I just confirmed that the level is indeed possible with an additional minute, which means a time limit of 11 minutes instead of the current 10 minutes will make the level solvable the way it is. However, using WillLem's building up to the very top at the very end solution, only 2 seconds remained, so it really comes down to the wire, but it will be passable with 1 extra minute added while keeping the skillset the same. I think I ended up using all 50 builders, surprisingly, and so absolutely no wasting builders at all! So, maybe the author saved the time limit for the level wrong?