Author Topic: Worst Graphics style  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Worst Graphics style
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:37:49 AM »
After seeing the two graphic style polls, it was clear that Crystal was the winner of Original Lemmings and a tied winner between Brick and Bubble in Oh No.

This time, we are looking for the losing graphic set. I have omitted the winners of the previous poll (Hopefully this won't cause too much controversy). For this poll, you can select three options (although I've tested that you don't have to select three, it's up to you). I've voted for Rock, Dirt and Fire; reasons stated before. I still like the Snow set because of my personal passion for winter, although I'm not surprised that Snow is the new leader at the moment.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Worst Graphics style
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:09:37 AM »
I could only pick two out of those - rock and snow. I like the others. However, if Bubble set had been left in, my 3rd vote would've gone to it.

In general, I don't like the rough-edged sets, although - and I can't put my finger on exactly why I feel this way - I don't find dirt to be nearly as annoying as the others to build levels with. Likewise, although bubble is more of a straight/rough hybrid style than a pure rough one, I also find it to be somewhat annoying.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
Rock is the hardest to make straight lines out of. That alone gets my vote :)

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »
Snow. I like all the other tilesets, you can create very nice looking levels with them. Rock may be quite bumpy and I used to dislike it, but now it's one of my favorites because of the wonders you can make with it. The mix of emeralds, rocky terrain and grass and trees is just beautiful.

Snow on the other hand seems a bit dull to me. There are people that can make wonders with it, but for me it's very hard to create something nice out of these snowdrifts and icicles.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:31:08 AM »
Fire has the steel blocks that don't fit together, and dirt has so many strange shapes instead of more oval shapes.

-- Simon

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
Which blocks are you talking about? The *actual* steel? How does it not fit together? The steel blocks in the fire style are the same as the ones in all the other styles except for coloration... If you're meaning that you can't fit a steel area in a LVL file to the exact dimensions of a steel terrain piece (except the full-size one), that's the same for every graphic set (it even affects three of the LPII styles as they use recolored versions of the original steel terrain, though Psychedelic and Metal styles have steel pieces that are multiples of 4 in size).

A few of the other pieces in the fire style don't fit together in the most intuitive way, but they still do ultimately line up.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Akseli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
My opinion roughly:
Pillar < Fire < Marble < Snow < Crystal < Dirt < Rock < Bubble < Brick
My comments about Original tilesets and Oh No tilesets.
I voted for Pillar, Fire and Marble. Before that Pillar was the only one to have zero votes. :0

Like I've said before, I love all the tilesets. Am I the only one who likes Oh No sets more than Original ones?
I appreciate hugely if a level designer can design great levels with all the tilesets, that's something that delights me enormously as a player.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:52:37 PM »
Like I've said before, I love all the tilesets. Am I the only one who likes Oh No sets more than Original ones?
I appreciate hugely if a level designer can design great levels with all the tilesets, that's something that delights me enormously as a player.

I like Oh No as well. In fact I created a full level pack using the Brick tileset, which is basically the Oh No game minus the Rock, Snow and Bubble sets, just in case you're interested. I hope you'll find some good levels there, especially in the Wild, Wicked & Havoc ratings. I was thinking of doing Bubble as well but as there are no steel blocks, I found it difficult to create hard challenges.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Pieuw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »
My opinion roughly:
Pillar < Fire < Marble < Snow < Crystal < Dirt < Rock < Bubble < Brick

You offend reason, sir. :D

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 04:52:00 AM »
I vote for snow as It could use improvement; more tiles, like horizontal versions of the "stack" bars. more variety of icicles maybe. But i love every single set. I'm not bothered by the non-straight line terrains as I don't always want or need to make a straight-lined level. Bubble could also use improvement with more tiles and obviously steel. But bubble is one of my favorites. my opinions changed since I posted in the favorite topic. (also since I played levels by Dodo and others) Crystal could also use more tiles, like smaller blocks. I still plan to add some of these graphics to Lemmini terrain sets. and DOS terrain too possibly.

I was going to order them but I can't  :D
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:03:20 AM »
For me, I find it harder to make good levels primarily with rough-edged terrain. You might've noticed that towards the end of both LPDOS and LPII, use of the rough-edged sets becomes rarer. Of course, there are exceptions - Return Of The T is a fairly late-game snow level and one of LPDOS's best levels, and LPII finishes with a desert level (although that being said, it primarily uses the set's straight-edged pieces) - but the general rule is I find those sets more suited towards making good-looking fun levels than challenging ones.
My Lemmings projects

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:56 PM »
Which blocks are you talking about? The *actual* steel? How does it not fit together?

The steel pieces, not the steel areas, yes.

-- Simon

Offline Gronkling

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »
Here's the order of liking of the tilesets:
9] SNOW: I find it very difficult to make levels with this. None of the peices seem to fit together well escpecially those beige rocks and iceicle covered snow peices. It looks generally ugly as well.
8] CRYSTAL: A lot of people really like this tileset, but I find it rather boring to make levels with. It's just a load of lines and some crystals which don't really fit in many places. I like those two crystally masses but  they would be better if you could naturally walk over one of them and there was more than two.
7] BUBBLE: I find it hard to fit a lot of the terrain peices together and the load of tube terrain is rather boring. A lot of this tileset is basically terrain peices  that were there earlier in a different colour. Also no steel terrain. I like the traps a lot though.
6] BRICK: I like all the tilesets past this point. This one is nice and easy to make levels with,  though it would have been nice to have added a little more variance in some places.
5] MARBLE: A lot like brick in that it's easy. It's just not the most interesting tileset too look at.
4] PILLAR: I like the look of the pillars and broken things. Not much else to say really. 
3] FIRE: There's a nice variety in terrain, and I like the colours a lot. It would have been better if they hadn't used  a lot of space on letters though.
2] ROCK: Looks very nice and I find  it quite fun to make levels in, though it is difficult to make the terrain fit together.
1] DIRT: Like rock but the  terrain fits together better.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 05:31:40 PM »
I never really played with the Oh No! More Lemmings tilesets until recently.  Truthfully I like them all, although I do feel that Snow is somewhat 'boring' in a way.  Bubbles is a pretty surreal tileset that is fun to play with, but I dislike it from a design standpoint because of the lack of steel pieces.  Brick is good for making 'precise' levels, but the awkward trigger areas can be problematic.  Rock is the 'Dirt' of Oh No! More Lemmings, and has quite a ghostly beauty about it - has a fairly unique take on water too.

Though I'm late to the party, my favourites are Crystal and Marble, for different reasons:

- Crystal: Has a dark beauty about it and is kind of 'peaceful' in a way.  I absolutely loved making Crystal Caves out of it!  Hard to make precise levels though and the lack of 'dead zones' outside of water make things tricky sometimes (although Crystal isn't unique in this problem).
- Marble: A very nice tileset from a design perspective.  Very easy to make pretty-looking levels out of it, and the shredder trap is such a compact and versatile 'dead zone' to keep Lemmings away from where they shouldn't be.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 05:45:29 PM »

:o I'm surprised I never noticed this, or ran into problems from it.

in general; I would rate fire low too because there are a lot of instances where the bounding box for pieces are annoyingly off or too large. More so than the other sets. (though every set suffers from this problem)
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain