Author Topic: version's of lemmings :Different styles of grafic sets  (Read 6569 times)

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
version's of lemmings :Different styles of grafic sets
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:20:38 AM »
I was thinking what would it look like if the marble set swap textures with snow set
pillar with fire,
dirt with rock,
cristal with brick,
and bubble with well any type of set
post pictures see what it'll look like

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: version's of lemmings :Different styles of grafic sets
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:24:10 AM »
You know, if you're going to post ideas like this and actually ask others to show pictures, you could at least try making some yourself to start it off...
Also, I see no reason why that has to be what's exchanged for what. What's wrong with remaking a pillar level in, say, bubble style?
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 10:50:35 AM »
This is cascade in crystal mode, but I have a question. Did you mean this or this?  :-\ (see attachment)
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 01:02:58 PM »
I'm pretty sure he meant the second one... and that's actually not bad!
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
Okay... I call them WTF levels. My favourite WTF level is Taxing 2 converted into fire, because it is possible with the skills provided. ;)

In-fact here's the level. No screen shot of what it looks like (sorry Giga).
I saved a replay of the solution. If anyone wants it I can put it up.

I also looked at Tricky 24 in pillar style and it's more like a repetitive building session with gaps in the blocks, whereas if you look at the Crystal or snow style the tightrope disappears completely.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »
well close but no i ment like
the cristals look like rubys

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:30:03 PM »
Here's a wtf level I made myself.  I call it "Pillars in Space!"

I guess when I made it, I used OhNo viewer style, so this happened when I tried to open it later.

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 03:20:31 AM »
Not like wtflevels

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 04:21:22 AM »
Hey, I like wtf levels. :D I've tried a few of these before - and incredibly, some are still playable and even solvable. I also found a way to create "super-wtf" levels (in Lemmix) where some of the terrain pieces turn to groups of random pixels - sometimes even these are playable too. I'll post pics and instructions in a moment...

Anyway, I think what Giga means by "swapping textures" is leaving the shapes of the terrain pieces the same, but changing the colour patterns on the tiles to make them look like they're from a different tileset. I'm not sure how you'd go about that though, since each tileset has lots of different textures on its various tiles, and you'd somehow have to choose one for each tile that you want to change.

However, I know something that might work, and achieve a similar effect. You could remake a level in another tileset, in such a way that every pixel of terrain on the remake corresponds to a pixel of terrain in the original level. In other words, rather than just making it functionally similar to the original (like the upper half of minimac's pic), make it exactly identical. Then what you get is the same level, but with different coloured terrain.

(EDIT: What the heck happened to the level in minimac's pic? The terrain pieces clearly aren't in the same places. I just tried this myself and got the same thing.)
(EDIT2: OK, I figured it out. Terrain objects with IDs that exceed the maximum of the new tileset (crystal in this case) get reset to 0 and shifted to (0,0). All things considered, that's probably a good thing.)

In some cases, this would be difficult, or even impossible with the 400 terrain limit (try replicating "ROCKY ROAD" in Crystal for example :P), but it should be doable for smaller levels with straight terrain.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »
Anyway, I think what Giga means by "swapping textures" is leaving the shapes of the terrain pieces the same, but changing the colour patterns on the tiles to make them look like they're from a different tileset.

You can probably get 90% there if you just change the color palette of the graphics set.  But this is nowhere as interesting as wtf levels, or even remaking a level entirely with another graphics set.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 08:00:39 AM »
OK, this took forever, but I've started a new thread for WTF levels. With pics of course ;)

I might try one of these "pixel-exact remakes" soon. A small level of course :P

Offline GigaLem

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
good idea clam spammer besides
this topic is like Ideas for extending graphic sets
but in a texture swap way

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »
OK, this took forever, but I've started a new thread for WTF levels]http://www.lemmingsforums.com/index.php?topic=226]WTF levels. With pics of course ;)

I might try one of these "pixel-exact remakes" soon. A small level of course :P

OK, here you go. Try this one :) ONML required.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »
Um, that's nice but... what level are you remaking there? Are you sure you posted that in the right thread?

And I just realised I messed up the code for the link (never mind that I forgot to underline it :P). It's fixed now.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 03:57:00 AM »
All right, I don't know what level minimac's remaking there, but this one should definitely look familiar.

This is a pixel-perfect remake of "Stepping Stones" (Mayhem 17) in the dirt tileset. (And be sure to let me know if it's not exact.)