Lemmings Boards > Challenges

Fall distance challenge

(1/4) > >>

Minim:
OK, let's see if this next challenge is as interesting as the others.

For this challenge, you use the default skillset and the default requirements. The only difference is that the lemmings can't fall quite as far as they usually can. I've sent a PM to namida about changing the fall distance to work on Lemmix, and mentioned that 47 pixels would be the proposed new max fall distance, so that most of the levels should still provide a solid challenge. The most notable level that won't work at all will be "We all fall down", so we'll leave that one out and focus on all the others.

Of course, we might need an agreement first before we can get this set up properly. We might even need to lower the height on some of the trapdoors (For example, Wicked 18) to prevent the challenge from being too unfair.

Simon:
Consider spawning new lemmings with -16 pixels already fallen, such that the max fall distance from hatch is still 63. Then you can keep hatch positions as they are.

What was the idea behind exactly 47 pixels? Simply because kill distance is then 3/4 of 64 and those are nice numbers? Or are there frequently stacked objects in the levels with a height of 48?

-- Simon

namida:
MiniMac doesn't seem to be online, so here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5vaw07blvvkzaj5/LP47.zip

The versions with "IB" in the names also have the instant bomber mechanic.

ccexplore:
Given what namida had been able to do with modifying Lemmix, I'd actually like the ability to actually set the fall distance via the INI file.  Then the challenge can actually be configured as finding the smallest max-fall distance where the level remains solvable.  47 (actually more likely 48--see next paragraph) can still be use as a starting point for people, so that it doesn't get too tedious hunting down the exact smallest number.  We can optionally report a second set of results where we apply the exemption on the initial spawn-falling as Simon suggested (perhaps configurable also via the INI file).

Note that in terms of the actual implementation of the game mechanics, the number the game is using is really 60 to get the effect of a maximum cliff height of 63 pixels being safe for a walker falling off.  I also seem to recall that due to the way the code updates the various variables involved, unless you change that code (rather than just changing the numeric constant it uses in the comparison that determines splat/no-splat), you would only be able to change the max safe-fall distance in decrements of 3 when you just change the number, because certain numbers would have equivalent effect in the code with respect to the fall distance.  (If you still have some questions about this, PM me and I can explain in detail what I mean.)

Proxima:
Since I don't see the rationale for choosing 47 in particular, I suggest a starting-point of 36 -- the smallest max-fall distance in which the training levels (Fun 1-7) can be passed if no other changes are made. (The highest non-floater fall in these levels is from the trapdoor in Fun 4.)

minimac highlighted Wicked 18. The fall from the trapdoor on this level is 60 pixels, but you get two floaters, so I don't see any reason to lower the trapdoor. (Indeed, if you don't, the level is trivial for this challenge, since there are no other medium or long falls in the normal solution!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version