Author Topic: The reverse levels challenge thread  (Read 29145 times)

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: The reverse levels challenge thread
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2011, 05:41:52 AM »
Reverse Wicked 12 with +1 builder, +2bashers.

And reverse Mayhem 24 with +1 climber, +2 blockers, +7 builders, +2 bashers, +1 miner (so 13 total), unsurprisingly with sliding.  This one also needs the pause trick, although I've also found other solutions (but using more skills) that work w/o it.

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
The entrances on the two reversed Just a Minute levels are set too high, it's suffering from the splat-on-dig-pit problem.  I've attached alternate versions of the levels with the entrances lowered as much as possible while still having lemmings emerged aboveground (well more like on-ground), to maximize your available time.

That said, even minimac's original versions can be handled with naive solution involving +50 climbers, +1 blocker and +1 builder, with about 10 game seconds to spare.  I suppose you can put that down as a result although I'm sure you can do a lot better with sliding.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2011, 03:44:13 PM »
The entrances on the two reversed Just a Minute levels are set too high, it's suffering from the splat-on-dig-pit problem.  I've attached alternate versions of the levels with the entrances lowered as much as possible while still having lemmings emerged aboveground (well more like on-ground), to maximize your available time.

I agree with your idea, and I'll post results based on your improved levels.

That said, even minimac's original versions can be handled with naive solution involving +50 climbers, +1 blocker and +1 builder, with about 10 game seconds to spare.  I suppose you can put that down as a result although I'm sure you can do a lot better with sliding.

Or, we could possibly try and improve it using that special Reverse Fun 5 basher method, if we could turn the lemmings around at the right time.

I'll put those results down anyway. Just to correct you that there is a climber in 27. So at the moment, 16 needs 52 skills, and 27 needs 51.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
Here's reverse Frost 10 with +1 basher.  So I think we've dealt with all the levels people have worried about lack of time, except Mayhem 3, which Clam said he'll retry after everything else.

And so people don't forget about the other two Xmas games, here's reverse Xmas92 level #2 with original skillset, sliding again.

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »
I love this idea.

Here's a different take on it: [I didn't feel like creating a new topic just for one level, though I may do this with other levels... It doesn't look like this thread is very active right now anyway]

When I looked at 'Call in the bomb squad' I thought; why not put all that decorative terrain to use? :)
note: I didn't attempt this myself yet, so I'll be interested to see the results
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline mobius

• relax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2012, 03:25:29 AM »
for the steel side I intended to take a few pieces away so you could get through. But right now I think I just put the exit on the right side. Or is the entrance there and exit in the middle? I forget  :D
Anyway I was thinking of doing that with all the levels that have decorations on the side. I might just make a level pack about something like that.

I should say that I'm terrible with keeping records and I'm generally not competitive at all so don't count on me for that sort of thing.
everything by me: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5982.msg96035#msg96035

"Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away."
-Hakuin Ekaku

"I have seen a heap of trouble in my life, and most of it has never come to pass" - Mark Twain

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2012, 01:13:04 AM »
Time to get rid of those irksome blank spaces in the table....

Taxing 30/Mayhem 11, unsurprisingly, works with +10 builders, the same as Fun 13.

Save Me is a real pain, but there's just enough time to reach the exit by building until you nearly hit your head, alternating digging and building to get across, turning, then building a reverse bridge to catch the crowd. My result is +17 builders, +1 miner, +7 diggers (25).

Vacation in Gemland also has a huge time-limit problem going in reverse, and I can only do it by making everyone a climber. This is +49 climbers (you start with one), +2 blockers, +5 builders, +1 miner (57).

Blitz 16 can be done by glitching through the steel with +3 blockers, +12 builders, +4 bashers, +6 diggers (25).

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2012, 08:00:51 PM »
Improved Blitz 16 to +1 climber and +11 builders.

Vacation in Gemland can be done without assigning everyone a climber. Solution attached, without any regard for skill efficiency.

Also, I request the star for Mayhem 3 to be removed, as I'm not convinced it's impossible. (I suspect it's in fact possible, but I really don't want to try.)

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »
To save you the effort of counting, geoo's result for Flurry 8 is 18. I can improve this to 16: (1) At the start, place the first builder exactly so that his fourth brick lies over the 1-pixel gap, saving the next lemming. The builder will run out of bricks just before going over the holding area, saving one basher. (2) Where geoo alternates building and mining to get through the diagonal crystal, instead of the third miner, just let the lemming hit his head and turn, then build to turn him again.

Here's a better way on both Just a Minutes (+1 climber, +1 blocker, +3 builders for 5 on JAM and 4 on JAM2).

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:54 PM »
I had another go at Mayhem 29, and improved my result to 16 (1 bomber, 10 builders, 1 miner, 4 diggers).

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
Bump.

For some reason, I'm having problems getting Proxima's new replay to work. The error comes up with something like 'invalid replay header different mechanics' and I don't know how I can fix this problem. I hope this isn't going to happen to all other replays...  :scared:

In other cases, I have confirmed that with an infinite amount of time, "It's hero time" is possible with 8 extra skills, 6 builders and 2 bashers. Not too difficult once you know which route to take.
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »
My apologies. That replay was saved using Custom Lemmings mechanics. To view it, right-click the level list menu, select "Change viewer style..." and select "Custom Lemmings" before selecting "Save Me" from the level list.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2014, 11:34:22 AM »
Bump again.

On Taxing 19, I have improved it to 21 skills. Still, I'm sure this level can still be improved, especially by someone who has mastered the bomber sliding trick. The same thing goes for Crazy 12. I used two extra builders on that level (Posted replay earlier) and believe it can be done with just one if that type of trick comes into play.

Edit: I have verified a solution which uses 10 skills (In detail, 3 climbers, 2 blockers, 4 builders and 1 basher). It's very similar to Clam's Fun 18 replay (Why didn't I see it earlier?  :-[), the only differences being that you make the three free lemmings climbers once the stair is made and let one of them blow up the corner of the left wall to create a ramp for the others.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2014, 09:05:13 AM »
Some more improvements:

Crazy 3 down to 9 skills (+2 blockers, +6 builders, +1 miner)
Crazy 15 improved to 7 skills (+3 blockers, +4 builders). Needs a bit of teamwork to get the builders in the right place but should be straightforward.
Wild 1 down to 3 blockers, and another example of very basic sliding
Wild 13 improved to 6 skills (+5 builders, +1 digger) Replay just in case
Wild 15 down to +6 builders
Wild 20 down to 4 skills (+3 builders, +1 basher) Quite a fun solution to execute as long as you put the builders in the right place.
Wicked 2 down to 8 builders
Wicked 7 down to 11 skills (10 builders, 1 basher)
Blitz 4 down to 3 skills (2 builders, 1 basher)
Blitz 12 down to 7 skills (2 blockers, 4 builders, 1 basher), and another example of very basic sliding.
Frost 4 down to 12 skills (1 blocker, 9 builders, 1 basher, 1 digger)