Author Topic: Return of the Tribes - Development Thread (47 of 120 levels created)  (Read 11776 times)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile

...and with time the Tribes got lazy. The young were neither taught to swim the waters nor to climb the trees. Their parents forgot how to build homes and how to stack walls. And the old wandered off into to world and forgot the way back.
Thus the Great Capybara in the Skies got mightily angry at the Tribes and sent thunder and fire from the skies. And the earth shook and the weasels came in masses. Thus was fear droven into the hearts of the lemmings, big and small, young and old, green- and blue-haired. And whispers started - whispers about an old piece of metal, which was so brittle that when grandgrandlem Lix dropped it, it broke into twelve pieces. About an old piece of metal powerful enough to guide the Ark of Lem to the paradisal Fields of the Lush Grass, once all pieces were joined together. And so great was their fear that it was soon decided to meet at that mystical fields of arrival to try the power of the talismans again.

Can you guide each of the 12 tribes through ten perilous episodes of their journey? Try it*)!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/velq745szd8ich3/ReturnOfTheTribes_V0.3.nxp?dl=0

*) Currently only 32 43 47 of the 120 levels are made, with some of them already released in contests. Whenever I finish another few levels, I will update the level pack here. This means however that the levels in the level pack have totally random difficulty. Properly ordering them will be done once the level pack is complete.
This pack is made for NeoLemmix V10.13.16, but should be playable with slightly older versions, too.

A Heart for Lemmings

Smeagol's Dream

Manor of the Big Paw
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 03:55:11 PM by Nepster »

Offline Minim

• View Profile
Re: Return of the Tribes - Release Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:16:30 AM »
Hey. This looks like another promising NeoLemmix Project! However, I can only play the Classic Set (And heck, I can't even solve the first level! >:() If you know where the other graphic sets are, could you please upload them together in the same thread? Just didn't want to mislead any more players. Thanks.

Edit: Playing it a second time I'm now able to play the rest of the tribes. I still don't understand why the other tribes weren't available the first time? ??? Anyway. Let's see how far I can go...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:08:16 AM by Minim »
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »
If you have online features disabled, you'll need to manually get the L2+L3 style pack and put it in a "styles" subfolder.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:00:19 PM »
Epic ;P
Lemmings forever!

Im never gonna give up on this

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
Re: Return of the Tribes - Development Thread
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 08:29:26 AM »
I have replaced the April Fool's version of the first post by the serious one, now linking to a .nxp with proper levels. Given the problems with the L2 styles, they are already included in the .nxp this time, so you shouldn't get errors any more.

If anyone wants to have a look at the April Fool's version, it still can be downloaded here. If requires V1.43 and will not work on any newer NeoLemmix player (including the experimental releases). Moreover it does not yet contain the L2 styles, so (as namida already mentioned) it is advisable to enable the online feature.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:37:03 PM by Nepster »

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 08:44:39 AM »
Ha, loved those clams. Even the Rickroll music that also affected NeoLemmix helped! ;P :8(): I had a feeling you're making a new fangame based on all these levels you were releasing in the Physics Bugs section and the contests.

It seems that the two Sports levels are both "Everybody's Fool" with the exact same skillset, number of lemmings and release rate.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »
Thanks for the info. This toolkit-bug is really annoying! If you download the .nxp again, there should be only one sports level now.

Offline RubiX

• Amiga <3 The memories
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
Oh cool.  I wasn't expecting there to be a real version and thought it was made only for the April Fools joke.
Thanks. 

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 07:33:35 PM »
Attached are my solutions for the 0.1 version. Great levels here :thumbsup: and nice to see the tilesets in action! ;)

I used a couple of solid left/right edges here and there for the solutions which (as far as I know your style) are 100% not intended. But I use whatever is possible :8():

Another thing about the left/right sides as I thought a bit about the topic: Even if they become deadly, I think using the deadly sides actively in a lot of levels just to maintain a snaller level size is not a very good design choice. This would also apply for NepsterLems and even the packs which take advantage of the solid ones. I also don't rely on the solid sides aswell and if I need them, I use a steel wall nowdays to make it clear for the player.
Maybe I'll make a general post in the level design board about this over the days as using the sides in general feels a bit dirty to me. I prefer the deadly sides by now, but even with the change it is a very inconsistant concept across all Lemming games. So why rely on them at all and confuse players. Make a water pool at the sides or put some decoration there, but just to force a smaller level size seems not the right use for them.
My design proposal would be: Don't rely on the left/right side behavior at all.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 06:53:24 PM »
Is the first (only?) level of the April version solvable? Required old game version, okay.

-- Simon

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »
The first level of the April version is solvable (and will likely stay this way in newer NeoLemmix versions). However the level is completely unfair and disregards almost every design guideline. Replay of a solution is attached.

IchoTolot found quite a lot of backroutes to the serious version. I will give a more detailed feedback including backroute-fixes later.

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »
Here the feedback for IchoTolot's solutions/backroutes.

[...] I prefer the deadly sides by now, but even with the change it is a very inconsistant concept across all Lemming games. So why rely on them at all and confuse players. Make a water pool at the sides or put some decoration there, but just to force a smaller level size seems not the right use for them.
My design proposal would be: Don't rely on the left/right side behavior at all.
Actually, with the exception of Slowfreeze I wasn't aware of the backroutes using the solid sides. This is of course partially my own fault, because I didn't explicitely check for such backroutes. In the next version, this will (hopefully) be fixed.

Comments on single levels (click to show/hide)

Offline Wafflem

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 02:35:42 AM »
Here are some replays of the levels I was able to beat! Nice to see some new levels using the Tribes styles! I've also noticed that All Ice in Wonderland and Manor of the Big Paw are remakes of levels from NepsterLems! :)

Classic:
Only stackers can survive this - not sure if this is an intended solution.
Glide if you love lemmings - this one has two replays. Both are most likely backroutes.

Circus:
Let's Misbehave - likely a backroute as I am left with one basher.

Cavelem:
Smeagol's Dream - not sure if this is intended or not.

Space:
753 - looks like a major backroute as I am left with one stoner and one blocker.

Egyptian:
Temple of Hathor - this one leaves me with one basher.

Highland:
Serpentine Way - most likely a major backroute.

Polar:
All the 9's - this one should be an acceptable solution, since as you said this level has multiple solutions. Were those disarmers meant as decoys though, since this level doesn't have any traps?

Medieval:
Stonerhenge - looks like a major backroute.
YouTube: www.tinyurl.com/YTWafflem
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/Wafflem467

Have level designer's block right now? Have some of my incomplete levels for LOTS of ideas!

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 04:39:40 PM »
I've also noticed that All Ice in Wonderland and Manor of the Big Paw are remakes of levels from NepsterLems! :)
Well, the terrain layout is quite similar, but they (will once backroute-fixed) feature completely different solutions, namely namida's backroutes to the NepsterLems levels.

Regarding your other replays: (click to show/hide)

Offline Nepster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2016, 10:00:08 PM »
After hibernating for six months, the tribes may advance a bit further on their journey: 12 new levels got added in V0.2 and most of the other levels got backroute-fixes. Have fun!