Author Topic: Glitches in Lemmings (old thread)  (Read 34787 times)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
Re: Glitches in Lemmings (SPOILER WARNING)
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
...That is by far the most creative and genius solution I've ever seen to any lemmings level ever.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2009, 11:31:08 PM »
There's something for Ubuntu, but I don't know how to stop it...  :P

Offline geoo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2009, 12:04:09 AM »
Ok, uploaded it to the Lemmings File Portal.
Feel free to put a video of the solution on YouTube.

Funny thing is that all the time I assumed ClamSpammer actually had found a solution that saved >25 lemmings, i.e. more than just the climbers and only fell a few Lemmings short of the 100%. I never thought of nuking (I assume it is the key to that solution). I only read ccexplore's notion about nuking after I had already found my solution, the knowledge of the existance of a 1 builder solution was what actually made me give it another try; long time ago I had already tried a 1 builder solution to that level but given up prematurely.

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2009, 01:40:46 AM »
Oh, I didn't actually say this before. Yes, I used the nuke glitch and just saved the 20 climbers. This was at a time when the nuke glitch was the strategy du jour (in my mind at least) and I was trying to find as many uses for it as possible :D

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2009, 03:31:25 AM »
Here's the youtube video of geoo89's solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3MunMkw1M

As it turns out, it's pretty easy to get decent screen recordings off of Lemmix, if I just set the screen resolution low enough and set the capture framerate to something low like 20 (since the actual game uses a low framerate anyway).

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »
Wow, that is absolutely brilliant. :thumbsup: I can't imagine how long it took for you to come up with that method, geoo. It blows my mind.  :XD:

Now, as you can probably tell, I play the SEGA Master System version of Lemmings. While the game does hold together suprisingly well, there are a few glitches:

• There are at least two glitches common between the DOS and SMS versions: Miners clearing one-pixel gaps, and climbers pulling away slightly from the wall when they hit the ceiling and fall.

• If you time it well, you can turn a digger into a blocker, and it will float in mid-air for a very brief moment. It will then become a walker again after realising it's not standing on anything.
    Quote from: Spoiler
    This can be used to rescue 100% on Taxing 6 (Compression Method), the hole bypassing the trap.

• If there are less than 30 seconds remaining, the clock will continuously blink. If you pause when the clock is visible (and unpause when it's not), the clock will not run down. Apparently, I can beat Mayhem 3 (It's Hero Time) in just over 30 seconds.  :D

• If you pause the game the moment a shrugging builder turns back into a walker, the lemming will animate in a very weird way. It will go through pretty much all the animations in the game. After a while (the time it takes to build 11/4 bridges), he will shrug once more. You could attempt to perform the glitch again, or let him walk on.
    Quote from: Spoiler
    Using this method, it might be possible to rescue 100% on Mayhem 2 (The Boiler Room). However, I have not been very successful so far.
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2009, 12:06:47 PM »
Mayhem 2 in Master System is possible to acheive 100% on without any glitches. Easy, no, possible, yes. In general, unless a level requires blockers or bombers for creating the actual path, you can acheive 100% on it in the Sega version. The only exceptions are Fun 11 and Taxing 28, and it should be obvious why 100% is impossible on these two. Fun 11 requires either builders, miners or diggers - which are the three skills you don't have. (You could do it if you had 20 Climbers and Floaters instead of 10, but that would destroy the point of the level anyway.) Taxing 28 should be obvious (for the record, Mayhem 10 is possible despite a similar setup because the fall is much smaller in the SMS version and you still get all 3 floaters, as well as RR1 functioning as MUCH slower).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2009, 04:22:16 PM »
Mayhem 2 in Master System is possible to acheive 100% on without any glitches. Easy, no, possible, yes.

Fair enough. ;)  I have tried for a while, but I keep running out of builders. Another problem I get is I can't contain the lemmings long enough to finish building the route to the exit with builders alone. I've also tried connecting a bridge to the column beneath the finish, but the lemmings bang their heads before it's complete.

I haven't given up yet, though. When I get back home tonight, I'm thinking that my dear beloved climbers might have a say, and tackle the problem from a different angle.

Edit: YEEESS!! That Climber idea worked a treat. 100% achieved on Mayhem 2. :D
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2009, 08:21:03 AM »
Congratulations.

By the way, is your avatar photoshopped, or is there actually an editor for the SMS version out there?
My Lemmings projects

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »
Photoshopped, i'm afraid. Lemmings for the SMS isn't programmed as simple as the other SMS games i've looked at. For the most part, it makes sense, but i'm not sure how the game pieces the levels together.

Anyway, that's a different topic for another time.

I have found more glitches for the Master System version, and they involve bashers. Controlled pausing and unpausing will freeze a basher while the other lemmings keep moving. Timing is crucual in order to see this work. Not often enough will not trigger the glitch. Too often will also freeze the walkers.

The other glitch is bashers can pass through blockers if timed well.
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2009, 07:48:16 AM »
It IS possible to drown the lemmings in Flurry 8, Vacation in Gemland. I've always wanted to do that. :D :D :D

I love to do it as well. Can you show me a replay under the "Blooper solutions" topic?
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »
Hey, that's a great idea! I'll do it right now. 8)

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2009, 06:46:19 PM »
I was trying namida's Tricky 12-no builders challenge when I discovered by accident that you can make a basher get stuck between 2 blockers so he bashes to infinity. There must be "basheable material" in both directions in order to this glitch to work.

Well, you guys probably already know about this glitch (didn't read the whole thread, sorry). Anyway, I attached a replay. The glitch happens when the clock shows 5:20, so feel free to fast forward it  ;P
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Minim

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »
Well, you guys probably already know about this glitch

No! You have just found a completely innovative glitch! :thumbsup:
Level Solving Contest creator. Anybody bored and looking for a different challenge? Try these levels!

Neolemmix: #1 #4 #5 #6
Lix: #2  #7
Both Engines: #3

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2009, 06:59:12 PM »
OMG! Did I?
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.