Author Topic: Glitches in Lemmings (old thread)  (Read 34786 times)

Offline Clam

• Smiley: :8():
    • View Profile
Re: Glitches in Lemmings (SPOILER WARNING)
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
Like everything else in Lemmings, this has been discovered already. In fact I wouldn't even consider it a glitch, rather a (admittedly bizarre) combination of intended game mechanics.

Don't let this discourage you - I've been there before. Several times, in fact. I thought I'd found something completely new when I found that falling "oh-no"ing blockers take trigger areas with them - and then I found a custom level, made years ago, that uses this in its solution.

Offline Fernito

• Mapper wannabe
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2009, 08:22:20 PM »
haha, don't worry. As soon as this "pseudoglitch" happened to me, I supposed that I wasn't the first one finding it ;)

PS: would love to play that custom level that uses the blocker-trigger area glitch you mentioned :o Do you have a link or something?
Like prog metal? Listen at Izkemia on MySpace or Facebook.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2009, 08:43:41 PM »
If you've played a lot of custom levels, then you may well have seen it before. I won't post the link here though - I doubt the author would mind if I did, but just to be absolutely sure, I'll PM you instead.

Offline chaos_defrost

• the artist formerly known as Insane Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2009, 10:29:41 PM »
Here's the youtube video of geoo89's solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3MunMkw1M

As it turns out, it's pretty easy to get decent screen recordings off of Lemmix, if I just set the screen resolution low enough and set the capture framerate to something low like 20 (since the actual game uses a low framerate anyway).

It's quite a bit late, but this is one of the most amazing videos I've ever seen. Not even one of the most amazing Lemmings videos, but the most amazing videos of any kind.
"こんなげーむにまじになっちゃってどうするの"

~"Beat" Takeshi Kitano

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2009, 11:34:27 PM »
Has this glitch been discovered yet?

Lemmings 2 Glitch, see attachment.

The glitch may have something to do with the 16x8 tiles thing, but I don't know.  Either way, it's interesting.

Offline Pooty

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2009, 11:43:05 PM »
Odd. I wonder how that happened. Clearly some funky tile stuff at work here. Did the trapdoor look like that as and after it opened, or did it revert?
SEGA Master System version
100% on 110/120 levels (92%). Other levels [Lemmings lost]:
Fun 03 [3], 06 [2], 18 [5]   
Taxing 19 [5], 27 [1], 28 [3]
Tricky 15 [5], 17 [2]
Mayhem 19 [7], 26 [10]

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2009, 11:44:30 PM »
I didn't notice it at first, so I don't know.  If anyone can find out how to make it happen, I'd love to know.

Offline Adam

• Just one more level....
    • View Profile
    • Lemmings Forums
« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2009, 11:53:09 PM »
A couple of Sega Master System glitches, and one semi-glitch.

If a faller doesn't splat when landing on water, they can be saved by building immediately as they hit on water. Similarly, once a digger has finished digging and is about to fall, you can make the digger build a platform on thin air.

On levels with multiple entrances, when you build over one entrance, the bricks are copied onto other entrances.

You can stop diggers with blockers, they will stop digging and start walking in the direction they were going.

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2009, 06:47:26 AM »
Has this glitch been discovered yet?

Lemmings 2 Glitch, see attachment.

The glitch may have something to do with the 16x8 tiles thing, but I don't know.  Either way, it's interesting.

I just tried to reproduce this, but without success. I managed to get the lemmings a position identical to those in your pic, but the trapdoor appeared normal. Strangely, while the lemmings were all in the same positions in my game, their animation frames were different - the blocker was looking the other way, the two lemmings on the right had their arms in different positions (meaning their animations were 4 frames off compared to yours), and the crowd on the left looked different too (perhaps drawn in the opposite order?) I'm using the "fixed" version of L2, maybe that has something to do with it.

And while I was testing this, I found something even weirder. I set the blocker to explode, and while it was counting down, the two lemmings on the right struck an invisible wall (which didn't exist before or after this occurence) and turned around. See attached pic: note that the blocker is counting down to explode, and the lemmings on the right are spaced exactly the same as in Dullstar's pic.

I have managed to reproduce this behaviour on another level (Classic 1). The key to making it work seems to be the basher. If you set the blocker, use a basher (anywhere seems to work) and then explode the blocker, then there's a chance you might notice something odd. :D

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
I'm surprised this hasn't got a much greater response, considering how bizarre it is. Anyway, I think it would be better for Lemmings 2 glitches to have their own thread, so I'm going to start one now.

Link to new thread

Offline alfonz1986

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
Another borderline glitch is when digging down an edge (a few pixels out) if you turn the lemming into a blocker he stops digging and falls down as a walker straight away.

One more: When digging down if another lemming travelling the opposite direction is made into a digger at the exact same location as the original digger. He takes over and the other lemming is freed. So now you have a digger facing the opposite direction. Very useful for crowd control without builders.

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
I would say both of those phenomena fall under the category of obscure (or familiar, for some  8)) game mechanics.  For example, the digger+blocker combo simply takes advantage of the fact that a digger only needs one pixel under him to keep digging, and it can be on his extreme left or right (actually, the pixel doesn't even have to be under the digger of course; the "digger field" extends one pixel beyond his feet on both sides), whereas a blocker needs a couple pixels of terrain directly under his feet to remain a blocker.

The second "glitch" is similarly dependent on subtle (albeit probably intentional) game mechanics. If a digger has no terrain under him within his "field", he stops digging, and a second digger can create this situation quite easily.

Doubtless, however, these are both very useful mechanics for us level authors to take advantage of  :evil:
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline GigaLem

• The Dog That Brought Lemmings to Avalice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
What are the most known lemmings gliches?

Offline Yawg

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2010, 04:17:56 AM »
As far as I know, all currently known glitches are listed towards the beginning of this thread.
Finally released my 6th level pack! Ten levels intended to push you quite a bit beyond the expectations of Mayhem/Havoc; check 'em out and let me know what you think!

http://camanis.net/lemmings/levelpacks.php?info&pack=174

Offline Clam

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
Giga was asking for the "most known" glitches. I'd guess that removing steel by digging near it (if you consider it a "glitch") is probably one of the better known ones, since it's easy to do by accident.