Author Topic: Where does DOS Lemmings get level order information from?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Johannes

• View Profile
Where does DOS Lemmings get level order information from?
« on: July 21, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »
Hi,

I think I asked this a couple years back on the old forum, but I never got an answer there, so I'll try my luck once again :)

Does anyone know where DOS Lemmings gets its level order/difficulty information from? The levels are wildly distributed across the various level data files, and I have no idea where to look for a list of levels in game order. Or is the order hard-coded into the executable?

Thanks!
Johannes

Offline ccexplore

• View Profile
Re: Where does DOS Lemmings get level order information from?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:27:43 AM »
Yeah, it's hardcoded into the EXE as a table.  For each level the table entry can either point directly to a levelXXX file and position within file, or I think it can point to an entry in ODDTABLE.DAT for repeated level (where the ODDTABLE file will continue contain the changed stats for the repeat--note that "repeat" in most case is actually the earlier, easiest appearance of the level).

It's been a while since I worked it out so I'll have to dig around to find out more details.  I'm curious, why does it matter to you?

Offline Johannes

• View Profile
Re: Where does DOS Lemmings get level order information from?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »
Hmm, I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll have to solve it the same way I did for PocketLemmings then - by including ini files to list the levels.

As to why I'm asking: the Android remake I'm working on will be able to load the original levels, and I'm trying to get it to read as much information directly from the original assets as possible.