Author Topic: [SUG] Menu Music & Postview Jingles  (Read 3073 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG] Menu Music & Postview Jingles
« on: June 18, 2023, 05:49:58 PM »
If I can get this working, would anyone like to see this feature in SuperLemmix? Would you use it?

As a side question - should Failure/Success jingles be brought back (bear in mind that such jingles can be long music tracks, not just a few seconds) so that the music in the Postview screen can be different depending on whether or not the level is completed?

Or, should these screens remain silent?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 05:26:59 PM by WillLem »

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
Re: [SUG] Menu Music & Postview Jingles
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 06:03:20 PM »
I kinda like them. I know Strato's World Tour uses them, Gigalems' sampler pack and his Festive Millas 2022 (A pack I actually played and finished) and Flopsys  GGF Optional sound pack has a custom jingles.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 05:27:10 PM by WillLem »

Online jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 07:14:48 PM »
I would like them back, but with an option to disable. I usually prefer silence... but, I always want to hear people's custom pack tunes, so I keep it on. And Strato certainly did a great job on his.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 05:27:18 PM by WillLem »
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 01:59:34 AM »
OK, I guess we can bring the Jingles back. We'll have a single option to toggle them on or off, and they'll be per-pack customisable, as before.

Meanwhile, we could also play music in the Main Menu. This would of course also be optional, either via the same option as Jingles (which would then become a catch-all to mute all menu sound) or via its own dedicated option.

Here's what I'm going to aim for:

Main Menu: plays music; either default SLX music, or music from the level pack directory, which will play on repeat until gameplay begins.

Preview Screen: does nothing; if music is already playing from the Main Menu, then it continues to play over the Preview screen. Or, if Menu sound/music has stopped for any reason, the Preview screen is silent.

Postview Screen: plays jingles for success or failure; again, the jingle sound will continue to play over the next Preview screen, but otherwise the Preview is silent.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 05:27:25 PM by WillLem »

Offline Floyd Brannon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 02:09:51 AM »
I like the sound of all of this. I never liked the default jingles of NeoLemmix but I like the idea. And some packs make good use of the jingles. The other changes sound great!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 05:27:33 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 05:31:30 PM »
We have Postview Jingles again - they work exactly as they currently do in NeoLemmix.

Still working on Menu Music - I'm nearly there with it, but the volume is always set to some default value whenever SLX is loaded. In order to apply the user-set music volume, it's necessary to open and close the config dialog (without changing anything).

I'm not sure why this is, or how to call the user-set volume when loading and playing the menu music, but... I'll keep looking.

Also, it's necessary for all files relating to Jingles & Menu Music to be in .ogg format. Again, not sure why this is - everywhere else, music and sound can be in almost any format. I'll see if I can update this somehow.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 02:45:07 PM »
OK, menu music works better now; it plays at the user-set volume when loading SLX.

Still can't figure out why the file needs to be in .ogg format, though. I'm using the exact same code as for loading regular music, which can be in any format, so I'm not sure what's going wrong here.

It's not the worst thing, since .ogg files are lossless and tend to be much smaller than .wav or .mp3, but it does mean users have to have a way of converting files to .ogg... (maybe I could write a format converter ;P)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 12:49:15 PM »
OK, so it turns out that the file extension check was only looking in the default music folder, so the custom menu music had to match whatever format the default happens to be in.

This is fixed in commit dfc091445, so we now have customisable menu music which can be in any format :)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 12:02:05 AM »
Menu Music has been removed as a feature, effective as of 2.6. It's a good idea in principle, but unfortunately gets quite messy once per-pack customisation is involved, and causes noticeable loading slowdown which is never good.

Postview Jingles are still implemented, exactly as they are in NeoLemmix.

Menu Music removed in Commit dfb90fa6d.