Author Topic: [SUG] New skill - Surfer  (Read 1041 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
[SUG] New skill - Surfer
« on: July 10, 2023, 10:13:49 AM »
From this topic:

Quote from: Strato Incendus
Surfer: We have previously discussed the utility of “one-time use” skills, which can create an interesting restriction to design levels around. Much like the “non-permanent skills” gimmick used to do, in NeoLemmix 1.43, where Climbers / Floaters etc. would lose their skills after a single use. The Surfer would be a non-permanent Swimmer. Alternatively, the same role could be given to the Kayaker. Obviously, that makes the respective other skill redundant. So if we decide we might want this, there should only be either the Surfer OR the Kayaker.
Note that neither the Surfer nor the Kayaker would be able to dive, which is a mechanic that does come up with Swimmers every now and then.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [SUG] New skill - Surfer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 10:14:51 AM »
This one's a good idea. Swimmers are already less redundant due to the new "Poison" zombifier object, and I like the idea of a lem being able to quickly access another part of the level, but not necessarily be able to get back as easily as if they were a Swimmer. Surfers could also be protected from Poison, as well (unless they come into contact with a Swimming zombie, that is).

Support for this idea? Thoughts? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 11:41:19 AM by WillLem »

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 12:09:16 PM »
In the interests of preventing SLX being swamped with an L2-like mess of very similar skills, I can't help pointing out that if SLX will have NL's new objects, then any time you want a one-use swimmer, you can put a permanent skill remover object on the other side of a water pond. There would be some potential for backrouting levels by bypassing the remover, but this can be prevented with careful design of the terrain and skillset.

With a suitable terrain setup, a glider can also cross a water pond in one direction while being unable to cross in the other.

Offline Strato Incendus

• The King of Shimmiers (crowned by Flopsy ;D )
  • #RIP Spearer/Grenader (2020 - 2021)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 06:01:13 PM »
Proxima made some excellent points here. The Surfer definitely wouldn’t be at the top of my list, especially if the suggested maximum number of different skills WillLem put forth is 28 (if I’m counting right, we’re already at 24 now?).

Then it might be more valuable to have some more unique, potentially even non-L2-based skills (like the Batter / Flinger) in there than to add four more skills all from L2 for the sake of it.
My packs so far:
Lemmings World Tour (New & Old Formats), my music-themed flagship pack, 320 levels - Let's Played by Colorful Arty
Lemmings Open Air, my newest release and follow-up to World Tour, 120 levels
Paralems (Old Formats), a more flavour-driven one, 150 levels
Pit Lems (Old Formats), a more puzzly one, 100 levels - Let's Played by nin10doadict
Lemmicks, a pack for (very old) NeoLemmix 1.43 full of gimmicks, 170 levels

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 10:59:30 PM »
Agreed on all points. Happy to not get too carried away, especially since it's me who'll be doing all the programming!

Oh - except, it's likely that SLX won't be getting skill removers/assigners. These are objects I voted against, and generally don't like the idea of. Portals are in though, for sure :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 09:48:59 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 10:41:44 PM »
Doing a bit of catching up on the wish list and gathering all the various threads of ideas together today. I think we can safely rule out the Surfer - at this point, it's more likely we'll either get the Hoverboarder, or maybe some sort of super-Runner that can run across Water objects, rather than a dedicated skill just for this one niche purpose.

Topic closed 21/7/23

EDIT 28/723 - It's been decided that, due to the increased variety of water-object-types in SuperLemmix, having a skill that ignores them all renders these game elements potentially redundant, and so isn't something I'd like to introduce at this point. See this post for more details/context regarding the Hoverboarder skill.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 12:55:09 AM by WillLem »