Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Forum LDC Compilation Pack  (Read 8065 times)

Offline Armani

• :D
    • View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Lemmings Forum LDC Compilation Pack
« on: January 24, 2023, 05:35:54 AM »
Last Update : October 2nd 2023
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Lemmings Forum LDC Compilation Pack! :D

- The pack compiles the levels from the past contests in chronological order :
List of contests (click to show/hide)

- I’ve compiled all the contest levels into a single pack so the old levels don’t get forgotten and one can play them in the latest NL. I'm going to update the pack from time to time.
 - I modified some levels to make them solvable since several NL physics changes(especially swimmer/glider changes) broke them
 - Converting from old lvl to nxlv sometimes messes up the directions and positions of some terrain pieces/objects so these levels probably are not exactly identical to the original levels.
 - If a level is released later modified, I just include the re-made version.
 - I didn't include any custom musics.
 - All levels are proven solvable. You can download the pack and the solution replays below. :D

Download Links(Dropbox):

- Level Pack: Lemmings Forum LDC Compilation Pack

- Custom Styles: Styles
* There are some levels using tilesets that you can not download via NL style manager. You have to manually download them to play the following levels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

- Solution Replays: LDC solutions_Armani
These are my own solutions which means they are just proof of solvability not the intended solutions by the authors! ;)
At least I've tried to find something look like the intended solutions and didn't include replays that are obviously backroutes! :crylaugh:

Here're some screenshots!
screenshots (click to show/hide)

Enjoy! :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 11:51:12 PM by Armani »
My newest Neolemmix level pack : Lemmings Halloween 2023 :D 8-)

About Armani: Armani's Blog
My NL level packs(in chronological order):
  Lemmings Uncharted [Medium~Extreme]
  Xmas Lemmings 2021 [Easy~Very Hard]
  Lemmings Halloween 2023 [Easy-Very Hard]

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemmings Forum LDC Compilation Pack
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 06:57:15 AM »
Wow, nice work on this! :thumbsup: Should make it easier for me to do my playthrough of all contest levels, which I honestly haven't done anything about it for a long time now. I think I played up through the second or third LDC from a while back, so I should probably get back to doing this again soon.

Also thanks for including a screenshot of one of my levels! :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed
kaywhyn's blog: https://www.lemmingsforums.net/index.php?topic=5363.0

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 04:09:35 PM »
Tested the solutions to my levels and they all are acceptable. :)

Going through all the contests and looking at all the levels was also a nice travel through time for me!

Contest 1 was roughly a bit after I joined the forum and you can see very good in this pack when certain people joined and left/became inactive there. :)

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 05:09:13 PM »
The first level's intro says (compliation) instead of (compilation). I didn't check later level intros.

But, I'm liking it.

I also made a Logo for the pack. I had to copy it into each of the four level folders inside the pack for it to work for me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 05:32:54 PM by jkapp76 »
...Jeremy Kapp

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 06:22:31 PM »
* There are some levels using tilesets that you can not download via NL style manager. You have to manually download them to play the following levels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wait, isn't the style for A Roundabout Trip in Style Manager? I just checked and I was able to redownload lt_classic (and the other Lemmings Tribes styles) through the Style Manager, so did I screw up with that level somehow?

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 03:33:42 AM »
@jkapp76 Thanks! I fixed the pretext and included the logo :laugh:
@The Tomato Watcher I just checked the style library and indeed it was downloadable already. My bad :XD:

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 03:16:37 PM »
What does LDC stand for?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 04:33:53 PM »
What does LDC stand for?

LDC = Level Design Contest

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 11:31:25 AM »
Just posting to say that all your solutions to my contest levels are intended/acceptable! :thumbsup: Even though I only have levels starting from LDC 22 and onward, looking back I must say I'm quite disgusted and ashamed at some of my own levels. My R2 from LDC 24 especially comes to mind :( Just seeing all those pickups everywhere made me cringe at how terrible the level overall looks now. I thought the puzzle in it is quite clever, but you totally ripped it apart with terrible backroute after backroute :crylaugh: Also, I was always in agreement with Icho's remark about my very early designs being rough visually and not fused very well, but on the bright side indeed I do see a tremendous amount of personal growth and progress in that area in the last 2 years, and I'm very happy to hear/read that compliment from both you and Icho on that ;) Indeed, the steady improvements in the visuals really show in my most recent levels/designs. Once again, thank you for picking my R1 from LDC 24 for the screenshot :thumbsup: I hope in the current LDC that's going on that I have continued to improve in the visuals to both you and Icho's liking :)

In any case, I think sometime in the future I will find time to touch up some of my levels that can use a face lift visually. Most notably, my R1 and R3 from LDC 22 (my very first levels I have ever made and again thanks Icho for the feedback on the latter there! ;)) and R3 from LDC 23 could all use some touching up. When I do, I'll post updates for them here so that they can replace the ones in the collection pack :thumbsup:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPMqwuqZ206rBWJrUC6wkrA - My YouTube channel and you can also find my playlists of Lemmings level packs that I have LPed

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 10:44:45 PM »
It's interesting because the solution to Thanatos Gambit is not intended, but when trying to solve it myself (as well as fix a weird steel gimmick since it slightly depended on the steel zones of old), I forgot what my intended solution was.  From the bits and pieces I managed to gather though, I'm starting to wonder if the splat distance was slightly higher with the version used in "Early #LDC3"... was it Lemmix that was used?  I can't remember the mechanics exactly.

Offline kaywhyn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 08:58:13 AM »
Armani

I have helped Crane confirm that his intended solution for "Thanatos Gambit" is indeed originally for under CustLemmix mechanics, which relied on a higher splat distance. As a result, the problem fall is fatal by 1 pixel in New Formats. However, Crane has already made a fix to the level. So, expect him to upload his updated level sometime and for this to be the replacement file for the collection pack ;) Note that the replay refresher is of no help here as it's too old, as well as incompatible due to the engine it was originally for, for it to work with New Formats NL, and hence you can simply imitate the solution by watching the video.

Video of Crane's intended solution under CustLemmix: https://youtu.be/DkMS7d_9i8s

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 09:19:03 AM »
Here's the patched Thanatos Gambit.
  • Some bricks placed under the fatal fall to make it non-fatal if approached correctly (and another brick added to the opposite side of the pit for reasons of symmetry)
  • The metal plates on the first fatal drop have been adjusted, since it relied on steel zones bleeding into the non-steel terrain under CustLemmix
  • The left wall by the overhanging shredder trap has been moved to the left by a couple of pixels to prevent builders from hitting the opposite bridge and turning around (under CustLemmix, lemmings wouldn't turn around) - this unfortunately means Armani's solution is no longer possible
  • There is now a bronze talisman for completing the level without using the bomber (this is mainly for the sake of my own pack and can be removed if you like)
  • The music has been fixed to "jaguar" (for "jaguar.it")

ADDENDUM: Feel free to remove the time limit too!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 09:59:38 AM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 09:31:38 AM »
Here's also a patched version of Precarious Construction (part 2) - I did introduce one-way arrows at some point, but I can't remember if it was during the contest or not.  It's untidy but the only way to patch a backroute that involved bashing from the right side.

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 10:08:15 AM »
@kaywhyn @Crane
Thank you :thumbsup: Both fixed levels are now included in the zips.(also the solution replays accordingly ;))

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 12:33:28 PM »
Seems kaywhyn backrouted "Precarious Construction (part 2)" - it's pretty obvious too!  Here's the fix.  Also, for those curious, I've attached part 1 too.

The story with part 1 was that when I was developing the level, I decided to humour myself and give myself only 1 of everything... to my surprise, I solved it relatively easily, but I couldn't pass up a 1-of-everything level, so the submission became part 2 with the backroute patched.  I added the fix for kaywhyn's backroute to part 1 as well just so everything looks similar.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 12:47:51 PM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 06:57:45 PM »
Seems Precarious Construction (part 2) was overall an old version, since it doesn't have a nick in the "precarious construction" that exists in part 1 (which I think was to eliminate another backroute that I can't remember off-hand... if said backroute is still possible).

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 01:49:38 AM »
Got another updated level... Cloning Vats.  Somehow, one of the tiles got swapped out for another - a small steel plate with a rusted corner was replaced with one that was three times as wide.  For some reason, that piece seems to not exist in the tileset any more, so I tried my best to fix it while still looking aesthetically pleasing.

(Compare IchoToLot's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkS9opY48Ls)

Also I changed the background so you can see the solid terrain better.

EDIT: For some reason, the save requirement was 4, not 5 as shown in the video.

EDIT 2: Fixed again - see next post.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 05:31:27 PM by Crane »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2023, 05:32:40 PM »
So this level actually has a backroute fix that doesn't work on the latest version of NeoLemmix - there's some terrain just under the water's surface that a faller used to splat on, even if they were a swimmer, but a swimmer already in the water would pass over. The terrain has been lifted up slightly so a faller will always splat on it; an existing swimmer will start walking again briefly, but I don't think you can take advantage of it for backroute purposes.

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 12:04:20 AM »
I'm a little sad because S.C.R.O.O.G.E. doesn't work as intended any more... you're supposed to use a Shimmier and Glider instead of a Climber after the Platformer, but the mechanics have been changed at some point so that trick no longer works... additionally, it seems the Shimmier can be used to turn the Climber around, which didn't work before.

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023, 04:59:29 AM »
An update has been made :laugh:
(The next update will be after the current LDC is over. 8-))

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 07:10:28 PM »
Thanks for keeping everything up to date, Armani.  I've got another patched level unfortunately, mostly because I'm checking out which of my levels are suitable for my pack.  Playtesting "Run!" (Contest #16, Rule #2), I found that if you increase the release rate at the right time, you can complete the level without using one of the Climbers, so now the release rate is locked.

Normally my schtick is traditonal mechanics and skills only, but given that this is a level that uses zombies and pick-up skills, I can live with a locked release rate for this level!

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 08:15:42 PM »
Crane's intended solution for Scrooge won't work anymore starting with 12.9.0 because that's when the glider physics were changed.  I noticed this when playing 2 levels in Colorful Arty's Artlems so he updated the pack to account for it even though baroque 1 can be backrouted thanks to Armani.

But Crane's Scrooge is Not totally enforced even for earlier player versions. Can still use the climber in earlier versions.

Here is the unintended solution in Version 12.7.4 (Same version Icho used in his intended solution)
shown on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc-jZF0vjyI

Also I noticed Flopsy' withdrawn Level from LDC #19 isn't included in the pack even though it can still be downloaded in the post. Even Armani posted a solution to the level. Maybe it can be added by Armani.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:22:25 PM by ericderkovits »

Offline Crane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2023, 09:42:43 PM »
A little annoying and potentially unfixable, but I guess it's still an okay puzzle in itself.  I was confused briefly because I thought Gliders did start climbing, but I got mixed up with Jumpers, which will start climbing if they jump into a wall (and will hoist themselves up if they barely miss a ledge, even if they're not a Climber... this no longer happens with Gliders).

Oh, a little bit of fun with acronyms... S.C.R.O.O.G.E. = Scrap Christmas Right Out Of General Existence!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:18:06 PM by Crane »

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2023, 06:13:40 AM »
Updated all the levels(+replays accordingly) zip to here.
And LDC#27 is also included now. ;)

Offline ericderkovits

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2023, 08:50:42 PM »
The 2 levels which are not included: Minim's Contest 10 Rule 3 Level If you can't reach 'em... (which had Slow Freeze) and
Colorful Arty's Contest 13 Rule 3 Level Expedition To The Moon Sanctuary (Which wouldn't open for Armani), I was able to:

1) For Minims' level I made a recreation using traps instead of the slow freeze objects.
2) For Colorful Artys' level, I made from scratch the level

Here are the levels and the replays I got from Icho on his Youtube channel.

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2023, 06:36:08 AM »
@ericderkovits
Thank you eric :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I included both levels and replays accordingly!

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2023, 06:12:03 AM »
Levels and replays from LDC#28 are included to the pack now :D

Offline Armani

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2024, 07:43:09 AM »
LDC#29 is now included to the pack.
Also I replaced all the update levels of Cranium upto v1.07 ;)