Author Topic: Oldschool Lemedit  (Read 7392 times)

Offline Leviathan

• View Profile
Oldschool Lemedit
« on: July 04, 2022, 10:41:10 PM »
I’m back after some 10 years and by that time, there was a previous Lemmings forum where people could exchange levels created by Lemedit on Dosbox.
I found some levelpacks I created on an old hd using pixel precision and some glitches (in DOS).
Is this editor still being used, are there new levels created here, and are modern alternatives with, our without the original glitches?
BTW, I’m aware of ALL glitches in the original DOS including the giant leaper trick😁

Offline Proxima

• View Profile
Re: Oldschool Lemedit
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 11:04:00 PM »
LemEdit / CustLemm has fallen by the wayside a long time ago. NeoLemmix is the dominant editor and engine now, because it works in Windows without needing DOSBox, and is a lot friendlier to use (both in terms of the editor and pack structures, and in having quality-of-life improvements during play, such as framestepping and precise selection options), and has a lot of new features (new skills and objects, etc) that many designers find exciting and interesting to work with, although of course it's perfectly possible to design and play levels that use just the original skills and objects.

Offline jkapp76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 03:17:33 PM »
I also used Lemedit years ago. Is there any way to convert these?
...Jeremy Kapp

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 02:48:08 AM »

NeoLemmix versions up to and including 12.9.X can read DOS LVL files and, by running them through the "cleanse levels" function, output them as NXLV (NeoLemmix level file) equivalents. 12.10.X and onwards dropped support for legacy / other engine formats.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

Offline Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 05:05:54 PM »
Are any original glitches included in Lemmix?

Offline IchoTolot

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 08:07:42 PM »
Are any original glitches included in Lemmix?

If you mean actual Lemmix - it should have all DOS glitches as it is an exact clone of the DOS game. At least to my knowledge.

NeoLemmix on the other hand removed all original glitches for cleaner physics.

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 01:17:49 AM »
NeoLemmix on the other hand removed all original glitches for cleaner physics.

One of my favourite things about NL. I always feel somewhat disappointed when I learn that some amazing lem save count was achieved by exploiting a glitch.

Don't get me wrong, I like a fun glitch as much as the next player. It's just so much better when a game runs clean.

Offline Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 09:39:14 PM »
I feel more for the original game with glitches, and level makers taking account of the glitches, implementing them into otherwise impossible levels and stretching the potential of the original DOS game 😍

There was a time like 10 years ago when I only knew a few glitches an by accident stumbled on the giant leap glitch, and on a previous incarnation of this forum people were hesitant to reveil glitches...now, 10 years later all glitches can be found on the internet, my favourite being a miner glitch mining trough a one pixel gap, turning the lem into a blocker and falling through, still leaving 1 pixel of terrain.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 09:50:26 PM by Leviathan »

Offline The Mole UK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 01:26:06 AM »
So, no one uses DOS, eh?

Offline The Mole UK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 01:32:34 AM »
I worked out a way...

I convert from DAT to LVL (was a really old tool) - This works with Lemmix Player v29 Xmas.
Then another tool to convert to LVL to LVL Xmas (modern tools use a different file number).
Then used NeoLemmix to convert that LVL 9O to NVLX 9O.  However, bouncing snowman was behind graphics.  So, I removed it.

Think I prefer DOS/Lemmix Players v29.  But DOS is best for me.

The Lemmix Players v29 are really good.  9/10.  They pretty much capture the feel of the DOS originals and play well too.

Offline The Mole UK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 11:04:51 PM »
Made this today...  The level 0101.lvl that is...