Author Topic: 2022 Roadmap  (Read 213 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
2022 Roadmap
« on: December 30, 2021, 10:37:15 PM »
2017 -- 2018 -- 2020 -- 2022

Hi,

before the happy new year 2022, here is the Lix development roadmap for 2022. Thank you for all of your input at Slow additions or experimental fork!
  • Make the game server accept different minor versions. In a room, everybody should still have the same minor version. Users of the current minor version, 0.9, should still be able to connect to this server and see other 0.9 users. I need a flexible server anyway to support physics experimentation with our community, thus it's not that far a stretch to also make it 0.9-compatible.
  • Stabilize the physics changes that have been on the backburner since 2017, and release a stable 0.10.x with singleplayer fully proof-covered. 0.10 will not have neutral lix yet.
  • Offer an experimental version with neutral lix in multiplayer. It's okay if it takes until 2023 or later to merge anything like this into stable. It's probably okay to have a strange level format for neutral lix before neutral lix stabilize, but that's a separate concern, I'll think about it when the time comes.
  • Add HTTPS to lixgame.com. Some reasons, also I want to learn it and lixgame.com is the obvious learning project, and the knowledge is remotely related to my day job.
-- Simon
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:32:14 AM by Simon »

Offline Flopsy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Roadmap
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:55:57 AM »
I would still also like to help with categorising the Lix multiplayer levels if that is even on the agenda anymore?

Also I'm going to take this opportunity to publicly announce that I am no longer creating any NeoLemmix content and want to focus full time on Lix. I'm changing my "field of study"

I want to continue creating multiplayer levels for the community, help categorise the existing levels with input from the Lix community, and maybe even delve into single player content in the future :).
Flopsy's YouTube Channel

SEB Lems (160 levels)
MegSEGAbytes (40 levels)
Modular Lems (10 level minipack)
Gotta Go Fast (NEW 189 level pack as of Sept 2021)
The Flopsy Disk Drive (53 level pack of unused levels)

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 04:45:44 AM »
Add HTTPS to lixgame.com. Some reasons, also I want to learn it and lixgame.com is the obvious learning project, and the knowledge is remotely related to my day job.

This is by far the easiest task on here, and should be something you* can figure out and implement in the space of a few hours, if that.

Look up LetsEncrypt as your starting point.

* just to be clear, I specifically mean "you" as in Simon here; someone with less technical background knowledge might not find it this easy

Offline Simon

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lix
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 05:46:03 PM »
categorising the Lix multiplayer levels if that is even on the agenda anymore?

Yes, since you're pushing for it, I'm happy to support that even before I work on the server. If we have tags per level, that will be easy to implement with good backwards-compatibility onto the existing level format. Older Lix versions (= the current 0.9.40 and older) will discard the tags and interpret the remainder of the level exactly the same as tag-supporting Lix.

mobius made a thread in 2019, Organize Multiplayer Levels, I'll post there within 0-2 days.

Add HTTPS to lixgame.com.
Look up LetsEncrypt as your starting point.

Right, that is the plan: Update the webserver, install its extensions that handle HTTPS, and look into Let's Encrypt.

-- Simon