Author Topic: Lemmings PS3 Sounds  (Read 2575 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Lemmings PS3 Sounds
« on: October 30, 2021, 01:59:36 AM »
I've done a quick internet search and can't find the sounds for Lemmings (2007) on PS3. There's a great pickup sound in there which would be good for pickups/buttons/other general stuff if we can get hold of it somehow...

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
Re: Lemmings PS3 Sounds
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 03:26:37 PM »
Do you know about "ripping" music and sound effects from games? Basically it is possible to use special software and such to get sound effects and music as music files out of games. I'd assume this would be possible somehow for PS3 lemmings.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 03:31:55 AM »
Do you know about "ripping" music and sound effects from games?

Yes, I'm aware it can be done.

My next question then is whether anyone has already done it, to save me the job ;P

Offline Silken Healer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »
I've looked around on some websites and haven't found anything

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 05:12:34 PM »
I've got a modded PS3, I should at least be able to gain access to unencrypted copies of the raw data files that way. Whether or not the sound will be in a useful format is another question. (I would have to set up said PS3 though, as it's currently packed away.)

If all else fails, there's always the analog loophole (ie: turn the music right down, record gameplay, and manually clip the sounds you want out of the gameplay footage using a sound editor).
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 06:10:51 PM »
If it's in some proprietary format, there's a program I found called PSound that might be able to extract the sounds, depends on the format. Says it's designed mostly for PS1 and 2 files, but I tried it on the sound effect file for Lemmings Touch on the Vita and it worked fine, so it's worth a try. ;)

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 10:33:17 PM »
there's always the analog loophole (ie: turn the music right down, record gameplay, and manually clip the sounds you want out of the gameplay footage using a sound editor).

This is a good idea :thumbsup: if I get time I'll have a look at doing it this way. The obvious benefit of this method is that the sound file can exist in whatever format we wish.

there's a program I found called PSound that might be able to extract the sounds

Is this via emulator on a PC, or can it work with a PS3/4?

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 03:49:24 AM »
there's a program I found called PSound that might be able to extract the sounds

Is this via emulator on a PC, or can it work with a PS3/4?

It runs on PC, not really through an emulator. All it really does is convert the raw sound data that you would have already extracted from the game into WAVs.

Offline namida

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • NeoLemmix Website
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2021, 07:42:36 AM »
Okay so, I had a shot at trying to extract the sound from PS3 Lemmings.

I was able to successfully extract the music. Download link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am6NTdy4vnPXhcZNzqNIFfYIShNWjQ?e=1eb3d4

Unfortunately, I had no such luck with the SFX. Here are the files that I believe contain them, but I have not at this stage figured out how to extract them. I'll look at it again another time maybe.
My Lemmings projects
2D Lemmings: NeoLemmix (engine) | Lemmings Plus Series (level packs) | Doomsday Lemmings (level pack)
3D Lemmings: Loap (engine) | L3DEdit (level / graphics editor) | L3DUtils (replay / etc utility) | Lemmings Plus 3D (level pack)

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2021, 12:26:29 PM »
As I suspected, PSound worked a treat. Here's your sound files! :D

Note that they've all been set to loop by the extractor. I'll have to fix that later :forehead:

EDIT: Fixed! :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 01:15:32 PM by The Tomato Watcher »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »
Well done and thanks @namida @The Tomato Watcher! :thumbsup: :lemcat:

This is the one I was thinking would be good for the pickup sound. I've increased the volume a bit and titled it "pickup" - not sure if it's too late to have it as the default sound, but at least people can use it for custom pickups for now.