Author Topic: [NeoLemmix] Lemminas II Development Topic - Notes  (Read 7265 times)

Offline WillLem

• Unity isn't sameness, it's togetherness
    • View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemminas II Development Topic
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 03:50:09 PM »
Still deliberating on the sprites, but I have several possibilities lined up:

Option A - Use the "sonic lemminas" (sprite C in the OP) as regulars and have their tunics be slightly darker for athletes. Zombie and neutral lemminas will remain the same as in the first Lemminas pack.

Pro: New look for a new pack
Con: Players have to get used to a new colour scheme
Con: I'll either have to tie this theme to each style or create these as new sprites, both of which are options I don't really like

Option B - Use the original lemminas (sprite A in the OP), keeping everything the same as in the first pack.

Pro: Keeps everything familiar
Pro: Further establishes the identity of the Lemminas
Pro: No work required
Con: No new look for a new pack

Option C - Use a totally different coloured set for each level theme. Zombie and neutral lemminas will remain the same as in the first Lemminas pack.

Pro: Takes "new look for a new pack" to another level
Pro: Gives each new style/theme totally its own identity
Con: Too much like Lemmings 2: The Tribes
Con: Players have to get used to several new colour schemes
Con: More work (although I'm using theme.nxtm for recolouring, so it's not that much more work)
Con: Ties each theme to the style, which I'd rather not do

Meanwhile, I've now completed at least draft versions of all 50 levels, and 3 of the 5 new tunes are basically finished. There's still a ways to go before it's "demo ready", but it's all coming along nicely :lemcat:

Here's a sneak peek of one of the new tiles. It's an exit for the new "honey" style:

Offline Dullstar

• View Profile
    • Leafwing Studios Website (EXTREMELY OUTDATED)
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 10:06:47 PM »
I'd go with Option B or Option C. If you can pick a consistent color for Zombies and Neutrals (which it sounds like you're already planning), I don't think the color schemes will be an issue, particularly if you use the convention of swapping hair and tunic colors for Option C (I don't remember what the original Lemminas does), and of all the things you can potentially complain about with Lemmings 2, I don't think the recolors per tribe are one of them. If anything they add a little diversity to the Lemmings.

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 01:53:18 PM »
OK, so.....

I've decided to go for Option C (i.e. giving each "world" its own sprites). If anyone has any objections to this decision, now's the time to tell me! Any feedback regarding this after the release date (currently slated for late Feb) will be ignored ;P

It should only add a couple of hours' extra editing work (one of the sets has a patterned tunic, which means manually editing those sprites - the others will be recoloured via theme.nxmi which is much quicker) and it ultimately seems worth it.

So far I've been aiming to iron out a lot of the kinks of the first Lemminas pack and make it even more accessible and with better-designed levels, whilst also adding a touch more variation in the decoration ;P I'm really hoping that Lemminas II will prove to be a step-up in quality for my level packs generally.

Speaking of levels, these are coming along very nicely and should be ready for testing very soon so please do let me know if you'd be interesting in volunteering for a test drive of the pack - it will be much appreciated! (Music is almost finished as well, I'll probably aim to get this finished before going into testing phase) :lemcat:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:33:33 PM by WillLem »

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
[NeoLemmix] Lemminas II Development Topic - PLAYTESTERS WANTED :)
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 01:26:42 PM »
Hey everyone, Lemminas II is ready for playtesting! Would anyone like to volunteer to give it a first look? I’m hoping to get 2 testers if possible, let me know if you’re interested :lemcat:

Offline Apjjm

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemminas II Development Topic - PLAYTESTERS WANTED :)
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 03:12:35 PM »
I would be interested to playtest :thumbsup:
My Level Packs: Quartet

Offline WillLem

• View Profile
Re: [NeoLemmix] Lemminas II Development Topic - PLAYTESTERS WANTED :)
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 01:19:59 PM »
OK, thanks! I have 2 playtesters now so I'll get the pack sent across to those who have volunteered :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 02:31:38 PM by WillLem »